Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2010, 16:24   #3406
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: BANG-A-LURE.
Posts: 1,029
Thanked: 2,768 Times
Default

Well said Harit.

W123 were the best engineered cars known to mankind.It is a tribute to the car's instant popularity and possibly to the caution built into the production schedules that nine months after its introduction, a black market had developed in Germany for Mercedes-Benz W123s available for immediate delivery.Customers willing to order new cars from their local authorized dealer for the recommended list price faced waiting times in excess of twelve months.Hardly used models available at once were commanding a premium over the new price.
Attached Images
 

Last edited by GTO : 26th October 2010 at 10:49. Reason: Cleaning up thread of Maruti vs W123
SILVERWOOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2010, 16:43   #3407
Distinguished - BHPian
 
harit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,903
Thanked: 2,457 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
Well said Harit.

W123 were the best engineered cars known to mankind.It is a tribute to the car's instant popularity and possibly to the caution built into the production schedules that nine months after its introduction, a black market had developed in Germany for Mercedes-Benz W123s available for immediate delivery.Customers willing to order new cars from their local authorized dealer for the recommended list price faced waiting times in excess of twelve months.Hardly used models available at once were commanding a premium over the new price.
Agreed that the W123 was one of the best engineered car for its time. They were the first cars I have seen in Mumbai that required tin-work after 15 or more years. But the last car was made in 1985, so now it is at least a 25 year old car. And relatively expensive to maintain, parts are not cheap and not always available. And many have been botched at roadsides.

I would not exactly say that there was a black market for these cars. Mercedes employees had an option to buy cars from the factory at a subsidesed rate, and then sell the car after one year. Such cars were called "Jahreswagen", translated means year old cars, and these were sold without any loss of value, and were normally low mileage cars. Mercedes dealers used to have their show rooms full of such cars, and many emplyees sold their cars though the dealers. The effect was that the employees drove their cars almost free of cost. Remember, the same thing happened in India with the Premiers, but reasons and circumstances were different.

Today also W 123's are doing heavy duty in Africa, middle east like Lebanon, Syria, Palestine. There is quite a large export of chewed out cars from Europe to these countries even today.
Would I ever have a W 123 in my collection? Maybe, but only if it is a coupe.

Cheers harit

Last edited by harit : 18th October 2010 at 16:46.
harit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2010, 10:47   #3408
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: BANG-A-LURE.
Posts: 1,029
Thanked: 2,768 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post

I would not exactly say that there was a black market for these cars.
Harit Bhai,

The was indeed a black market for these wonderful cars.

Mercedes-Benz W123 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
SILVERWOOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2010, 11:20   #3409
Distinguished - BHPian
 
harit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,903
Thanked: 2,457 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
Harit Bhai,

The was indeed a black market for these wonderful cars.

Mercedes-Benz W123 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Correct, and this is what it says "Hardly used models available at once were commanding a premium over the new price of around DM 5,000". This was the way to do it because selling a brand new car at a premium would have invited penal action in Germany. So this activity was covered under the "Jahrewagen" scheme. It is not just Indians who know how to get around rules. So cars were resold, you paid a premium and were the second owner. When you saw such cars, they all looked spanking new. BTW, this was also on for W124 cars.

Cheers harit
harit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2010, 23:27   #3410
DKG
Senior - BHPian
 
DKG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,700
Thanked: 886 Times
Default

Silverwood have you seen the red W123 here in Hyderabad? I froze in my tracks when I saw the car the first time. Its almost like the car was mothballed since new. Outstanding example and right here in Hyderabad for you to drool over. Call me sometime and will let you know who has it
DKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2010, 09:42   #3411
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: BANG-A-LURE.
Posts: 1,029
Thanked: 2,768 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Silverwood have you seen the red W123 here in Hyderabad? I froze in my tracks when I saw the car the first time. Its almost like the car was mothballed since new. Outstanding example and right here in Hyderabad for you to drool over. Call me sometime and will let you know who has it
Deepak Sahb.

W123 in Hyderabad.?

Thanks for this info.I will call you soon.
SILVERWOOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2010, 10:02   #3412
Senior - BHPian
 
wasif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Abu Dhabi (for now)
Posts: 2,929
Thanked: 335 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Silverwood have you seen the red W123 here in Hyderabad? I froze in my tracks when I saw the car the first time. Its almost like the car was mothballed since new. Outstanding example and right here in Hyderabad for you to drool over. Call me sometime and will let you know who has it

Do tell moe on this car and who owns it, pictures would be great too
wasif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2010, 13:07   #3413
DKG
Senior - BHPian
 
DKG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,700
Thanked: 886 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Do tell moe on this car and who owns it, pictures would be great too
I don't have a picture of this particular car. It may have been imported brand new by the owners of Mahalaxmi motors initially. I think, vaguely, the reg number is 1700 ? The owner has maintained it in amazing condition. I'll try to get his number and perhaps Silverwood can meet up with him and photograph the car to share here.
DKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2010, 15:28   #3414
BHPian
 
vinod_namakkal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Namakkal / Coimbatore / Chennai
Posts: 74
Thanked: 3 Times
Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolffe View Post
Here's the Fiat 1100 and 2 Merc's outside the same garage where I spotted the Chevy.The garage was locked again-took the pics from the opp side of the road.
Wolfee what that garrage near Koyambedu, on Bangalore Highway?
vinod_namakkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2010, 14:21   #3415
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 135
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Spotted this Vauxhall near Shantiniketan in WB. I beleive its a Wyvern.

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-img_0219.jpg
atrisarkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2010, 14:11   #3416
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: trivandrum
Posts: 2,342
Thanked: 876 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by atrisarkar View Post
Spotted this Vauxhall near Shantiniketan in WB. I beleive its a Wyvern.

Attachment 443373
it could be a VELOX or Wyvern,both had the same shape,but different engines
ajay99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2010, 20:10   #3417
Senior - BHPian
 
IQBAL VEERJI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: SAAT BUNGLA, BAMBAI.
Posts: 1,036
Thanked: 277 Times
Default

Saw these two ladies at Andheri ,once they may have been cared beautifully, maintained, now lie in this state of total abandoning, one (FIAT) is lying upside down like a dead cockroach,and the other one (MARUTI 800) being vandalized by these rascals who climb on its top,bonnet,and bend the doors.Although they dont belong to me but on seeing these kids vandalizing the car I shouted at them and scared them away. I fail to unerstand how people just abandone their cars like this.
Attached Images
        
IQBAL VEERJI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2010, 22:09   #3418
Senior - BHPian
 
IQBAL VEERJI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: SAAT BUNGLA, BAMBAI.
Posts: 1,036
Thanked: 277 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IQBAL VEERJI View Post
Saw these two ladies at Andheri ,once they may have been cared beautifully, maintained, now lie in this state of total abandoning, one (FIAT) is lying upside down like a dead cockroach,and the other one (MARUTI 800) being vandalized by these rascals who climb on its top,bonnet,and bend the doors.Although they dont belong to me but on seeing these kids vandalizing the car I shouted at them and scared them away. I fail to unerstand how people just abandone their cars like this.
I am extreamly sorry to post the photos in this manner and angles the problem was by the time I could correct the angles my internet line got disconnected and when I was on line again time to correct and edit was over ,sorry once again,otherwise these were very good photographs.Regards
IQBAL VEERJI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2010, 22:25   #3419
Senior - BHPian
 
IQBAL VEERJI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: SAAT BUNGLA, BAMBAI.
Posts: 1,036
Thanked: 277 Times
Default

Saw this FIAT at santacruz our dear freind Ravi alias Super Select can identify this black beauty by just looking at it, and start his views like Year of manufecture,Type,what parts are original and what modifications made on it,....what could be the price in as is where is,etcetc...
Attached Images
   
IQBAL VEERJI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2010, 00:04   #3420
Senior - BHPian
 
SuperSelect's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Mumbai.
Posts: 1,804
Thanked: 203 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IQBAL VEERJI View Post
Saw this FIAT at santacruz our dear freind Ravi alias Super Select can identify this black beauty by just looking at it, and start his views like Year of manufecture,Type,what parts are original and what modifications made on it,....what could be the price in as is where is,etcetc...
Wow, nice find Iqbal ji ! Where at Santa cruz ?
This is probably a 1959 Select with a Super Select grille.
SuperSelect is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India X-Machine Vintage Cars & Classics in India 2665 22nd January 2017 00:40
Report & Pics: The 50th Statesman Vintage & Classic Car Rally karlosdeville Vintage Cars & Classics in India 11 22nd March 2016 08:00
Fuel-tank Rust Removal (by Electrolysis) & Rust Proofing H3LIOS Motorbikes 30 19th May 2014 14:26
Jeep Rusting and disintegrating: drmessiah 4x4 Vehicles 21 22nd June 2011 21:15
Rust Control for Classic cars?? wilkie366 Vintage Cars & Classics in India 13 31st December 2010 15:31


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 06:06.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks