Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Old 5th October 2015, 12:25   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Mercedes: From a W123 300D to the W126 280S

All the best, Taazman.

I think you should go ahead with the import if the clearing agent is trustworthy. It seems "used spares" are not allowed for import. The seller should rename the item accordingly.
Ravindra M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2015, 12:32   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazmaan View Post
The update is not so good.

The symptoms are still the same. The cylinder no 2 still taken on water.

The following things were done.

1. To remove all possibilities we even rebuilt the engine block. The over sized pistons were corrected to original size with correct cylinder sleeve.
2. After rebuilding, the engine is still taking water in cylinder no 2 and water is thrown out from exhaust.

After investing so much time and money I am a little discouraged and lost at what to do.
Why do you want to scrap the car
Look around, you may find a Donor car for parts around you.
Worst case scenario, plonk in full engine from a donor car, like may a diesel one from 124 E250D.
I know of a 126 that went through this transplant.
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2015, 16:15   #18
BHPian

I have bought a Brand new head here in Mumbai itself. Found it Via a Custom Agent who was supposed to clear the cylinder head I was going to buy from Germany. He gave me a contact and he had a last piece of Old New Stock. The head is old but its unused.

Got new Exhaust valves and valve seals and the head is currently in Pune to get it prepared for installation. I don't have any Pictures yet since I managed to hurt my leg and can't travel much.

I hope to have some more updates by next week.

The important question how much did it cost me? Its just more than a lac of rupees (Hundred Thousand Rupees) along with the original Gasket. That send my budget for a toss, I only hope that this works and its worth it!
tazmaan is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2015, 16:55   #19
BHPian

Wow ! This is a good news. 1L for the head in hands is worth !!
Hopefully now the progress will be faster.

Your custom agent is quite resourceful to find a right seller. This is a very rare item and you are quite lucky to have it now. Just curious to know who is this seller - does he own a shop for old parts ? which other items he stocks ? This info will be useful for all.
Ravindra M is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2015, 23:40   #20
BHPian

HI!
Wish you all the best in getting the engine sorted out. If you donít mind, a small question. As you already have an identical engine
Quote:
I was very close to swapping the W123 diesel engine with 280S petrol engine but sense prevailed and that engine went into a Tata Estate!
Why did you not consider swapping it into this car?

Regards,
Anwesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2015, 11:02   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravindra M View Post
Wow ! This is a good news. 1L for the head in hands is worth !!
Hopefully now the progress will be faster.

Just curious to know who is this seller - does he own a shop for old parts ? which other items he stocks ? This info will be useful for all.
Yes his name is Asim and he has a shop at Opera house. I cant recall the shop name since I collected the head from his home. He has ready m110 and m103 heads too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anwesh View Post
HI!
Wish you all the best in getting the engine sorted out. If you donít mind, a small question. As you already have an identical engine

Why did you not consider swapping it into this car?

Regards,
Because that's fuel injected and it would have required a lot of wiring, high pressure fuel lines etc. Also I don't want to lose the Estate after so much work.
tazmaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2015, 12:25   #22
BHPian

Received the head from pune.

The following things were done.

1. The fuel injector holes were plugged since mine is carburetor version.
2. All exhaust valves were replaced
3. 2 Intake valves were replaced
4. Vacuum was tested on all valves

My mechanic is very very busy and am not able to finish the work so wait goes on.

Pics of old and new head attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Mercedes: From a W123 300D to the W126 280S-img_7491.jpg  

Mercedes: From a W123 300D to the W126 280S-img_7492.jpg  

Mercedes: From a W123 300D to the W126 280S-img_7498.jpg  

Mercedes: From a W123 300D to the W126 280S-img_7496.jpg  

Mercedes: From a W123 300D to the W126 280S-img_7486.jpg  

tazmaan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2015, 11:11   #23
BHPian

The engine finally came back to life. And what a fine moment it was!

Engine was kept running for half n hour Yesterday and Sometime today morning. There is no water in any of the cylinders, no water in oil and no oil in radiator. We need to do the tappet setting again after some engine running.

The Carburetor has some issues with idle solenoid and the intake manifold has a vacuum leak. Both manifold and the Carb have been removed for repairs and setting. Once this is done I plan to change all water hoses and a lot of wires.

In the mean while enjoy first 10 seconds of engine coming back to life. The engine fires without any issue every time.

tazmaan is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2016, 12:47   #24
BHPian

Sorry for not updating this thread but I didn't have the heart to.

A lot of things happened since the engine was started on new head. The problem of water entering the cylinder was sorted but something was wrong. The car started emitting huge quantity of smoke after running the engine for an hour or so. My heart sank, it was dark by then so we decided to turn her off and leave it for next morning.

The turner who had done the work on the engine block visited next morning and the problem was diagnosed to 5th cylinder which was taking oil. The turner said the 5th piston has seized ( which I later understood as the piston rings being damaged on start up). All this meant that the engine will have to be rebuilt again.

By this time I had run out of patience and given up. I told the mechanic I want to sell the car. We started hunting for a buyer and the best offer I got was to scrap the car. I was getting 1,00,000/- INR which I was willing to take. I was frustrated is an understatement.

I let things be for a couple of weeks, discussed the same with my wife since rebuilding the engine again (opening the engine for the 6th time) involved money. My wife asked me to follow my heart and said never give up on hope.

"Never Give up" got etched in my mind and after thinking over it for a few more days I decided to give it one last try. But this time I made a few changes. I asked the mechanic to get the whole engine assembled at the turners place and we can get a crane to lower the engine. ( all this time the work was done at my residence).

It took the turner 10 odd days to finish the work, new cylinder sleeves were made, new piston rings, new head gasket and new valve seals were installed. I didn't visit the turner even once while the work was being done. I couldn't stop thinking about it but didn't have the courage to visit him either.

The engine was later brought to my residence in a truck and a make shift hoist was erected which was used to lower the engine. I didn't take any pictures don't ask me why!

It took the mechanic another week to work on all the electrical, carburetor and renew water lines. The previous owner had canceled all the water lines for the intake manifold which had a outlet near the 5th Cylinder. My own mind as an engineer felt that it is a very crucial outlet. It comes from far end of the engine (its a straight six) and I assumed since that outlet was canceled the 5th and 6th cylinder were not being cooled enough. I was adamant on getting all water lines being connected which took a lot of time .

The work was finally done and we fired her up. The engine started immediately, my ears were on the engine sound and eyes on the tail pipe for as long as I remember. We kept the engine running for an hour or so when it started getting dark. I asked the mechanic to turn the engine off and leave everything else for next day.

My mechanic got busy for few days and could not come to my house. I had a long phone call with him when he asked me to start the car. So one sunday morning I decided to start the car my self but the engine refused to start. The battery had died, we had not connected the belt for the alternator and power steering to minimize the load on the engine.

The next part involves sheer stupidity and more frustration for me.

I decided to remove the battery from the Accord and start the car. The battery from the accord is a lot different than the battery I was using (read inverted terminals). I plugged the battery with inverted terminals. I could hear a spark noise and that was it. My Sunday and a week to come was spoiled.

My mechanic visited a couple of days later and gave me a long stare. By doing a small mistake I had blown the ignition switch (module) and the alternator. All this when we thought that the work was done. I tried sourcing the ignition switch from almost all stores at opera house but no luck. I found a couple of them on eBay in USA but they were priced at 400 USD and would take a few weeks to get here. We did try a couple of workshops who could repair the switch but they didn't have anyone left (read from previous generation) who had the knowledge to work on it. This is a phase when I felt totally helpless.

One morning I decided to visit Chor bazzar at Mazjid bandar ( a place where used car parts a sold). I met my trusted vendor Farroq who had sold me a W126 engine for Tata estate some time back. If you see his shop, it looks like a room with a heap of all Mercedes parts dumped practically till my shoulder height. I showed him the sample and he asked for 15 minutes.

He started barrowing in the heap of scrap like a mouse and came out after a few minutes with a big smile on his face. It was the exact same part. He asked me to take the part and check if it working. He didn't take any money and asked me to call if it works.

The next day we tried the part and voila it was still working after begin dumped in the heap of scrap for God knows how long (I would not like to call it scrap but resources). The engine fired back to life. I called Farroqbhai and thanked him he said send INR 2000 over. By the way he was the one who had offered 1 lac for the car to be scrapped.

We kept the engine running for the whole day and I got the alternator repaired in the mean while. The next day being 14th Jan 2016 we installed all the belts did a small pooja and hit the road. The first stop was fuel station where we filled her up and got the tire pressure to 32 Psi from 18 Psi. Got the PUC done and drove for 10 odd kms.

I have been driving the car in the evenings for 15 odd kms every day since. I even used her for school drop on 15th and 16th Jan. Everything seems ok so far touch wood. There is still a lot of work pending which will need to be done. I will leave that for another post.

As of now I am enjoying the fact that the car is back on the road. There is a sense of happiness/achievement/relief which I cannot explain. It ends with a grin on my face every time I start the car and hit the road.

I apologize for not taking WIP pics frankly I was very disheartened to take any pics. I hope this is a start of new chapter and a new phase in my life.

To sum it up after 7 Months, 4 times opening the head, 2 times rebuilding the engine and 1 stupid mistake car is back on the road.

I have a couple of pics post work.

After fixing electrical fault.
Mercedes: From a W123 300D to the W126 280S-img_8151.jpg

After the first drive.
Mercedes: From a W123 300D to the W126 280S-img_8334.jpg
tazmaan is offline   (31) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2016, 19:42   #25
BHPian

Congrats man!! I know what the feeling is like so all the more reason to encourage you , great going and don't stop till this car is well and truly running like it should. After all if not in this life then in which, at the end it will all be worth it and you'll have a story to tell
howler is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2016, 21:49   #26
BHPian

Quote:
... The previous owner had canceled all the water lines for the intake manifold which had a outlet near the 5th Cylinder. My own mind as an engineer felt that it is a very crucial outlet. It comes from far end of the engine (its a straight six) and I assumed since that outlet was canceled the 5th and 6th cylinder were not being cooled enough. I was adamant on getting all water lines being connected which took a lot of time ....
@tazmann : very inspiring. I am sure all of your bad-luck is over now !!

Do you think all of the issues could have been the result of blocking of cooling passages at 5 cylinder ? what do you think was the root cause of all the misery ?
Ravindra M is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2016, 10:31   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravindra M View Post
@tazmann : very inspiring. I am sure all of your bad-luck is over now !!

Do you think all of the issues could have been the result of blocking of cooling passages at 5 cylinder ? what do you think was the root cause of all the misery ?
I am not really sure but the initial problem was the head. There was a lot of corrosion related damage which had rendered the head useless. We got to know about this after a couple of tries. The car must have been sitting for a long time with corossive water in the radiator.

Regarding the water lines, I am pretty sure they were there for a reason. After rebuilding the engine the initial few hours are very crucial and care should be taken to keep the engine temperature well within limits. As a matter of fact in my case we kept the return water pipe half open and kept pouring water in the radiator through a tap for 1st hour.

I have driven her all week for around 100 + kms last week. But yesterday the clutch oil started leaking through a pipe that connects to the slave cylinder on the gear box. While opening the slave cylinder the aged bolt broke !!

This now means I will have to lower the transmission rebore the hole, install the cylinder and put the transmission back. The replacement new pipe has been sourced by my mechanic and my battery operated hand drill should come handy.

Also the boot is locked and something is wrong with the locking mechanism. I have tried using WD40 over last 2 days but no success. Searching for a lock smith who can open the boot.

The engine is doing fine no over heating, no noises, easy to start, stable idle and linear acceleration.

After working on the engine, all the other problems now look so small and easy to fix!

Last edited by tazmaan : 18th January 2016 at 10:35.
tazmaan is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2016, 16:26   #28
BHPian

The work for the clutch is done and car is back on the road. A lot of things including the drive shaft and silencer had to be removed.

I can now safely say almost entire car has been taken apart atleast once.

Installed new Bridgestone tires as per the original size : 195-70-R14

The old pipe along with the new pipe and my Drill machine

Mercedes: From a W123 300D to the W126 280S-img_8360.jpg

The transmission

Mercedes: From a W123 300D to the W126 280S-img_8361.jpg
tazmaan is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2016, 13:33   #29
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

All well that ends well. I love such perseverance & you must thank your better half for that. She deserves as much respect as you to stick around & see the sweet result.
And then how could you think of SCRAPING the beauty. Don't you remember my offer on first page.
All said & done, enjoy her & keep us posted with her future antics (albeit good ones).

Regards-Sonu
ariesonu is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2016, 14:17   #30
BHPian

Name:  ImageUploadedByTeamBHP1453538655.022102.jpg
Views: 11406
Size:  389.2 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTeamBHP1453538680.188685.jpg
Views: 11380
Size:  422.7 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTeamBHP1453538704.055262.jpg
Views: 11321
Size:  381.3 KB

A few pics, planning a trip to pune with mechanic tomorrow early morning just to get the engine breathing again.
tazmaan is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote