Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Old 8th July 2008, 14:27   #661
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post
Finally, and possibly the biggest give-away in these pics of the tub, the A-pillars have been cut along the curve of the screen - the water channel on the extremity ends much lower, as also compared to your pic of the true convertible.
Point well taken Sherlock. So that means one less genuine convertible, and one less chance of me acquiring one
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2008, 16:33   #662
Distinguished - BHPian

'saw this lovely '57 chevy Bel-air for the first time parked in an area that I pass through often! 'seems to have been just done up.

I hope they are going to fit all the badges and hubcaps soon! It looks complete otherwise.
No idea whats under the bonnet though!

But I wonder why maruti 800/zen side indicators are becoming soooooo popular on classics lately!!

'couldnt take any interior pics. and I didnt want to be caught checking out the car too long without permission so I just took a look from outside. It oddly seemed to have 2 "humps" for the speedo consoles on the dash (also noticeable from the front view pic!)
Attached Thumbnails
Classics being restored in India-belair01.jpg  

Classics being restored in India-belair02.jpg  

Classics being restored in India-img_0842.jpg  

Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2008, 17:23   #663
Senior - BHPian

Are those Amby wheels??
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2008, 17:35   #664
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Are those Amby wheels??
They certainly arent!
Old 8th July 2008, 17:58   #665
Senior - BHPian

Great looking car!! But I really feel the rims are not original, they look too small. Regarding the two humps in the dashboard, these cars came with symmetric consoles, so that they could be used for both LHD and RHD cars!!
JayD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2008, 18:04   #666
Senior - BHPian

Absolutely my thoughts JayD. Maybe the tyres are also wrong. They need to be high profile tyres.
This is an eight cyl going by the Metal plates on the rear wing.
V-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2008, 23:44   #667
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Absolutely my thoughts JayD. Maybe the tyres are also wrong. They need to be high profile tyres.
Well there are 5 lug nuts, and the only 'Indian' car with those is the Ambassador. But those are NOT Amby rims for sure, you can make out by the "lip" around the centre for the hubcaps which the Amby rims dont have.

So only clue is they are from another American car of a later era, maybe a 60s Impala? Which may also explain the "smaller" look.
Old 9th July 2008, 20:57   #668
Team-BHP Support

Methinks the wheels could be original. Perhaps the incorrect tyre size is throwing us off. Anyways nice car. Is it for sale?
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2008, 22:37   #669
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Methinks the wheels could be original. Perhaps the incorrect tyre size is throwing us off. Anyways nice car. Is it for sale?
Thats what my mech. said he would find out.

But dont tell me you want to buy this- you cant get it at the same price as you got your fiats for!
Old 9th July 2008, 22:40   #670
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Thats what my mech. said he would find out.

But dont tell me you want to buy this- you cant get it at the same price as you got your fiats for!
That was exactly what i was about to say!! Maybe he is exchanging the BEetle for this!!
Cyrus43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2008, 23:25   #671
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
That was exactly what i was about to say!! Maybe he is exchanging the BEetle for this!!
Nah, he got even that relatively cheap, although not as cheap as his other cars!

Last edited by Stanher : 9th July 2008 at 23:34.
Old 10th July 2008, 12:31   #672

Default Mustang Mach 1

Hi all,

I am not technically very sound as far as cars go so i might be a little over ambitious with what i have in mind.

I am planning to get a Mustang Mach 1(this is my second post enquiring about this) but have not been very successful as i cant find any in India. While prowling the net i found they were available in US but getting it from there is simply impossible for me especially with the duties involved and moreover i cant go and personally check the car too.

I also thought that i could get a clone by picking up a contessa chassis but the guys at Autopsyche said it would not work since the front of the Mustang is longer than thee contessa(whic i knew they would say).

Now im confused as to what should i do, get a Mustang and restore it or try and lay my hands on an old car which can be transformed into a Mach 1 although i would like to work and restore a classic than create a clone of it!!!

I would appreciate if any of you could guide me.

For those who will takae pain in going through this post...THANKS!!!!
mustangfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2008, 21:51   #673
BHPian

mustangfever, join the bandwagon, was working on something similar earlier. You can pick up decent ones for around 6K in the states but they are left hand drive and by a coservative estimate spend another 5K converting to RHD plus the shipment and duty. Even when all the above work you still have the impoet rules which are (un) clear about the age of the car for import....
Pune_Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2008, 22:27   #674
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangfever View Post
Now im confused as to what should i do, get a Mustang and restore it or try and lay my hands on an old car which can be transformed into a Mach 1 although i would like to work and restore a classic than create a clone of it!!!
If you have access to a Mach 1 here in India at best you could make a fibreglass mockup based on it. Making a body in steel which looks the real deal will call for tremendous skills.

Are you open to something like a Transam? I could ask a friend who has one if he'd like to part with it
DKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2008, 00:07   #675
Distinguished - BHPian

Sorry forgot to put this up yesterday- here is what looks like a late 50s/early 60s bug owned by a friend and being restored.
'had posted some pics. of this car earlier when it was just primed up.

This is not going to be the actual colour of the car but just to check the body for hidden lumps/finishing touches where required.

Karl, be a little patient- rest assured I'll get you the rims from his other car (parts donor)- soon!
Attached Thumbnails
Classics being restored in India-img_0853.jpg  

Classics being restored in India-img_0854.jpg