Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Old 22nd January 2013, 19:54   #76
BHPian

Default re: Daily Mumbai traffic in a classic? - Yes! Ambassador bought and restored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philedonos View Post
Does anyone have any pictures of an ORIGINAL interior of a mid 60ies Ambassador? What was the material used and what colours existed?
Take a look at here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-w...ml#post2689770 (Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery).

These are pictures of a beautifully restored '66 Mark II.
josejoseph is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2013, 21:00   #77
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Daily Mumbai traffic in a classic? - Yes! Ambassador bought and restored.

@Philedonos:

My inputs are based on restoring and running my grandfather's Mk.II Ambassador.

1. Where the A/C vents are in your car, ought to be an instrument cluster. Are you (hopefully you are) planning to put an original Mk.II instrument cluster? There are pictures here on the forum of both designs that came with the Mk.II

2. Where the speedo/instruments are in your car currently, there should be a glove box.

3. What on earth is that wooden box doing there? Part of a "waterfall" centre console designed by previous owner?

4. The firewall leaks lots of heat from the engine because of the size of the cut-outs for brake & clutch pedals. They are as good as fresh air vents. Add to that the lack of any insulation on the firewall. I loved driving the Ambassador during cold winter nights in Bangalore - heater not required!

5. The combination switch-stalk on the RHS of steering wheel needs to go. The indicator switch should be on the steering boss (usually never self-cancels, although it was supposed to) and the dipper switch was next to the clutch pedal. Headlight switch was a 2-stage pull-out type on the dash.

6. The sunshade is an "original" accessory. Keep it.

7. Tail lights are from the Mark IV, if you can source original Mk.II ones, fit them.

Word of advise for summer. Assuming everything in your engine is original, keep an old cotton T-shirt and 2-litre bottle filled with water always in your car. The coil can overheat and stall the engine. Also, the original radiator was underspecified for Indian conditions. We retro-fitted a Matador 307 radiator with overflow tank, and the car never overheated.

Last edited by KiloAlpha : 22nd January 2013 at 21:02.
KiloAlpha is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2013, 22:10   #78
Senior - BHPian

As promised screen shots from the phaidon design classics book app.
Somebody has really botched up by putting this as an indian classic in my opinion. In my opinion atleast the mk 1 OHV was more deserving of the title but who knows how researchers look at things.
Attached Thumbnails
Daily Mumbai traffic in a classic? - Yes! Ambassador bought and restored.-image.jpg  

the mole is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2013, 22:16   #79
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
Somebody has really botched up by putting this as an indian classic in my opinion. In my opinion atleast the mk 1 OHV was more deserving of the title but who knows how researchers look at things.
Well I must admit, the Mark II does have some things in its favour - the grille with integrated side indicators is rather cool. While the Landmaster also has a sense of purpose about it, the Mark I some how I think is a tad tacky with that grille and bumper guards combined with the fins and creased bonnet. The Mark II is more purposeful some how - and I love the side badges especially.

Plus, this design is unique to India, and thats always a plus point in my book.
karlosdeville is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2013, 23:16   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by josejoseph View Post
Take a look at here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-w...ml#post2689770 (Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery).
These are pictures of a beautifully restored '66 Mark II.
Yes quite true, it is a beauty, every inch an original especially the gear lever, the switches, the ash tray behind the front seat back et al.
What is different is the upholstery, which used to be of two colours then and the all black tyres in place of white walled ones.

An interesting piece of info is the engine oil drain interval of a mere 1600 KMs and those tyres used to last for around 12K KMs only.

Last edited by rajeev k : 22nd January 2013 at 23:34.
rajeev k is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2013, 22:12   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ciao friends,

your Italian in Bombay has finally got a car! ]
Holy smoke!! I saw this 'Blinged out' Amby on the streets just two days back, and wondered who she belonged to. Wow, Phil - congratulations on a great buy
Hope to bump into you on Mumbai's mean streets someday !!
SuperSelect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2013, 23:08   #82
Senior - BHPian

Another iconic image of the MK 2 amby is by the famous indian photographer Raghu Rai i have always wanted to buy a limited edition print of this iconic photograph but unfortunately costs more than 4 amby mark2 s atleast ;-)
Attached Thumbnails
Daily Mumbai traffic in a classic? - Yes! Ambassador bought and restored.-image.jpg  

Last edited by the mole : 23rd January 2013 at 23:23.
the mole is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2013, 17:10   #83
BHPian

Boyz

how nice of all of you to comment and help.

Quote:
Another iconic image of the MK 2 amby is by the famous indian photographer Raghu Rai
The image is so evocative, I'll try to copy it, have seen the model in Lower Parel today :-)
Quote:
This is (until now) my all time favourite Mark II representation. Just adore it all...and those three faces. Priceless.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
Holy smoke!! I saw this 'Blinged out' Amby on the streets just two days back, [...]Hope to bump into you on Mumbai's mean streets someday !!
How did you manage to see me, at the speed I race? ;-) You will also hear me soon, just found out where my second horn is operated from, it scares the soul out of any Holy Cow (with due respect).
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Well I must admit, the Mark II does have some things in its favour - the grille with integrated side indicators is rather cool. [..]and I love the side badges especially.
I agree and I WANT both :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by josejoseph View Post
[...]These are pictures of a beautifully restored '66 Mark II.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
[...]What is different is the upholstery, which used to be of two colours then and the all black tyres in place of white walled ones....]
I had downloaded and drooled over these pics some time ago. That's exactly how I would want it, but maybe in a rarer colour (does anyone know what colours Mark IIs came in and what two tones the interior was in?). As you might have noticed, the upholstery design is the same on this car as on mine.
Quote:
The heat is one of the elements which are the real fun of owning an Amby which is to be really enjoyed.
Do not throw off the SU carburetor.
The Amby, in those days came with a mere rubber mat and buyers used to put thicker coir mats which were so common in those days atop it. The issue with them is that if wet it emanates a foul smell.
I enjoy the Ambassador a lot, will try to convince myself that hot feet should be enjoyed too ;-) No worries, the SU will stay with us, love it! As for the rubber mats, was there no insulation below them?
Philedonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2013, 18:17   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
My inputs are based on restoring and running my grandfather's Mk.II Ambassador. [...]
First of all, thank you for the advice!
To your points:
1. yes, I know and I am planning to put an original Mk.II instrument cluster there, IF I can find it (where???)
2. Yes, seen in pictures of other Mark IIs
3. It was designed my a famous architect called I.M. Kitch :-)
4. Should I move to Bangalore or add insulation, hehe?
5. The indicator switch on the steering boss and the dipper switch next to the clutch pedal are still there but have to be "reactivated". Do you know where on the dash the headlight switch was? I am trying to figure out the use of the four switches next to the ignition key hole, as their use has been modified.
6. Useful, so I'll keep it!
7. Looking for tail lights from the Mk II. HELP!!
As for the old cotton T-shirt and 2-litre bottle filled with water, I found them in the booot already;-) The original radiator was removed, cleaned and sealed and seems fine now, but the car overheats too quickly, have to understand why soon, considering the coil has been replaced by a new one.
Philedonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2013, 20:45   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
does anyone know what colours Mark IIs came in and what two tones the interior was in?
For black colored cars, the upholstery used to be in Red and Grey. The design of the seats are almost similar. The grey used to be in those vertically stitched inner portion. The door pads did not have the vertical stitchings but were just plain in top of red and bottom grey and the dashboard liner was of red.
Regarding mats there used to be no insulation.

Last edited by rajeev k : 24th January 2013 at 20:51.
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2013, 14:52   #86
BHPian

Quote:
For black colored cars, the upholstery used to be in Red and Grey. The design of the seats are almost similar. The grey used to be in those vertically stitched inner portion. The door pads did not have the vertical stitchings but were just plain in top of red and bottom grey and the dashboard liner was of red.
Regarding mats there used to be no insulation.
Hello Rajeev, thank you for the information, very clear! If anyone has a picture of such a two tone interior (original or well restored), please do post it...

In the meantime I post some pictures of the engine. Quite a few things have been added by previos owners (the additional horn, the firewall "cover", the rests of the a/c which you see on the right of the engine etc).
Attached Thumbnails
Daily Mumbai traffic in a classic? - Yes! Ambassador bought and restored.-dscf2162.jpg  

Daily Mumbai traffic in a classic? - Yes! Ambassador bought and restored.-dscf2163.jpg  

Daily Mumbai traffic in a classic? - Yes! Ambassador bought and restored.-dscf2160.jpg  

Daily Mumbai traffic in a classic? - Yes! Ambassador bought and restored.-dscf2161.jpg  

Philedonos is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2013, 15:11   #87
Senior - BHPian

I see two ignition coils out there, perhaps one as a standby for emergency use. The engine bay is as good as vintage except for the firewall cladding. Usually these insulation was done along with retro-fitment of diesel engines.
Your car has an alternator which may be a later day change from the original dynamo.
rajeev k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2013, 12:47   #88
BHPian

Quote:
I see two ignition coils out there, perhaps one as a standby for emergency use. The engine bay is as good as vintage except for the firewall cladding. Usually these insulation was done along with retro-fitment of diesel engines.
Your car has an alternator which may be a later day change from the original dynamo.
Hello Rajeev,

again, thank you or your advice! There are indeed two coils, the new one is in action, the older one I'll have to remove and keep in the boot for emergency use.
I absolutely HATE the firewall cladding, let's see if we manage getting rid of it without dismantling half the car. I will clean the engine bay on Wednesday, so will check some details I didn't have the time to see before.
The alternator indeed looks quite modern but seems to do a good job: I drive the car with the lights on most of the time (as I get home late from work) and the battery loading is fine.
Yesterday I realised that the lights are still switchend on by the round button which surrounds the ignition key and not only by the (non original) combo on the streering column. The car will go back to the mechanic soon for some minor issues and I will try to get him to remove all those unnecessary electrical equipments, bringing the indicators back to the position on the steering wheel and the light swich on the dash.

Have I told you I love this car? I Love it love it love it. My neighbours have asked me if it belongs to me, they all are quite envious (poor them, own BMWs 7 series only, boring).
And the old gent still goes quite strong, recently I reached 90km/h on the Elphinstone flyower, without even noticing the speed, surprisingly silent.
Attached Thumbnails
Daily Mumbai traffic in a classic? - Yes! Ambassador bought and restored.-dscf2151.jpg  

Philedonos is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2013, 12:57   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I absolutely HATE the firewall cladding, let's see if we manage getting rid of it without dismantling half the car. I will clean the engine bay on Wednesday, I will try to get him to remove all those unnecessary electrical equipments, bringing the indicators back to the position on the steering wheel and the light swich on the dash.
Have I told you I love this car? I Love it love it love it. they all are quite envious...recently I reached 90km/h on the Elphinstone flyower, without even noticing the speed, surprisingly silent.
You have an Amby which is an Owners pride neighbor's envy quoting a once famous adline.
Be careful with the electrician/mechanic, they sgould not remove original switches and all. Take care.
rajeev k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2013, 13:28   #90
BHPian

Hi Daniel, I got a glimpse of you driving your Amby this morning on Pedder road. Brought back memories of our own MRZ 5783, also a 1966 model which came by wagon from Calcutta after which Dad and I went to National Garage to bring her home. It had two large Smith combination meters, the speed in miles, was dove grey in colour with matching seats, but not in two tone. The bumper over riders were the large up right ones seen on the earlier Mark 1. We sold this car to Team bhp member Rehan's grand father who having totalled his 1950/51 Dodge, was looking out for a smaller car. Perhaps Rehan can ask his dad's younger brother the fate of 5783. I recall driving this amby trouble free, for many miles all around the country. Subsequent years only showed quality going rapidly downhill. You had earlier mentioned that the Horn does not work. Well amongst Amby owners, the joke always was that every part of an Ambassador made a sound, EXCEPT the horn. Enjoy your car and join us in our out station drives. I assure you , it will be fun.
Bulldogji is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote