Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2009, 03:01   #2461
BHPian
 
sgchaudhuri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Calcutta/Bengal
Posts: 80
Thanked: 45 Times
Default Classics Rusting in Calcutta!!!

Hi! These a are pictures of some amazing classics that are slowly rusting in my friends garage! I know how you must be feeling when you read this, but to everyones dismay, there is nothing that can be done as far as there cars are concerned! I have BEGGED my friend a 1000times to sell them to me, but apparently these cars have been in their family for generations and everyone has a lot of emotional attachment towards them, though no one does anything to maintain them (except the austin, which is in working condition!!!) and as far as I know them, no one will! Team BHP has a very appropriate 'expression' for a situation like this, it looks like and an even better one
Have a look and feel my pain!
Attached Thumbnails
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-02012009173.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-02012009174.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-02012009175.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-02012009179.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-02012009180.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-02012009184.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-02012009191-copy.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-02012009192.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-02012009195.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-02012009196.jpg  

sgchaudhuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2009, 10:10   #2462
Senior - BHPian
 
wasif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Abu Dhabi (for now)
Posts: 2,936
Thanked: 365 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgchaudhuri View Post
I came across a couple of really nice cars parked but uncared for in my friends garage! The family is NOT ready to let them go as they have strong emotional ties with them! I have tried convincing my friend who in turn has tried convincing her family, but so far my efforts have ended in vain! I hope someday I'll get my hands on these babies!
What is the black convertible in teh last picture . Looks to be under restoration in a garage. The radiator is very distinctive of a certain make.

Also what is the red car that is barely visible on the left.

Please do post some further pictures of the Ponton Merc.
wasif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2009, 10:23   #2463
Team-BHP Support
 
karlosdeville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 9,588
Thanked: 7,868 Times
Default

Thanks for sharing, if there are more, keep 'em comin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
What is the black convertible in teh last picture . Looks to be under restoration in a garage. The radiator is very distinctive of a certain make.
That is a Crossley, a car often seen in Calcutta events.
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2009, 12:52   #2464
Senior - BHPian
 
wasif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Abu Dhabi (for now)
Posts: 2,936
Thanked: 365 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Thanks for sharing, if there are more, keep 'em comin!



That is a Crossley, a car often seen in Calcutta events.
And the red one on its side ????
wasif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2009, 13:58   #2465
Senior - BHPian
 
IndrojitSircar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Kolkata/Delhi
Posts: 2,263
Thanked: 113 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgchaudhuri View Post
Hi! These a are pictures of some amazing classics that are slowly rusting in my friends garage! I know how you must be feeling when you read this, but to everyones dismay, there is nothing that can be done as far as there cars are concerned! I have BEGGED my friend a 1000times to sell them to me, but apparently these cars have been in their family for generations and everyone has a lot of emotional attachment towards them, though no one does anything to maintain them (except the austin, which is in working condition!!!) and as far as I know them, no one will! Team BHP has a very appropriate 'expression' for a situation like this, it looks like and an even better one
Have a look and feel my pain!

Well seems to be a small world.I had seen this car this year in june when i was down in calcutta and my father had requested them to seel the car if possible and not let it just be lying like that and rott away.But he said he cannot say anything about it because its a family car and has been there for years and would have to ask his uncles about the cars who never want to sell them.
IndrojitSircar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2009, 14:20   #2466
Senior - BHPian
 
predatorwheelz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Delhi/Kolkata
Posts: 1,652
Thanked: 1,099 Times
Default

Hi sgchaudhuri, welcome to Tbhp. Finding vintage enthusiasts from Kolkata is becoming hard(er) on this forum .

While on the subject of sympathy, check out these cars rusting away in various corners of the city.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...-scrapped.html (KOLKATA - Cars waiting to be Restored or Scrapped!)
predatorwheelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2009, 17:22   #2467
BHPian
 
sgchaudhuri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Calcutta/Bengal
Posts: 80
Thanked: 45 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
Hi sgchaudhuri, welcome to Tbhp. Finding vintage enthusiasts from Kolkata is becoming hard(er) on this forum .

While on the subject of sympathy, check out these cars rusting away in various corners of the city.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...-scrapped.html (KOLKATA - Cars waiting to be Restored or Scrapped!)
Hey Thanks for the warm welcome predatorwheelz! have seen the thread that you are talking about! I am a regular visitor to that thread! I'd like to meet you and like minded others in Calcutta! So could you please send me you number thru PM?
sgchaudhuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2009, 17:33   #2468
BHPian
 
sgchaudhuri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Calcutta/Bengal
Posts: 80
Thanked: 45 Times
Default Classic in Trivandum

This is a Car (Austin I think) I spotted in a Trivandum Scrap yard!!! The interiors are in pretty bad shape! The original steering has been replaced with that of a contessa, but the fellow still is qouting 1Lac for it! Didn't think it was worth it though my dad was willing to haul it till Calcutta if he quoted a good price!
Sorry guys for the ill framed pictures, the owner of the garage stopped me from taking anymore pictures! Have a look!
Attached Thumbnails
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-p9014872.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-p9014871.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-p9014870.jpg  


Last edited by sgchaudhuri : 11th November 2009 at 17:50. Reason: Pictures weren't showing!
sgchaudhuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2009, 17:45   #2469
BHPian
 
sgchaudhuri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Calcutta/Bengal
Posts: 80
Thanked: 45 Times
Default Here's a merc I spotted in Bangalore!

This Merc 190 I spotted was near a Korean restaurant near H.A.L ( Bangalore) seems to be in a pretty good condition! Didn't Find out who the owner was though! Let me know if any of you have any info!
Attached Thumbnails
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-p3230250.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-p3230251.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-p3230252.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-p3230253.jpg  

sgchaudhuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2009, 18:12   #2470
Senior - BHPian
 
predatorwheelz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Delhi/Kolkata
Posts: 1,652
Thanked: 1,099 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgchaudhuri View Post
This is a Car (Austin I think) I spotted in a Trivandum Scrap yard!!!
Hi dude. Have sent you a PM as asked for . The car in the picture is an Austin A60 Cambridge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgchaudhuri View Post
This Merc 190 I spotted was near a Korean restaurant near H.A.L ( Bangalore) seems to be in a pretty good condition! Didn't Find out who the owner was though! Let me know if any of you have any info!
These vehicles have been discussed in this very thread many moons ago. But still, keep up the good work. Looking forward to many more contributions from you.
predatorwheelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2009, 20:10   #2471
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Stanher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hyderabad, AP
Posts: 6,319
Thanked: 1,529 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgchaudhuri View Post
This Merc 190 I spotted was near a Korean restaurant near H.A.L ( Bangalore) seems to be in a pretty good condition! Didn't Find out who the owner was though! Let me know if any of you have any info!
As mentioend, someone from Bangalore had posted pics. of these 2 cars (the Merc. and the Standard Herald beside it- no pics. you took of the latter btw??) earlier. They are said to have belonged to some govt. organisation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
Hi dude. Have sent you a PM as asked for . The car in the picture is an Austin A60 Cambridge.
No babu moshai, its not!
This is a Morris Oxford series VI, you can make out by the front grille, although it sure can be easily confused with the Cambridge A60, as they both shared the same design. I remember ajay99 mentioning that the engine of this car had been changed or something, and that it went for scrap ultimately.
Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2009, 01:10   #2472
Senior - BHPian
 
amit V8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: kolkata
Posts: 1,066
Thanked: 188 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgchaudhuri View Post
Hi! These a are pictures of some amazing classics that are slowly rusting in my friends garage!
welcome to tbhp.
where are the cars lying??
amit V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2009, 01:51   #2473
Senior - BHPian
 
IndrojitSircar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Kolkata/Delhi
Posts: 2,263
Thanked: 113 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit V8 View Post
welcome to tbhp.
where are the cars lying??
These cars are not for sale though the owner is very well know to my father.These cars are in middleton street vardhan market side second or the third house on the left.You'll go in and see these cars parked on the left hand side.
IndrojitSircar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2009, 05:41   #2474
BHPian
 
sgchaudhuri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Calcutta/Bengal
Posts: 80
Thanked: 45 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
These cars are not for sale though the owner is very well know to my father.These cars are in middleton street vardhan market side second or the third house on the left.You'll go in and see these cars parked on the left hand side.
Yes Indrojit you are right! The cars belong to the Gooptu's!
sgchaudhuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2009, 11:03   #2475
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: DELHI
Posts: 297
Thanked: 136 Times
Default

...I can understand the owners Gooptu or whoever locked the Benz and the Herald but just wondering why did he lock the Concrete Mixer with it??
SA7VA5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fuel-tank Rust Removal (by Electrolysis) & Rust Proofing H3LIOS Motorbikes 30 19th May 2014 14:26
Jeep Rusting and disintegrating: drmessiah 4x4 Vehicles 21 22nd June 2011 21:15
Rust Control for Classic cars?? wilkie366 Vintage Cars & Classics in India 13 31st December 2010 15:31
A tribute to a Vintage Man : similar to a vintage car or vintage wine StarVegabond Shifting gears 3 12th October 2009 14:49


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 04:38.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks