Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Old 1st December 2009, 23:32   #661
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
I'm not sure, but I think it looks like a collector well known for driving one car to work everyday.
It's very much "Him". Every car he owns is a work of art not only in terms of its original design, but also from a restoration standpoint.

His office where he parks is very close to mine, and I've made it a habit (ritual !!) to walk round the corner and take "darshan" every morning !!
SuperSelect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2009, 23:37   #662
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
It's very much "Him". Every car he owns is a work of art not only in terms of its original design, but also from a restoration standpoint.

His office where he parks is very close to mine, and I've made it a habit (ritual !!) to walk round the corner and take "darshan" every morning !!

Well can i request you take a camera with you when you go for your "Darshan"?I would also love to see his cars.
IndrojitSircar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2009, 23:58   #663
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
Well can i request you take a camera with you when you go for your "Darshan"?I would also love to see his cars.
Ooh, would love to do that. His collection deserves a dedicated thread here.. let's see when we can do this !!
SuperSelect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2009, 14:53   #664
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Hey Manishbhai!

I feel that you did not get the drift. The road conditions do not have much to do with anything. When these cars were new, the roads in many places were even worse. And today, people do manage to keep their modern cars in order. The issue is the ageing of pieces of machinery. So these old cars are restored to new-like condition, all shiny and what not. But the trick is to keep tham in running order and reliable. That does not really need deep pockets, but patience and resilence. People often ask me why I do not use my cars every day, the reason is reliability. When we sit in the car to go to place X, we want to be sure to reach. In a modern car that is hardly a subject, but in older restored classics that is an issue. So once a car is restored, you have to use her regularly, the inner latent faults will then come out. When cars come for rallys, very often mechanics/restorers are present and even drive the cars.

So what this guy driving the red Dodge said is very valid, many cars are not fit to be daily drivers because, well, they are not fit. Maintainance is one thing, but regular use goes along with it.

Cheers harit
Haritji,

I totally agree with your point of view, however what I meant was something else, sorry for not being clear on my part. For example take any vintage or classic car, what happens if someone dashes from behind or from side, the most susseptible items like tail light lenses / lights etc. will break and then it will be hard to find again the Original ones. Ok we do will maintain a stock but even that will get over after some time, we may find repro ones but in all this entails cost. One case being tyres for some cars we have no other go than to import them?? cost cost.

Maintinance is one thing, someone else spoiling our party we don't have control. Hope I am clear this time.
manishalive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2009, 12:33   #665
BHPian

Default This Rare La Salle is rusting away in a remote village...

This rare 1940 La Salle 4 door sedan is rusting away in a remote village (it's not for sale, and it's a victim of dieselisation, but originally came with a V8)
Attached Thumbnails
Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-18072009003mod.jpg  

Micki9559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2009, 13:11   #666
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micki9559 View Post
This rare 1940 La Salle 4 door sedan is rusting away in a remote village (it's not for sale, and it's a victim of dieselisation, but originally came with a V8)
Wow, fabulous, good condition too. Many of us did not know about this car. At least it has not been discussed on the forum. Is the petrol engine lying around somewhere? Any more pics of this car would be welcome.

Last edited by karlosdeville : 4th December 2009 at 13:13.
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2009, 13:26   #667
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
At least it has not been discussed on the forum. Is the petrol engine lying around somewhere? Any more pics of this car would be welcome.
Remember putting up this car for identification some days ago? Perhaps its time to pull out that Auto India article on La Salles after all.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/intern...ml#post1481806 (Official Guess the car Thread (Please see rules on first page!))
predatorwheelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2009, 14:19   #668
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Wow, fabulous, good condition too. Many of us did not know about this car. At least it has not been discussed on the forum. Is the petrol engine lying around somewhere? Any more pics of this car would be welcome.
This car was near his town. The petrol engine is gone permanently. Finding another engine will be difficult. In fact about 2 months ago I heard that the car had been sold, but not confirmed. We have known of her for more than 15 years.

Cheers harit
harit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2009, 16:09   #669
Senior - BHPian

Strikingly original from the outside. Hope the diesel monsters have left her intact on the inside. I was informed about a similar car (maybe same) but no details regarding the exact location, only was told its down South.

Im guessing its the same car as there are not many, if none around any more. The diesel story also fits but i was told the petrol engine is intact. Anyways, i could not afford it. This was more than a year ago.
V-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2009, 19:15   #670
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Strikingly original from the outside. Hope the diesel monsters have left her intact on the inside. I was informed about a similar car (maybe same) but no details regarding the exact location, only was told its down South.

Im guessing its the same car as there are not many, if none around any more. The diesel story also fits but i was told the petrol engine is intact. Anyways, i could not afford it. This was more than a year ago.
Hi V-16,
the car may appear complete and intact, but it's been meddled with in more ways then one, for starters, if u look closely, the front suspension has been replaced with that of a mm 540 jeep, also the whole front axle. you can see the cuts made in the body where the leaf springs are sticking out. as for the original engine, it's "gone with the wind". the owner says that they scrapped the engine along with the gearbox way back in the early 80s.
the interiors are also messed up. the dasboard is also cut up to make way for the extra gauges required for the diesel heart.
Thanks!
Old 4th December 2009, 19:28   #671
BHPian

BTW, There's a Lincoln V12 in a city nearby dharwad. any references on T-BHP?
Old 4th December 2009, 20:06   #672
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micki9559 View Post
Hi V-16,
the car may appear complete and intact, but it's been meddled with in more ways then one, for starters, if u look closely, the front suspension has been replaced with that of a mm 540 jeep, also the whole front axle. you can see the cuts made in the body where the leaf springs are sticking out. as for the original engine, it's "gone with the wind". the owner says that they scrapped the engine along with the gearbox way back in the early 80s.
the interiors are also messed up. the dasboard is also cut up to make way for the extra gauges required for the diesel heart.
Thanks!
Uh Oh!! I was wondering what that suspension was sticking out for but this is crazy. Butcher is all i can call the guy who did this...no wait...heartless butcher, if there ever was one!!

Last edited by V-16 : 4th December 2009 at 20:09.
V-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2009, 21:18   #673
BHPian

My Sentiments Exactly V-16!
Old 7th December 2009, 21:02   #674
BANNED

Spotted this Austin 8.
Attached Thumbnails
Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-071220091088.jpg  

arun1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2009, 21:48   #675
BHPian

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomUsername View Post
Nice '56 Plymouth!(or Dodge Kingsway) I love the '55(first year for Chrysler's "Forward Look"!) - '56 Dodge and Plymouth's, They're, in my opinion, the best looking American cars of the 50's!
This would be a 1956 Plymouth Savoy, here in USA. I was a mechanic in those days and remember it well. Had a flat-head, in-line six engine, according to the emblem, and would have had a power-flight automatic or three-speed column shift, standard transmission. Interestingly, for export, Chrysler would put a Dodge front clip (grill and front bumper) on a Plymouth and send it on it's way. Perhaps for greater profit to Chrysler. Does this one have the Dodge front-clip?
noonrock is offline   Reply With Quote