Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Old 29th August 2007, 02:22   #421
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
bhai does the gear stick of the 114 come this way it looks like the w123 gear stick put on. or did it come originaly this way.
the jeep looks like a engine swap has been performed cause i have not seen a right hand low bonnet.
ask if its got the original side valve engine. As its a low bonet it cant fit the OHV engine so my guess is its a diesel. Also find out if its a 4WD as a lot of swaps when done, do away with the 4WD. As i cant see the front differential of the 4WD. Also the wind screen... is it a split type or a single type. Its difficult to tell whether the line dividing the screen in the pic posted is a reflection or its the real divide. I think its a reflection These models came with split screens only. Also below the screen there should be an embossed Willy's stamp which is missing (all thanks to Ram for educating me on all this only yesterday when he was visiting me..)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
Hey will find out th details of the jeep from the guy tomorrow!!!
Great, waiting for that

Quote:
it wont dilute the value of the 230 atall. you can use the car with these headlights also and if you want to change it you can. the ones on the car like gogi bhai pointed out came in american models and the other type in european ones.
it is ok for the car to have manual handles even mine does except mine has a power sunroof.
my personal preference would be to take the 230 and the pontiac you would be able to find plenty of w123's and preferably look for a 240d or a 300d.
i am sure gogi bhai would agree.
Absolutely right on the dot Speedy buddy. The pontiac more than the 115 i'd say. when looking for a W123, get an automatic only. Cant tell you what a pleasure it is to drive one.
V-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2007, 02:28   #422
Distinguished - BHPian

Okie, the caretaker of the place was not there and his phone was off, so couldnt get more details. Last heard twas, he wanted around 80-90 for the 123, no idea about the rest. Will have to work hard for the pont. Also can u tell me some link where i can get some info o the pontiac and the 114/5??
JayD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2007, 02:38   #423
Senior - BHPian

an easier car parts wise and maintainance wise is the 115. the pontiac you would have to look hard for parts and other things. both are valuable to keep. i think you should get all details of both the cars and check the paper work. see what the guy has to ask for the cars and then give your quote.
speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2007, 03:03   #424
Senior - BHPian

Speedy, just for you a look at the gear knob of the 115. The one in the pic posted by JayD only has the addition of the leather surround on it which did come as standard on post 1975 cars

JayD this is how the lights on the 115 you've posted should look. I think they are the right ones only the angle they were shot at made then look slimmer and that looked like W108 lights.... Post 1974-75 the lights had horizontal slats in them like the W123, only they were the size of the W115 lights...with slats

Somewhere in one of the last few posts id by mistake mentioned that since its got quarter glasses, the merc 115 pics posted, showed that its a 1974. What I wanted to say was that since the car has quarter glasses on the front its definitely a pre 1974. Missed the word pre

Last edited by V-16 : 29th August 2007 at 03:06. Reason: add
Old 29th August 2007, 03:25   #425
Distinguished - BHPian

okie sir! that clears the confusion! The tail lamps are the same as u posted! So no worries there.i Had seen the ones with slats on a site, so was pretty mixed up! will go down tomorrow and get more details.!!
Old 29th August 2007, 03:38   #426
Senior - BHPian

the confusion was due to the leather on the gear knob now its all clear.
jayd when you go tommorow and ask for the 230 please inquire about the engine. it should be a six cylinder petrol.
Old 29th August 2007, 13:26   #427
BHPian

Hi ,

Can anyone tell me where the cars below ended up

The blue Chevrolet was rammed by a truck near Roorkee , while under tow.It was offered to me at a amazingly low price - at scrap rates , but sometimes you miss out the easy ones:

The Chevy Impala station wagon was thought to be worth 1,60,000 by the owners - I did not think so :

vintageman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2007, 14:17   #428
Senior - BHPian

vintage man there is one chevrolet like this in bombay which has been made into a convertible with no original parts and is used for shootings. recognise it by the rear tail lights. maybe it is the same car. it is now chopped to bacome a convertible.

the chevy impala station wagon i think should not be more then 75 thousand to 1 lac according to me. you might want to take the car as they dont come by easily any more.
Old 29th August 2007, 15:18   #429
Senior - BHPian

oh god..chopped?i dont understand why these guys are in a habit of making a hard top in to convertible when it has an intact hard top
i looks like he has done that to the fiat next it aswell
these people are funny(these originally apect of the doesnt seen to mean anything to them
AMATMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2007, 15:27   #430
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMATMO View Post
oh god..chopped?i dont understand why these guys are in a habit of making a hard top in to convertible when it has an intact hard top
i looks like he has done that to the fiat next it aswell
these people are funny(these originally apect of the doesnt seen to mean anything to them
the fiat also is a chop job but this picture is in lucknow.
i was talking about a similar car that is in bombay and is a chopped job with no original parts so i have a feeling it is this blue chevy which was bought by the guy and chopped to suit his needs
Old 29th August 2007, 15:37   #431
Distinguished - BHPian

Speedy i think the car u are talking about is the metallic purple-blue convertible which has appeared in many music videos and movies? i think this is the same one too, both are lhd too.
Old 29th August 2007, 16:28   #432
BHPian

The blue chevy was at Roorkee , it had a V 8 engine when I saw it and was being offered for Rs 25,000.

The station wagon was a Lucknow car, I got it out of a prolonged storage & offered 1,00,000 for it a couple of months back but the demand for 1,60,000 was a bit too much for me , the car had been sold when I next visited . It is no longer in Lucknow.
vintageman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2007, 16:32   #433
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
the fiat also is a chop job but this picture is in lucknow.
i was talking about a similar car that is in bombay and is a chopped job with no original parts so i have a feeling it is this blue chevy which was bought by the guy and chopped to suit his needs
Speedy which films did you see the chevy in?
The fiat has been chopped not into a convertable but a pick-up truck!
I'd seen a similar example in yellow & green, used for advertising purposes here....last saw it abandoned (seemed so!) in another aprt of the city.....I'd even known a 2-door Herald with this type of chop job (& much as I hate to say this, it did look quite good!), around 5-6 years ago. Last heard he'd plonked a diesel engine into it & was using it to carry water barrels......!
Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2007, 17:04   #434
Distinguished - BHPian

Finally imageshack is being nice to me for a change!
Here's a 1954-55 fiat 1100 millecento that was scrapped recently, prior to which we had it parted out, although it wasnt very original.
A real pity was the front bumper, otherwise nice, unfortunately had been all bent & cracked as they'd towed the car down all the way with a flat metal bar wedged in between!
Suren decided to take the front mudguards/wings, as spares.

Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2007, 20:31   #435
Senior - BHPian

Sacre Bleu!! This is sacrilege. Even tough she was not all original (the padmini rims, hub caps, carb, side lights, no air filter, etc) but was restorable ...What A Pity!!
The grille looks like brand new.