Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Old 22nd March 2015, 15:55   #16
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: 4th Cartier 'Travel With Style' Concours d'Elegance - 14th March 2015 at New Delhi

And in conclusion, some misc sights, sounds and ramblings.

Attention to detail was not lacking on most entries. The bar of restoration has certainly been raised in recent times
Report & Pics: 2015 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Delhi-bmw.jpg

Nope, they aren't allowing Beetles just yet but this was spotted outside
Report & Pics: 2015 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Delhi-bug.jpg

Even the golf carts running around the grounds had the vintage theme
Report & Pics: 2015 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Delhi-buggies.jpg

How I wish I could place these in my car...
Report & Pics: 2015 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Delhi-fiat.jpg

Rarest of the rare - and ironically Made in England!
Report & Pics: 2015 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Delhi-hindustan.jpg

Detail on the Jag XK 140
Report & Pics: 2015 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Delhi-jag.jpg

Prince Michael of Kent on a joyride
Report & Pics: 2015 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Delhi-kent.jpg

Our friend has covered literally the length of our country astride his little Jawa and lived to tell the tale. Disappointingly, he had the bike transported to Delhi for the show
Report & Pics: 2015 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Delhi-naidu.jpg

Trust our friend Pawan to find a Bug even on the lawns of Cartier...
Report & Pics: 2015 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Delhi-pawan.jpg

Great to see more and more importance to displaying period plates (even if some were replica, and some even never existed)
Report & Pics: 2015 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Delhi-plate01.jpg
Report & Pics: 2015 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Delhi-plate02.jpg
Report & Pics: 2015 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Delhi-plate03.jpg
Report & Pics: 2015 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Delhi-plate05.jpg
Report & Pics: 2015 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Delhi-plate06.jpg

They lucked out with this car being a Fiat. What if it were a Chevrolet?
Report & Pics: 2015 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Delhi-plate04.jpg

Everyone needs a helping hand now and then, and thankfully there were no shortage of helpers
Report & Pics: 2015 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Delhi-push.jpg

Report & Pics: 2015 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Delhi-spare.jpg

Report & Pics: 2015 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Delhi-stutz.jpg

When was the last time you saw a genuine double sided whitewall?
Report & Pics: 2015 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Delhi-whitewall.jpg

So when all is said and done, I certainly look forward to the next event in two years. More motivation for people to restore their cars, improve their standards, expand their collection - but most importantly get together from all corners of the country and have a good time - isn't that what its all about? Happy motoring.

Last edited by karlosdeville : 22nd March 2015 at 16:00.
karlosdeville is offline   (19) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2015, 17:48   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: 4th Cartier 'Travel With Style' Concours d'Elegance - 14th March 2015 at New Delhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Class 10 - Indian Heritage

Attachment 1351938

My favourite and everyone else's least loved category

1948 Hindustan 10 Saloon
Most significant since it was the first car to be badged a Hindustan. And they certainly couldn't have looked this good when new!

1951 (1947/48?) Studebaker Champion
Probably the first lot of Studebakers assembled in India? Strangely this car was a LHD.
I thought the earliest Hindustans were spelt HindustHan? Or maybe,only the company did.

Don't know if the first Studebakers were LHD or RHD.....but here is a batch newer than "off the showroom floor". Cant see the steering for sure!

Report & Pics: 2015 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Delhi-studebakers-birla-1951-tbhp.jpg
travancore is offline   (8) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2015, 10:17   #18
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Excellent coverage Karl. Love that Rampur Bentley. The Lanchester looks so much nicer in this new guise. I had seen this car years ago when it was still in ownership of the Jamsahib of Nawanagar (Jamnagar). Diljeet's Minerva is an imposing car by any standard, not too sure about that interior. Great to see such a lovely turnout of motorcycles. Does that British prince throw in a ride or drive spectacle for free? Last time he pottered around in a car.

Always a pleasure to see the likes of Gordon Murray and now Jean Todt grace the event. Sandra Button is an amazing lady and the main force behind Pebble Beach. I would have loved to see some video interviews of these people and their views on the cars that remain in India.

The Cartier event is a great show and full credit to Manvendra Singh for making it all happen. If only he can rise above the pettiness of politics and make it all transparent and truly competitive. I would then see it as a worthy contender of great events on any enthusiasts must attend calendar at least this side of the Atlantic.
DKG is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2015, 11:25   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
A lot of T Bhpians visited this event, surprised no one has bothered to comprehensively cover it.
My pics are up, sorry for the delay. Pawan has shared great pics too, and I am sure some more will follow.

Quote:
The Cartier event is a great show and full credit to Manvendra Singh for making it all happen. If only he can rise above the pettiness of politics and make it all transparent and truly competitive. I would then see it as a worthy contender of great events on any enthusiasts must attend calendar at least this side of the Atlantic.
For whatever it is worth, voting this time I was told was by secret ballot.
karlosdeville is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2015, 13:08   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Default 4th Cartier 'Travel With Style' Concours d'Elegance - 14th March 2015 at New ...

Quote:
Excellent coverage Karl. Love that Rampur Bentley. The Lanchester looks so much nicer in this new guise. I had seen this car years ago when it was still in ownership of the Jamsahib of Nawanagar (Jamnagar). Diljeet's Minerva is an imposing car by any standard, not too sure about that interior. Great to see such a lovely turnout of motorcycles. Does that British prince throw in a ride or drive spectacle for free? Last time he pottered around in a car.

Always a pleasure to see the likes of Gordon Murray and now Jean Todt grace the event. Sandra Button is an amazing lady and the main force behind Pebble Beach. I would have loved to see some video interviews of these people and their views on the cars that remain in India.

DKG - Navanagar is still with them I think you have made an error . Images of that car from the Forum

Cheers
Name:  ImageUploadedByTeamBHP1427096269.679172.jpg
Views: 872
Size:  136.6 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTeamBHP1427096280.183213.jpg
Views: 869
Size:  145.1 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTeamBHP1427096290.321167.jpg
Views: 859
Size:  139.2 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTeamBHP1427096302.610463.jpg
Views: 865
Size:  155.4 KB
kasli is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2015, 15:42   #21
BHPian

Thanks for the detailed pictures Karl.

"1921 Steyr Type 2. Owned by the family since new, this unique Austrian automobile has undergone a meticulous grounds up restoration last year."

Curious to know, if this has been with them since new, how is it registered to a late 1980s Mumbai registration? Unless it was transferred from somewhere.

The Fiats looked the merriest of the lot. Will be a joy to see them around in Mumbai.

Regarding the Red plates, are you saying they are made up to represent royal territories or freshly made plates?

I would never want to be the man in charge of polishing Jodhpur No. 27

With regards to Jodhpur No. 7, it would be great, in my opinion, to spruce up the interior a wee bit. Keep it as is on the exterior, it looks the reclusive siren of yesteryear, but a little care for the wood (not gleaming spit and polish), sort out the rips in the seats, make it look like a cared-for tidy appearance.

Definitely not looking like a tart that some over the top examples we see. No offence to the tarted up. They have their role in keeping the chrome industry going.

KPS: To my mind, if pre-1950s cars have been imported for show, and as of now cannot be driven on road, it's perfectly ok to enter them (and win), else the whole effort would be pointless.
Automaton is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2015, 15:49   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automaton View Post
Thanks for the detailed pictures Karl.

"1921 Steyr Type 2. Owned by the family since new, this unique Austrian automobile has undergone a meticulous grounds up restoration last year."

Curious to know, if this has been with them since new, how is it registered to a late 1980s Mumbai registration? Unless it was transferred from somewhere.
The car was brought to Bombay in the 70s or 80s from Hyderabad, where the family was/is based.

Quote:
Regarding the Red plates, are you saying they are made up to represent royal territories or freshly made plates?
Some authentic, came with the car. Some replica, but correct to a royal car. Some just plain added.

Quote:
KPS: To my mind, if pre-1950s cars have been imported for show, and as of now cannot be driven on road, it's perfectly ok to enter them (and win), else the whole effort would be pointless.
I think KPS's concern was about allowing imports and local cars to compete on the same platform (since facilities and infrastructure is arguably better abroad, and the idea of the show is to celebrate all that is Indian). Incidentally, both the imported entries were grounds up restored in India. Secondly the imported cars can be registered and driven on roads.
karlosdeville is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2015, 16:14   #23
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: 4th Cartier 'Travel With Style' Concours d'Elegance - 14th March 2015 at New ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post
DKG - Navanagar is still with them I think you have made an error . Images of that car from the Forum
Thanks for pointing out. I stand corrected. I had forgotten that car was a four door and incorrectly assumed it to be the same given its Gujarat number
DKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2015, 16:27   #24
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The car was brought to Bombay in the 70s or 80s from Hyderabad, where the family was/is based.
The family still has a large base in Hyderabad. They also have a wonderful Packard 120 phaeton, which was in great shape and originality. However the car is undergoing grounds up restoration in Hyderabad and should be an absolute stunner when she is finally makes a public appearance.

Quote:
I think KPS's concern was about allowing imports and local cars to compete on the same platform (since facilities and infrastructure is arguably better abroad, and the idea of the show is to celebrate all that is Indian). Incidentally, both the imported entries were grounds up restored in India. Secondly the imported cars can be registered and driven on roads.
The concern is that there is a huge pool of marquee cars available abroad, should one have the capacity to pay the price. Cars from India (other than special bodied Maharaja Cars) will not be able to compete with these imports. For example there was no competition for the V16 in that Class. I am suggesting that they should have a separate class for the imports.

Cheers

KPS
KPS is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2015, 17:00   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Default 4th Cartier 'Travel With Style' Concours d'Elegance - 14th March 2015 at New ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
The family still has a large base in Hyderabad. They also have a wonderful Packard 120 phaeton, which was in great shape and originality. However the car is undergoing grounds up restoration in Hyderabad and should be an absolute stunner when she is finally makes a public appearance.

The concern is that there is a huge pool of marquee cars available abroad, should one have the capacity to pay the price. Cars from India (other than special bodied Maharaja Cars) will not be able to compete with these imports. For example there was no competition for the V16 in that Class. I am suggesting that they should have a separate class for the imports.

Cheers

KPS

KPS - the Packard is really going to be a stunner . I think the same family but I cannot say for sure

Also the cars which came in thru the new import rule both were quite a basket case so complete credit to the owners and their dedication to authenticity

But do agree for a separate category for imports but still a doubt on this thought process and many won't agree on - what's the fun and suspense to a good event like this for Owners / Indian restorers and the cars surviving in India . Neutral platform is the best way

Cheers

Last edited by kasli : 23rd March 2015 at 17:13.
kasli is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2015, 17:03   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post

Cheers

KPS
Well they are all imports, whether in 1912 or last year.

Your point would be valid, to an extent, if a fully restored, Pebble Beach winner entry/winner comes here and starts sweeping the awards.

For those rueing the cars that have left the shores, the reversal of this trend, reverse cylinder drain, so to speak is most welcome.

Karl -

So which red plates are manufactured royalty?

Last edited by Automaton : 23rd March 2015 at 17:05. Reason: Type a colon and so, and rolling smileys appear where none were intended.
Automaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2015, 11:01   #27
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Report & Pics: 2015 Cartier Concours d’Elegance, Delhi

Mod Note: Report moved out into a fresh thread!
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2015, 11:22   #28
BHPian

Thank you everyone and especially Karl for the great reports and photos.

Wow, I never thought that so many varied marques and unique cars still survived in India. Which is why I find it surprising that some relatively 'common' cars were given trophies amidst a plethora of some really unique cars, judging from the photos.

No offense to the owners, but an MG TC in the roadster category? Really? It has a woodwork door top frame and polished petrol tank! And I see most of the trophies were won by 4 door cars. No matter how good a 4 door car is presented, in most professional international events, a 2 door coupe or convertible, even if it falls a little short in standard, is given more weightage. Probably because in 90% of the cases, far fewer 2 door examples were made. Here, except for roadster class, I don't see any of the two door cars getting a trophy. Strange. Case in point is the Lanchester. Just by virtue of it being a 2 door it should have won a trophy, after all quality couldn't have been a factor since it won at Pebble Beach.

The Minerva's art deco interiors look jarring. Stately, handsome car, but it's no Voisin or Gangloff bodied Bugatti to feature such an interior and then go on to win. I have more to say about some of the other winners too but I wasn't there at the event & never saw the cars in the flesh so I'll restrain myself.

It seems that the yardstick for inviting the cars is now being relaxed; for such an exclusive event, a lot of cars present shouldn't have been invited in the first place.

I may be inviting harsh criticism for penning my thoughts, but when 'ordinary' participants themselves feel let down, I know I'm correct when I'm pointing out these things.

Have to say though, Cartier at least does a great job of getting out a wide spectrum of cars which in normal circumstances would be seen by just a few and in some cases not survived at all.
mbz180 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2015, 19:40   #29
Senior - BHPian

Thanks karl for posting pictures with captions, this is a really nice thread. Every thing aside. I really feel the quality of restoration has improved multifold. There are many specialized restorers who leave no stone unturned. I like Amals way of restoration, the battery caps, the upholstry and like. What an awesome way of resotration. Hats off to these guys.

And then those bunch of Fiats and the Indian heritage class, all looking so damn awesome. I love the two millicentos. The unrestored example is simply wow.

to the owners of cars.
manishalive is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2015, 11:30   #30
BHPian

Quote:
My pics are up, sorry for the delay. Pawan has shared great pics too, and I am sure some more will follow.

For whatever it is worth, voting this time I was told was by secret ballot.
Karl,

At least one person involved in the judgeing made it a point to come up to me and expressed disgust

If you believe what you were told, I guess you still believe in Santa Claus

However the show is over, good cars seen, old friendships renewed, new friends made, lots of fun over the weekend, what more can one want??
Bulldogji is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote