Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Old 8th June 2008, 12:10   #1306
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

There used to be an old Hillman buried 2 feet in the ground somewhere close to Vile Parle station (East). This was around 8-10 years back. Not sure if its still there.
v12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2008, 13:29   #1307
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
There used to be an old Hillman buried 2 feet in the ground somewhere close to Vile Parle station (East). This was around 8-10 years back. Not sure if its still there.
@v12, Saying "used to be" with neither picture nor description is not helpful, is it?
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2008, 15:32   #1308
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Karlos,

You are bang on target.

This pic i feel should straight go to Karls Rust in pieces.

Sid, Great pics on the car, i was supposed to have carried my camera there this monday for some pics.You beat me there. Good.
Sorry about the but with more pics. being shown of the house, I cant help my cuirosity- do you know for the last how many years the house has been lying vacant, pavan? And what happened of the last surviving owner?
Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2008, 15:49   #1309
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

You're right Ram. I used to see the car under covers when I used to go for my classes there. Will find out if it still exists or no.
v12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2008, 17:04   #1310
Senior - BHPian

Hey a two door Dorset is quite a rarity isn't it ?
By the way what's that light mounted high on the left of the car ?!?
SuperSelect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2008, 20:06   #1311
Senior - BHPian

is this car in bangalore, its a beautiful house, I hope someone saves the house.
the mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2008, 20:53   #1312
BHPian

Default For a reason...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
surprisingly! the number plate light is still new!
Looks like a vandal has tried to wrench off the housing for the license plate light, but only succeeded in giving it a well-deserved polishing!
Sidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2008, 20:57   #1313
BHPian

Default Check the links...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Sorry about the but with more pics. being shown of the house, I cant help my cuirosity- do you know for the last how many years the house has been lying vacant, pavan? And what happened of the last surviving owner?
Stanher, see the links I had posted...it will tell you about the Vaz sisters who last occupied the place.
Sidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2008, 21:14   #1314
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
Hey a two door Dorset is quite a rarity isn't it ?
If I remember right Kiran had posted a similar car in much worse condition earlier.

That light is whats reffered to as a "Shikaar light", as back in the day it was glamorously used by maharajas for hunting. Essentially, it is just a spot light who's direction can be controlled from inside the car.
karlosdeville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2008, 21:57   #1315
Senior - BHPian

Wow man, "shikar light" !! Sounds awesome ! Trying to imagine how it would look on my white swift !

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
is this car in bangalore, its a beautiful house, I hope someone saves the house.
I agree with you Amol - from one architect to another ! Why is it that we guys get senti about stuff others may plain ignore ???

Last edited by Rehaan : 9th June 2008 at 12:37. Reason: merged.
SuperSelect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2008, 22:04   #1316
Team-BHP Support

You remember right Karl. The pics are on this thread itself and the car sits next to a Ford Prefect.
moralfibre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2008, 22:10   #1317
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
If I remember right Kiran had posted a similar car in much worse condition earlier.

That light is whats reffered to as a "Shikaar light", as back in the day it was glamorously used by maharajas for hunting. Essentially, it is just a spot light who's direction can be controlled from inside the car.
Due to its placement it is indeed the Shikaar light. American cars had this in police specials. They still did tilla few years ago. They were spot lamps. Old dodges and Chevys of the late 40s and upto 60s had it too. I have one for my dart.
Coming to the Dorset, a great find Ram. Very rare indeed but not very desirable as a collector's piece.
A Dorset would essentially mean it is a coupe and a Devon a sedan, right Ram?
If this car is for sale I would like to restore it to its original glory.
I remember the pics Kiran posted with a prefect next to it. That car was junk.
V-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2008, 22:42   #1318
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
This is a searchlight. It is an American invention.

It is a powerful light often much more powerful than a headlamp, which can be swiveled about the pitch and yaw axes, by pulling and twisting the handle inside the car.

Why would one want to do that?
Wayside painted signs on unlit U.S. rural roads, such as name of a farm, or directions to the farm house, etc. would be hard to see in the light from the headlamps at night.

Besides the car's headlamp beams cannot be steered without steering the car itself.

You can see the remote-controlled searchlight mounted as standard equipment on U.S. police cars of the 1940s and 1950s, ostensibly to pick out criminals in the darkness.

Back here in India
In the lawless old days in India when wild-life conservation was unknown, hunters(British) and shikaris(Desi) would use the searchlight, mounted on their Jeeps and roadsters to seek and dazzle wild animals at night, so that they could be shot dead with a high-powered rifle from the safety of their vehicle, whilst cruelly blinded by a bright beam in the darkness.

Thence, it became fashionable to sport searchlights and wild-game baskets on Jeeps and convertibles (why any car), to give the owner the aura of a hunting outdoorsman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
A Dorset would essentially mean it is a coupe and a Devon a sedan, right Ram?
If this car is for sale I would like to restore it to its original glory.
Yes Gogi, by definition, it would be a coupe. But the British mfr. Austin of England, in their brochures called it a two-door saloon.

Let me find the owner and ask about its "for sale" status.

Last edited by Rehaan : 9th June 2008 at 10:25. Reason: Merged.
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2008, 22:44   #1319
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidman View Post
Have posted a few more photos of the 57 Chevy Two-Ten in Bangalore: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...tml#post858021 (Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars).

Onto the real topic: from far, we thought the car was a Standard 10, on closer inspection, it turned out to be a Hillman. Managed to click a few photos. Anyone care to identify it more precisely?
This Hillman still has a lot to offer. Look at those front parking lights and the trafficator (singular 'coz can't see on the left side). The grille, monogramme. dashboard (knobs, et all), in fact given the over all look of her despite the pillage (more from the flying debries I suppose), I'm certain she'd be quite complete under the hood too. The broken glasses not withstanding, wouldn't be very difficult to put back on road even as a resto project - just conjecturing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
I suppose this is the same location? Came across it on a flickr album.
Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
Achingly beautiful house isn't it? And a sad picture - of the estate and machine - in this condition, together and apart. A sad annotation in the accounts of the glorious yesteryears. Hope those who lived here are in happy tidings though.
Prabal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2008, 23:39   #1320
Senior - BHPian

Default Land Rover Series III in dire state

Land Rover Series III in dire state...
I enquired that the owner, dad died, and sons hardly care about. I have offered to buy it today. lets keep our finger crossed.
Attached Images

Last edited by SirAlec : 8th June 2008 at 23:45.
SirAlec is offline   Reply With Quote