Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Old 1st September 2009, 22:57   #2326
Team-BHP Support

Any contact info for the jeep owner? and any idea how much they are expecting?
Jaggu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2009, 08:39   #2327
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
Well i think it was some other high bonnet jeep modified and made into a low bonnet one.I have heard of many of these things done to jeeps down south.
Tell me about it! You can find such converted LBs made every single day in a scrapyard at this place called Bahadurpura, which is in old Hyderabad. And once done, they'd sure sell at the price of a genuine LB!

I guess the only way to verify if a genuine LB is by checking the RC, that too if the original old type.
Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2009, 08:57   #2328
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Tell me about it! You can find such converted LBs made every single day in a scrapyard at this place called Bahadurpura, which is in old Hyderabad. And once done, they'd sure sell at the price of a genuine LB!

I guess the only way to verify if a genuine LB is by checking the RC, that too if the original old type.
Why forget the original reason for having a taller bonnet ?

Hope I'm not stating the obvious, to you experts who already know why the low bonnet of the Willys CJ-3A was made taller in the Willys CJ-3B.

It was to accommodate the taller F-head and overhead valve cover on the engine which was then renamed "Hurricane". The earlier L-head on the 134 cid "Go-Devil" engine sat comfortably in the prettier low-bonnet.

So look for a Jeep with an original L-head 2199 cc Go-Devil engine.

Ram
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2009, 09:17   #2329
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SowmyaHariharan View Post
I saw some RUST underneath if that is a criteria to have included the JEEP here

Jokes apart. On a serious note : If its not, I would request the Moderator to take it off. Not a problem.

I would not want to disregard the forum rules at any point of time
hey, you havent broken any rules somya, I just compared the condition of the jeep to some other less fortunate cars that been posted out here.Atleast the jeep is above ground and not half buried in it !!
brat001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2009, 13:48   #2330
Senior - BHPian

A rescent picture of the supercharged Graham deteriorating in Pakistan courtsey of Pak Wheels

The other picture is of a Ford Phaeton being restored by Mohsin Akram.

Also some pics of a Herald also from Pak wheels specially for Stanher, must be a proper Standard from UK. Was the Standard Herald produced in India ever sold in Pakistan ?
Attached Images

Last edited by wasif : 2nd September 2009 at 13:51.
wasif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2009, 15:19   #2331
BHPian

Default VW Jetta rusting into pieces in Goa

This car has been dumped. A couple of years it was on other side of the road. Now put on other side of the road next to compound sure to rust away.. the car is complete. this is in garden centre mapusa goa if anyone is interested!
Attached Images

DarshanS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2009, 16:16   #2332
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarshanS View Post
This car has been dumped. A couple of years it was on other side of the road. Now put on other side of the road next to compound sure to rust away.. the car is complete. this is in garden centre mapusa goa if anyone is interested!

Have a similar jetta lying in my workshop the owner got a lot of work done and now is not intereste din taking the car or making our payments.
IndrojitSircar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2009, 22:45   #2333
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Also some pics of a Herald also from Pak wheels specially for Stanher, must be a proper Standard from UK. Was the Standard Herald produced in India ever sold in Pakistan ?
So sad to find my beloved car with this fate even across the border!! :sob:
Any more details on this car's story?

Wasif, I suspect this car, however is a TRIUMPH Herald, and not a desi Standard one- can say by the thick chrome trims at the tips of the fins (Standard Heralds didn't have them, except for the 4-door, which were again aluminium ones)
Old 3rd September 2009, 05:13   #2334
BHPian

Default Herald car

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif
If I remember correctly, It is known as "Triumph Herald" in UK & rest of the world & "Standard Herald" in India. The Herald has a switchable Fuel take-off for "R"eserve and "M"ain tank. Does any one remember any other vehicle having this facility?

Last edited by aah78 : 4th September 2009 at 03:08. Reason: An after thought. EDIT: Quote fixed.
sudharma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2009, 13:02   #2335
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Have been seeing a Nissan Cedric rot inside a house for a while. A few weeks back, it was moved on to the road outside the house. I took a few snaps of that car yesterday. Will put them up tomorrow.
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-p8230006.jpg
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-p8230007.jpg
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-p8230008.jpg
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-p8230009.jpg
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2009, 13:52   #2336

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Any contact info for the jeep owner? and any idea how much they are expecting?
Not yet. I ll be going that side sometime next week. I ll find out then. This call thing is not happening

Quote:
Originally Posted by brat001 View Post
hey, you havent broken any rules somya, I just compared the condition of the jeep to some other less fortunate cars that been posted out here.Atleast the jeep is above ground and not half buried in it !!
Glad to know
SowmyaHariharan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2009, 14:14   #2337
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Also a couple of old mercs, a millicento & a toyota Cressida are parked right across the road from my house. Have taken pics of them too. Wait till tomorrow.
Here are they;

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-p8230010.jpgRust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-p8230015.jpg

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-p8230012.jpg

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-p8230013.jpg

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-p8230014.jpg

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-p8230017.jpg

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-p8230018.jpg

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-p8230019.jpg

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-p8230021.jpg

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-p8230022.jpg
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2009, 14:17   #2338
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudharma View Post
The Herald has a switchable Fuel take-off for "R"eserve and "M"ain tank. Does any one remember any other vehicle having this facility?
The Standard Pennant / super 10 also had it. A sort of tap or switch at the base of the rear seat on the drivers side. Was it available in all Standard vehicles?
ajitkommini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2009, 14:20   #2339
Distinguished - BHPian

@esteem lover,
Nissan Cedric's a real sad sight! The body doesnt look too corroded for the Madras climate. Have the wheels been taken off by the owners or stolen?? I reckon this car would end up at Puthupet sooner or later unless it is lucky!

Sad to see the other cars too left like this! The Fiat is actually a select with a superselect grille. But otherwise remarkably original! The Millecento badge was fitted on cars in other markets, as opposed to the FIAT 1100 badge that Indian 1100s had.

The 2nd merc. seems to be what was called as Pagoda- willing to be corrected on this. By the looks of it, I suspect it (and maybe all these cars are) is owned by someone who gives such cars out for film shoots only, and never bothers to use or restore them! Trooper had photo'd a similar fiat and a white & green Pennant (MDM 48) owned by a similar guy some time ago although they may not be on team bhp.
Sad!

Last edited by Stanher : 3rd September 2009 at 14:31.
Old 3rd September 2009, 14:27   #2340
BANNED

what model is that mercedes with all the numerical digits on it? the grill is not of the correct model it seems
and isnt the other one a Ponton?
fx45 is offline   Reply With Quote