Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2007, 14:01   #226
Senior - BHPian
 
speedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mumbai Meri Jaan
Posts: 6,197
Thanked: 926 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
The pic that does not seem to appear, once again posted: the 170s sedan

u would be knowing, in hydrabad there was a similar car for sale dont know if its sold or not. 170s two door
speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2007, 14:17   #227
Senior - BHPian
 
V-16's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: mumbai
Posts: 4,575
Thanked: 844 Times
Default

Hyderabad cars are in good condition as the weather is dry there. Yes had heard of the car but was not interested in it for the high price. IMHO one can pay a slight premium for hyderabad cars as they seldom have rust but one has to see where the car will be sent to finally and add to that the cost of transportation, which sometimes makes the car unreasonable for an out of towner and not so much for a local.
V-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2007, 14:30   #228
Senior - BHPian
 
speedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mumbai Meri Jaan
Posts: 6,197
Thanked: 926 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Hyderabad cars are in good condition as the weather is dry there. Yes had heard of the car but was not interested in it for the high price. IMHO one can pay a slight premium for hyderabad cars as they seldom have rust but one has to see where the car will be sent to finally and add to that the cost of transportation, which sometimes makes the car unreasonable for an out of towner and not so much for a local.
the weather is dry and the cars are in better conditions. same her for the price i let it go. i dont think the cost of transportation would make any difference if your buying a beauty. you always look at the cost of the car and the transportation seperately. then again you have the locals who sometime spoil prices and out of towners have to bear the brunt of it.
speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2007, 15:12   #229
BHPian
 
-GS-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 384
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

Mercedes Benz 170V

First shown to the public at the Berlin Auto Show in February 1936, the vehicle was offered in various body combinations including two and four door sedans and convertibles, cabriolet, delivery van, ambulance and even police car. By 1942 almost 90,000 170's had been manufactured, with passenger cars accounting for over 70,000 of those.


In April 1945 Daimler Benz executives announced that the company had "ceased to exist", however some of the less damaged manufacturing plants fell into the Allied occupied zone and after as many ex-employees as could be located, production resumed on the 170.


Technical Spec:
Engine 4 Cylinder M 136 170V
Capacity: 1697cc
Type: Conventional, water-cooled four stroke, reciprocating piston type with 4 cylinders
Configuration: Front mounted, longitudinal, inline
Head: Pushrod and rocker actuated ohv with one valve per cylinder
Fuel System: Solex updraft 30 BFLVS carburetor
Bore and Stroke: 2.89 x 3.94 inches (73.5 x 100mm)
Power: 38hp @ 3600rpm
Torque: 10 mkg @ 1800rpm (72.35 ft/lb)
Compression Ratio: 6.0:1 (from 1949 6.5:1)



Mercedes Benz 170S (1949 - 1955)

It was available in either petrol or diesel with both cars using the same four door saloon body. The design was not actually new. Despite the pre-war looks of the 170 it did manage to incorporate hydraulic brakes and a rear swing-axle.


This Mercedes had exceptional build quality and many improvements were made under the skin, such as improving the weight distribution to improve the center of gravity.


The 170S also proved a big advance on the 170V. The use of independent suspension attached to a rigid cruciform frame of oval tube sections provided much better handling.


In May 1949 a convertible joined the lineup, then simply known as the model B. In January 1952 production began of the 170Sb, this model featured a column mounted gear change selector, better heating system, a wider track and starting knob mounted on the dash.

Last of the models was the 170S-V, built from July 1953 to February 1955. Using the engine from the 170V, the chassis of the Sb with front axle of the V model, and the body of the S model.


Technical Spec:
Engine 4 Cylinder M 136 170S/170Sb
Capacity: 1767cc
Type: Conventional, water-cooled four stroke, reciprocating piston type with 4 cylinders
Configuration: Front mounted, longitudinal, inline
Head: Pushrod and rocker actuated ohv with one valve per cylinder
Fuel System: Solex updraft 32 PBJ carburetor
Bore and Stroke: 2.95 x 3.94 inches (75 x 100mm)
Power: 52 hp @ 4000rpm
Torque: 11.4 mkg @ 1800rpm (82.5 ft/lb)
Compression Ratio: 6.5:1



Mercedes Benz 170D (1949 - 1955)


The 170D shared it's body with the 170S, but with the implementation of a diesel motor the car was able to offer the motoring public a much more economically viable method of transport at a time when economic hardship was rife.

Using a pre-combustion chamber system the engine was able to develop 38bhp at 3200rpm, with a torque curve steady over a wide range of engine speeds.
There was no other difference to the 170D over its gasoline-powered stable mate.

Technical Spec:
Engine 4 Cylinder Diesel OM 636 170D
Capacity: 1697cc
Type: Water-cooled diesel, reciprocating piston type with 4 cylinders
Configuration: Front mounted, longitudinal, inline
Head: Pushrod and rocker actuated ohv with one valve per cylinder
Fuel System: Bosh injection pump with pre-combustion chamber
Bore and Stroke: 2.90 x 3.94 inches (73.5 x 100mm)
Power: 38 hp @ 3200rpm
Torque: 9.8 mkg @ 2000rpm (70.9 ft/lb)
Compression Ratio: 19:1



170S convertible





170S sedan





170V
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
-GS- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2007, 15:33   #230
Senior - BHPian
 
speedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mumbai Meri Jaan
Posts: 6,197
Thanked: 926 Times
Default

great details my friends. thank you for the info.
speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2007, 17:09   #231
Team-BHP Support
 
karlosdeville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 9,628
Thanked: 8,105 Times
Default

Here we are...the Hyderabad car. Though it is a four door. Speedy, are you sure you are talking about a two door?


Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
For reference purposes, heres a 170 S I saw the other day in Hyderabad for sale. Seemed very nice.



Last edited by karlosdeville : 10th August 2007 at 17:11.
karlosdeville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2007, 17:16   #232
Senior - BHPian
 
speedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mumbai Meri Jaan
Posts: 6,197
Thanked: 926 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Here we are...the Hyderabad car. Though it is a four door. Speedy, are you sure you are talking about a two door?
i got the info karlos. mine was half knowledge now i have full knowledge. is this car still for sale in hydrabad? are there any others for sale there.
speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2007, 17:20   #233
Team-BHP Support
 
karlosdeville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 9,628
Thanked: 8,105 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
is this car still for sale in hydrabad? are there any others for sale there.
Go through this thread, Ive put up pics of cars, mentioning which ones are for sale. I DO NOT HAVE CONTACT DETAILS, so guys, please stop pm'ing me!

The only way I know to contact him, is go to Public gardens, Hyderabad, ask for Asif Khan, used car dealer. He showed them to me.
karlosdeville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2007, 17:25   #234
Senior - BHPian
 
speedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mumbai Meri Jaan
Posts: 6,197
Thanked: 926 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Go through this thread, Ive put up pics of cars, mentioning which ones are for sale. I DO NOT HAVE CONTACT DETAILS, so guys, please stop pm'ing me!

The only way I know to contact him, is go to Public gardens, Hyderabad, ask for Asif Khan, used car dealer. He showed them to me.
ok thanks karlos, will find and contact asif khan. is a reliable person to deal with? as in most of the people show photos and dont have the cars.
speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2007, 17:26   #235
Team-BHP Support
 
karlosdeville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 9,628
Thanked: 8,105 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
ok thanks karlos, will find and contact asif khan. is a reliable person to deal with? as in most of the people show photos and dont have the cars.
I cannot vouch for him, I dont know him. I took those photos myself.
karlosdeville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2007, 17:51   #236
Senior - BHPian
 
speedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mumbai Meri Jaan
Posts: 6,197
Thanked: 926 Times
Default

dont worry karlos not going to hold you to it
speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2007, 18:08   #237
Senior - BHPian
 
canonball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,466
Thanked: 188 Times
Default

Hi Speedy,

Been going through your posts..must say you are uptodate on the classic scene. I know this may sound streched but I want a practical 70 or 80 classic sports car or sedan with creature comferts like aircon power steering maybe. I called the Porsche guy in Delhi for the 911's he keeps advertising..the guy quotes some stupid prices....I had come accross this great White 911-1991 in Goa stranded in the customs bonded area. The guy was quoting 25 lacs 3 years ago. It was stored for some 2-3years...he said they kept going starting it and moving it around the place...tropicalised it for india ...etc but I was not sure of a car that hadn't run for a while...short of the long German/European sports car!

Nikhil
canonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2007, 22:13   #238
Senior - BHPian
 
speedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mumbai Meri Jaan
Posts: 6,197
Thanked: 926 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonball View Post
Hi Speedy,

Been going through your posts..must say you are uptodate on the classic scene. I know this may sound streched but I want a practical 70 or 80 classic sports car or sedan with creature comferts like aircon power steering maybe. I called the Porsche guy in Delhi for the 911's he keeps advertising..the guy quotes some stupid prices....I had come accross this great White 911-1991 in Goa stranded in the customs bonded area. The guy was quoting 25 lacs 3 years ago. It was stored for some 2-3years...he said they kept going starting it and moving it around the place...tropicalised it for india ...etc but I was not sure of a car that hadn't run for a while...short of the long German/European sports car!

Nikhil
thank you if you think that way about me . i just like to keep track of cars and if something interesting comes my way i shall add it to the collection. 25 for a 91 model which has not been started for 2/3 years is too expensive. as far as i know in a bonded wherhouse you just cant just walk in there and start car. they belong to the customs till you pay up and take your car away. i shall let you know if i come across anything interesting.
speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2007, 17:36   #239
Newbie
 
bobby.fdz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Cochin
Posts: 16
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Regarding the 170s discussed here, here are some facts about mercedes 170 series,
First of all...the 170V is a pre war Model of the 170 series from Mercedes and the 170S is the post war model ( officially )....and this post war model came officially in the year 1953 and this is the car what made Mercedes to establish in Europe after the war

After the 2nd world war ...ie. in 1951, sure there were some left overs of the 170V in their plant and some cars were assembled from the left overs after the war and sold to civilians. But what mercedes they made officially after the war was called 170S. This 170S differs from the prewar model ( 170V ) in a lot of aspects incl. the body dimensions, meter clusters, bonnet openings, tail lights..etc. The most Notable changes were, 1 piece bonnet opening towards the body than opening to the sides as in pre war and then the rear stepny wheel disappeared from the boot in a post war model

And also, the 170V came with 4 door saloon, 4 door rag top, 2 door convertible and 2 door coupe models. Where as the 170S NEVER came in 2 door version incl. convertible or a coupe. Instead these models were made in the 220 series by the Mercedes. Sure the 220 came with built in head lights at the front mudguards

This car sure seem to have undergone some modifications ..either to suit the available parts, or done being not able to restore as original specs….sure now a days So many even don,t bother to fix up the original engine even and end up replacing it with newbie engines…..But sure it is not a chopped car…chopping in the sense not side ways….reducing the glass height vertically is meant here.

So in this case , to verify the right identity of this car, the best is to have the chassis plate no. as one can easily verify the year/ model of this car without hazzling around in discussions. So, hope someone can check it and post it in here and we all can verify the car right. I guess thats about the info I have on 170 series. Corrections are always welcome....

Last edited by ajmat : 11th August 2007 at 18:39.
bobby.fdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2007, 00:24   #240
BHPian
 
-GS-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 384
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby.fdz View Post
Regarding the 170s discussed here, here are some facts about mercedes 170 series,
First of all...the 170V is a pre war Model of the 170 series from Mercedes and the 170S is the post war model ( officially )....and this post war model came officially in the year 1953 and this is the car what made Mercedes to establish in Europe after the war

After the 2nd world war ...ie. in 1951, sure there were some left overs of the 170V in their plant and some cars were assembled from the left overs after the war and sold to civilians. But what mercedes they made officially after the war was called 170S. This 170S differs from the prewar model ( 170V ) in a lot of aspects incl. the body dimensions, meter clusters, bonnet openings, tail lights..etc.
Where as the 170S NEVER came in 2 door version incl. convertible or a coupe. Instead these models were made in the 220 series by the Mercedes.
bobby.fdz, I did mention in my post that Mercedes 170V was first shown to the public in 1936, i.e. PRE-WAR and was available in various body combinations.

In 1949, i.e. POST-WAR (world war II ended in 1945), 170S was introduced. In the same year the 170S Convertible was also introduced. You have rightly pointed out that there was a lot of difference between 170V and 170S, I did mention their respective technical specifications.

Sir, you may please refer to the following links which contain photographs of the 170S two door convertible since you mentioned that it "NEVER" came in two door version including convertible or coupe.




170 S 1951 Mercedes


Mercedes-Benz Classic Days / Salzburg 2005


Art Installation Mephistopheles - Horst G. Loewel




Corrections welcome.
-GS- is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LML Being restored desideep Motorbikes 46 9th November 2017 14:47
The 50 Best Post War Classics Located in India RollingArt Vintage Cars & Classics in India 12 19th July 2011 13:03
1996 Yezdi Roadking being restored sudhirbhan Motorbikes 16 8th March 2010 17:24
American Classics and Musclecars Aditya The International Automotive Scene 3 4th May 2004 15:05


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 14:57.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks