Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2009, 00:13   #2491
Distinguished - BHPian
 
harit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,908
Thanked: 2,485 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anmol89 View Post
These cars are a part of a private collection of the owner Mr. Diljeet Titus of an esteemed law firm here in Delhi. He has now turned his collection into a museum of over 200 beautifully preserved cars, spread over 12,000 sq. ft.! This museum is still not accessible to public, but i had an opportunity to visit the museum through a friend. Here is the list of cars for my fellow enthusiasts to drool over!:
(all pics are available!)
1936 Auburn Supercharged sedan
1931 Auburn sedan
1935 Auburn Portal speed/replica
etc,etc.........................................
Sorry for asking, but April Fool in November?
This list and the numbers are grossly exaggggggggggerated!!!!!!!!!!!
What is Dudge? Buick Legal? Did you mean Regal? Yet that is also not there.
Please try to be more acurate when you post.

Cheers harit
harit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2009, 11:04   #2492
Senior - BHPian
 
SuperSelect's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Mumbai.
Posts: 1,805
Thanked: 205 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Sorry for asking, but April Fool in November?
This list and the numbers are grossly exaggggggggggerated!!!!!!!!!!!
What is Dudge? Buick Legal? Did you mean Regal? Yet that is also not there.
Please try to be more acurate when you post.
Cheers harit
He He.. Buick Legal probably refers to the owner's profession.
SuperSelect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2009, 12:00   #2493
Senior - BHPian
 
wasif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Abu Dhabi (for now)
Posts: 2,932
Thanked: 339 Times
Default

What about the Auburn "Portal" speed replica.

Is this a reference to teh internet portal ?
wasif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2009, 12:23   #2494
Senior - BHPian
 
predatorwheelz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Delhi/Kolkata
Posts: 1,650
Thanked: 1,088 Times
Default Ha, ha and more ha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
What about the Auburn "Portal" speed replica.

Is this a reference to teh internet portal ?
I think (in a very twisted way) he means "Boat tail"
predatorwheelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2009, 14:17   #2495
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 138
Thanked: 29 Times
Default

Probably will get my head bitten off for butting in, but gentleman, why has everyone gone for Anmol89 as though he has committed a major crime? The possibility exists that he has not seen the entire collection of Mr. Titus and has reproduced a list given to him( he mentions photos of all cars are available) so give him the opportunity to post the photos and then take him apart. As for typos, most of us would be guilty of those from time to time.
The only reason I write this is because many a novice in the vintage world, like myself, would hesitate to post whatever info they had in the face of such reactions, whether accurate or inaccurate ,and we would all miss out on potentially interesting posts in the bargain.Totally respect the cumulative knowledge and acumen of the worthy critics above but in the face of their scorn and ridicule, I for one would not risk posting stuff I am not 100 percent sure of, which could then be corrected,expanded and embellished upon by the cognoscenti to good effect ,for all concerned.
Aplologies for the unsolicited advice in advance, but this is my two cents worth.
911987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2009, 15:44   #2496
Distinguished - BHPian
 
harit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,908
Thanked: 2,485 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911987 View Post
Probably will get my head bitten off for butting in, but gentleman, why has everyone gone for Anmol89 as though he has committed a major crime? The possibility exists that he has not seen the entire collection of Mr. Titus and has reproduced a list given to him( he mentions photos of all cars are available) so give him the opportunity to post the photos and then take him apart. As for typos, most of us would be guilty of those from time to time.
The only reason I write this is because many a novice in the vintage world, like myself, would hesitate to post whatever info they had in the face of such reactions, whether accurate or inaccurate ,and we would all miss out on potentially interesting posts in the bargain.Totally respect the cumulative knowledge and acumen of the worthy critics above but in the face of their scorn and ridicule, I for one would not risk posting stuff I am not 100 percent sure of, which could then be corrected,expanded and embellished upon by the cognoscenti to good effect ,for all concerned.
Aplologies for the unsolicited advice in advance, but this is my two cents worth.
Hi 911987,
I appreciate your point and would agree to almost all what you say, with a small exception.
I too do not like to scorn and ridicule anyone, but there are limits to what one posts and we keep quiet. The collection he talks about is a compact collection, where did 200 cars come from? And the cars he mentions, can you show us even one Franklin in India? And he mentions three! And there are numerous more such examples like the Edsel.
The whole point is that we try, as far as possible give accurate information to the best of our knowledge. And when something comes up, we try to do some very basic research. And if we think that we know better, we discuss. And we do point out errors to some members who post with some overenthusiasm. But this is a case of outright fantasy. The list is concocted, and so we reacted by poking some fun.
Agree that we all have typos, but here so many names are wrongly put, so there is a basic doubt from where this info has come to him. And if he had made an effort and checked his facts a wee little bit, he would have found his own answers. There are no muscle cars in that collection, anyone in Delhi would have told him that.
Basically none of us is so arrogant to scare someone away, we also started as novices at sometime and were shrugged off, but atleast we did not create fiction. That is the basic difference and a reason for the reaction.
I am against biting anyones head off, we are just having a dialogue. And the last sentence in the 2nd para says a lot, that is what we can wholeheartedly agree with!

Cheers harit

Last edited by harit : 17th November 2009 at 15:47.
harit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2009, 16:06   #2497
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 138
Thanked: 29 Times
Default

@Harit, appreciate your detailed reply.Obviously, you and the others speak from a position of knowledge on the above mentioned collection.Accept the possibility that the original post under discussion may be based more on enthusiasm than accurate information.Many years ago I used to wander around in search of vintage cars,more for the satisfaction of finding them, than for the pleasure of acquiring them.In that search, sometimes the unlikeliest of persons would mention something about a car lying somewhere which once in a very long while would result in a find(this was many years ago when quite a few orphan cars were still to be seen just lying around).It was to encourage this free flow of info that I suggested a little latitude be given to possibly/probably inaccurate posts in the hope that one day we could all benefit, even from someone's flight of fantasy, take a clue from it, realising our own fantasy in the process. In the final analysis, isnt that what our common passion is all about, to dream the impossible dream, a la Don Quixote?
Good luck and Godspeed.
911987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2009, 10:15   #2498
BHPian
 
Sidman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 415
Thanked: 13 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Hi 911987,
I appreciate your point and would agree to almost all what you say, with a small exception.
I too do not like to scorn and ridicule anyone, but there are limits to what one posts and we keep quiet. The collection he talks about is a compact collection, where did 200 cars come from? And the cars he mentions, can you show us even one Franklin in India? And he mentions three! And there are numerous more such examples like the Edsel.
The whole point is that we try, as far as possible give accurate information to the best of our knowledge. And when something comes up, we try to do some very basic research. And if we think that we know better, we discuss. And we do point out errors to some members who post with some overenthusiasm. But this is a case of outright fantasy. The list is concocted, and so we reacted by poking some fun.
Agree that we all have typos, but here so many names are wrongly put, so there is a basic doubt from where this info has come to him. And if he had made an effort and checked his facts a wee little bit, he would have found his own answers. There are no muscle cars in that collection, anyone in Delhi would have told him that.
Basically none of us is so arrogant to scare someone away, we also started as novices at sometime and were shrugged off, but atleast we did not create fiction. That is the basic difference and a reason for the reaction.
I am against biting anyones head off, we are just having a dialogue. And the last sentence in the 2nd para says a lot, that is what we can wholeheartedly agree with!

Cheers harit
I too agree with what Harit says. Enthusiasm is no excuse for creating a fictitious collection of cars, on a site whose members strive hard to provide accurate and factual information. Newbies are always welcome, nobody has a problem with them. But when they post photos that are obviously from another country, and try to pass them off as a Chattarpur collection, how does it make other members feel? "Cheated" and "Insulted" are two words that come to mind. If Anmol has factual information and photos to share, he is welcome to put them up, no one will bother him.
Sidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2009, 11:57   #2499
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 138
Thanked: 29 Times
Default

Gentlemen, I seem to be in a minority of one, as all of you seem to have access to information on the post/poster under discussion, which I am not privy to.
In the circumstances I wil gracefully withdraw, hoping that a couple of points I tried to make on the importance of tolerating enthusiastic, if ignorant enthusiasts, at least up to the point where it is fair to assume they are posting in good faith( and not with a view to impress with baseless information).
This policy ,I feel for whatever it's worth, will yield valuable data which may otherwise not surface,to all of us, maybe rarely, but when it comes, it will be worth waiting for.Speaking for myself, I would not be overly critical of early posts by newbies, for the reason outlined above but as I said earlier everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
Good luck.
911987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2009, 12:23   #2500
BHPian
 
Edsel Rulez!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 184
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911987 View Post
...hoping that a couple of points I tried to make on the importance of tolerating enthusiastic, if ignorant enthusiasts, at least up to the point where it is fair to assume they are posting in good faith.
It's true some members were quick to pounce on the OP, perhaps with unfair alacrity, but I'm sure you'll agree this kind of info has absolutely no relevance in a thread titled Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars. Maybe this latter point should have been stressed instead of the stale news / mistakes / exaggeration accusations.
Edsel Rulez! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2009, 13:03   #2501
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 138
Thanked: 29 Times
Default

@Edsel Rulez, sorry, back again,appreciate your pointing out the Titus post has no place in Pics of Disintegrating Classic and Vintage Cars, which is the first valid criticism among others,which could have been leveled at it.
My comment on tolerance which you have quoted, which you may agree may be more appropriate in the context of the title of the post and will,I hope ,find some degree of acceptance among our learned friends.
911987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2009, 23:58   #2502
Senior - BHPian
 
SuperSelect's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Mumbai.
Posts: 1,805
Thanked: 205 Times
Default

Hey let's wrap this up here and now guys..
None of us meant any offence to Anmol, and if it did appear so, I'll say sorry . This is harmless jibing which goes on, and is taken for granted among friends. And in tbhp I believe we're all friends with some liberties taken for granted.
911987, you're very right in all the points you've made, and it's heartening to see a tbhpian stand up for another (unknown) tbhpian. This spirit is part of the same friendly nature of this forum, which may also permit us to take an ocassional liberty with a fellow tbhpian !!
I myself have been made fun of, on the odd occasion !!
Let's leave this alone, let's shake hands with Anmol and get on with the business of enjoying classic cars.
Anmol, keep up the good work buddy, you're as wanted on this thread as is any one of us .
And 911987, I wish I too had friends like you !!
SuperSelect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2009, 06:36   #2503
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 138
Thanked: 29 Times
Default

@Superselect, thanks for the unwarranted apppreciation and kind words.My apologies once again to all of you ,for butting in on this topic, had no intention of making this a running discussion, that's just the way it unfolded.
The posts that all of you generate have me addicted to this site and are my daily fix.If I have been self -righteous in my posts, it was only out of a fear that I might be deprived of some portion of that daily fix as a result of newcomers/novices hesitating to post because of potential embarrassment at being exposed for making ill-informed comments.In no way am I suggesting that intentional mis-information be allowed to proliferate on the site and would definitely appreciate censure/ correction meted out by all of you, as per your collective perception.
Thanks to all of you for allowing me to be continuingly involved ,albeit second-hand , in a passion which I am not actively pursuing, today.
Good luck and Godspeed.
911987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2009, 09:17   #2504
Senior - BHPian
 
manishalive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,386
Thanked: 575 Times
Default

Now can we have the pictures for viewing pleasure of all of us in appropriate thread.
manishalive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2009, 11:14   #2505
Distinguished - BHPian
 
harit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,908
Thanked: 2,485 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911987 View Post
@Harit, appreciate your detailed reply.
Many years ago I used to wander around in search of vintage cars,more for the satisfaction of finding them, than for the pleasure of acquiring them. In that search, sometimes the unlikeliest of persons would mention something about a car lying somewhere which once in a very long while would result in a find (this was many years ago when quite a few orphan cars were still to be seen just lying around).
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911987 View Post
In the circumstances I wil gracefully withdraw, hoping that a couple of points I tried to make on the importance of tolerating enthusiastic, if ignorant enthusiasts, at least up to the point where it is fair to assume they are posting in good faith( and not with a view to impress with baseless information).
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911987 View Post
@Edsel Rulez, sorry, back again,appreciate your pointing out the Titus post has no place in Pics of Disintegrating Classic and Vintage Cars, which is the first valid criticism among others,which could have been leveled at it.
My comment on tolerance which you have quoted, which you may agree may be more appropriate in the context of the title of the post and will,I hope ,find some degree of acceptance among our learned friends.
[quote=911987;1590164My apologies once again to all of you ,for butting in on this topic, had no intention of making this a running discussion, that's just the way it unfolded.
The posts that all of you generate have me addicted to this site and are my daily fix.If I have been self -righteous in my posts, it was only out of a fear that I might be deprived of some portion of that daily fix as a result of newcomers/novices hesitating to post because of potential embarrassment at being exposed for making ill-informed comments.In no way am I suggesting that intentional mis-information be allowed to proliferate on the site and would definitely appreciate censure/ correction meted out by all of you, as per your collective perception.
Thanks to all of you for allowing me to be continuingly involved ,albeit second-hand , in a passion which I am not actively pursuing, today.
Good luck and Godspeed.[/quote]

Hi 911987,

A general comment on your posts above which I have edited.
I highlighted a line which I felt was a barb, but never mind, we actually do seem to share common interests.
So, I will begin by requesting you to tell us some stories about your finds during your wanderings. Even if some of your finds have moved on, there will be stories for us to share and discuss. Maybe we will find where your discoveries have landed up. This could even lighten up the threads a bit.
No one asked you to ever gracefully withdraw, or to appologise. That is NOT what we are aiming for in our posting. You felt strongly about something and told us. Many of us had another take and told you. See, a discussion. We are not looking for victories, defeats, appologies etc. That will take away the fun and embarass at least some of us. You made a very valid point, not to lose a potential link to information. But there are quite a few who post nonsense on the forum, when it comes in small doses, that can be corrected, when it comes in large doses, well, we do give vaccinations.
Since you say you are addicted, why not contribute with your old stories and take it from there.
BTW, there are some guys who exaggerate to such an extend that they lose all credibility and no one believes them anymore. There is this guy who even in foreign print has put that he is onto 1930's Lincoln, all baloney. And the word on these creative artists spreads so fast, that even a pinch of salt is too little to give them any credibility.
My aim with this post is also to wrap it up and waiting for your stories.

Cheers harit

Last edited by harit : 19th November 2009 at 11:19.
harit is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India X-Machine Vintage Cars & Classics in India 2675 21st March 2017 10:18
Report & Pics: The 50th Statesman Vintage & Classic Car Rally karlosdeville Vintage Cars & Classics in India 11 22nd March 2016 08:00
Fuel-tank Rust Removal (by Electrolysis) & Rust Proofing H3LIOS Motorbikes 30 19th May 2014 14:26
Jeep Rusting and disintegrating: drmessiah 4x4 Vehicles 21 22nd June 2011 21:15
Rust Control for Classic cars?? wilkie366 Vintage Cars & Classics in India 13 31st December 2010 15:31


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 21:34.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks