Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Old 12th August 2010, 22:13   #3256
Senior - BHPian

The Millecento looks like a great project, if i did not have a Elegant already I would have volunteered. She has only surface rust, and should not be that tough to get back. Why not check on her status. Ravi why dont you pick up this car?
the mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2010, 23:10   #3257
BHPian

Default The Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Nope, its a Peugeot 404!

Also reverting to this car:

I thought it looked familiar!

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1659687-post2643.html
The Rover was fixed in situ by the owner to prove his ownership over the the 10' X 20' plot . Hats off to the present owner Mr. Ved Prakash for having the courage to unearth ( literally ) and restore the car.

I picked up the Clipper from the same person.

...and a place called Jhumri Talaiya does exist.

Regards
Chauhan
vintageman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2010, 10:30   #3258
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesonu View Post
Found these rotting away in Jamshedpur. Some are beyond the point of return. Did not get enough time to check on their status with owners. Hope fellow Bhpians from JSR can help us here:
..more to come
Quote:
Some more from Jamshedpur: NO INFO about their availability for sale but is trying to get more info. Will post further info here as soonest available.
But found out that most are being used by owners to claim fuel/car bills from their employers.
Sorry for the delayed response, my net was down again!!

Anyways, saw the pics.......my heart goes out to the Heralds!!! I cant express how saddening it is to see so many of them rotting away together!
Yes, its obvious that they have been bought to milk the fuel allowance from the co.! Although I'm not sure about the ones with other state regns.
We've had the same case here in Hyd.'bad, where they used to be many Standards in a similar state lying around in ECIL and BHEL housing localities! (Now I guess the preferred scapegoats being Fiats/padminis)

Yes, the millecento looks quite restorable, can make a good project. The 4-door Herald can make a good parts donor atleast. It still has most of the trims/pattis intact!!
Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2010, 16:44   #3259
BHPian

Here is a contessa which was seen near my JEEP's garage.

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-08082010047.jpg
Sabareesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2010, 16:47   #3260
Senior - BHPian

Its in a very sorry state. It would take quite a budget if someone could adopt the Conti and give her life. I always dreamt of owning one, however, thought against it as I dont have adequate parking for it.
funkykar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2010, 17:44   #3261
BHPian

Real Shame,

The conti was an amazing car in its time, spacious & luxurious.

The later Diesel version was even better providing good fuel economy.
allana13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2010, 19:36   #3262
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabareesh View Post

Attachment 405007
Appears to be a later version.Its a gone case. Maybe the owner avoided costly repairs seeing the car's market value.
anjan_c2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2010, 19:43   #3263

that car could be my late Father's. My father bought a 49 Hudson in Lucknow in 1953 and we had it till he passed away in 1961. that car was sold in Asansol, West Bengal.
Any idea of that beast .......... tuhin k roy, my mp 98301 76486
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
This is a Hudson Commodore from the late 1940's seen rotting sometime in 2003 by me. Not sighted now after that.This is not a digital image and so sorry for the quality.
Attachment 370976
Here are some pictures of how such a car appears in pristine condition.(source:oldcarandtruckpictures.com)
Attachment 370977
Attachment 370978
Attachment 370979
HudsonTKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2010, 20:51   #3264
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabareesh View Post

Attachment 405007
would it be possible to get parts off it? would really help a lot of people if that can be done.

@funkykar:its a dream worth pursuing. its an awesome car. i just bought one two months back. Loving it and with a power steering its very easy to park as well.
mycarhasablower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2010, 22:10   #3265
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
This is a Hudson Commodore from the late 1940's seen rotting sometime in 2003 by me. Not sighted now after that.This is not a digital image and so sorry for the quality.
Attachment 370976
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
Thats a defender in the first picture.

I had seen a similar condition Hudson Commodore in Delhi outside Pandit & Co and the car belonged to a well known collector. I am guessing this could be the car now in Delhi.
HudsonTKR Thats the subsequent post by speedy who says the car could be in Delhi.I can let you know about where the car went from Nagpur in 2003 soon.
anjan_c2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2010, 22:35   #3266
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycarhasablower View Post
@funkykar:its a dream worth pursuing. its an awesome car. i just bought one two months back. Loving it and with a power steering its very easy to park as well.

Thats amazing!!! I remember you being desperately searching for a Conti some time ago. I am happy you found it. By the way, I am used to old cars, maintenance, running and parking stuff. I dont need power steering . The more difficult it is to handle, the better I feel. Its just the logistics that I wouldnt be able to handle. If not, I would bring home a Conti any day. Its easily (relative to Delhi) available in Bangalore.
funkykar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2010, 11:17   #3267
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Found these rotting away in Jamshedpur. Some are beyond the point of return. Did not get enough time to check on their status with owners. Hope fellow Bhpians from JSR can help us here:
Can you tell me which part of JSR these cars are to be found? I have a few clients there and visit occasionally. Maybe I can check out the Millicento (the others are not worth the trouble) on my next visit.
predatorwheelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2010, 12:52   #3268
Senior - BHPian

@predatorwheelz:
Location of Blue is: Tayo Colony, gtype flats. Its near Town office.

Raab Rakha.
ariesonu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2010, 18:40   #3269
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
Thats amazing!!! I remember you being desperately searching for a Conti some time ago. I am happy you found it. By the way, I am used to old cars, maintenance, running and parking stuff. I dont need power steering . The more difficult it is to handle, the better I feel. Its just the logistics that I wouldnt be able to handle. If not, I would bring home a Conti any day. Its easily (relative to Delhi) available in Bangalore.
the search was pretty desperate indeed.with the nuber of contis left in delhi , it had to be.

i know the feeling when the head comes in the way of what your heart wants. Of the list of cars i wanted to own i had to strike off a few (particularly since i may not be in india after 3 years so i dont have enough time to restore too many cars). always wanted a tata sierra turbo, and an ne 118. had i got the sierra first then probably i would have given up the conti. Now that i have the conti i have given up the ne since they are very similar in character. So now i intend to get a herald if i can find one and a fiat i learnt to drive on one(a 1989 economy model) and its my greatest regret that i couldnt stop my dad from selling it. Was 17 then and didnt have much of a say, but trust me i tried my best to stop him.
so if i can get the conti restoration done soon enough , ill get a fiat, cuz with college and all time is at a premium.
mycarhasablower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2010, 13:52   #3270
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by allana13 View Post
Real Shame,

The conti was an amazing car in its time, spacious & luxurious.

The later Diesel version was even better providing good fuel economy.
the isuzu engine conti was very very powerful compared to what was available at the time, that was about it. it had horrible road manners and handling,horrible build quality and horrible electrics.and the later fibre bumper cars were worse, even power was reduced from 88bhp to 75 bhp in those. i bought mine in 1988 and used it through college, up to 1992 when i replaced it with one of the earliest tata sierras.
awini is offline   Reply With Quote