Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Old 23rd March 2013, 10:20   #4381
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars

I presume, most of us know this car & the location but I ask WHY, just WHY???
Few meters ahead and on opposite side there is another beauty lying in covered shed:
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-dscf0317.jpg
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-dscf0318.jpg
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-dscf0319.jpg

Raab rakha.
ariesonu is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2013, 12:43   #4382
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesonu View Post
I presume, most of us know this car & the location but I ask WHY, just WHY???
Few meters ahead and on opposite side there is another beauty lying in covered shed:.............. Raab rakha.
The "WHY" maybe because of the engine, have you ever heard this car run? I have. There is another run down Shadow in much worse condition, that was rescued by our Kasli and he has a big job on his hands, whenever he puts his mind to it

Cheers harit
harit is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2013, 02:31   #4383
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post

The "WHY" maybe because of the engine, have you ever heard this car run? I have. There is another run down Shadow in much worse condition, that was rescued by our Kasli and he has a big job on his hands, whenever he puts his mind to it

Cheers harit
Engine problem ? These cars are known to have long lives. Is it because of low octane fuel ? Older cars, I mean 40s,50s ran fine on lo octane. Even later , imported cars were happy to run 87 octane except some high compression engines that required premium. Not all large cars with big V 8 needed high test but if they did and you used regular gas available then ( even lower then 87 aki in most cases) meant early demise of the engine. Some relief to engine knocking was possible by adjusting the timing resulting in loss of performance. Only recently with fuel injection and ECM , one can use low octane fuel but only in emergency and for short period. Continued use of low octane gas in a high compression engine will result in serious damage. I can attest to this having seen valve damage to a 1958 Edsel with V8 400 cubic inch motor having a compression ratio of 10.5 : 1 . The gasoline available in early 60s. Was not even 87 aki ( this is the standard regular unleaded now) .
priyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2013, 13:23   #4384
BHPian

If the Gold Roller was sold new in India,there is every chance it has a very low compression engine designed to run on petrol ,one grade above kerosene. .The engines were based on the Chrysler RB engine according to one of the original engineers who figured them out. It probably just got to the point where regular maintenance costs were too high. The brake system alone is enough to give a mechanic grey hairs and if it has the citroen derived rear suspension, that will test the skills of even the best mechanic.
Star man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2013, 14:35   #4385
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star man View Post
If the Gold Roller was sold new in India,there is every chance it has a very low compression engine designed to run on petrol ,one grade above kerosene. .
Rollers most certainly werent sold through a dealership here but personally imported. So this one by all means would have been too.
Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2013, 14:42   #4386
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Rollers most certainly werent sold through a dealership here but personally imported. So this one by all means would have been too.
Of Course, but until recently you ordered your New Rolls through the company or it's intermediaries and if the stated delivery was for india or some African Country the engine specs would be altered to suit the available fuel . Mercedes did this with the W100 600 and the W109 6.3 ,offering a 7.8-1 engine instead of the 9.5-1 engine sold in Germany and the UK. A search of the Rollers delivery information held in the Uk would show which engine it has. iF it was privately imported from,Say, the Uk ,it would have an engine unsuited to low octane fuels .
Star man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2013, 14:50   #4387
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star man View Post
Of Course, but until recently you ordered your New Rolls through the company or it's intermediaries and if the stated delivery was for india or some African Country the engine specs would be altered to suit the available fuel .
Sorry if I wasnt clear, when I said personal import, I mentioned it in context of people from India who would've lived overseas (called NRIs or Non-Resident Indians) say in the UK, and bought a car for their personal use within the UK only, in which case they would've just taken something that had an engine etc. designed for the UK and not overseas. However, on their return to India, they would've preferred to bring their car alongwith them as it was, without bothering about the suitability to the available fuel etc. as they most likely wouldnt have been aware of these things. Only to eventually face problems in India at a later stage in most cases. Most of the 'personal imports' in India came in this way (or through foreign embassies/consulates) as at one point of time importing a car had a lot of red tape bottlenecks so few people preferred to do so.
Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2013, 21:27   #4388
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Most of the 'personal imports' in India came in this way (or through foreign embassies/consulates) as at one point of time importing a car had a lot of red tape bottlenecks so few people preferred to do so.
I think it was easier earlier. There is more red tape, duty and useless regulations nowadays with regards to importing a vehicle into India.
kevinephraim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2013, 10:58   #4389
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India

I have been spotting this next to my society for some time.
I was under the impression that someone was making an effort, but now not so much.
Car rescue, someone?
Attached Thumbnails
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-1.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-2.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-3.jpg  

mayankk is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2013, 11:11   #4390
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
I have been spotting this next to my society for some time. I was under the impression that someone was making an effort, but now not so much. Car rescue, someone?
Could you pm me the location/contact details please? I'd like to swing by, judge it in person and take a call. Thanks.
Prabal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2013, 11:18   #4391
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I was under the impression that someone was making an effort, but now not so much.
Car rescue, someone?
Wow, be prepared for a lot of PMs

It is a '59 Chevy Impala, one of the most iconic years. The car does look very complete, and some unforseen circumstances would allow it to lie like this on the road. Good luck to whoever can get it, if they can at all.

PS - if it were my car I would love to restore it only mechanically and use it as is - at least for a while. That finish looks gorgeous!

Last edited by karlosdeville : 29th March 2013 at 11:20.
karlosdeville is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2013, 11:33   #4392
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Wow, be prepared for a lot of PMs

It is a '59 Chevy Impala, one of the most iconic years. The car does look very complete, and some unforseen circumstances would allow it to lie like this on the road. Good luck to whoever can get it, if they can at all.

PS - if it were my car I would love to restore it only mechanically and use it as is - at least for a while. That finish looks gorgeous!

No issues there.
This is the exact location of the car, the circle in red, to about 100 metres.

Do let me know in case anybody comes around. I would love to see what happens when chasing classics.....
Attached Thumbnails
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-map.png  

mayankk is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2013, 19:14   #4393
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Seeing the front suspension sitting down, I wonder if it has a heavy diesel engine under the hood?

Cheers

KPS
KPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2013, 19:18   #4394
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post

Seeing the front suspension sitting down, I wonder if it has a heavy diesel engine under the hood?

Cheers

KPS
Ill get you guys better pictures over the weekend ,maybe some background too.
Its just sitting there, abandoned looking. Like another impala that was abandoned in southex for almost 10 years last I saw.
mayankk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2013, 23:11   #4395
BHPian

Quote:
Car rescue, someone?
This car is not for sale. This belongs to a member of our Club . Restoration likely to start shortly.
S.B.Jatti is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote