Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2008, 23:04   #1546
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Stanher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hyderabad, AP
Posts: 6,294
Thanked: 1,480 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
Wow Anjan, lovely picture. Wish we had more such "period costumes" at recent vintage rallies.
Some rallies do have such period costumes. Like the owner of this Dodge (that isnt ihm in the pic. but an "attendant" of his!) at the 3rd feb. HAIG rally here was dressed in a pre-war style costume, they even had a "period" picnic!

Aside, the way I dress could and often is passed off easily as a period 70s costume in a local rally/show!
Attached Thumbnails
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-img_0332.jpg  

Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2008, 00:07   #1547
Senior - BHPian
 
SuperSelect's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Mumbai.
Posts: 1,806
Thanked: 219 Times
Default

Hey do post a picture of yours next to your herald - you'll look straight out of 'Om Shanti Om ' !!
SuperSelect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2008, 14:22   #1548
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Stanher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hyderabad, AP
Posts: 6,294
Thanked: 1,480 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
Hey do post a picture of yours next to your herald - you'll look straight out of 'Om Shanti Om ' !!
You'll have to wait til the 26th jan rally then- hope its ready by then!

Btw, whats this about Om shanti om?? Is there a herald in it?? I would think guru (with madhavan driving a herlad?) would be more appropriate!
Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2008, 18:10   #1549
BHPian
 
Dussey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 249
Thanked: 164 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by noonrock View Post
You folks amaze me with your ability to track down and identify American automobiles. Your conclusion of the Mercury is quite on target. Of equal interest is the pictures of the Dodge. I remember them well, worked in a gasoline service station during the early '50s and saw many of them.
Thanks noonrock, that ability certainly highlights our passion for these Classic beauties ! Classic cars are a piece of art and have a character of their own and if your are hooked on to them they are almost addictive !
Dussey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2008, 14:54   #1550
BHPian
 
vcash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 453
Thanked: 14 Times
Default

Found this Ponton lying at the side of the road in Jamshedpur. The car is abandoned - No registration / Number plate / owner information. The car was being restored at a repair shop that closed up at this location. The car does not look to be salvagable.
Attached Thumbnails
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-img_0800.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-img_0798.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-img_0799.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-img_0801.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-img_0802.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-img_0803.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-img_0804.jpg  


Last edited by vcash : 22nd August 2008 at 14:55.
vcash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2008, 14:55   #1551
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: London
Posts: 5,012
Thanked: 147 Times
Default

That is VERY Restorable!! Where is AMOL??? He would love this!!
Cyrus43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2008, 15:01   #1552
BHPian
 
vcash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 453
Thanked: 14 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
That is VERY Restorable!! Where is AMOL??? He would love this!!
My mechanic tells me that the car has been lying outside subjected to 5 years of monsoons - Every body panel will have to be changed. There is one more abandoned Ponton in Jamshedpur which may be in better condition. We are trying to hunt this down.
vcash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2008, 16:10   #1553
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: London
Posts: 5,012
Thanked: 147 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcash View Post
My mechanic tells me that the car has been lying outside subjected to 5 years of monsoons - Every body panel will have to be changed. There is one more abandoned Ponton in Jamshedpur which may be in better condition. We are trying to hunt this down.
I dont think it is That bad. It is very very restorable using its current body pannels. More importantly, Does it have an engine?
Cyrus43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2008, 20:09   #1554
BHPian
 
Dussey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 249
Thanked: 164 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcash View Post
Found this Ponton lying at the side of the road in Jamshedpur. The car is abandoned - No registration / Number plate / owner information. The car was being restored at a repair shop that closed up at this location. The car does not look to be salvagable.
Very much salvagable.By and large intact. Still lot of work to bring it into ship shape! Any idea about whats inside the bonnet? The original engine/Gearbox etc? Any idea what it would cost " as is where is"?
Thanks.
Dussey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2008, 22:13   #1555
BHPian
 
vcash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 453
Thanked: 14 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
I dont think it is That bad. It is very very restorable using its current body pannels. More importantly, Does it have an engine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dussey View Post
Very much salvagable.By and large intact. Still lot of work to bring it into ship shape! Any idea about whats inside the bonnet? The original engine/Gearbox etc? Any idea what it would cost " as is where is"?
Thanks.
I'll take a peek into the hood tomorrow. As for cost - The car is abandoned, no one knows who the owner is / mechanic restoring it went. So how does one put a value?

I am thinking finders keepers.....
vcash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2008, 22:24   #1556
Senior - BHPian
 
the mole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 2,151
Thanked: 699 Times
Default

its a pre 57 180D note the diesel starter below the steering, the grill seems to be in amazing condition. If the car is going to be scrapped please get me the grill. I would say if the engine is there one would have to spend about 5 lacks to get the car back on the road in condition with all original parts. Its a very rare ponton guys.i can help anyone who picks this up to restore the car as i have a sister car,but get ready to spend. The tailights itself will set you back by 400$ they are very very rare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcash View Post
I'll take a peek into the hood tomorrow. As for cost - The car is abandoned, no one knows who the owner is / mechanic restoring it went. So how does one put a value?

I am thinking finders keepers.....
then can you pull out the grill for me. also the licence plate lights, I am serious.

Last edited by GTO : 23rd August 2008 at 11:11. Reason: Please use the EDIT button instead of typing consecutive post after another.
the mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2008, 22:50   #1557
BHPian
 
vcash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 453
Thanked: 14 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
then can you pull out the grill for me. also the licence plate lights, I am serious.
Wait.. you want me to just go and take the grill and licence plate lights out?? I think this is what they call felony?

All Kidding aside, I'll try and see if my mechanic can do some 'juggad' and get the grill as legally possible or atleast try and hunt down the owner of the car.

Also, I beleive that you are the resident expert (Along with V-16) on post war mercs. Could you help me with my W110 - I need to source 185/80/R13 or 7,00 X 13 tyres for my car and I have gone nuts trying to find these but to no avail.
vcash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2008, 11:06   #1558
BHPian
 
President's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: FIATFUL Mumbai
Posts: 903
Thanked: 170 Times
Default Fiat Select

FIAT SELECT awaiting burial. What a pity!
Attached Images
  
President is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2008, 11:13   #1559
BHPian
 
President's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: FIATFUL Mumbai
Posts: 903
Thanked: 170 Times
Default

@MODS: This one is rusting / resting in pieces.
I do not know if it should be on this thread or in Guess the car thread?
Request you to do the needful.
Attached Images
 
President is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2008, 11:19   #1560
Team-BHP Support
 
karlosdeville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 9,533
Thanked: 7,562 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by President View Post
@MODS: This one is rusting / resting in pieces.
I do not know if it should be on this thread or in Guess the car thread?
Request you to do the needful.
Its in the right thread, dont worry!

Thats an Opel, full length sunroof belonging to my mechanic. His brothers car, he showed me pics of the car when running too.
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fuel-tank Rust Removal (by Electrolysis) & Rust Proofing H3LIOS Motorbikes 30 19th May 2014 14:26
Jeep Rusting and disintegrating: drmessiah 4x4 Vehicles 21 22nd June 2011 21:15
Rust Control for Classic cars?? wilkie366 Vintage Cars & Classics in India 13 31st December 2010 15:31
A tribute to a Vintage Man : similar to a vintage car or vintage wine StarVegabond Shifting gears 3 12th October 2009 14:49


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 18:18.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks