Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Old 11th July 2008, 00:25   #676

Thanks for the reply Pune Bike..you are the first one to do so

Could you tell me what were you working on and how far did u get on that project?

This is going to be my first car restoration project. I do not want a car that is already all done up. I am tryin to get hold of a near scrap Mach 1 and get it here as scrap. Thus avoiding the duties and all the other (un)clear formalities
mustangfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2008, 00:43   #677

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
If you have access to a Mach 1 here in India at best you could make a fibreglass mockup based on it. Making a body in steel which looks the real deal will call for tremendous skills.

Are you open to something like a Transam? I could ask a friend who has one if he'd like to part with it
Hi DKG,

Thanks a lot for the Transam offer, but sadly i would have to decline it.
And as far as getting access to a Mach 1 in India is concerned, NO, i have not been able to track one yet.

I will be going to HMCI next week to try and get some information(if any is available to them) on Mach 1s in India. If i am lucky i might get some direction there or else i would have to get one from the States.

Incase you get any information on a Mach 1 in India, PLEASE do tell me about it!!
Old 11th July 2008, 09:24   #678
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangfever View Post
I am planning to get a Mustang Mach 1(this is my second post enquiring about this) but have not been very successful as i cant find any in India...

Heres one : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...-mach-1-a.html
(This one might have recently traded hands between forum members - however i am unsure of the details so please confirm with those who know better)

and another : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super-...tml#post222206

and a mention of what might be another ? : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...tml#post794363

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2008, 12:38   #679

Thanks a lot for the links Rehaan, i have sent a msg to Landspeed, hopefully he will be able to guide me as to how do i go ahead with my project.

I am extremly excited as this woudl be my first project.
Old 25th July 2008, 20:06   #680
BHPian

Default M/s Plymouth & Co.

Dear Friends, I have been working on this 1954 Plymouth Savoy for quite some time. The car is now ready and cruises at 50-60 MPH quite easily. A few body parts are still missing especially the door trims. I've been looking for them and hope to find them soon. Meanwhile, here are some pictures. I look forward for your comments. (I'm posting pictures for the first time on this forum. Do excuse me if I have gone wrong somewhere)

Here goes...

Classics being restored in India-1.front.jpg

Classics being restored in India-5.monogram.jpg

Classics being restored in India-6.rear.jpg

6 Volt Electricals...

Classics being restored in India-3.engine.jpg

Interiors

Classics being restored in India-door.jpg

Another girl keeping her company - W123
Classics being restored in India-w123.jpg

My uncle's beloved - Landmaster
Classics being restored in India-landmaster.jpg
Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2008, 22:09   #681
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddy View Post
Dear Friends, I have been working on this 1954 Plymouth Savoy for quite some time. The car is now ready and cruises at 50-60 MPH quite easily. A few body parts are still missing especially the door trims. I've been looking for them and hope to find them soon.
Could you give us pictures of the door trims that you require? It might be easier to have them fabricated. Bombay has many skilled artisans in this field. Nice Landmaster too. Do share some more pictures of both the Landmaster and the Herald undergoing restoration I see in the back.
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2008, 22:23   #682
BANNED

Caddy, your place looks stangely familiar!! Where do you stay?? Also, Is the Herald MK1??
Cyrus43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2008, 19:17   #683
BHPian

Quote:
Caddy, your place looks stangely familiar!! Where do you stay?? Also, Is the Herald MK1??
The Herald is 1967 MII. The car is a Punekar (Pune car). I got a good deal on it while in Pune on an audit. Cyrus, I live in Bombay. PM me for address. You are welcome for a cup of tea and ganthiya. That will give you a hint where I stay.

Quote:
It might be easier to have them fabricated. Bombay has many skilled artisans in this field. Nice Landmaster too. Do share some more pictures of both the Landmaster and the Herald undergoing restoration I see in the back.
Karlos, I will be glad if you can let me know any such person who can fabricate the trims. I do not have any samples and people I spoke with are skilled but insist on a sample for fabrication. Pics can be downloaded from net.
I will certainly post more Pics of Landmaster and Herald. The Herald is undergoing restoration though.
Old 26th July 2008, 22:42   #684
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The Herald is 1967 MII. The car is a Punekar (Pune car). I got a good deal on it while in Pune on an audit. Cyrus, I live in Bombay. I will certainly post more Pics of Landmaster and Herald. The Herald is undergoing restoration though.
Nice plymouth and Lando you have there!
Yes, would especially love to see more pics. of the herald please!

