Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Old 11th August 2014, 15:37   #16
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Default re: Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club Rally - Bangalore, August 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Congratulations on what must have been a fun event. The Plymouth looks superb as always, and I couldn't take my eyes off the 59 Chevy.

Having recently bought a similar car, this Hindustan 14 caught my eye. ...... My compliments to the owner.

What also caught my eye (naturally) was the very original 57 Fiat....

No pictures of the bikes?
The Plymouth did get good coverage.

The 59 Chevy is coming for the first time and is owned by our President, Mr. Jamal.

Mr. Mekri who owns the H14 is a very humble and polite man. I am sure he will be happy to note the appreciation he has got for his car.

The 57 Fiat is owned by Reverend Prakash Steven who is an FCB member and the car has come for a few of their meets. I have also posted pictures of this car in the past.

Few bikes and I will post the pictures this evening

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Thanks KPS for the great coverage.
I just missed it by the proverbial wiskers....
Its pity that one of the other major collector could not be pursuaded to join even this year.
KPS, the Plymouth is looking really "drool worthy" even in pictures
Best Regards & Drive Safe
Ram
Sorry you missed the event. The numbers of cars was capped by the sponsor, hence we had to limit the entries. Having said that, we really miss the participation of the Khodays Group.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sathish uk View Post

Great looking beauties.
I have a Buick Riviera 1964 465 wildcat, which is getting rebuilt. I would like to know how can I participate in a car rally like this. Please let me know the formalities.
We we would be more than happy to bring you on board. Please drop me a mail on subbaiahkp at yahoo dot co dot in

Here is a lovely picture which came in todays Deccan Chronicle

Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club Rally - Bangalore, August 2014-blr_20140811_maip2_11.jpg

We reverted to the British India number, which was originally on this car for the front. MC/P stands for Madras Central Province
Source

Cheers

KPS

Last edited by KPS : 11th August 2014 at 15:41. Reason: added a line
KPS is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2014, 15:50   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
The 57 Fiat is owned by Reverend Prakash Steven who is an FCB member and the car has come for a few of their meets. I have also posted pictures of this car in the past.
I remember this car having belonged to a Reverand - does he also own the Elegant? What a superb pair.

Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club Rally - Bangalore, August 2014-08.jpg
karlosdeville is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2014, 16:36   #18

Quote:
We reverted to the British India number, which was originally on this car for the front. MC/P stands for Madras Central Province
Source

Cheers

KPS
KPS,

Thanks for your prompt response. Will update you as soon as I am able to hit the road with the Buick.

sathish.
Sathish uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2014, 22:00   #19

Quote:
Our new member Mr. Mekri brought their 1950 Hindustan 14 which the family has owned since new. His young sons were also very enthusiastic and appreciative of the event
Thank you very much for introducing us to the world and for the kind words, sir! Looking forward to being a part of many more rallies in the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post

Having recently bought a similar car, this Hindustan 14 caught my eye. Very nicely presented, note the integrated head and parking lamps for early cars - something we learnt just the other day on the Hindustan 14 thread. Note the yellow coachlining as well - an original offering. A pair of period number plates would do the car well. My compliments to the owner.
Thank you so much, karl! Was quite a painstaking process to restore the car to it's original state, delighted to see that my father's efforts have borne fruit And thanks for the suggestion about the number plates, will inform my father about it! There are quite a few loose ends that we have to look into, hope we can improve on the car even further Looking forward to sharing information with you about this car in the future!

Last edited by GTO : 15th August 2014 at 15:14. Reason: Please use the EDIT button instead of creating successive posts. Also fixing quotes
junaidmehkri is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2014, 23:19   #20
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club Rallies Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by junaidmehkri View Post
Thank you very much for introducing us to the world and for the kind words, sir! Looking forward to being a part of many more rallies in the future
Junaid,

Welcome to the wonderful world of TBHP. You really have kept the car in good nick

Your family name - does it have any connection to the famous landmark/point in Bangalore - just curious

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2014, 07:37   #21
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club Rally - Bangalore, August 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by junaidmehkri View Post
Welcome on board Junaid. You will enjoy this Forum tremendously. Please show your father this (The Hindustan 14 Thread)Thread on H14

Quote:
Junaid,
Welcome to the wonderful world of TBHP. You really have kept the car in good nick
Your family name - does it have any connection to the famous landmark/point in Bangalore - just curious
Ram
Yes Ram there is a connection to the then famous Mekri Circle now a major junction with underpass.

As requested by Karl and Ram here are the bike pictures

The famous 1957 Gold Star
Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club Rally - Bangalore, August 2014-dscn2572.jpg

This 1962 Norton is a very regular runner and the owner has even done a LEH trip on this bike
Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club Rally - Bangalore, August 2014-dscn2569.jpg

This Jawa is beautifully restored. Bangalore boasts of one the best collections of Jawa and owners are very committed to the restoration to the highest standards
Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club Rally - Bangalore, August 2014-dscn2570.jpg

Ariel
Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club Rally - Bangalore, August 2014-dscn2573.jpg

Matchless
Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club Rally - Bangalore, August 2014-dscn2574.jpg

Doc's BMW
Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club Rally - Bangalore, August 2014-dscn2575.jpg

This is a very nice 1959 Royal Enfield.
Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club Rally - Bangalore, August 2014-dscn2571.jpg

Cheers

KPS
KPS is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2014, 11:22   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sathish uk View Post
I have a Buick Riviera 1964 465 wildcat, which is getting rebuilt. I would like to know how can I participate in a car rally like this. Please let me know the formalities.
Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club Rally - Bangalore, August 2014-buick-riviera.jpg

Is it this car? Its been seen before. Lovely car, please post some photos of the on going restoration. BTW, Wildcat is a different model, its just Riviera.
Why don't you join KVCC in Bangalore, it's better to be a participant of events as a member of a club.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordDodo View Post
Continued with more pics..
One of the pics is this Lotus Elite, probably the only one in India. Nicely done, I believe that the owner has another Lotus, he is a collector of Lotii (that Lotus in plural, its not Lotuses). Few Lotus cars came to India, quite a number of them met with grief and are non runners.

Name:  Lotus Elite.jpg
Views: 4264
Size:  91.2 KB

Tweety told me that Lotus is likely to enter the Indian market very soon, then "reasonably" priced sports cars with pedigree will be available to enthusiasts in India. They should reveal details soon with all info.

Cheers harit

Last edited by harit : 12th August 2014 at 11:26.
harit is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2014, 11:36   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Attachment 1273220

I

One of the pics is this Lotus Elite, probably the only one in India. Nicely done, I believe that the owner has another Lotus, he is a collector of Lotii (that Lotus in plural, its not Lotuses). Few Lotus cars came to India, quite a number of them met with grief and are non runners.

Attachment 1273221
I don't think he has any other Lotus's but he has a lot of other interesting cars
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2014, 12:12   #24
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
I don't think he has any other Lotus's but he has a lot of other interesting cars
He has another Lotus also being restored at the same place. I am given to understand that this is the Ex-Jackie Sheroff car(open for correction)

Actually both the cars came as one deal.
KPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2014, 12:19   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
He has another Lotus also being restored at the same place. I am given to understand that this is the Ex-Jackie Sheroff car(open for correction)

Actually both the cars came as one deal.
This must be an Esprit Turbo then. Used to see it abandoned at a dealers on Linking ROad
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2014, 20:09   #26

Default Re: Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club Rallies Thread

Quote:
Junaid,

Ram
Thank you so much, sir! Yes as a matter of fact, Mehkri Circle is named after my great-grandfather

Quote:
Welcome on board Junaid. You will enjoy this Forum tremendously. Please show your father this (The Hindustan 14 Thread)Thread on H14

KPS
Thanks for the redirect, just showed it to him! Hope to be able to restore the car even further through the suggestions that thread
junaidmehkri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2014, 22:56   #27
BHPian

Just to know, how good is the Khodays collection? How many cars do they own?
FordDodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2014, 09:13   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Some of them are here (Bangalore Club Vintage Rally)
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2014, 13:21   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Have had the previalge of seeing a small prtion of their collection, at one location, which had over 30 cars, mostly pre 1975 Modern Classics but also few from the 40s and 50s. My guesstimate including other locations would be nearly/over 100.

What stands out in the collection I have seen - is the level of preservation the cars were in. All of them were in a state as if the owner has just come in to park after a daily run.

I really admire them for the spirit of collection, I only hope they would show them to the current generation as well instead of keeping it for posterity

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2014, 13:42   #30

Wink Re: Karnataka Vintage & Classic Car Club Rally - Bangalore, August 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Attachment 1273220

Is it this car? Its been seen before. Lovely car, please post some photos of the on going restoration. BTW, Wildcat is a different model, its just Riviera.
Why don't you join KVCC in Bangalore, it's better to be a participant of events as a member of a club.

Attachment 1273221

Tweety told me that Lotus is likely to enter the Indian market very soon, then "reasonably" priced sports cars with pedigree will be available to enthusiasts in India. They should reveal details soon with all info.

Cheers harit

hi harit,

thanks for the interest shown, i would like to share the following info on riveria being a465 wild cat.

The 425 cu in (7.0 L) 425 was the largest-displacement version of the Nailhead. It began as an option in 1963 for the Riviera and was later available on the Wildcat and Electra models. The 1964 and 1966 Riviera used the 425 engine as standard equipment.

Four-barrel carburetion was standard on all 425 Nailheads, called "Wildcat 465" (see note above, on 401). For the 1965 Riviera Gran Sport and the 1966 Wildcat GS, the "Super Wildcat" regular production option ("RPO") Y48 included two four-barrel (4BBL) carburetors and the intake manifold, which were delivered in the car's trunk, to be installed by the dealer. Toward the end of the 1966 model year, in approximately May 1966, Buick offered the Super Wildcat 465 with dual 4BBL Carter AFB carburetors as a factory-installed option. This engine is coded "MZ", while the dealer-installed dual four-barrel setup was coded "MW". Only 179 1966 Riviera GS cars were built with the MZ factory dual 4BBL setup, making it a very rare car.
Sathish uk is offline   Reply With Quote