Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Old 18th May 2013, 17:27   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Restrictions lifted on the import of Pre-1950 cars into India

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
.........Therefore, hopefully a test vintage will come in, or there will be clarification. Till then, I will keep quiet unless concrete info is obtained. Cheers harit
Hopefully this test case will happen soon. Some enthusiasts already have a collection abroad, waiting to be shipped. Others have lately become active in aquiring cars. Hopefully we will get the answers to our questions. There are still so many gaps in information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
......For eg:You may remember the Austin Mini Moke(yellow) which was imported from Srilanka to Kerala(Now in Madras).It was allowed to be registered in 2008 in Kerala without any homologation. Similarly a Riley of the fifties has been imported and registered in South India 2 years back
True, every cars did not need homologation. I believe, and I may even be wrong, is that this has more to do with modern cars for which the manufacturer is present in India. They import say the top Limousine of their range as a CBU, that has to be homologated, and if someone choses to import this model directly new or used, then such a car must be homologated. But when one brings in a car under TR, and it is older, this is not required. But why break head, await the entry of the first Guinea pig.

Cheers harit
harit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2013, 18:39   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

The government's move is welcomed as the first step towards some much awaited and desired cognizance towards vintage and classic beauties and their well being in India. The last move ever was done in 1971 by the then Union Minister for Commerce, Mr Mohan Dharia ( 42 years ago) who had banned exports of cars made before 1950 and bikes made before 1940.
For 42 years, the government was silent on any sops for V & C beauties or anything else of that sort.
In 2009, I had taken up the matter with Mr Vijay Darda, Member of Parliament and Chairman Lokmat Group, who had always given me a patient audience and had written letters to the then Cabinet Secretary and then even to the Hon'ble Prime Minister ( as it involved many Ministries ) on the need to preserve the beauties and allow imports of duty free spares for their preservation.
The reply from the PMO then in 2009, stated that these measures are not a priority for the government at present.
Again in early 2013, I raked up the issue with Advocate Diljeet Titus, who is based in New Delhi and is an avid V & C fan. He was and is still very positive on this front and had agreed to take up the issue with the Union Government.
Our thanks to Advocate Diljeet Titus for his efforts and we hope more news may come along for sops to V & C beauties, mainly for their preservation, good health and well being in India.

Some of the earlier moves in this direction are chronicled on this thread:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...ars-bikes.html (SOPs for Vintage and Classic Cars and Bikes)

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 18th May 2013 at 19:02.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2013, 18:52   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
.......Our thanks to Advocate Diljeet Titus for his efforts and we hope more news may come along for sops to V & C beauties, mainly for their preservation, good health and well being in India.........
My info says that this present notification came about with the efforts of a Mr. Singh of Rajasthan who worked on this and obtained several signatures from various MP's to get this import policy suitable for our needs. I do not know Mr. Singh personally.
I believe that several persons were working on this, Diljeet, Doc, Nitin (for the Star) but Mr. Singh clinched the deal. But all efforts have to be applauded.
Does anyone have different info on this?
Now lets wait for the Guinea pig, who's it going to be?

Cheers harit
harit is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2013, 21:17   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My info says that this present notification came about with the efforts of a Mr. Singh of Rajasthan who worked on this and obtained several signatures from various MP's to get this import policy suitable for our needs. I do not know Mr. Singh personally.
I believe that several persons were working on this, Diljeet, Doc, Nitin (for the Star) but Mr. Singh clinched the deal. But all efforts have to be applauded.
Does anyone have different info on this?
Now lets wait for the Guinea pig, who's it going to be?

Cheers harit
Its very good that it was a joint effort and lets hope for more and more in the future.
But our one suggestion to all V & C fans is to be proactive on this front and to sincerely think of taking up with the Union government, such issues, aimed at preserving our car and bike population and also adding to the numbers through the appropriate channels.
anjan_c2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2013, 11:35   #50
BANNED

So no individual can import post 1950 car ?

Can someone please clarify that point ?

Pre 1950 is just for the very very rich as those cars are going to very expensive to buy and maintain.
supercars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2013, 09:19   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercars View Post
So no individual can import post 1950 car ?

Can someone please clarify that point ?

Pre 1950 is just for the very very rich as those cars are going to very expensive to buy and maintain.
The cost of Classic and Vintage cars are much less expensive in The U.S and Canada than in India.

I'd suggest you google "Hemmings Motor News" the biggest old car publication and check out the thousands of cars that are listed in their Mag. Even adding in the shipping costs, they are less expensive.
john a milne is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2013, 10:06   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by john a milne View Post
The cost of Classic and Vintage cars are much less expensive in The U.S and Canada than in India.

I'd suggest you google "Hemmings Motor News" the biggest old car publication and check out the thousands of cars that are listed in their Mag. Even adding in the shipping costs, they are less expensive.
I saw these Rolls Royces three years ago at a Rolls Royce repair garage located about 50 miles south of New York who had a number of high end cars for sale. This had right hand drive, was a good runner but needed some minor body work and the interior wood needed to be refinished. The PRICE - US 11,500!

The other car was a pre 1950, had an aluminum body, in reasonable running
condition but need a new interior and body work that I was told would cost about 20 lakh. The price was around 15 lakh!

I had a 1968 Jaguar Mark 11 - 340 sedan for 28 years, absolutely original, 55.000 miles and in 2002 attended 4 JCNA Concours, driving 250 to 375 miles and placed 4th in Class 9 for all Mark 11s in North America with 99.55 pts and in Preservation Class 18 for any Jaguar 20 years or older, came 2nd with 99.78pts. With great difficulty and after 2 years the best offer I got was 15 lakh. If it had been a right hand car the price would have been about 30% less.

Hopefully the import restrictions for Classic & Vintage Cars will slowly be lifted as well as parts that will save so many cars from being scrapped here due to the high cost of restoring them. A Win Win situation for cars lovers around the world.
Attached Thumbnails
Restrictions lifted on the import of Pre-1950 cars into India-img_5230.jpg  

Restrictions lifted on the import of Pre-1950 cars into India-img_5214.jpg  

Restrictions lifted on the import of Pre-1950 cars into India-img_5208.jpg  

Restrictions lifted on the import of Pre-1950 cars into India-img_5211.jpg  

Restrictions lifted on the import of Pre-1950 cars into India-img_5210.jpg  

Restrictions lifted on the import of Pre-1950 cars into India-img_5228.jpg  

Restrictions lifted on the import of Pre-1950 cars into India-img_5229.jpg  

Restrictions lifted on the import of Pre-1950 cars into India-img_5212.jpg  

Restrictions lifted on the import of Pre-1950 cars into India-2.jpg  

Restrictions lifted on the import of Pre-1950 cars into India-6.jpg  

Restrictions lifted on the import of Pre-1950 cars into India-5.jpg  

Restrictions lifted on the import of Pre-1950 cars into India-9_2.jpg  

Restrictions lifted on the import of Pre-1950 cars into India-11.jpg  

Restrictions lifted on the import of Pre-1950 cars into India-10_2.jpg  

john a milne is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2013, 19:12   #53
BHPian

I've heard that the laws have changed recently(10 years ago or so).
can you import used cars from the 80's or 90's? (as an NRI)
I've found conflicting information on the internet, some saying more 3 years old isn't possible, some saying all that you require is to own the vehicle for atleast a year and have stayed atleast 2 years. all that remains the same throughout these online article is that it must be RHD, road worthy for 5 years and availability of service. so wanted to confirm.
Dee_aRe_Cee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2013, 13:51   #54

So have some imported cars finally reached Indian shores ? It would be interesting to know what legal complications they faced and how they overcame them.
parthmehd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2013, 22:16   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee_aRe_Cee View Post
I've heard that the laws have changed recently(10 years ago or so).
can you import used cars from the 80's or 90's? (as an NRI)
I've found conflicting information on the internet, some saying more 3 years old isn't possible, some saying all that you require is to own the vehicle for atleast a year and have stayed atleast 2 years. all that remains the same throughout these online article is that it must be RHD, road worthy for 5 years and availability of service. so wanted to confirm.
Do not refer the countless online articles, they haven't been updated. Always refer the Mumbai or Chennai Customs website. Importing a used car is banned regardless of condition or LHD/RHD. Pre-1950s cars, however are exempted from any bans related to used car imports.
Rosso Corsa is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2013, 16:08   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parthmehd View Post
So have some imported cars finally reached ........what legal complications they faced and how they overcame them.
As far as I know no car has come in under the pre 1950 scheme. Some old cars have come in legally under TR.
The biggest hitch is the valuation. As everyone knows, old cars, unlike new cars do not have a price list. And prices vary because of so many factors, one cannot quantify. Apparently no one is willing to be the guinea pig (a person or thing used as a subject for experiment).

Cheers harit
harit is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2013, 20:50   #57
BHPian

Some big influence by big collectors. But, the duty is still over 200%. It is obvious how the duty amount will be circumvented. Nothing much to be excited about this notification.
C.S.ANANTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2014, 21:30   #58
BHPian

Quote:
As far as I know no car has come in under the pre 1950 scheme. Some old cars have come in legally under TR.
The biggest hitch is the valuation. As everyone knows, old cars, unlike new cars do not have a price list. And prices vary because of so many factors, one cannot quantify. Apparently no one is willing to be the guinea pig (a person or thing used as a subject for experiment).

Cheers harit
I am guessing they came under TR before the rules were changed. Now cars under TR need to be RHD. To be honest, the TR rules are same as normal imports.
Rosso Corsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2014, 23:52   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso Corsa View Post
I am guessing they came under TR before the rules were changed. Now cars under TR need to be RHD. To be honest, the TR rules are same as normal imports.
Hello, my post was of August 2013. Things have changed/progressed since then

It seems that valuation is now not an issue, apparently duty of 220% or so is on the value of the car when sold NEW less depreciation. But the bummer is registration of the vehicle. In my opinion, and its only mine, one cannot legally register vehicles which came under this scheme for road use. Another cost to be factored is the 20% VCCCI wants to charge to help you get your car in
Lets wait and see where this leads to, the registration process.
I have seen and heard that Cadillac's are the most favored marque coming in under this scheme, I can't understand why. The RR P III makes more sense even if the engine needs to be sorted.

Cheers harit
harit is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2014, 12:37   #60
BHPian

Since the last post in April 2013, what is the clarity on this?
Also, a few riders from my motorcycle riding teams occaisionally locate an odd masterpiece overseas---
Can anyone help/?
Regards.
Hammer & Anvil is offline   Reply With Quote