And yes even I would like to know anyone who fabricates trim.
Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2008, 22:52   #685
Senior - BHPian

Caddy your Savoy rocks, totally !! I just love the colour yaar ..
I think Maulana form chor bazaar is connected with guys who can do a good job of fabricating just about anything for classics. Am I right karl ??
SuperSelect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2008, 22:55   #686
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Dear Friends, I have been working on this 1954 Plymouth Savoy for quite some time. The car is now ready and cruises at 50-60 MPH quite easily. A few body parts are still missing especially the door trims. I've been looking for them and hope to find them soon. Meanwhile, here are some pictures. I look forward for your comments. (I'm posting pictures for the first time on this forum. Do excuse me if I have gone wrong somewhere)
Caddy excellent photos. The Plymouth Savoy looks absolutely very original- the dash and exteriors are excellent. Some very good chrome plating on the bumpers, grille and other chrome parts will make it a "Plymouth Shining".
Do post more pictures of the Landmaster interiors(the dash, gear, rear).

Last edited by Rehaan : 27th July 2008 at 02:05. Reason: quote fixed
anjan_c2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2008, 01:35   #687
BHPian

Quote:
Some very good chrome plating on the bumpers, grille and other chrome parts will make it a "Plymouth Shining".
I am really amazed at your attention to detail Anjan. You're right I never got the bumpers plated because it was too much trouble. Also I was worried that they might not do a good job and spoil the thing.

Quote:
Caddy your Savoy rocks, totally !! I just love the colour yaar ..
I think Maulana form chor bazaar is connected with guys who can do a good job of fabricating just about anything for classics. Am I right karl ??
Thanks, Super Select. The colour is good if I may say so myself. The picture, alas, does not do justice to the colour. Maulana has always been a disappointment. As with others, he also insists on a sample for the door trims and I have none.
Old 27th July 2008, 13:22   #688
BHPian

Quote:
I am really amazed at your attention to detail Anjan. You're right I never got the bumpers plated because it was too much trouble. Also I was worried that they might not do a good job and spoil the thing.

Thanks, Super Select. The colour is good if I may say so myself. The picture, alas, does not do justice to the colour. Maulana has always been a disappointment. As with others, he also insists on a sample for the door trims and I have none.
Hi Caddy, Great car your Plymouth ! Good colour too. and the upholstry has also come out well.Please try to polish the chrome before you decide on rechroming. I have had experiences in chrome. It does not come out like the original and moreover it is not long lasting,especially in places like Mumbai with good amount of rains and high humidity. The original chrome, though gets a little dull, definitely lasts and moreover if you have noticed, the sheen of the original chrome is somewhat different from the chrome of these days. If it is too bad then ofcourse, there is no choice.
Dussey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2008, 22:40   #689
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi all,

I am not technically very sound as far as cars go so i might be a little over ambitious with what i have in mind.

I am planning to get a Mustang Mach 1(this is my second post enquiring about this) but have not been very successful as i cant find any in India. While prowling the net i found they were available in US but getting it from there is simply impossible for me especially with the duties involved and moreover i cant go and personally check the car too.

I also thought that i could get a clone by picking up a contessa chassis but the guys at Autopsyche said it would not work since the front of the Mustang is longer than thee contessa(whic i knew they would say).

Now im confused as to what should i do, get a Mustang and restore it or try and lay my hands on an old car which can be transformed into a Mach 1 although i would like to work and restore a classic than create a clone of it!!!

I would appreciate if any of you could guide me.

For those who will takae pain in going through this post...THANKS!!!!
Great thought buddy but at the risk of sounding like a damp squib, forget it, its not realistic. Both your projects of;l
1) importing a Mustang from the US to India
2) Fabricating a similar car here.
Instead just avoid yourself a lot of heartache, ridicule and monetary drain and get yourself a classic that is available in India like the TransAm DKG offered or a similar car.
See its very easy to dream and be ambitious but then when you undertake a project like that you will realize that it was impractical after all. Its practically impossible unless you have your own garage and workshop and have in depth knowledge of what you are going to do.

There are at least three (that i know of) Mach-I mustangs in India, unfortunately none of these are for sale.

Quote:
I am tryin to get hold of a near scrap Mach 1 and get it here as scrap. Thus avoiding the duties and all the other (un)clear formalities
What you are thinking of is not only near impossible but also illegal. You are not allowed to import a car in CKD and re assemble it here.
V-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2008, 19:44   #690
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dussey View Post
Hi Caddy, Great car your Plymouth ! Good colour too. and the upholstry has also come out well.Please try to polish the chrome before you decide on rechroming. I have had experiences in chrome. It does not come out like the original and moreover it is not long lasting,especially in places like Mumbai with good amount of rains and high humidity. The original chrome, though gets a little dull, definitely lasts and moreover if you have noticed, the sheen of the original chrome is somewhat different from the chrome of these days. If it is too bad then ofcourse, there is no choice.
Caddy thanks- actually we suggest that you get the chrome plating done again but at the same time it must look like the original. As our friend Dussey has put it, we must be very careful. I too had some bad experiences with chrome plating over the original.
If you have contacts at the VCCI its better to get some authentic advice before embarking on the job.
All the best!
anjan_c2007 is offline   Reply With Quote