Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2014, 16:47   #2191
Senior - BHPian
 
schakravarthy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: KA 09 / KA 02
Posts: 1,144
Thanked: 3,118 Times
Default

Spotted this in Mysore. I gather this is a Morris(?). Additional details would be much appreciated.


Name:  ForumRunner_20140121_164552.png
Views: 1468
Size:  799.6 KB
schakravarthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2014, 18:58   #2192
Team-BHP Support
 
karlosdeville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 9,376
Thanked: 6,220 Times
Default Re: Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by schakravarthy View Post
Spotted this in Mysore. I gather this is a Morris(?). Additional details would be much appreciated.
That looks to be a Vauxhall Velox / Wyvern (1948 - 52?)
karlosdeville is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2014, 01:27   #2193
BHPian
 
///RMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 640
Thanked: 979 Times
Default Re: Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogji View Post
Lovely cars RMan,

But you forgot to click the studebaker and the 170V mercedes
Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Sure, the Packard is a beauty, and so is the Caddy. The Bettle is nice too. The Study is a 2-door, relatively rare in India.
Some more of the Packard, Caddy and the Beetle.

And as asked, the Studebaker and the 170V
Attached Thumbnails
Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-_mg_3464.jpg  

Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-_mg_3466.jpg  

Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-_mg_3475.jpg  

Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-_mg_3488.jpg  

Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-_mg_3489.jpg  

Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-_mg_3492.jpg  

Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-_mg_3494.jpg  

Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-_mg_3512.jpg  

Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-_mg_3535.jpg  

Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-_mg_3549.jpg  

Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-_mg_3555.jpg  

Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-_mg_3560.jpg  

Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-_mg_3562.jpg  

Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-_mg_3564.jpg  

Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-_mg_3570.jpg  

Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-_mg_3572.jpg  

Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-_mg_3575.jpg  

Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-_mg_3576.jpg  

Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-_mg_3518.jpg  

Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-_mg_3462.jpg  


Last edited by ///RMan : 22nd January 2014 at 01:37.
///RMan is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2014, 16:08   #2194
Senior - BHPian
 
schakravarthy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: KA 09 / KA 02
Posts: 1,144
Thanked: 3,118 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
That looks to be a Vauxhall Velox / Wyvern (1948 - 52?)
I couldn't resist paying another visit to the old lady. It is indeed a Vauxhall.
Attached Images
       
schakravarthy is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2014, 12:42   #2195
Team-BHP Support
 
karlosdeville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 9,376
Thanked: 6,220 Times
Default Re: Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by schakravarthy View Post
I couldn't resist paying another visit to the old lady. It is indeed a Vauxhall.
If I remember right these Vauxhalls used to be column shift? That could indicate a heart transplant.
karlosdeville is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2014, 13:39   #2196
Senior - BHPian
 
schakravarthy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: KA 09 / KA 02
Posts: 1,144
Thanked: 3,118 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
If I remember right these Vauxhalls used to be column shift? That could indicate a heart transplant.
Oh! The owner of the garage where this car is getting repaired has promised to show me a couple of old Fiats that are for sale. I'll try and find out the history of the Vauxhall when I meet him.
schakravarthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2014, 20:47   #2197
BHPian
 
Drkannant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: coimbatore
Posts: 197
Thanked: 229 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by schakravarthy View Post

Oh! The owner of the garage where this car is getting repaired has promised to show me a couple of old Fiats that are for sale. I'll try and find out the history of the Vauxhall when I meet him.
There used to be so many of these vauxhall cars running as taxis in my home town Coonoor, Nilgiris district, during my school days way back in 1980's. Now I dont see any of them, dont know where did all those cars go!
Next visit to my home town will try to find out the whereabouts of these cars.
Drkannant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2014, 20:59   #2198
Distinguished - BHPian
 
anjan_c2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: India
Posts: 5,341
Thanked: 4,028 Times
Default Re: Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
If I remember right these Vauxhalls used to be column shift? That could indicate a heart transplant.
This model of Vauxhall competed with the then mid sized Hillman Minx, Austin A 40 Devon (the Somerset came soon after) and Morris Oxford MO Series then. All had column shift gears.The British car industry was at its zenith then.
A similar Vauxhall with a column shift gear lever with a black knob positioned at the lower left

Name:  DSC03640.JPG
Views: 1753
Size:  98.7 KB

Name:  DSC03536.JPG
Views: 1525
Size:  130.1 KB

(clicked at a Rally at Nagpur)
anjan_c2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2014, 22:22   #2199
Senior - BHPian
 
schakravarthy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: KA 09 / KA 02
Posts: 1,144
Thanked: 3,118 Times
Default Re: Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post

A similar Vauxhall with a column shift gear lever with a black knob positioned at the lower left
Attachment 1195615
I thought that the steering wheel in the car I had spotted was a transplant. But after viewing the pic that you have shared, it appears that only the 'horn cap' is a transplant. The wheel itself is OE.

Name:  1390387005238.jpg
Views: 1136
Size:  129.3 KB
schakravarthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2014, 23:13   #2200
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Ohio, USA
Posts: 110
Thanked: 96 Times
Default

Someone please enlighten me :

1. This Vauxhall and the older models came with two engines, four and six cylinder , both OHV. Were these not called Velox & Wyvern ?

2. Was the Contessa a descendent of the Vauxhall ? We know that Vauxhall was acquired by GM and many models followed the Velox & Wyvern.
GM owns Opel and Holden , too. I recall the similarity between Holden and Contessa. In the 60s many Holden cars were imported from Australia by several Asian
African embassies. The similarity between Holden and Contessa , wish came from HM much later did indicate perhaps a common ancestry.
3. Australia is home to Ford of Australia , where Falcon was produced as Fairmont. It was a much fancier model than the US version. Ford foundation in New Delhi
imported a bunch of them. In 1965 , I had occasion to ride in one of the Fairmonts. AC, Automatic Transmission, front disc brakes , a straight OHV 6 engine and
Power everything .
Then I came to US and saw US version. What a let down ! This one was such a plain Jane, it was pathetic. The Australian won hands down ? I suppose Ford still
makes a better mid and low end car down-under . Of course, Japanese cars have made a big dent all over the world, specially in the 4wheel drive segment, having
cornered the market with the Landcruiser. Land Rover is now the second best .
priyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2014, 23:38   #2201
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Ohio, USA
Posts: 110
Thanked: 96 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by priyo View Post
Someone please enlighten me : 1. This Vauxhall and the older models came with two engines, four and six cylinder , both OHV. Were these not called Velox & Wyvern ? 2. Was the Contessa a descendent of the Vauxhall ? We know that Vauxhall was acquired by GM and many models followed the Velox & Wyvern. GM owns Opel and Holden , too. I recall the similarity between Holden and Contessa. In the 60s many Holden cars were imported from Australia by several Asian African embassies. The similarity between Holden and Contessa , wish came from HM much later did indicate perhaps a common ancestry. 3. Australia is home to Ford of Australia , where Falcon was produced as Fairmont. It was a much fancier model than the US version. Ford foundation in New Delhi imported a bunch of them. In 1965 , I had occasion to ride in one of the Fairmonts. AC, Automatic Transmission, front disc brakes , a straight OHV 6 engine and Power everything . Then I came to US and saw US version. What a let down ! This one was such a plain Jane, it was pathetic. The Australian won hands down ? I suppose Ford still makes a better mid and low end car down-under . Of course, Japanese cars have made a big dent all over the world, specially in the 4wheel drive segment, having cornered the market with the Landcruiser. Land Rover is now the second best .
Name:  image2608991264.jpg
Views: 1323
Size:  91.6 KB

Holden Premier


Name:  image3678370023.jpg
Views: 1531
Size:  602.9 KB

Hindustan Contessa
priyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2014, 00:09   #2202
Distinguished - BHPian
 
harit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,903
Thanked: 2,457 Times
Default Re: Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by priyo View Post
Someone please enlighten me :

1. ....came with two engines, four and six cylinder , both OHV. Were these not called Velox & Wyvern ?

2. Was the Contessa a descendent of the Vauxhall ?
GM owns Opel and Holden , ......60s many Holden cars were imported from Australia by several Asian
African embassies. The similarity between Holden and Contessa , wish came from HM much later did indicate perhaps a common ancestry.
3. Australia is home to Ford of Australia ,........
Quote:
Originally Posted by priyo View Post
Holden Premier
Hindustan Contessa
1)yes, both 4 and 6 cylinders, both Velox and Wyvern were made, both sold in India.

2) GM aquired Vauxhall in 1925, Opel in 1929. Opel factories were bomber by the allies during WW II. But what is your point? I don't get it. Did you have a Contessa? We had one, I still have the car, and I can tell you that I enjoyed it very much, loved it, and would drive it again yesterday!! The Contessa used old Vauxhall Victor (approx 1978) body dies, even the key blanks had the Vauxhall crest on them. Initially they were fitted with Amby engines, then came Isuzu Petrol followed by Isuzu diesel. But 4 cylinder, the Vauxhall Victor was also available in 6 cylinder. There was an obscene amount of extra space under the bonnet. Isuzu was also a GM product. In fact I had an Opel Record of around 1978, the fuel tank and other select items were interchangeable with those of a Contessa. GM owned Holden which started as a body building co in Australia, Buick, LaSalle, Cadillac, Oldsmobile, Marquette, Pontiac, Chevrolet, and must be some more. Many Holdens were imported to India by foreign embassies and other agencies simply because these were luxurious cars in RHD.

3) Ford Australia almost had only 8 cylinder cars till the oil crisis, I had an LTD which came from Australia in RHD, originally belonged to the Austrian Embassy, European, so not only Asian and African. These cars came in well into the 70's. If these were 2-door vehicles they would have been muscle cars. Australian Ford muscle cars are also collectible today.

Apparently, Vauxhall sold cars in India in significant numbers in the 1950's, prewar sales in India were more by Opel.

Cheers harit
harit is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2014, 01:18   #2203
BHPian
 
///RMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 640
Thanked: 979 Times
Default

As usual no clue what year, model make etc this is
Experts, please take over
Attached Images
 
///RMan is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2014, 01:41   #2204
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Ohio, USA
Posts: 110
Thanked: 96 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///RMan View Post
As usual no clue what year, model make etc this is Experts, please take over
It is a Cadillac Fleetwood formal limousine. It is most likely 1955, although it could be 1956 but definitely not 1957. If we had a photo of the front, we could be certain of the year. It looks well maintained ( not dieselised, I trust).

Almost sixty years old, seems good condition, no blue smoke out of the twin exhausts in the back bumper . Owner is obviously a car cover !

Last edited by karlosdeville : 24th January 2014 at 12:19. Reason: Consecutive posts
priyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2014, 08:34   #2205
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: BOMBAY
Posts: 1,775
Thanked: 1,816 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///RMan View Post
As usual no clue what year, model make etc this is Experts, please take over
1955 Series 75 , the Syedna's car of the bohri community. Modified for the leader here but I am sure it has some expert hands looking after it

Cheers
kasli is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Unidentified Vintage and Classic cars in India Julian UK Vintage Cars & Classics in India 622 10th January 2017 23:10
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars karlosdeville Vintage Cars & Classics in India 4978 27th December 2016 23:34
Procedures to move Vintage/ Classic cars between states in India bluestraveller Vintage Cars & Classics in India 33 7th April 2015 14:17
A tribute to a Vintage Man : similar to a vintage car or vintage wine StarVegabond Shifting gears 3 12th October 2009 14:49


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 06:29.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks