Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Old 31st January 2013, 17:31   #61
Default Re: Rolls Royce Phantom II Continental Restoration

Ragtop, I absolutely adore the BEAT THE MASCOT MANIAC story ;-)
The sar isn't bad either, haha.
Philedonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2013, 00:23   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

This is a fantastic report on a restoration. My gut feeling is that the restoration has progressed beyond the stages shown here, and the car may be almost ready. Its supposed to be a Cartier entry, non-competitive.
Why non-competitive is not clear to me. The car has had a complete makeover since the last participation, it has reached a higher level than ever and is a potential winner or would end up near the top. The wisemen of this Cartier event seem to be afraid of allowing worthy cars to compete for prizes. This is seen by the entries which are known to us, and by the absence of certain cars also known to us.

More on this subject at suitable time and forum.

Cheers harit
harit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2013, 11:41   #63

Hi Harit, yes we are further along, but not by much!! I have just not had the time to add information to the thread, will do so in a few days and bring it up to speed with the current position status of the car hopefully...
Ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2013, 09:40   #64

The past few days have been really busy. Progress has been slow but with a deadline looming, we cant let up. Heres an update on the work.

All the bits for chroming were gathered and the in - house plant was finally activated. Learned a whole new bunch of lingo and processes from this exercise - de-chroming, de-nickel, buffing, nickel plating, copper plating, chroming etc. It was a bit of trial and error at first but it all seemed to come together thereafter. here are some of the before images, the after will be best appreciated once installed.

Name:  IMG_2955_800x600.JPG
Views: 2033
Size:  104.9 KB

The mystery of the missing wheel caps is finally put to rest here, these are the originals being prepped for chrome.

Name:  IMG_2978_800x600.JPG
Views: 2011
Size:  114.3 KB

The wood polish was finally complete. Now we had to install all the components for the dash before we installed the finished product onto the car.

Name:  IMG_2964_800x600.JPG
Views: 2054
Size:  89.3 KB

Tyres mounted and now awaiting balancing before we can mount all the wheel accessories. More on this later

Name:  IMG_2972_800x600.JPG
Views: 2017
Size:  95.9 KB

Engine complete, all linkages installed, now awaiting carburetter cleaning and installation

Name:  IMG_2991_800x600.JPG
Views: 2845
Size:  130.8 KB

Carb dismantled and being cleaned prior to installation.

Name:  IMG_2998_800x600.JPG
Views: 2064
Size:  133.1 KB

One of the hubs was leaking oil, the problem was traced to a plugged drain hole - here is the hub being cleaned. Notice the 2 sets of brake liners, the wider set activated by the primary brakes and the narrow set activated by the hand brake. At low speeds when RPM's are low, the brake booster is not very effective so the primary brakes are quite weak, at this time the driver has to rely on the hand brake so it is essential that this is working at its best all the time.

Name:  IMG_3000_800x600.JPG
Views: 1984
Size:  128.9 KB
Headliner going in.

Name:  IMG_3001_800x600.JPG
Views: 1972
Size:  72.9 KB

Some of the pieces ready with copper plating, now to be buffed and chromed.

Name:  IMG_3008_800x600.JPG
Views: 2031
Size:  109.0 KB
Wheel discs being prepped for paint. The shiny ring is to be left in chrome.

Name:  IMG_3011_800x600.JPG
Views: 2040
Size:  119.5 KB

Wheel balancing being done. Each wheel had 3 weight mount caps on it. The process entails lifting off the wheel and rotating it to identify any weight bias. Then I add weights and continue the process of spinning and adding weights until the wheel spins freely and comes to a stop without any bias towards any particular point. It must also not rotate in reverse after coming to a stop. This is a tedious process and takes about 30 minutes a wheel to complete. here are before and after images.

Name:  IMG_3014_800x600.JPG
Views: 1942
Size:  71.7 KB

Name:  IMG_3015_800x600.JPG
Views: 1969
Size:  80.8 KB

New bump stops procured and replaced.

Name:  IMG_3016_800x600.JPG
Views: 1959
Size:  128.7 KB

Prop shaft / universal joint bearings replaced

Name:  IMG_3056_800x600.JPG
Views: 2073
Size:  106.8 KB

Finally, the gearbox is back and installed. Now the tedious process of reinstalling all the links for accelerator, brake, clutch, brake booster, suspension control etc.

Name:  IMG_3057_800x600.JPG
Views: 2004
Size:  119.2 KB

At this stage we were ready to mount the body and begin the task of reinstalling all the components, much easier said than done though. As we have learned over the past few days, very little goes together like we expect it to. Every component has taken longer than planned. I will upload more images shortly to show the current status of the car.

The engine was started and is sounding great. Tuning took days! Thanks to Jehangir that she is sounding fantastic. Just a few days to go and lots of work still pending.
Ragtop is offline   (13) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2013, 11:25   #65

We finally got the car finished just in time for the Cartier show, Well not quite on time, we actually made it there late Saturday night. The last 2-3 nights were all nighters and everyone involved was exhausted.

We had to take a few short cuts to get the car ready, however, needless to say, all of these short cuts will be attended to immediately. The car was started and driven straight to the show with no time for any testing. As is expected after any restoration of this magnitude, a lot of issues cropped up on the way there that need to be addressed. Overall, here are my thoughts based on what we set out to achieve:

1. Get the car back to original specifications: I think Marespand and his team did a great job! I love the outcome as does the rest of my family. While others may have differing opinions, I feel really good about it.
2. Improve ride quality by overhauling the suspension: This is probably the single greatest improvement in the car! The car feels a whole lot better to drive and handles bad roads much better than it did before.
3. eliminate/reduce body squeaks: While this has improved, it is after all a wooden frame and this, coupled with our roads are bound to create some twisting and consequential squeaking in the body. We will work on some of these but I will probably have to live with some noise.
4. Fix the gear box issue: While we seem to have solved the 2nd gear issue, the gearbox has thrown up some other problems that need to be addressed urgently! So its off with gear box soon to fix things!
5. Improve / lighten steering feel: This was a big one on my list. The work done to the suspension camber and steering column seems to have helped but only just a bit. Once the car is rolling, the car seems marginally lighter, however at standstill or crawling speeds, its as heavy as ever. I spoke with David M. from Hongkong who has a bunch of experience with Phantom II's. He gave us a number of pointers which we will attempt and hopefully improve steering feel further.

Here are some images from the show. I will post some more detailed shots in a few days and also update this thread as we fix the issues that have been identified. Thanks for reading!

Name:  DSC01697_800x532.JPG
Views: 1747
Size:  171.3 KB

Name:  DSC01699_800x532.JPG
Views: 1731
Size:  162.3 KB

Name:  DSC01700_800x532.JPG
Views: 1708
Size:  146.4 KB

Name:  DSC01703_800x532.JPG
Views: 1732
Size:  183.1 KB

Name:  DSC01705_800x532.JPG
Views: 1726
Size:  170.9 KB

Name:  DSC01706_800x532.JPG
Views: 1700
Size:  196.7 KB

Name:  DSC01708_800x532.JPG
Views: 1702
Size:  180.4 KB

Name:  DSC01716_800x532.JPG
Views: 1711
Size:  180.2 KB

Name:  DSC01715_800x532.JPG
Views: 1704
Size:  178.5 KB
Ragtop is offline   (16) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2013, 14:08   #66

The self styled Italian "magister elegantiarum" of this august Forum gives you a big thumbs up! Not only have you done a splendid job, the choice of the two tones, both the green and the light cream, is impeccable. I know how difficult this is, as I went through this myself with a 1920ies car and my two tone Traction Avant. The rests of the original colour have generally faded and changed with time, so you need a lot of creativity to understand what the bodyshape requires and what the intentions of the original colour sheme were. In this case I think the itention was twofold: to make it look young and light.
As much as I liked the black and cream combination, I must admit that the car looks much more modern and playboyish in this form. Considering the body is that of a Continental, "younger" colours go well; the black and beige is more appropriate for a sedan body, I'd say. We'll all get used to the new combination, I have changed the tones of the car in my dreams already...
Philedonos is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2013, 14:24   #67
Senior - BHPian

Hearty congratulations on completing the restoration. Glad to hear your objectives were met.

I personally don't like this colour combination at all but realise people have differing tastes and what works for the owner I suppose is ultimately what matters. I would have done a very very pale green if this combination were to work for me.

its a spectacular car Amir and wish you years of happy motoring

Last edited by DKG : 11th February 2013 at 14:26.
DKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2013, 14:26   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Great work and excellent detailing to the engine bay. Enthusiasts and owners of these magnificent machines are aware that nothing can be 100% so glitches and them being addressed are always going to be there.

Some snaps of the 100s taken !. Magnificent to see both the Jodhpur cars in one frame.

Cheers and outstanding workmanship once again and congratulations to you and the team for this work of art recreated for us to drool

Rolls Royce Phantom II Continental Restoration-dsc_0754.jpg

Rolls Royce Phantom II Continental Restoration-dsc_0810.jpg
kasli is offline   (9) Thanks Reply With Quote