Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Old 22nd February 2010, 13:34   #2851
Senior - BHPian

Not for sale. Pics from a friend.
Attached Images

Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2010, 20:06   #2852
BHPian

I had been to KV kuppan for a field visit. I saw a whole lot of treasure there. My eyes literally came out of its socket. I saw many cars of vintage value, which includes a bedford 4x4 truck, a bedford minivan, a Ambassador mark II, a 4x4 Mahindra FC van. standard van and a whole lots of VW microbuses. I have managed to take a few pics with my humble mobile,Please do overlook the qlty of pics.

Dr. Messiah
Attached Images

drmessiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2010, 20:30   #2853
Senior - BHPian

Whoa, great pics buddy and a split window VW van, most desirable i might say. Do you think it is for sale and where or what is KV Kuppan??
V-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2010, 21:21   #2854
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Default KilvayattananKuppam

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
...where or what is KV Kuppan??
Gogi, K.V. Kuppam is the simplified (abbreviated) name of a village -- KilvayattananKuppam, a name some may find difficult to pronounce.

It is located on Tamil Nadu State Highway 59, approximately 17 km west of Katpadi Junction.

Name:  KVKuppam.jpg
Views: 2920
Size:  120.8 KB

Katpadi Junction is an important Rail Junction on the Southern Railway, about 7.5 km north of Vellore on State Hwy 9. Katpadi is virtually on the border between Tamil Nadu and Andhra Pradesh.

Ram
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2010, 21:30   #2855
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
Gogi, K.V. Kuppam is the simplified (abbreviated) name of a village -- KilvayattananKuppam, a name some may find difficult to pronounce.

It is located on Tamil Nadu State Highway 59, approximately 17 km west of Katpadi Junction.

Katpadi Junction is an important Rail Junction on the Southern Railway, about 7.5 km north of Vellore on State Hwy 9. Katpadi is virtually on the border between Tamil Nadu and Andhra Pradesh.

Ram
Ram is right about the location. Its an interesting story of the the vehicles piled up there. They want to dispose it somehow, but its seems they are accountable,because the UN,WHO and various other missions have donated these. I must add that there is a Land rover too there. They have 3 of those huge Bedford trucks which are all wheel drive. I ll take more pictures and get more details of the disintegrating vehicles there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Whoa, great pics buddy and a split window VW van, most desirable i might say. Do you think it is for sale and where or what is KV Kuppan??
There are 2 splits in fact. Mr Ram is right about the location.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Last edited by Technocrat : 22nd February 2010 at 22:09. Reason: Please read the note in your post, thanks
drmessiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2010, 22:16   #2856
Senior - BHPian

drmessaih's pics remind me of a place close to Hubli, similiar sights there too. There were quite a few splits and bays there. And they too came from UN and some other global organisation. Anyone know why they cant be sold?. I think 67bug knows a bit about them too - the Hubli one's.
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2010, 22:21   #2857
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
drmessaih's pics remind me of a place close to Hubli, similiar sights there too. There were quite a few splits and bays there. And they too came from UN and some other global organisation. Anyone know why they cant be sold?. I think 67bug knows a bit about them too - the Hubli
one's.
The reason why they cannot sell is simple, they are UN registered WHO cars.

They were left here on Goodwill, these cars can go as scrap, unless you graft another document on them, which is a

Most of these cars have been rusting there since 30 yrs and not many will be in restorable condition also, as i can clearly see plants and trees growing through them
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2010, 23:51   #2858
Team-BHP Support

Lying around near Kala Ghoda. Felt bad seeing it this way.

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-photo0489.jpg

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-photo0490.jpg
FlyingSpur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2010, 00:34   #2859
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspur View Post
Lying around near Kala Ghoda. Felt bad seeing it this way.
I too saw this car two Sunday's ago when I had gone for the Kala Ghoda festival. As per the badging, it is a 7 series! Rear screen is smashed.
The maintainance would probably be too heavy and so she was just left on the road. Why the municipality has not towed her away is a mystery.

Cheers harit
harit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2010, 00:40   #2860
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
The reason why they cannot sell is simple, they are UN registered WHO cars.
A similar story - there are three lovely Land Rovers wasting away in the compound of a special education institute at Bandra. Probably a donation from some English Monarch..
Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
I too saw this car two Sunday's ago when I had gone for the Kala Ghoda festival. As per the badging, it is a 7 series! Rear screen is smashed.
The maintainance would probably be too heavy and so she was just left on the road. Why the municipality has not towed her away is a mystery.
Hey I was there on sunday too, saw this car.
Why would anyone who can't afford repairs buy a Beemer in the first place ? Such a shame..
SuperSelect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2010, 00:50   #2861
Team-BHP Support

I think I must have walked past atleast 10 bhp'ians at the Kala Ghoda festival Anyway yeah, it's a 7 and it's been lying neglested there for ages !!
FlyingSpur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2010, 00:55   #2862
Ram
Senior - BHPian

In the absence of real data, one can speculate.
Here's food for thought -- admittedly a little feral.

Prime property real-estate, cars and aircraft can fall to ruin because of the illness, death or incarceration of the owner. Have also seen children and dependents fall wayward because of these things -- and that is much more serious than deterioration of a mass-produced car.

Big-ticket merchandise is also sometimes bought with ill-gotten wealth and equally carelessly abandoned when weighed against concerns of much more pressing priority.

And not every owner of expensive merchandise is always on the squeaky clean side of the law, of impeccable character or credentials.

Just thoughts...

P.S. I have an example from my own observation. There is a once fully airworthy Boeing 707-120 (a.k.a 720 model 025) that actually flew-in to Nagpur, lying abandoned there for sixteen years. The last owner -- an Indian company abandoned it at the airport. Now it accumulates dust and airport parking charges, awaiting restoration or scrapping.

Last edited by Ram : 23rd February 2010 at 01:05.
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2010, 05:38   #2863

One of the split screens is a samba (small windows in the roof) such a shame it's going to waste. The other micro buses are late 60's early 70's.
Fugitive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2010, 10:48   #2864
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
In the absence of real data, one can speculate......
Just thoughts...

.............P.S. I have an example from my own observation. There is a once fully airworthy Boeing 707-120 (a.k.a 720 model 025) that actually flew-in to Nagpur, lying abandoned there for sixteen years. The last owner -- an Indian company abandoned it at the airport. Now it accumulates dust and airport parking charges, awaiting restoration or scrapping.
There is another angle. Whether the repair costs are worth it when compared to the value of the car. A classic example is the Mercedes S class 126. These cars already had a lot of electronics built in. If you travel around south Mumbai, there are two 126's rotting on the streets on Malabar Hill, one behind the police station near Metro Cinema, another on the police grounds at Worli, and I am sure that there are many others around. And many have been scrapped.
When Concorde Motors closed down its Mercedes dealership, they also gave up their workshop at Matunga. That had 3 to 4 126's lying ready and repaired, but the owners did not pay the bill. They had to negotiate to get the cars out, even involved themselves in the selling of the cars.
A few years later a 126 had come to Sanghi Motors on a truck from outstation. I was curious because these service stations are vary to take such work precisely for this reason. Anyhow, the car was a dead as she could be. They started with the electronics, the first part changed cost Rs 60000/-, and after that only they could proceed. The customer could not be told exactly how much the cost would be as there was no way to find what all had been ruined. In the end he paid around 5L for a car worth around 3L. He was happy, got a nice working car, but maintainance is expensive. If you really go to see, how many 7 to 10 year old BMW's does one see in good condition running regularly on the road? More are off road than on road. For such cars, regular DEALER maintainance is a must, and costs money. Roadside and small workshops will lead to the car becoming rundown. Believe me. That does not mean that all authorised workshops are the best, one has to keep an eye when sending the car for work, but chances of having a good running car are much brighter.

Cheers harit
harit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2010, 15:08   #2865
Senior - BHPian

Aie Caramba those buses are awsome I see more than one Split screen. Even if one can't register them, they could certainly make great museum pieces i.e. the 2 in south and Titus's museum in Delhi. Sad to see them go down like this it is a crime :(

Ram my sentiments exactly I found many people do this and can't understand why?! I suppose human nature but more prevalant in our parts. The w126 at worli is an underworld case was lying inside crawford market police HQ earlier so not relevant here. I find owners of such cars have them for the wrong reason/have too many/taken on something they can't chew/just not bothered last one being rare as after we are in India . I saw a ground up resto at sanghi 126 & w107 different owners but I think they was some emmotional connect therefore owner did not care of costs. Saw some at Autohanger, one fire case others simply a case of our mentalities = reactive than proactive mindset. I believe if you are passionate about cars you can still maintain them at some select & knowledgable non main workshops at reasonable rates (some parts can be expensive though) but beats the 300% markup at main dealers! and run such cars.
canonball is offline   Reply With Quote