Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2013, 23:47   #2026
BHPian
 
syedhafeez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 972
Thanked: 330 Times
Default Re: Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India

Looks abandoned, can someone throw some light on her?

Courtesy: Waseem Ware
Attached Images
   
syedhafeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2013, 14:51   #2027
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: BOMBAY
Posts: 1,791
Thanked: 1,852 Times
Default Re: Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India

neither a classic nor a vintage

Cheers


Quote:
Originally Posted by syedhafeez View Post
Looks abandoned, can someone throw some light on her?

Courtesy: Waseem Ware
kasli is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2013, 15:09   #2028
Senior - BHPian
 
canonball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,466
Thanked: 187 Times
Default Re: Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post
neither a classic nor a vintage

Cheers
Curious to know how that conclusion was reached? Some countries have their own measure, appart from those anything older can be considered a classic ref - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classic_car

Anyhow thanks Sayed for the post the Audi 4000/80 you posted is 1 year away from officially being called a classic in the US as I suspect it is a 84 or earlier produced. These looked really sweet back in the day specially in turbo and with a front airdam and rear trunk spoiler. This car became the basis of the famous Quattro rally cars in 2 door and either short or long wheelbase. I used one like this 4 door for a bit in quattro in snow and boy are the usefull

Hope this EDUCATEs http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audi_80

Last edited by canonball : 3rd August 2013 at 15:16.
canonball is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2013, 15:46   #2029
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: BOMBAY
Posts: 1,791
Thanked: 1,852 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonball View Post

Curious to know how that conclusion was reached? Some countries have their own measure, appart from those anything older can be considered a classic ref - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classic_car

Anyhow thanks Sayed for the post the Audi 4000/80 you posted is 1 year away from officially being called a classic in the US as I suspect it is a 84 or earlier produced. These looked really sweet back in the day specially in turbo and with a front airdam and rear trunk spoiler. This car became the basis of the famous Quattro rally cars in 2 door and either short or long wheelbase. I used one like this 4 door for a bit in quattro in snow and boy are the usefull

Hope this EDUCATEs http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audi_80
By myself ...so no offence to any one

Cheers
kasli is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2013, 20:14   #2030
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian
 
KPS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,942
Thanked: 3,954 Times
Default Re: Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonball View Post
Curious to know how that conclusion was reached?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post
By myself ...so no offence to any one
Cheers
Well actually in India the Vintage and Classic Clubs follow that up to 1939 is vintage. The classic cars are over 1940 but the definition is quite open as to what is a classic. For example a mass produced low marque car may not be considered a classic even though it is old. Typically we do not want to consider cars above 1975. Since this is the practice, one could consider this as a relevant year of reference in India. Even in V&C Section here we allow for posting for vehicles below 1975 only. Previously the clubs practice year capping at 1960, now moved up to 1975.

Hence I agree with Kasli that this is neither a vintage or a classic here as per the practice followed by the established V&C Clubs here in India

Cheers

KPS
KPS is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2013, 21:33   #2031
Senior - BHPian
 
canonball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,466
Thanked: 187 Times
Default Re: Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
Well actually in India the Vintage and Classic Clubs follow that up to 1939 is vintage. The classic cars are over 1940 but the definition is quite open as to what is a classic. For example a mass produced low marque car may not be considered a classic even though it is old. Typically we do not want to consider cars above 1975. Since this is the practice, one could consider this as a relevant year of reference in India. Even in V&C Section here we allow for posting for vehicles below 1975 only. Previously the clubs practice year capping at 1960, now moved up to 1975.

Hence I agree with Kasli that this is neither a vintage or a classic here as per the practice followed by the established V&C Clubs here in India

Cheers

KPS
Less said about clubs and associations in India the better, every event I go to from the gossip at Cartier where some old hands active here to were complaining to other clubs which could possibly send tremors in the gossip mill. Not to mention the sheer degeneration of ethics and or innocent folks taken for a ride by the so called clubs on books and papers etc. Anyway I still consider these as what the link I put across states "Neo Classics". Btw who is we? I have been here as well and not seen such distinctions or anyone discouraging from posting here.
canonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2013, 19:30   #2032
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian
 
KPS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,942
Thanked: 3,954 Times
Default Re: Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonball View Post
. Anyway I still consider these as what the link I put across states "Neo Classics". Btw who is we? I have been here as well and not seen such distinctions or anyone discouraging from posting here.
We is "you and me" .

Should some one post a restoration of a vehicle after 1975 make, the same is shifted to "Under the Hood" --> "Modifications and Accessories" from the V&C section. If you would have noticed recently the following thread was moved http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...990-model.html (My TD to TDI VW Van (1990 model))

That is also why the Maruti SS80 is under the "Indian Car Scene"

Cheers

KPS
KPS is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2013, 19:58   #2033
Senior - BHPian
 
canonball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,466
Thanked: 187 Times
Default Re: Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
We is "you and me" .

Should some one post a restoration of a vehicle after 1975 make, the same is shifted to "Under the Hood" --> "Modifications and Accessories" from the V&C section. If you would have noticed recently the following thread was moved http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...990-model.html (My TD to TDI VW Van (1990 model))

That is also why the Maruti SS80 is under the "Indian Car Scene"

Cheers

KPS
By the same token the mid eighties Ferrari on page one of this thread should be pulled down or moved which is not done yet. The reason for moving the posts are OBVIOUS from the nature and follow on length of the posts. I don't think anyone here makes the rule, it's more to do with practicality and optimising space, lets not politicise there is enough already.

Thanks for clearing out who the we are as it seems seems fairly vitiated and clunky to me

Last edited by canonball : 4th August 2013 at 19:59.
canonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2013, 22:26   #2034
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NAMMA BENGALURU
Posts: 5,613
Thanked: 2,444 Times
Default Re: Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India

Anyone got any info about this piece of History. An awesomely BIG and a Fantastic car. Has been standstill for the past 3 decades.

Will share more details about this car in a separate thread shortly.
Attached Thumbnails
Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-dsc02116.jpg  

Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-dsc02117.jpg  


Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 7th August 2013 at 22:28.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2013, 13:06   #2035
BHPian
 
the VTEC guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 563
Thanked: 138 Times
Default Re: Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India

This one is a huge Mercedes Limozine. I think W126 - 1000 SEL.
Looks as part of one of Poonawala collection. Should this be considered as a Classic or should it be in Super Cars and Imports of Pune thread?
Spotted this in Koregaon Park, Pune and then again on other day near the race course.
Attached Thumbnails
Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-img2013080200595-copy.jpg  

Attached Images
 
the VTEC guy is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2013, 13:40   #2036
Distinguished - BHPian
 
harit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,922
Thanked: 2,566 Times
Default Re: Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by the VTEC guy View Post
This one is a huge Mercedes Limozine. I think W126 - 1000 SEL.
Looks as part of one of Poonawala collection. Should this be considered as a Classic or should it be in Super Cars and Imports of Pune thread?
Spotted this in Koregaon Park, Pune and then again on other day near the race course.
Very nice and good spotting. Seeing this car after a long time. There used to be another stretch W126 in grey colour in Mumbai, have not seen that for a long time.
1000 SEL is not an official model, maybe the monogram was fitted by the coach builder, this appears to be a custom job.
In the 1990's there used to be a black Merc in Bandra sporting the 1000 model number, in Gold.
Putting this car in this thread is OK, it is either a classic or a future classic. Definitely high up the ranking of being desirable and collectable, unlike the Audi shown above.

Cheers harit
harit is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2013, 15:55   #2037
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: trivandrum
Posts: 2,367
Thanked: 901 Times
Default Re: Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India

This 67 Biscayne is located somewhere in Chandigarh side.
Was supposed to be on sale
Attached Images
 
ajay99 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2013, 22:40   #2038
Senior - BHPian
 
canonball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,466
Thanked: 187 Times
Default Re: Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India

Bandra 1000 SEL was originally gold when first imported into india. It had a decent size TV for rear passengers, and the entire rear parcel shelf was full of speakers...of course everything lined in some type plating on the interior. Herbertson or united spirits used to have a gold stretch w126 limo in mumbai, I think it continues to be in some similar shade, apart from that there is another factory stretch limo in mumbai that to in light gold/moon dust shade

Last edited by canonball : 9th August 2013 at 22:43.
canonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2013, 10:46   #2039
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NAMMA BENGALURU
Posts: 5,613
Thanked: 2,444 Times
Default Re: Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India

How desirable is this car...?

Its Humongous, B Type FISCHER Body, a Chevrolet Impala 1967 Super Sport 2 Door Sports coupe with a V8 engine.
Attached Thumbnails
Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-dsc02369.jpg  

Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-dsc02371.jpg  

PAVAN KADAM is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2013, 23:06   #2040
Distinguished - BHPian
 
anjan_c2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: India
Posts: 5,421
Thanked: 4,300 Times
Default Re: Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India

Saw this image- could not resist posting it here!

Name:  Taxis.jpg
Views: 1049
Size:  20.6 KB

(flickr)
anjan_c2007 is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars karlosdeville Vintage Cars & Classics in India 5002 21st May 2017 14:44
Unidentified Vintage and Classic cars in India Julian UK Vintage Cars & Classics in India 628 20th May 2017 16:20
Procedures to move Vintage/ Classic cars between states in India bluestraveller Vintage Cars & Classics in India 33 7th April 2015 14:17
A tribute to a Vintage Man : similar to a vintage car or vintage wine StarVegabond Shifting gears 3 12th October 2009 14:49


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 20:35.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks