Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2008, 12:07   #1411
Senior - BHPian
 
KSM-Vtec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: MH-02-India-Bombay-Bandra
Posts: 1,563
Thanked: 437 Times
Default

May be i have not been able to explain correctly. I want to make a car which is reasonably powerful not very powerful. As far as the technical issues are concerned i guess then the choice will be limited to those cars(front wheel drive etc.) which can take the modern engines. I do not intend to rip the road with this car but i surly want to use it like an efficient car for a sat sun drive within mumbai. I know i might have to change the suspension, gear box, engine etc. and it can cost me a lot.

Do you think it is impossible?? How much do you estimate the cost to be?
Are there any cars you think will fit my requirement?? Also i dont want to have something as recent as the Fiat 1100. I would lvu to have a car like the Morris or the Austin Princess.(am i beeing over ambitious??)
I am sorry for my technical ignorance plz dont understand me wrong.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
KSM, I got your PM. I would recomend you not do that as firstly it will be a huge angineering nightmare and secondly the cost will be really high. Also remember that it is not easy to just fit an engine into a car which the engine is not supposed to fit in. Also remember that most of these old cars are not structurally viable enough to have these engines in them. Also remember, Most vintage or clasics are Rear Wheel Drive and the engines you are talking about is a front wheel drive spec. If you want speed and power, Plonk in a gypsy engine in a Fiat 1100. At least that can be done. And it has been done.
KSM-Vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2008, 12:17   #1412
Senior - BHPian
 
KSM-Vtec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: MH-02-India-Bombay-Bandra
Posts: 1,563
Thanked: 437 Times
Default

Karl - Your views on this??

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec View Post
May be i have not been able to explain correctly. I want to make a car which is reasonably powerful not very powerful. As far as the technical issues are concerned i guess then the choice will be limited to those cars(front wheel drive etc.) which can take the modern engines. I do not intend to rip the road with this car but i surly want to use it like an efficient car for a sat sun drive within mumbai. I know i might have to change the suspension, gear box, engine etc. and it can cost me a lot.

Do you think it is impossible?? How much do you estimate the cost to be?
Are there any cars you think will fit my requirement?? Also i dont want to have something as recent as the Fiat 1100. I would lvu to have a car like the Morris or the Austin Princess.(am i beeing over ambitious??)
I am sorry for my technical ignorance plz dont understand me wrong.
KSM-Vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2008, 12:17   #1413
Distinguished - BHPian
 
JayD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Cochin! At last
Posts: 3,195
Thanked: 1,993 Times
Default

A nice and complete morris8 tourer rotting away.... Sad!
Attached Thumbnails
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-020720081412.jpg  

JayD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2008, 12:51   #1414
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: IXE
Posts: 575
Thanked: 77 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
A nice and complete morris8 tourer rotting away.... Sad!
Where is it JayD ?

Regards
girishpv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2008, 14:51   #1415
BHPian
 
vintagepoint5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Jeddah/Hyd
Posts: 411
Thanked: 40 Times
Default

Hi JayD, is it for sale and how is engine everything in place.

Regards,
vintagepoint5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2008, 15:31   #1416
BHPian
 
vintagepoint5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Jeddah/Hyd
Posts: 411
Thanked: 40 Times
Default

Hi KSM-Vtec, making custom made cars, a very nice replicas were made
in USA, Europe of famous cars. But it is not easy task it requires lot of time and finance, both of them were difficult in today's busy life for us.

I have seen long time back in Hyd in 80's, they made car from the chassis of Herald and made a body of their choice and design. But more interesting thing I have seen the Clenet cars made in USA by ex-employee of car company, who knows and work for many years in assembly line,
but he was creative and made his own custom made cars, so you can also
try if you have free time and resources to experiment with minimal expenditure but study all the technical stuff before you start anything.
I also love to make custom design open tourer car of famous cars, from the outside it look old vintage cars but inside you can have power steering, comforable gadgets, fuel efficient engine, smooth transmission, lovely design interiors, but for myself I did not have enough time, but sure will try some day.

Wish you all the best.

Regards,
vintagepoint5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2008, 15:37   #1417
Senior - BHPian
 
KSM-Vtec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: MH-02-India-Bombay-Bandra
Posts: 1,563
Thanked: 437 Times
Default

Thanks for the inputs!!

I know if going to be difficult. But do you think it will be impossible to make one in a limited budget?
At one point of time i was also thinking abt the idea of actually construsting the body like a replica of come vintage car. What do u think abt this idea??



Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagepoint5 View Post
Hi KSM-Vtec, making custom made cars, a very nice replicas were made
in USA, Europe of famous cars. But it is not easy task it requires lot of time and finance, both of them were difficult in today's busy life for us.

.....

Wish you all the best.

Regards,
KSM-Vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2008, 17:15   #1418
BHPian
 
vintagepoint5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Jeddah/Hyd
Posts: 411
Thanked: 40 Times
Default

Hi KSM-V-tech, it is possible, just workout what replica size you want to start, preferably start with small car size so that your expenses will be
less. Study the chassis of cars you can get easily and cheaper and suitable to fit vintage car design body over it. Also study the engines available in market compare the power and prices, suitablity to fit on chassis. As I think you know most of the vintage cars were driven by
rear wheel, so think of engine suitable to this type of chassis. I observe car mechanics work by their experience, so why not we can make creative designed car, you can take technical help from mechanics, electrician,
welders to put your design together. So it is possible you need to study,
and work it if you find workable.

I have seen on TV one mechanic got used Toyota engine from auction and chassis of some 70's Japanese car and completely design body over it and shaped like Ferrari sports car and when color, every complete it looks awesome nobody can believe it is made by individual.

Good luck!
vintagepoint5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2008, 17:31   #1419
Senior - BHPian
 
KSM-Vtec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: MH-02-India-Bombay-Bandra
Posts: 1,563
Thanked: 437 Times
Default

I think you are talking abt the prog. on travel n living. where a guy called leepu from bangladesh allong with a firang does that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagepoint5 View Post
I have seen on TV one mechanic got used Toyota engine from auction and chassis of some 70's Japanese car and completely design body over it and shaped like Ferrari sports car and when color, every complete it looks awesome nobody can believe it is made by individual.

Good luck!
KSM-Vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2008, 00:11   #1420
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 57
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR-V View Post
, you found a morris 8 there only and didn't call me.
Are you very keen on a Morris 8. It is not a very exotic car and not much of a performance. The horsepower is low for the heavy body - but body is strong. Besides the tyre size is 450X17 which is now impossible to get. I have my grandfather's Morris 8. The doors still close with a solid click. I am using tyres which I had accidentally purchased in 1979. There are many cars in Chennai. But mechanics don't like to work on it - it is a back breaking job to adjust the valves - you have to remove the left front wheel and take off the side panel to get access. It doesn't have a water pump and so heats up. Front suspension is an I beam - but quite soft if you do not stiffen the front springs as most mechanics do. But the seats are comfortable and cosy. Many people altered the lights - to be jutting out and then fix normal headlight beams. Abroad there was a conversion kit which you could screw on. The orginal lights were awful - you couldn't see a thing. Original electrical is 6 volts. The main reason the car can be driven in today's traffic is the hydraulic brakes which the Prefect and Standard 8 and perhaps the Austin also did not have. Mohaan
mohaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2008, 01:06   #1421
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Stanher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hyderabad, AP
Posts: 6,310
Thanked: 1,507 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohaan View Post
The main reason the car can be driven in today's traffic is the hydraulic brakes which the Prefect and Standard 8 and perhaps the Austin also did not have. Mohaan
To my knowledge, the Standard 8/10 had hydraulic clutch as well as brakes (which carried forward on the Herald) and so did the Austin.
Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2008, 01:21   #1422
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: London
Posts: 5,012
Thanked: 147 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagepoint5 View Post
I have seen on TV one mechanic got used Toyota engine from auction and chassis of some 70's Japanese car and completely design body over it and shaped like Ferrari sports car and when color, every complete it looks awesome nobody can believe it is made by individual.

Good luck!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec View Post
I think you are talking abt the prog. on travel n living. where a guy called leepu from bangladesh allong with a firang does that.
And do you also remember how mechanically screwed up that car was? To someone who knows the basic mechanics of a car, that was a pile of rubbish. Beautiful.well not really..But RUBBISH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohaan View Post
Are you very keen on a Morris 8.
CRV mentioned " You saw a Morris 8 and didnt call me" because he was with me at the time I took those pictures but i coudnt tell him as it was raining really heavily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
To my knowledge, the Standard 8/10 had hydraulic clutch as well as brakes (which carried forward on the Herald) and so did the Austin.
I think you are right. The Penant,10,super10 did have Hyd Brakes and Clutch.
Cyrus43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2008, 09:29   #1423
Senior - BHPian
 
ph03n!x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Madras
Posts: 1,706
Thanked: 114 Times
Default

I browsed through 6 pages of this thread - and I'm sad enough to skip the rest! Can't take it anymore...
ph03n!x is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2008, 10:36   #1424
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: IXE
Posts: 575
Thanked: 77 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
I browsed through 6 pages of this thread - and I'm sad enough to skip the rest! Can't take it anymore...
Dear,

Don't be sad, please go through all, there may be something close to you that you could save


Regards
girishpv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2008, 18:57   #1425
BHPian
 
vinzrox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Hyd-Blr
Posts: 109
Thanked: 12 Times
Default

I dont know exactly but i guess these pieces of vehicles are Willys Jeep Station Wagon and a Fiat 1100... they are present in oxford school ground, hyderabad.
Attached Thumbnails
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-dsc01221.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-dsc01222.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-dsc01225.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-dsc01224.jpg  

vinzrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fuel-tank Rust Removal (by Electrolysis) & Rust Proofing H3LIOS Motorbikes 30 19th May 2014 14:26
Jeep Rusting and disintegrating: drmessiah 4x4 Vehicles 21 22nd June 2011 21:15
Rust Control for Classic cars?? wilkie366 Vintage Cars & Classics in India 13 31st December 2010 15:31
A tribute to a Vintage Man : similar to a vintage car or vintage wine StarVegabond Shifting gears 3 12th October 2009 14:49


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 04:12.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks