Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2013, 08:26   #4336
Senior - BHPian
 
r_nairtvm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Dubai/TRV/BLR
Posts: 1,686
Thanked: 1,461 Times
Default Re: Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit V8 View Post
A JAWA 250 bike I'm seeing for the first time. Guru's please id. it.

Attachment 1044337

Attachment 1044338
Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
amitV8 - This seems to be some trash custom job on the Jawa. I'm sure the factory never made something so hideous!
+ 1 to what PW has said above. This seem to have been a sad atempt by some one to make a Cafe Racer out of Jawa.

But the bike seems to be in a reasonable nick and may be a good candidate for a resto job.

Best Regards & Drive/Ride Safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2013, 11:48   #4337
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: trivandrum
Posts: 2,367
Thanked: 901 Times
Default Re: Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micki9559 View Post
@ajay99 Where exactly is this located? Is it for sale? I have been looking for a 61 Chevy for a very long time.
It is not for sale. This was located in the border area near Walayar.
ajay99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2013, 18:27   #4338
v12
Distinguished - BHPian
 
v12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 5,651
Thanked: 2,782 Times
Default Re: Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars

Spotted this rusted Beetle on a flat bed yesterday at Juhu. At first I thought that the car was sent to be scrapped - but then why would someone take the trouble of putting it on a flatbed. Also, the car also had an additional roof which could be used for the restoration. The driver of the flatbed also confirmed that the car is not going to be scrapped.

Does this car belong to any Team-BHPian?
Attached Images
 
v12 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2013, 12:09   #4339
Senior - BHPian
 
speedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mumbai Meri Jaan
Posts: 6,197
Thanked: 919 Times
Default Re: Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
Spotted this rusted Beetle on a flat bed yesterday at Juhu. At first I thought that the car was sent to be scrapped - but then why would someone take the trouble of putting it on a flatbed. Also, the car also had an additional roof which could be used for the restoration. The driver of the flatbed also confirmed that the car is not going to be scrapped.

Does this car belong to any Team-BHPian?
The car left our garage where she was stored till the owner could manage to get a slot free at the worskshop where he wants to have it restored. The car is not going to be scrapped but will be restored.
speedy is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2013, 23:07   #4340
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Stanher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hyderabad, AP
Posts: 6,276
Thanked: 1,446 Times
Default Re: Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars

Here's what looks like the remains of a 1947 Chevrolet (flatbed?) Truck I saw yesterday. 'was able to recognise it only by the dashboard, which (and the steering wheel) is all that remains of it!

Name:  20130205 14.35.05.jpg
Views: 2753
Size:  343.7 KB

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-20130205-14.34.42.jpg

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-20130205-14.34.46.jpg

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-20130205-14.34.55.jpg

Last edited by Stanher : 6th February 2013 at 23:11.
Stanher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2013, 14:57   #4341
Senior - BHPian
 
ariesonu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,040
Thanked: 1,148 Times
Default Re: Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Here's what looks like the remains of a 1947 Chevrolet (flatbed?) Truck I saw yesterday. 'was able to recognise it only by the dashboard, which (and the steering wheel) is all that remains of it!
Hi Shyam,

Carry a spanner & remove that steering and bring it home.

Raab rakha.

Last edited by moralfibre : 8th February 2013 at 15:43. Reason: Fixing quote
ariesonu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2013, 14:49   #4342
BHPian
 
Star man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Brisbane Qld.Australia
Posts: 107
Thanked: 18 Times
Default Re: Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars

The remnants of the cab are certainly Chev but the dash board is a sedan part . The engine is most certainly Not Chev and the Chassis could possibly be WW2 Studebaker 6x6 minus one of the axles .It doesn't look like any Chevy i have worked on . Were there any ID marks on the engine?
The ports on the head are the wrong side of the engine for a Chevy.
Star man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2013, 23:56   #4343
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Stanher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hyderabad, AP
Posts: 6,276
Thanked: 1,446 Times
Default Re: Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star man View Post
The remnants of the cab are certainly Chev but the dash board is a sedan part . The engine is most certainly Not Chev and the Chassis could possibly be WW2 Studebaker 6x6 minus one of the axles .It doesn't look like any Chevy i have worked on . Were there any ID marks on the engine?
The ports on the head are the wrong side of the engine for a Chevy.
Sorry didnt check out the engine in too much detail to spot the ID number! It could be a local make Diesel engine for that natter, as many of these old yank trucks (and even cars) in India were 'Dieselised' eventually due to difficulty with spares for the original engines as well as fuel mileage.
The dash I have seen is the same on other Chevy trucks of '40s Vintage though. Here's another 40s Chevy minibus with the same kind of dash from what I can make out:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...ml#post1304197 (The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread)

Plus one more truck with such a dash I found on flickr:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mr_t_in_dc/4762580136/

And for now, here's a dead early Standard 20 Van I saw while in Madras yesterday. 'was told it belonged to the Electricity board. Looks like its been there for years and is falling apart courtesy of the madras climate! Hard to find these there, even in this state, these days!

PS: Sorry these were taken with my mobile!

Name:  20130210 13.57.531.jpg
Views: 2329
Size:  83.7 KB

Name:  20130210 13.58.151.jpg
Views: 2300
Size:  71.8 KB

Name:  20130210 13.58.301.jpg
Views: 2281
Size:  86.3 KB

Name:  20130210 13.59.151.jpg
Views: 2265
Size:  91.3 KB
Stanher is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2013, 00:05   #4344
BHPian
 
AbhishekB86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 330
Thanked: 359 Times
Default

This one has been parked outside my apartment complex for a really long time. The guard told me it belongs to one of the residents.


Name:  ForumRunner_20130212_000514.png
Views: 2520
Size:  573.9 KB
AbhishekB86 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2013, 00:37   #4345
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Stanher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hyderabad, AP
Posts: 6,276
Thanked: 1,446 Times
Default Re: Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhishekB86 View Post
This one has been parked outside my apartment complex for a really long time. The guard told me it belongs to one of the residents.
Oh wow, an early Herald! Quite a pity! And the regn. seems to be a MS (Madras) one. But since the plate is white, the car seems to have been in use til recently.

Any other pics. such as the interior etc. if possible??
Stanher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2013, 02:18   #4346
BHPian
 
Star man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Brisbane Qld.Australia
Posts: 107
Thanked: 18 Times
Default Re: Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Sorry didnt check out the engine in too much detail to spot the ID number! It could be a local make Diesel engine for that natter, as many of these old yank trucks (and even cars) in India were 'Dieselised' eventually due to difficulty with spares for the original engines as well as fuel mileage.
The dash I have seen is the same on other Chevy trucks of '40s Vintage though. Here's another 40s Chevy minibus with the same kind of dash from what I can make out:
Actually the pics are pretty good. my own phone has a higher resolution than my Canon Camera... i can see now about the dash,you are right. A lot of the early 40's Chevys and GMC 's I worked on were flat dash US military pattern trucks. I would swap in a diesel too as the early Chevy six with it's splash fed big end bearings were not up to the rigors of hard work. Would I be right in thinking those 1940 Chev trucks were ex military units in India ?. The cut back front fenders certainly look like the type on most military pattern GM trucks.
Star man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2013, 02:22   #4347
BHPian
 
AbhishekB86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 330
Thanked: 359 Times
Default Re: Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Oh wow, an early Herald! Quite a pity! And the regn. seems to be a MS (Madras) one. But since the plate is white, the car seems to have been in use til recently.

Any other pics. such as the interior etc. if possible??
Yes sir, completely possible. Shall click interior pics and others angles for you tomorrow and post.
AbhishekB86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2013, 03:29   #4348
BHPian
 
josejoseph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Cochin
Posts: 635
Thanked: 318 Times
Default Re: Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhishekB86 View Post
This one has been parked outside my apartment complex for a really long time. The guard told me it belongs to one of the residents.


Attachment 1049880
Very sad too see the state of this car. And look, this car has those rare parking lamps .
josejoseph is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2013, 11:32   #4349
Senior - BHPian
 
speedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mumbai Meri Jaan
Posts: 6,197
Thanked: 919 Times
Default Re: Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhishekB86 View Post
This one has been parked outside my apartment complex for a really long time. The guard told me it belongs to one of the residents.


Attachment 1049880
Is there a possiblity of the owner being willing to part with this car..?
speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2013, 23:17   #4350
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Stanher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hyderabad, AP
Posts: 6,276
Thanked: 1,446 Times
Default Re: Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star man View Post
I would swap in a diesel too as the early Chevy six with it's splash fed big end bearings were not up to the rigors of hard work. Would I be right in thinking those 1940 Chev trucks were ex military units in India ?. The cut back front fenders certainly look like the type on most military pattern GM trucks.
Yes these trucks would certainly be ex-US military from WW2 as were many LHD WW2 Ford/Willys Jeeps that were left behind in India after the war ended.

Anyways, here's another pic. of the truck that I missed out earlier! The other side of the engine block can be seen here, hope it looks clear enough!

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-20130205-14.35.15.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by josejoseph View Post
Very sad too see the state of this car. And look, this car has those rare parking lamps .
Indeed those are (remnants of) the early parking lamps. 'hope it still has the original dash intact too. Also I can figure out the number as MSW.

Incidentally karl (karlosdeville)'s grandfather had a '62 Herald that was MSW 7662.
Stanher is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India X-Machine Vintage Cars & Classics in India 2694 26th May 2017 19:17
Report & Pics: The 50th Statesman Vintage & Classic Car Rally karlosdeville Vintage Cars & Classics in India 11 22nd March 2016 08:00
Fuel-tank Rust Removal (by Electrolysis) & Rust Proofing H3LIOS Motorbikes 30 19th May 2014 14:26
Jeep Rusting and disintegrating: drmessiah 4x4 Vehicles 21 22nd June 2011 21:15
Rust Control for Classic cars?? wilkie366 Vintage Cars & Classics in India 13 31st December 2010 15:31


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 22:35.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks