Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Old 20th February 2014, 11:52   #31
BHPian

Default Re: VIntage Car Rally Delhi -Gurgaon, EDIT:"PICS: 21 Gun Salute Vintage Rally Show Fe

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINTAIL View Post
In the background of the MG-TC, a beige/cream Mercedes Benz Ponton is seen. Any information on that? Any pics of it?

Regards.

Fintail,

It seems to be a 180B or 190B. If you see the photo of the Bikaner chopped top Buick, you can see the rear of the Ponton and it has the later style tail lamps and the fatter bumpers which came on the "B" series.

Definitely not a 220a - The 220a had two parallel chrome strips, one at the lower edge of the door and another continuous strip running the length of both doors and a short piece at the front fender.
mbz180 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2014, 15:36   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: PICS: 21 Gun Salute Vintage Car Rally, Feb 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star man View Post
I am curious now, What on earth is this vehicle with the VW badge ...
Its a German Tempo with a VW engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogji View Post
I am informed ..... arrangements were excellent. Five star accommodation, car and driver, fuel for the entered car, air tickets, etc etc. hats off to Mr Madan Mohan Gupta for treating all owners in a befitting manner, other show organisers should Learn from this . ....I hope this becomes a regular feature , he needs to be encouraged and complemented for this first attempt at a show of this magnitude.
Since I could not go being in France, my friend went there with the Lancia. Hospitality was excellent, 5 star hotel, 35 litres of fuel per car, airport pick-up with an Innova and driver who were at their disposal at all times, transport for the car paid for. Real royal treatment. We had a slight hiccup with transport of the car to the car-carrier as the local party did not honour his commitment. Air tickets were borne by us.
I will most certainly send a car again in future if invited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Its said to be a VW Tempo. Some sort of army vehicle. They say it has two engines one in front n one in the rear
Originally this car had one engine with two cylinders in the front and two cylinders at the rear, coupled with a crankshaft running between the seats. This made it 4wd. But this car lost its engine and a VW unit was put in. With this model Tempo competed for the German military vehicle contract along with BMW and VW Kuebelwagen. VW won the contest. Its such a similar story as with the the Jeep, Bantam, Willys and Ford.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star man View Post
That sounds right. Tempo were a successful car business after WW2 selling little light weight trucks powered by VW engines until the company was absorbed. The Germans built all sorts of vehicles in WW2 and this sort of fits the mold.
Sure Tempo was successful postwar, their Hanseat 3 wheeler tempo was even made in India followed by the Tempo to Matador, they got into Hanomag and are now a part of Mercedes-Benz. Post war they used a petrol two stoke engine, I have not heard of them using VW engines.

Cheers harit
harit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2014, 16:29   #33
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: PICS: 21 Gun Salute Vintage Car Rally, Feb 2014

Looks like this event is getting bigger and better every year - that's great. Lots of new cars for me. I'm glad to see the maroon 47 Chrysler restored - it was a very original, complete and unrestored New Yorker that I saw for a few years in Pune. It was obviously standing for many years, and the whole front of the bonnet with the trim on it had corroded and fallen off, was placed in the back seat. I also recognise the Dominator MAV registered. I was close to buying it some years back - ran well though needed cosmetic attention. The price at the time? 1.5 lakhs, which I found too steep. Oh well...
karlosdeville is online now   Reply With Quote