And another one of the same.
Attached Images

mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2013, 16:33   #1925
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Look what I saw...... Eleanor!!
This is not Eleanor or even the same model that Eleanor was customised from. This is a Mustang no doubt and a Mach 1.
speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2013, 17:52   #1926
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
This is not Eleanor or even the same model that Eleanor was customised from. This is a Mustang no doubt and a Mach 1.
Aha but that is open to debate. Most of us know the Eleanor used in the 2000 remake of the movie Gone in 60 Seconds, which was based on a 1967 Ford Mustang.

However, the original 1974 Movie by the same name did use a 1973 Mach 1 as Eleanor. Here's a still from the movie:

Name:  eleanor2.jpg
Views: 1144
Size:  22.7 KB

And the link which it came from:

http://www.themustangsource.com/time...73/73/eleanor/
predatorwheelz is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2013, 18:17   #1927
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post

Aha but that is open to debate. Most of us know the Eleanor used in the 2000 remake of the movie Gone in 60 Seconds, which was based on a 1967 Ford Mustang.

However, the original 1974 Movie by the same name did use a 1973 Mach 1 as Eleanor. Here's a still from the movie:

And the link which it came from:

http://www.themustangsource.com/time...73/73/eleanor/
That's the one.
The new one was a Shelby(?),wasn't it?
And it was the old one....
mayankk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2013, 18:34   #1928
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
The new one was a Shelby(?),wasn't it?
Yep. The newer movie uses the old(er) car, which is a 1967 Shelby GT500. The older movie uses the newer car, which is a Mach1.
predatorwheelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2013, 19:33   #1929
Senior - BHPian

If this is the same car from Coimbatore as I suspect it is, was sold recently. An extra body and lots of parts came with it, and for once I heard it changed hands for a price less crazy than some stupid prices being quoted these past few years. The body I was told either came in aluminin or aluminum parts, some racing parts or some such thing
canonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2013, 09:21   #1930
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonball View Post
If this is the same car from Coimbatore as I suspect it is, was sold recently. An extra body and lots of parts came with it, and for once I heard it changed hands for a price less crazy than some stupid prices being quoted these past few years. The body I was told either came in aluminin or aluminum parts, some racing parts or some such thing
In 1970s , most American cars were steel sheet metal bodies. Only very recently body panels were brought out in aluminum or fiber glass for ease of restoration. I don't believe the importer of a Mustang would import a a extra body to India. An extra body for what? The car appears to be a Mustang and is perhaps in decent shape . Why drool over a car that is 50 years and for which parts are in short supply even stateside. It was never a classic . Classic would be the one featured in the movie 'Bullitt'. By1974 all aamerican cars were made to meet emission standards which meant catalytic converters, smog pumps and therefore lack of power. There are many deserving models in India that are worthy of attention , like Hindustan 10 or 14' , Landmaster , ambassador with original Smith Instrument clusters, not to mention Stanadard 2000 and Contessa. Why chase after Dodge or Plymouth that are butchered, have only the body shell that reminds you of a bygone era. These cars in their present shape and condition are an insult to Virgil Exner ( in case of Chrysler) and to Harley Earl (in case of GM) . Stop trying to bring back a Baraat Dodge to life, it is to far gone. Revive a Fiat, Hindustan or Contessa. And more power to the lovers of cars.
priyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2013, 10:50   #1931
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonball View Post
If this is the same car from Coimbatore as I suspect it is, was sold recently. An extra body and lots of parts came with it, .......
Well, there were two such cars in Santa Cruz area of Mumbai. One was being built up to a real muscle car, the other was just there. But both were complete cars. These were bought by a dealer from Indore with all the extra kits and parts, and sold onwards down south. One car is with Doc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by priyo View Post
In 1970s , most American cars were steel sheet metal bodies. ......... There are many deserving models in India that are worthy of attention , like Hindustan 10 or 14' , Landmaster , ambassador with original Smith Instrument clusters, not to mention Stanadard 2000 and Contessa. Why chase after Dodge or Plymouth that are butchered, have only the body shell that reminds you of a bygone era............ Stop trying to bring back a Baraat Dodge to life, it is to far gone. Revive a Fiat, Hindustan or Contessa...............
Well, yes, you get fibreglass panels for almost every car, American, British. In the end its upto the owner to get his car on the road using cheap or expensive parts is his option. A purist will go for original metal panels or repair them, a guy just wanting to have fun in a runabout may chose fibreglass panels. In the case of Mustangs no extra body was imported.
About which cars to restore and from what level, it is again the enthusiasts choice. Dead cars have been revived, good cars have been killed. And all Indian cars mentioned have some one or the other collecting them in one way or another. Lack of choice and availability also plays a role. Recent announcement for import of vintages does not seem to have progressed, and will not make a dent to the lower end market.

BTW, that blue Mustang looks impressive, those guys will have fun. Just drive carefully.

Cheers harit
harit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2013, 12:03   #1932
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Well, there were two such cars in Santa Cruz area of Mumbai. One was being built up to a real muscle car, the other was just there. But both were complete cars. These were bought by a dealer from Indore with all the extra kits and parts, and sold onwards down south. One car is with Doc.

Well, yes, you get fibreglass panels for almost every car, American, British. In the end its upto the owner to get his car on the road using cheap or expensive parts is his option. A purist will go for original metal panels or repair them, a guy just wanting to have fun in a runabout may chose fibreglass panels. In the case of Mustangs no extra body was imported.
About which cars to restore and from what level, it is again the enthusiasts choice. Dead cars have been revived, good cars have been killed. And all Indian cars mentioned have some one or the other collecting them in one way or another. Lack of choice and availability also plays a role. Recent announcement for import of vintages does not seem to have progressed, and will not make a dent to the lower end market.

BTW, that blue Mustang looks impressive, those guys will have fun. Just drive carefully.

Cheers harit
Was one of the 2 cars in santacruz black in its prime. Met a gent who owned the black one and later got shot/riddled with bullets in that car, was told he was some type of local gangster did not the same then. He had sourced some period accessories for it and saw him once rip it on khar danda road. The same guy had a diesel (350 cu in (5.7 L) LF9 Diesel V8) cadi fifth gen 1977 onwards car as well, boy she cruised. Wonder where she ended up.
canonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2013, 12:28   #1933
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post

Cheers harit
You bet it was.
Nary a scratch or a dent, and VERY carefully driven.
And decent gents driving it too. I waited for them to catch up, and responded to my Thumbs-up with one of their own, and a smile.
mayankk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2013, 20:37   #1934
BHPian

I stumbled upon some interesting photographs while endeavouring to archive my records , these photographs are dated from 2004 - 2005 and the cars in the pictures were for sale at that time, except for the W111, I do not know where the other cars went . Wish I had more foresight at that time and not bargained for the lowest price

Maybe Harit and Kalsi can offer some clues to the whereabout of these cars now. For sure these cars exist in some collection:

(Presume as the photographs were sent to me , I am free to post them ?)

A Jaguar Mark X

Name:  Image29.JPG
Views: 765
Size:  22.7 KB
Name:  Image37.JPG
Views: 737
Size:  27.7 KB
Name:  Image39.JPG
Views: 729
Size:  27.3 KB
Name:  Image41.JPG
Views: 736