Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2013, 11:58   #1831
Distinguished - BHPian
 
anjan_c2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: India
Posts: 5,498
Thanked: 4,558 Times
Default Re: Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso Corsa View Post
Talking of Cadillacs, what happened to the one owned by Shantaram family? Was/is lying in their studio, right? Any pictures so far?
Music Director O.P. Nayyar, the King of Rhythm also bought a Cadillac in the late 1950's. This was when he was charging a princely Rs 1.25 L per film. Sadly, he later shunned all his material belongings, disowned his family and led the life of a common man, as a paying guest with a family in Thane. He stayed there till he breathed his last on 28/01/2007.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 16th March 2013 at 12:00.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2013, 12:10   #1832
BHPian
 
Rosso Corsa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: BOM - ATL
Posts: 536
Thanked: 463 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post

Music Director O.P. Nayyar, the King of Rhythm also bought a Cadillac in the late 1950's. This was when he was charging a princely Rs 1.25 L per film. Sadly, he later shunned all his material belongings, disowned his family and led the life of a common man, as a paying guest with a family in Thane. He stayed there till he breathed his last on 28/01/2007.
What happened to the Caddy? Family sold it off?
Rosso Corsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2013, 01:31   #1833
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: St George, Utah, USA
Posts: 98
Thanked: 61 Times
Default Re: Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India

Quick comment; the 1935 Buick is a 1939 Buick. Love the pictures of Rileys, Sunbeams, and anything from England before 1960. I really enjoy this auto site. My renologist, Dr Budda and I talk about it each time I have an appointment. Cheers from the wild western US.
noonrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2013, 10:38   #1834
Distinguished - BHPian
 
harit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,946
Thanked: 2,688 Times
Default Re: Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by priyo View Post
Allow me to elaborate . Chrysler Corp. made two versions of Plymouth, Dodge and DeSoto in the postwar years. The three makes came with shorter fenders and were the entry level models and were marketed in India in a large number . Plymouth were even used as taxis just like Chevrolet and Ford. However, Dodge and DeSoto were also produced in a larger version with longer wheel base, choice of flat six or flat eight and almost identical to the Chrysler Windsor & New Yorker and were equipped with fluid drive transmissions. These larger Dodge and DeSoto cars were not assembled in india and were only imported as left hand drive. Of course, all models , both the smaller and the larger , shared sheet metal, engines, transmissions and general shapes. All had a common dimpled look on the trunk. Where each had a distinct personality was the dash board and the steering wheel .
Slightly wrong here, priyo. There were in all 4 body shells, the smallest being a Plymouth badged car, then a larger shell with DeSoto, Dodge and maybe Plymouth badging, not yet fluid drive, a still larger shell with Fluid Drive badges as Dodge, DeSoto and Chrysler, and then the 7-seater shell only seen as a Chrysler after 1947. None were left hand drive, and today I only know of one LHD Chrysler Fluid Drive in Bombay, probably an imported car. The imported LHD cars were the 1954 convertible Plymouth, Dodge and Desoto's, others came in CKD and were assembled.
When the shells were of the same size, not only the dash or steering wheels differed, but also the grill and ofcourse the badging.
The most common engine was the 6 cylinder, a few 8 cylinders were seen but not many.
This applies to products sold in India by PAL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noonrock View Post
Quick comment; the 1935 Buick is a 1939 Buick..................... Cheers from the wild western US.
Which post are you refering to? maybe you can give the post number.

Cheers harit
harit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2013, 11:10   #1835
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Ohio, USA
Posts: 111
Thanked: 98 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post

Slightly wrong here, priyo. There were in all 4 body shells, the smallest being a Plymouth badged car, then a larger shell with DeSoto, Dodge and maybe Plymouth badging, not yet fluid drive, a still larger shell with Fluid Drive badges as Dodge, DeSoto and Chrysler, and then the 7-seater shell only seen as a Chrysler after 1947. None were left hand drive, and today I only know of one LHD Chrysler Fluid Drive in Bombay, probably an imported car. The imported LHD cars were the 1954 convertible Plymouth, Dodge and Desoto's, others came in CKD and were assembled.
When the shells were of the same size, not only the dash or steering wheels differed, but also the grill and ofcourse the badging.
The most common engine was the 6 cylinder, a few 8 cylinders were seen but not many.
This applies to products sold in India by PAL.

Which post are you refering to? maybe you can give the post number.

Cheers harit
I stand corrected ! About the 7 seater 47 Chrysler, I refer to movie ' Shree 420' . The very start ' Raj ' is trying to get a lift and has no luck. He sees a car approaching and lays down on the road faking exhaustion. The car stops. Seth Sonachand Dharmdas & family give him a ride in this seven seater Chrysler. Raj is on the floor of this huge car ! Huge car with sunshade ! Had to be a New Yorker with the longer wheel base. Of course, he gets thrown out when the Seth is told of Raj's trick ! The seven seater,longer wheel base DeSoto was a the back bone of the. Taxi fleet in New York and can be seen in many 50s movies. For New York Taxis in the late 90s and till 2010' Ford had to introduce the very popular Crown Victoria with extended wheelbase and wider back doors and larger floor area but no jump seats .
priyo is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2013, 11:23   #1836
Distinguished - BHPian
 
harit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,946
Thanked: 2,688 Times
Default Re: Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by priyo View Post
.......The seven seater,longer wheel base DeSoto was a the back bone of the. Taxi fleet in New York and can be seen in many 50s movies. ..............
Anjan may help here. There is a Hindi flik where someone in a 7-seater DeSoto taxi dies in the rear compartment and passengers come across this guy lying inside and get hysterical. That was a prewar DeSoto, which indeed plied on Bombay streets even as taxi's.

Cheers harit
harit is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2013, 11:43   #1837
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Ohio, USA
Posts: 111
Thanked: 98 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post

Anjan may help here. There is a Hindi flik where someone in a 7-seater DeSoto taxi dies in the rear compartment and passengers come across this guy lying inside and get hysterical. That was a prewar DeSoto, which indeed plied on Bombay streets even as taxi's.

Cheers harit
I have not seen this movie. I am talking about Shree 420 , with Raj Kapoor, Nargis & Nadira. the late Bengali actor Nemo played Seth Sona Chand and the Car was Chrysler long wheel base.
priyo is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2013, 11:50   #1838
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: BOMBAY
Posts: 1,805
Thanked: 1,885 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post

Anjan may help here. There is a Hindi flik where someone in a 7-seater DeSoto taxi dies in the rear compartment and passengers come across this guy lying inside and get hysterical. That was a prewar DeSoto, which indeed plied on Bombay streets even as taxi's.

Cheers harit
I think the movie starred MEHMOOD

Cheers
kasli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2013, 12:12   #1839
Team-BHP Support
 
karlosdeville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 9,588
Thanked: 7,868 Times
Default Re: Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Anjan may help here. There is a Hindi flik where someone in a 7-seater DeSoto taxi dies in the rear compartment and passengers come across this guy lying inside and get hysterical. That was a prewar DeSoto, which indeed plied on Bombay streets even as taxi's.
The movie is Saadhu aur Shaitaan, starring Mehmood. The role of the dead guy in the back is played by Pran. Enjoyable movie. The taxi is lovingly named Laila, and is a DeSoto 41/42 model, long wheel base, BMT 1800.
karlosdeville is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2013, 13:59   #1840
Senior - BHPian
 
manishalive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,415
Thanked: 671 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post

The movie is Saadhu aur Shaitaan, starring Mehmood. The role of the dead guy in the back is played by Pran. Enjoyable movie. The taxi is lovingly named Laila, and is a DeSoto 41/42 model, long wheel base, BMT 1800.
In the same movie in the end we see a convoy of selects/super select taxis coming to help mehmood. They look so damn cool.
manishalive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2013, 19:37   #1841
Distinguished - BHPian
 
anjan_c2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: India
Posts: 5,498
Thanked: 4,558 Times
Default Re: Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Anjan may help here. There is a Hindi flik where someone in a 7-seater DeSoto taxi dies in the rear compartment and passengers come across this guy lying inside and get hysterical. That was a prewar DeSoto, which indeed plied on Bombay streets even as taxi's.

Cheers harit
Hairt, I will try and post the pictues as everyone says there were so many good cars and the shooting was mainly done outdoors. Bombay shooting and cars of the 1950's,60's - must be yummy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by priyo View Post
I have not seen this movie. I am talking about Shree 420 , with Raj Kapoor, Nargis & Nadira. the late Bengali actor Nemo played Seth Sona Chand and the Car was Chrysler long wheel base.
I will post pictures of this car that appeared from the Bombay 420 miles (or was it kms ?) milestone onwards, but was later not seen.Yes, the roly-poly Seth was the villian, who later on took cudgels with the hero Raj Kapoor- fantastic movie of its times!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post
I think the movie starred MEHMOOD

Cheers
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
The movie is Saadhu aur Shaitaan, starring Mehmood. The role of the dead guy in the back is played by Pran. Enjoyable movie. The taxi is lovingly named Laila, and is a DeSoto 41/42 model, long wheel base, BMT 1800.
The taxi looks exceptionally longer and I was thinking that the workshop guys might have tinkered with it. Will post some pictures soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
In the same movie in the end we see a convoy of selects/super select taxis coming to help mehmood. They look so damn cool.
Manish, I will try to post pictures by this weekend.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 19th March 2013 at 19:41.
anjan_c2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2013, 21:59   #1842
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: BOMBAY
Posts: 1,805
Thanked: 1,885 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Hairt, I will try and post the pictues as everyone says there were so many good cars and the shooting was mainly done outdoors. Bombay shooting and cars of the 1950's,60's - must be yummy!

I will post pictures of this car that appeared from the Bombay 420 miles (or was it kms ?) milestone onwards, but was later not seen.Yes, the roly-poly Seth was the villian, who later on took cudgels with the hero Raj Kapoor- fantastic movie of its times!

The taxi looks exceptionally longer and I was thinking that the workshop guys might have tinkered with it. Will post some pictures soon.

Manish, I will try to post pictures by this weekend.
Here goes ... The car looks like a 1940/41 dodge . The distinct front curved trim can be seen on the image with Dilip Kumar. Stand corrected . It's a LWB MODEL

Cheers

Name:  image1098596903.jpg
Views: 1163
Size:  74.4 KB



Name:  image1188584677.jpg
Views: 1198
Size:  176.2 KB

Name:  image2443855515.jpg
Views: 1202
Size:  148.8 KB
Attached Images
  

Last edited by kasli : 19th March 2013 at 22:12.
kasli is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2013, 23:04   #1843
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Ohio, USA
Posts: 111
Thanked: 98 Times
Default Re: Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India

Upon a little search, I found that the yellow/black tax is a 41 Plymouth Long wheelbase. Notice the running boardIt seems Dilip Kumar has a guest appearance. Side view with Mehmood opening the door confirms the long wheelbase. In States taxis needed to be longer for passenger comfort. RHD indicates these were made for overseas market by Chrysler. It is
interesting how one small detail pulls so many factors to one's attention !
priyo is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2013, 23:19   #1844
Distinguished - BHPian
 
anjan_c2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: India
Posts: 5,498
Thanked: 4,558 Times
Default Re: Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India

I have posted Shree 420 pictures that we were discussing, here on this thread:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...ml#post3074906 (Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars)
anjan_c2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2013, 02:04   #1845
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Ohio, USA
Posts: 111
Thanked: 98 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
I have posted Shree 420 pictures that we were discussing, here on this thread:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...ml#post3074906 (Old Bollywood & Indian Films : The Best Archives for Old Cars)
Thank you for digging this clip from Shree 420. The enormous floor area in the car was typical for the long wheel base cars of that time.
priyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars karlosdeville Vintage Cars & Classics in India 5053 9th October 2017 11:04
Unidentified Vintage and Classic cars in India Julian UK Vintage Cars & Classics in India 636 16th June 2017 20:25
Procedures to move Vintage/ Classic cars between states in India bluestraveller Vintage Cars & Classics in India 33 7th April 2015 14:17
A tribute to a Vintage Man : similar to a vintage car or vintage wine StarVegabond Shifting gears 3 12th October 2009 14:49


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 05:46.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks