Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2007, 01:29   #181
Senior - BHPian
 
iraghava's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Bhaiyyaland
Posts: 8,028
Thanked: 154 Times
Default

More pics: Here are before & after pics of a "Sunbeam Alpine" being restored:















iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2007, 01:37   #182
Senior - BHPian
 
iraghava's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Bhaiyyaland
Posts: 8,028
Thanked: 154 Times
Default

Sunbeam "W.I.P."











iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2007, 02:30   #183
BHPian
 
vishnuvijay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Cochin
Posts: 173
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

fantastic thread iraghava. one of the best if not the best. the blue cadillac and the chevrolet camaro are my favorites here. just loved them. do you know of any shelby mustangs (gt 500, gt 250, gt 390 etc) being restored or already restored?
vishnuvijay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2007, 03:31   #184
Senior - BHPian
 
1100D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Calcutta
Posts: 4,179
Thanked: 2,360 Times
Default

We had a lot of Barges, not many of the cars that I (or for that matter many) want to see. I think there are quite a bit but isn't seemn much, like a Peugeot 404 convertible, Fiat Spyder, Alfa Romeo Guilietta, Lancia Flamina (zagato bodywork, I had seen on in Kolkata long back but where are they now?). BMW 02 SERIES.In the 50s-60's fascination for American cars were huge, so much that not many euro brands made it (other than the Merc)

One question, have you heard the engine notes of these cars. How do they sound, convincing? (or is it that the misfire on every occasion)
1100D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2007, 06:18   #185
Senior - BHPian
 
iraghava's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Bhaiyyaland
Posts: 8,028
Thanked: 154 Times
Default

Some more pics of the Merc 170















The roof, with the fabric sunroof installed




The "Pontiac Tempest" W.I.P.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2007, 11:58   #186
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Stanher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hyderabad, AP
Posts: 6,334
Thanked: 1,548 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post


I might sound stupid asking....but this is all genuine leather right?

Incidentally, I just love red interiors!
Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2007, 13:16   #187
Senior - BHPian
 
iraghava's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Bhaiyyaland
Posts: 8,028
Thanked: 154 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
I might sound stupid asking....but this is all genuine leather right?

Incidentally, I just love red interiors!
Yup, genuine top-quality Leather! It looks & feels fantastic!
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2007, 15:21   #188
Senior - BHPian
 
V-16's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: mumbai
Posts: 4,575
Thanked: 844 Times
Default

Ishan lovely pics. And that Dodge Bros limo is something else. BTW what is it with this guy and his kink of putting his badge on the valve cover o fevery car. You ought to tell him that all engines did not come with an orange colour. Many cars had their own colour codes such as grey, blue etc. Al his restoration work goes to the dogs when he painstakingly restores every bit and then screws up on the engine front.
Regards the chop job o fthe 170 merc a few observations.
The door handles were never in soild wood as is on this car, the contraption near the sun roof what is it, seems out of place in a period car. Looks very modern like a liht or a holding box i dont know. Seems too small to be a LCD screen
Then theres the red drums... yuck what was the owner thinking. this leaves zilch originality on the car..
V-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2007, 15:31   #189
Team-BHP Support
 
karlosdeville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 9,628
Thanked: 8,113 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
yuck what was the owner thinking. this leaves zilch originality on the car..
I dont think the owner had orignality in mind at any step on the way. I wouldnt be surprised if it has a modern engine in it as well.
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2007, 15:40   #190
Team-BHP Support
 
karlosdeville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 9,628
Thanked: 8,113 Times
Default

For reference purposes, heres a 170 S I saw the other day in Hyderabad for sale. Seemed very nice.





karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2007, 16:12   #191
Team-BHP Support
 
karlosdeville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 9,628
Thanked: 8,113 Times
Default

While im at it, here are the other cars he had for sale. I did not meet the owner personally, so I dont have price details. All seemed quite nice though.



Rare Mini countryman/traveller (?) with wooden frame wagon rear end.





Lovely Mustang. All cars are packed so tight, decent pictures were very difficult.





There was also an interesting looking long low sleek italian coupe under the covers, very likely to be an 80s Ferrari, but couldnt have a look at that.
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2007, 17:01   #192
Senior - BHPian
 
iraghava's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Bhaiyyaland
Posts: 8,028
Thanked: 154 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
You ought to tell him that all engines did not come with an orange colour. Many cars had their own colour codes such as grey, blue etc. Al his restoration work goes to the dogs when he painstakingly restores every bit and then screws up on the engine front.
I think it has more to do with the customer Gogi, both the cars with the coloured engines (Yellow Ponti & Yellow Sunbeam) belong to the same guy and I think he has a keen interest in coloured engines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Regards the chop job o fthe 170 merc a few observations.
The door handles were never in soild wood as is on this car, the contraption near the sun roof what is it, seems out of place in a period car. Looks very modern like a liht or a holding box i dont know. Seems too small to be a LCD screen
Then theres the red drums... yuck what was the owner thinking. this leaves zilch originality on the car..
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
I dont think the owner had orignality in mind at any step on the way. I wouldnt be surprised if it has a modern engine in it as well.
As Karl said, the owner was not after originality but rather for something unique hence all that work. As for the roof, I think that's the control box for the sunroof.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2007, 17:06   #193
Team-BHP Support
 
karlosdeville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 9,628
Thanked: 8,113 Times
Default

Now Im getting quite convinced the car has a different engine (let me guess...bright red?) Ishan, kindly do the needfull
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2007, 17:23   #194
Senior - BHPian
 
iraghava's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Bhaiyyaland
Posts: 8,028
Thanked: 154 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Now Im getting quite convinced the car has a different engine (let me guess...bright red?) Ishan, kindly do the needfull
Unfortunately Karl, it has the original engine with a new carburettor!! And no it ain't red or orange either
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2007, 17:27   #195
Team-BHP Support
 
karlosdeville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 9,628
Thanked: 8,113 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Unfortunately Karl, it has the original engine with a new carburettor!! And no it ain't red or orange either
A canary Yellow perhaps? Any pics?
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LML Being restored desideep Motorbikes 46 9th November 2017 14:47
The 50 Best Post War Classics Located in India RollingArt Vintage Cars & Classics in India 12 19th July 2011 13:03
1996 Yezdi Roadking being restored sudhirbhan Motorbikes 16 8th March 2010 17:24
American Classics and Musclecars Aditya The International Automotive Scene 3 4th May 2004 15:05


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 12:06.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks