Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Old 1st July 2014, 01:46   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Pics: My Grandfather's 1957 Driving Licence!

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@GN thanks for sharing that !
The Austin looks a class apart !
Glad you liked it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
...The instruction for the driver while taking turns - like sticking the hand out and rotating anti clockwise etc.... Did any actually follow them?
They supposedly did! Even my dad did, upto late 1970's when he had some car called Standard Herald!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkingGuru View Post
OMG 3 cars in 1957! What were you guys, Royal?
Nope, these are from 1954 - 67. And no, one needn't have been a royal.

In the '50s, there was scarce development except for big cities like Delhi, Mumbai & Calcutta. Those places probably had cars by the thousands, however not many car owners would stay at small cantonment hill stations like (then) Bangalore.
Quote:
Nice to know people still preserved such family antiquities. Priceless. And great fact that, about the Driving License being a document to prove you actually knew driving, and not just a 'license to drive' like it is nowdays!

Btw, awesome Austin!
Yes, definitely! That tap on my head has changed the way I thought of my License. Full-on respect now! Anyway, glad you liked it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaurabhSaran View Post
1957 Driving License after 57 Years!

Purpose of Page 9 was also good...
Haha! Nice find. Well, Page 9 I too thought was for some fine/penalty, but turns out was an endorsement to Renew the License! Guess he must've been a responsible driver.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamseller View Post
That's a lovely piece of history there! Made me feel happy to see the Austin. My grandfather had a similar car, though I only got to see it in pictures.
... I reckon he was habituated of driving the old buses with different levers earlier. (So many old memories refreshed! )
Thanks, Glad you liked it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
What a delightful piece of history !

The snap of the FIAT appears to have been taken after a small accident ? The right headlight seems to be in spot of bother and a dent is visible on the steel bumper...
Must be. That one seemed to have a reputation for failures that caused accidents.
Quote:
...And it was great fun to have a dekko at the '57 licence in detail and imagine what must have been happening at that time as well at the time of the notings & renewal endorsements...Great cars and great snaps - thank you for sharing them !
Yes! This definitely changed my perception of the Driving License. Glad you liked it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Servegaar View Post
One of the pics says the license is valid only for three years. It means a renewal every three years. Owning a license might have been tedious those days i guess.
Haha Maybe. Current ones have 20year validity. Definitely more convenient.

But, maybe thats a more relevant timeline for a re-test. 3 years changes people alot - eyesight, limbs, general health etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Wonderful trip down memory lane. I had no idea Andhra Pradesh was even in existence in 1957!
lol same here, even I realised after my dad said he was born in some village called Patencheru 100kms from Hyderabad. Else I thought the whole South was just Mysore!

Anyway, glad you liked it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINTAIL View Post
What happened to the Select? She seems to be Madhya Pradesh registered. Indore/Bhopal perhaps.
Supposedly sold around '65 since it was becoming a Very problematic car. Prone to failure mainly for its age.
Quote:
One need not have been royalty to have multiple cars in the 'Fifties.
True. Grand-dad was the son of a peasant and worked through his college to support education by selling ghee.

All he had was a Civil Engineering Diploma from a college in Baroda & a little bit of talent. He became what they called then as a "Class A contractor" and was into building Bridges and Airport Hangars & Runways. His was just amongst the first companies in India to master the use of precast concrete for bridges.
Quote:
The pics are definitely NOT from 1957. The Fiat pictured is a 103D "Select"..Production actually began in very,very late 1957, for the 1958 model year...
Austin was the first, then was the Fiat ~60 and then the Amby in ~ '64. There used to be a waiting period back then.

The Austin was with them till '67 and supposedly worked like a charm throughout. Fiat, not so - I've no clue why, maybe FIATs' don't like us, my Linea too constantly has some issue or the other lol!

Quote:
Seeing the old Select pics, I recall that my grandfather used to have a MHP registered SuperSelect, in Poona (obviously!). Now he has a turquoise 1100D.

We used to also have a Willys CJ3B, MHN/2191.Nagpur registered, as is evident. Imagine, back in the day, she used to go right upto J&K, right upto Madras and Bombay.

There were many more. A "BYF" something was also there. Long gone. Sigh! ::Sniff::

My grandfather still has his 1963 issued DL.
Good to know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
That is some find! Good to know you've preserved it all these years!
Yep! dad definitely kept his stuff well! I can barely remember where my last years income tax text books are kept!
Quote:
But the address in the licence sounds confusing- Himayathnagar and then Risala Bazar, Bollarum (which is in Secunderabad! and quite far from Himayathnagar)
Wow, you made out the places & locations. Godknows why it was written like that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
Please thank your Dad for sharing this with us
Will duly convey your regards.
Quote:
Before '57 I believe a license had to be renewed each year.
Ouch! Sad rules.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumar R View Post
Haha so true..stark contrast to today's scene with the legions of assassins the RTO/PVD unleashes onto the streets with barely a pretence of testing driving and road skills.

At the time I got my shiny plastic 'smartcard' licence, my parents and grandad (all hardcore drivers) were appalled that neither my driving school 'curriculum' nor my PVD driving test included any evaluation of knowledge of road rules (both legal and otherwise), driving etiquette, courtesies and customs. I could go on and on about today's Driving License test but that's
lol I got mine at 19 (spared just 500) and my dad was disgusted! He'd failed many times in his driving tests upto his late 20's.
GrammarNazi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2014, 07:04   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
The instruction for the driver while taking turns - like sticking the hand out and rotating anti clockwise etc.... Did any actually follow them?
These signals were used till about 20 years ago .. I personally find this method much better than using indicators since there's different signals for different manouvers ... In contrast, using indicators has only 3 clear signals- left, right, hazard. Often, the way these 3 are used leads to a lot of confusion. But that's being discussed separately in another thread.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2014, 08:25   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
These signals were used till about 20 years ago .. I personally find this method much better than using indicators since there's different signals for different manouvers ... In contrast, using indicators has only 3 clear signals- left, right, hazard. Often, the way these 3 are used leads to a lot of confusion. But that's being discussed separately in another thread.
This took me down memory lane. Though I am in my early 30's and started driving first in 2001, my first vehicle was dad's 1978 Bajaj Chetak. It was heavy and had no functioning signals or instruments (Had a big gaping hole where speedometer was supposed to be). So I used to resort to hand signals all the time. One particularly amusing signal was to turn left, you have to stick out the right hand and rotate wrist counter clockwise with index finger pointed out !!
charanreddy is offline   Reply With Quote