Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Old 23rd January 2016, 16:34   #31
BHPian

Default Re: Mercedes: From a W123 300D to the W126 280S

@tazmann
This is something i have always dreamt of doing. Getting an old Merc and restoring it. Did not have time, when i had the wherewithall. And now, i have the time but not the wherewithall!
Congratulations. Well done.
earthian is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2016, 22:36   #32
BHPian

Hi Tazmaan,

Firstly, congratulations on getting the car to run after all she has put you through! Kudos on your persistence in getting there.

These German machines are built with a lot of care and thought from what little i understand. Any tolerance or deviation from manufacturer specification will lead to failure sooner or later.

I have been working on a w126 260se from over a year now, it has had a few issues, but getting close to finally running is what i speculate (crossed fingers). Mine is a 1987 6 cylinder petrol with the very troublesome CIS KE jetronic fuel injection.

Thank you for the detailed updates, enjoyed reading it immensely, do continue sharing, i will write about mine when it reaches some stage worth mentioning!

Regards,

Srinand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazmaan View Post
Sorry for not updating this thread but I didn't have the heart to.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 26th January 2016 at 18:05. Reason: Trimming quoted content = a large quoted post inconveniences mobile users. Thanks!
srinand is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2016, 11:15   #33
BHPian

@tazmann,

Congratulations on a fantastic ride! The ol' Merc is a dream for many of us. For someone to go through a lot of repairs, it is commendable that you persevered !! Hope you have many many joyous years with her .
model-t is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2016, 12:50   #34
BHPian

Well the nightmares you have faced with the W126 reminds me of the horrors I faced with the rebuild of my Yamaha RD 200. It really gets frustrating, when, after spending lot of time and money you don't get the desired results and like you, the idea of selling the bike crossed my mind many a time. But the feeling of accomplishment once the car is running is just surreal.

On the battery goof up, the incident reminded me of someone who had connected the wires to the wrong terminal on his R1, which fried all the electrical's. A very expensive learning
SnS_12 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2016, 17:53   #35
BHPian

Your patience and dedication is very inspiring. And its is a wonderful story indeed. When I had troubles with my Superb I got a used part sourced from on of these dealers, they are lifesavers for us enthusiasts!
quickdraw is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2016, 19:48   #36
BHPian

Great to hear the good news! Had been wondering about your car all this while. Can just not get the lovely colour out of my mind.

I am still struggling with my 1983 280se. After ordering a lot of parts from abroad, including a new crankshaft, i hope i am getting closer to get the engine running again. My mechanic says we are close to getting her fired up, but, you never know till they complete assembly and finally do so.
There are so many things that can go wrong in these old cars that it gets a little worrying at times. Not to mention that you are always at the mechanic's mercy.

Once i get it running, will need to check on the auto tranny and suspension before tackling the interiors and bodywork.
Will start a new thread with my experiences, as soon as i get somewhere with this project.

And Srinand, do ping me if you can, i am a newbie here, would love to compare notes with someone with a similar car in bangalore.
a_nan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2016, 13:20   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_nan View Post
Great to hear the good news! Had been wondering about your car all this while. Can just not get the lovely colour out of my mind.

There are so many things that can go wrong in these old cars that it gets a little worrying at times. Not to mention that you are always at the mechanic's mercy.
This one statement sums it all up. I am still having some timing issues with regards to delco setting. I also feel the Bosch spark plugs which I have used are not good for the engine, I will have to buy copper non-resistive spark plugs.

Also regarding the mechanics, yes were are at their mercy. I am planning to buy a full mechanics tool kit and do some work by myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnS_12 View Post
The idea of selling the bike crossed my mind many a time. But the feeling of accomplishment once the car is running is just surreal.

On the battery goof up, the incident reminded me of someone who had connected the wires to the wrong terminal on his R1, which fried all the electrical's. A very expensive learning
Yes it is a feeling I enjoy every time I take her for a spin. During my engineering days I used to listen to the title song of Lakshya movie (Hritik Roshan) before exams and now I feel like listening to the song when I drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinand View Post
Hi Tazmaan,

Firstly, congratulations on getting the car to run after all she has put you through! Kudos on your persistence in getting there.

These German machines are built with a lot of care and thought from what little i understand. Any tolerance or deviation from manufacturer specification will lead to failure sooner or later.

I have been working on a w126 260se from over a year now, it has had a few issues, but getting close to finally running is what i speculate (crossed fingers). Mine is a 1987 6 cylinder petrol with the very troublesome CIS KE jetronic fuel injection.

Thank you for the detailed updates, enjoyed reading it immensely, do continue sharing, i will write about mine when it reaches some stage worth mentioning!

Regards,

Srinand.
Thank you and I wish you get your car up and running soon. These W126's are endangered cars and we can try saving as many as possible.
tazmaan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2016, 12:58   #38
BHPian

Long due pictures of the car from all sides.

In the mean while I have replaced rubber hoses for power steering since they were cracked and I could see oil like a 'Sweat' on the the pipes. Changed them before they give up.

Enjoy the Pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Mercedes: From a W123 300D to the W126 280S-img_8498.jpg  

Mercedes: From a W123 300D to the W126 280S-img_8499.jpg  

Mercedes: From a W123 300D to the W126 280S-img_8500.jpg  

Mercedes: From a W123 300D to the W126 280S-img_8501.jpg  

Mercedes: From a W123 300D to the W126 280S-img_8502.jpg  

Mercedes: From a W123 300D to the W126 280S-img_8503.jpg  

Mercedes: From a W123 300D to the W126 280S-img_8504.jpg  

Mercedes: From a W123 300D to the W126 280S-img_8505.jpg  

tazmaan is offline   (9) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2016, 12:18   #39
BHPian

Update:

The car is driving fine no issues as of now. There were some oil leaks which needed to be plugged. There was some oil leaking from the chain tensioner bolt which was sealed using teflon tape and some oil leaking from the front of camshaft cap which was stopped by replacing the packing.

I have been driving around in the afternoon heat and the temperature stays around 80, but without Air condition I tend to over heat

The pick up of this heavy car is impressive and I have to be very careful while taking sharp turns in first gear (like 'U' turn). The rear of the vehicle is too eager to step out when the power is delivered. I have new Bridgestone tires with 195 section and I don't think I can afford to upgrade to broader tires.

I am planning to replace the engine oil this week along with oil filter and keep driving.
tazmaan is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2016, 18:19   #40
BHPian

Very neat car you've got @tazmaan. It looks solid. It's my dream to pick up one of these legends and keep it as Sunday car!
grkonweb is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2016, 15:18   #41
BHPian

She's coming out really well, tazmaan! Thumbs up for being persistent.

One of my favourite S Classes, the other one being the brick-like W140.

I own a 20 year old W124, so I know how hard (or easy, depending on which way you look at it) life can be to live with a klassiker der zukunft.

Do you plan on using the W126 as your daily drive?
coloneljasi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2016, 10:51   #42
BHPian

The Engine oil has been changed along with the oil filter and the Coolant has been topped up. I have also got the wiper motor rewound and wiper assembly serviced since it was stiff. The hunt for wiper arms and blades begins. The windscreen spray motors are working but the pipes connecting to the nozzle will need to be replaced.

I also plan to get the air condition installed which I have kept at my warehouse. I am not sure if it works, if not I will have to visit my trusted vendor at Masjid Bandar again.

One by one I am trying to fix small things post which I will move to the interiors where all the wood panel will need to be replaced and the head liner will need to be restored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloneljasi View Post
She's coming out really well, tazmaan! Thumbs up for being persistent.

One of my favourite S Classes, the other one being the brick-like W140.

I own a 20 year old W124, so I know how hard (or easy, depending on which way you look at it) life can be to live with a klassiker der zukunft.

Do you plan on using the W126 as your daily drive?
Thank you.

I use her for local runs every alternate day but with summer kicking in its difficult to be comfortable while driving without AC.
tazmaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2016, 11:02   #43
BHPian

On a lighter note:

Being summer I usually take the car for a spin post dinner for a drive around the block or sometimes carter road. I am joined by my 3 year old son who enjoys just being in any car.

Few days back I decided to go for a drive but the Mercedes was blocked behind a car in the parking lot so decided to take the Accord. My son after a few mins said Papa Vroom Vroom Karo! (The revving sound of the Mercedes). In comparison one can barely hear the Honda Accord engine inside the cabin.

My son is hooked onto the engine sound of the Mercedes and I agree with him the engine sound of the 6 cylinder and the mild exhaust grunt above 2000 Rpm is addictive.
tazmaan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2016, 15:09   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazmaan View Post
On a lighter note:

Being summer I usually take the car for a spin post dinner for a drive around the block or sometimes carter road. I am joined by my 3 year old son who enjoys just being in any car.

Few days back I decided to go for a drive but the Mercedes was blocked behind a car in the parking lot so decided to take the Accord. My son after a few mins said Papa Vroom Vroom Karo! (The revving sound of the Mercedes). In comparison one can barely hear the Honda Accord engine inside the cabin.

My son is hooked onto the engine sound of the Mercedes and I agree with him the engine sound of the 6 cylinder and the mild exhaust grunt above 2000 Rpm is addictive.
Apparently he has inherited a good taste in cars

She looks brilliant and stands at the very spot where I saw your W123.
BowMan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2016, 11:38   #45
BHPian

Update:

The car had been running fine and was being used as my daily ride to office. But last week I noticed a major oil leak. On further inspection I found out that one of the pins holding the timing chain guide has slipped out allowing oil to leak. Luckily there are 2 pins holding the timing chain guide and no damage has been done to the engine. I am hunting for the pin and its very difficult to do that without a sample.

I had bought 1 extra Pin but I am not able to find it. My mechanic is busy with Eid and the work should be done by next week.

This is what the Pin looks like.

Name:  Unknown.jpg
Views: 747
Size:  1.8 KB
tazmaan is offline   Reply With Quote