Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 1st May 2013, 15:48   #1
Team-BHP Support
 
karlosdeville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 9,628
Thanked: 8,107 Times
Default PICS - Vintage & Classic Bike Rally, Pune 2002

Pune had witnessed a fantastic rally organised in 2002 (I think), at the Police grounds. This event was exclusively for vintage and classic bikes, with a good measure of scooters joining in. I don't recall who had organized it, though it was a great success, with a large participation and even out-of-towners. This was 10 years ago, before I was even of riding age , so I was a spectator.

In those days of film cameras, number of images were restricted, so this is all I have. Nigel, Joji and others - did you attend? Any pictures to share?

PICS - Vintage & Classic Bike Rally, Pune 2002-bmw01.jpg

PICS - Vintage & Classic Bike Rally, Pune 2002-bmw02.jpg

PICS - Vintage & Classic Bike Rally, Pune 2002-bmw03.jpg

PICS - Vintage & Classic Bike Rally, Pune 2002-bsa01.jpg

PICS - Vintage & Classic Bike Rally, Pune 2002-bsa02.jpg

PICS - Vintage & Classic Bike Rally, Pune 2002-bsa03.jpg

PICS - Vintage & Classic Bike Rally, Pune 2002-bsa04.jpg

PICS - Vintage & Classic Bike Rally, Pune 2002-bsa05.jpg

PICS - Vintage & Classic Bike Rally, Pune 2002-norton01.jpg

PICS - Vintage & Classic Bike Rally, Pune 2002-norton02.jpg

PICS - Vintage & Classic Bike Rally, Pune 2002-norton03.jpg

PICS - Vintage & Classic Bike Rally, Pune 2002-sunbeam01.jpg

PICS - Vintage & Classic Bike Rally, Pune 2002-triumph01.jpg

PICS - Vintage & Classic Bike Rally, Pune 2002-triumph02.jpg

PICS - Vintage & Classic Bike Rally, Pune 2002-triumph03.jpg

PICS - Vintage & Classic Bike Rally, Pune 2002-triumph04.jpg

PICS - Vintage & Classic Bike Rally, Pune 2002-triumph05.jpg

PICS - Vintage & Classic Bike Rally, Pune 2002-velocette01.jpg

PICS - Vintage & Classic Bike Rally, Pune 2002-velocette02.jpg

PICS - Vintage & Classic Bike Rally, Pune 2002-velocette03.jpg

PICS - Vintage & Classic Bike Rally, Pune 2002-velocette04.jpg

PICS - Vintage & Classic Bike Rally, Pune 2002-velocette05.jpg
karlosdeville is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2013, 17:18   #2
BHPian
 
pradipk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 216
Thanked: 21 Times
Default re: PICS - Vintage & Classic Bike Rally, Pune 2002

Hey thanks for sharing pics. By the way can you identify the bike in full red/maroon color with the single seat? That has nice thick front wheel and interesting engine.

Thanks.
pradipk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2013, 17:27   #3
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: N Delhi/Pune/Kolkata/Schwarzenfeld
Posts: 884
Thanked: 276 Times
Default re: PICS - Vintage & Classic Bike Rally, Pune 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradipk View Post
Hey thanks for sharing pics. By the way can you identify the bike in full red/maroon color with the single seat? That has nice thick front wheel and interesting engine.
That's a Sunbeam. Either a S7 or S7 Deluxe. (Interesting nomenclature, very Samsung!!).
Prabal is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2013, 00:07   #4
Senior - BHPian
 
deutscheafrikar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Mumbai & Candolim
Posts: 1,155
Thanked: 316 Times
Default Re: PICS - Vintage & Classic Bike Rally, Pune 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post
That's a Sunbeam. Either a S7 or S7 Deluxe. (Interesting nomenclature, very Samsung!!).
I'm thinking maybe S7 Deluxe cos of the deeper sump and the dynamo size.
Nope Karl didn't come for this rally. Nice pics you have posted. Just love the Beam... 'tis on my wish list.

Last edited by deutscheafrikar : 2nd May 2013 at 00:09.
deutscheafrikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2013, 16:56   #5
BHPian
 
crazyfordriving's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: KA 03/ AN 01
Posts: 40
Thanked: 20 Times
Default Re: PICS - Vintage & Classic Bike Rally, Pune 2002

Wow, those are some amazing pictures. Which is the BMW bike in the first and second pic (the one in which clutch lever is fitted to the end of the handlebar)?
crazyfordriving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2013, 23:27   #6
BHPian
 
Voyager's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 78
Thanked: 56 Times
Default Re: PICS - Vintage & Classic Bike Rally, Pune 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Pune had witnessed a fantastic rally organised in 2002 (I think), at the Police grounds. This event was exclusively for vintage and classic bikes, with a good measure of scooters joining in. I don't recall who had organized it, though it was a great success, with a large participation and even out-of-towners. This was 10 years ago, before I was even of riding age , so I was a spectator.

In those days of film cameras, number of images were restricted, so this is all I have. Nigel, Joji and others - did you attend? Any pictures to share?
Nice pics Karl , I had traveled all the way from Bangalore for this event there were a lot of bikes from Hyderabad as well and i think pradan from Hyd was one of the judges .I remember Navroze contractor was there as well as some of the Roadshakers (the bullet club) guys clicking pics . i am sure there should be lots of pics .let me try and get them .

Prashanth
Voyager is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2013, 20:38   #7
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Pune, Dubai
Posts: 49
Thanked: 88 Times
Default Re: PICS - Vintage & Classic Bike Rally, Pune 2002

Hello Karlosdeville,

I thank the powers upthere for people like you! Your pictures bring back some great memories.

Yes! I was there. It was at the police grounds opposite Rahul. We had dropped in with a Triumph Tiger 100 and Yamaha RZ125.

My 3T was still in bits then.

I remember the S7, the M20, M21, the Goldies, Sam, Reuben & Morris's Velocettes etc.

The red BMW, isn't it Christopher's bike?

My memory is not what it use to be....

Take care and stay well.

Regards,

Joji Kurian
Britishbangers is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2013, 16:12   #8
Senior - BHPian
 
deutscheafrikar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Mumbai & Candolim
Posts: 1,155
Thanked: 316 Times
Default Re: PICS - Vintage & Classic Bike Rally, Pune 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfordriving View Post
Wow, those are some amazing pictures. Which is the BMW bike in the first and second pic (the one in which clutch lever is fitted to the end of the handlebar)?
Mid 30's 200cc R2 but don't know which series 2 3 or 4
deutscheafrikar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2013, 16:28   #9
Team-BHP Support
 
karlosdeville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 9,628
Thanked: 8,107 Times
Default Re: PICS - Vintage & Classic Bike Rally, Pune 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britishbangers View Post
Yes! I was there. It was at the police grounds opposite Rahul. We had dropped in with a Triumph Tiger 100 and Yamaha RZ125.
I thought you might have been there... I have only pics of one Tiger, the MRX registered white and black bike (now shell blue and black), belonging to a Parsi from Bombay. Which is your Tiger? Pics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britishbangers View Post
The red BMW, isn't it Christopher's bike?
I think that is the same bike with Christopher.

OT - do you remember another early BMW bike, red and black, with registration number coincidentally BMW 728? I remember it attending some rally in Pune around that time...
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2013, 03:00   #10
Newbie
 
Jetblack46's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Pune
Posts: 24
Thanked: 7 Times
Default Re: PICS - Vintage & Classic Bike Rally, Pune 2002

The blue norton in one of the pics belonged to my father at the time of the pic being taken and was ridden to the show by my uncle. It is a 1964-66 model 88ss 500cc twin. It was one of the most beautiful sounding machines I have ever heard.
Jetblack46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2013, 10:53   #11
Team-BHP Support
 
karlosdeville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 9,628
Thanked: 8,107 Times
Default Re: PICS - Vintage & Classic Bike Rally, Pune 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetblack46 View Post
The blue norton in one of the pics belonged to my father at the time of the pic being taken and was ridden to the show by my uncle. It is a 1964-66 model 88ss 500cc twin. It was one of the most beautiful sounding machines I have ever heard.
Thats interesting - I assume the bike is MRI 4710, which at one point was with Temtan Bhagwagar, I think he used to race it back in the day.
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2013, 13:08   #12
Newbie
 
Jetblack46's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Pune
Posts: 24
Thanked: 7 Times
Default Re: PICS - Vintage & Classic Bike Rally, Pune 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Thats interesting - I assume the bike is MRI 4710, which at one point was with Temtan Bhagwagar, I think he used to race it back in the day.
My dad would probably probably know about the history. I know that we bought it from a German guy called prastan who lived in Poona at the time and was a good friend of my fathers. We sold it to someone called mushtaq but I think he was some kind of agent and must have sold it on soon after. A few years later he also bought an ES2 from us.
Jetblack46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pics: The Statesman Vintage & Classic Car Rally, Delhi (March 2015) ariesonu Vintage Cars & Classics in India 8 31st March 2015 19:24
Report: Vintage Car & Bike Rally @ Pune (April 2014) karlosdeville Vintage Cars & Classics in India 12 22nd April 2014 15:43
PICS : The 2013 Mangalore Vintage Car & Bike Rally slicvic Vintage Cars & Classics in India 3 28th January 2013 19:49
Pics: Haig Vintage and Classic Car and Bike Rally, Mumbai 24th Feb 08 karlosdeville Vintage Cars & Classics in India 112 16th March 2009 16:16
The 11th Vintage & Classic Car Rally, Jaipur On 7th & 8th Feb, 2009 LOVE HER(ALD)! Vintage Cars & Classics in India 6 12th February 2009 13:36


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 19:42.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks