Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Old 21st September 2016, 14:11   #106
Default Re: '83 Mercedes 240D - My W123 Restoration Diary

Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Interesting torque convertor you found there!
I prefer the traditional ratchet type because a good one is very accurate for many years and this looks it could be a bit cumbersome working in confined spaces.

Good luck and enjoy your W123 as much as you can! Nice to see you fiddling with it as well as driving it.

Yes, well the reason I ordered this is they are claimed to be more accurate that click type torque ratchets and I could get this one to cover most of my torque range for about the same price as the 2 click types I would need to buy for that range. There are others that are not round and can perhaps fit in tighter spaces.

Originally Posted by Screwdriva View Post
Parts are still largely available and in stock and what cannot be sourced new (interior bits) can be found on Ebay or from breakers. Happy to help if I can!
Thanks. I really appreciate the help.

Originally Posted by benz220 View Post
One word of caution - use good seals and rubber. I have found that URO seals are not very good. These are the bits that will cause you headaches later - I learned the hard way.

Awesome job, congratulations!!
Hmmm. Now that I have them and I am getting these red herrings I will keep an eye on them. At the moment they fit okay but are a bit stiff.

Originally Posted by iceman1 View Post
Have you replaced the interior? The earlier pictures of the car showed that it came with fabric interior and the ones posted later show MBTex interiors? Please explain. Once again, I would like to congratulate you for owning one of the fine examples of W123's left in the country. Its also my personal favourite as my father had one when i was little and I hope to own one some day again.
The car came originally with velour interior which I believe was a more expensive option back then than MB Tex. Perhaps leather being the most expensive.

The driver side front seat interior had worn out and the previous owner had done a rather poor attempt at getting them covered with genuine leather.

I have replaced all seat covers with the best material I could find that appeared closest to MB Tex in terms of feel and quality. This narrative is there in my earlier posts.
BowMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2016, 13:56   #107
Default Re: '83 Mercedes 240D - My W123 Restoration Diary

Okay, now about some work I did on my car. She has been away for the clutch a few days and I miss doing small jobs on her. The idea is to slowly keep on bring her up.

One of the mental notes I had made a long time back was to bring back the true Mercedes feel when one operates the doors. Years of use and lack of care takes it's toll on even the strongest of designs and my doors sure needed lubrication at the hings.

The best tool for this is a push type grease gun with a needle or pointed end. The end displaces the ball at the greasing point and one has to pump grease till it comes out at the other end.

I did not have that particular grease gun and I could not find it available in any of the tool shops I inquired. I tried to make do with syringes but they do not develop the required pressure and one syringe even exploded on me when I was attempting this.

So I decided enough is enough and I will get the correct tool. I ordered from UK on Ebay and this is what it looks like.

'83 Mercedes 240D - My W123 Restoration Diary-img_3798.jpg

Here is the greasing point on a W123.

'83 Mercedes 240D - My W123 Restoration Diary-img_3799.jpg

'83 Mercedes 240D - My W123 Restoration Diary-img_3800.jpg

After one or two strokes and pressure builds and one might be inclined to think the job is done. But not yet.

Name:  IMG_3801.JPG
Views: 193
Size:  85.0 KB

Push a little more till you see grease oozing out like this from the other end of the hinge.

Name:  IMG_3802.JPG
Views: 189
Size:  89.9 KB

Sometimes this may not work as expected due to build up of rust within the hinge. One can try some penetrating oils and massage the hinge a couple of times by the door and then leave for a few days and try again.

I greased two of my doors and then massaged the hinges a hundred or so times each. Why two and not all four? Well, these things are best enjoyed when you have saved something for another day
BowMan is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote