Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Old 21st April 2011, 13:39   #826
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India

A lazy walk at Balard Estate this morning:
Well I was on my way back after completing a survey at inner anchorage & I happen to pass one of those Colonial buildings (I'm not naming the building) & my eyes go beyond the gaps in an iron gate.
& there they were lying...
Classics being restored in India-100_0532.jpg

SONU
ariesonu is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2011, 21:21   #827
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice ... Is that a 220 s

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesonu View Post
A lazy walk at Balard Estate this morning:
Well I was on my way back after completing a survey at inner anchorage & I happen to pass one of those Colonial buildings (I'm not naming the building) & my eyes go beyond the gaps in an iron gate.
& there they were lying...
Attachment 533881

SONU
kasli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2011, 17:06   #828
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post
Nice ... Is that a 220 s
Hi Anirudh (hope I have not misspelt it )- Are you talking about the blue one ? Must be, can confirm with the owner if you want me to. It has vertical headlamp unit with two round lamps.

Nice to find them here, both the Merc and Range Rover belong to the same owner, the Range rover has gone through an extensive mechanical restoration project and it seemed like never ending. It has lamps that can blind in daylight.

He wanted to bring one of his cars for the classic car drive, we used to have on sunday mornings.
kavesh55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2011, 09:59   #829
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavesh55 View Post
He wanted to bring one of his cars for the classic car drive, we used to have on sunday mornings.
Not used to, but still have infact we had one two weeks ago.

Anyways I met the owner of the 220S and 250S the other day while filling petrol at the pump at Ballard estate. Nice car the 220S quite original but due for restoration, which he informed me he would be going for soon.

Do keep your eyes on the Classic car drive thread, and also do inform Mr Guzder if he'd like to participate.
the mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2011, 18:41   #830
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Classics being restored in India

The Blue car looks like a W108 to me, see the rear lights
V-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2011, 22:38   #831
Senior - BHPian

@Kavesh: Is the Range Rover same one, that was parked on the road beside IT office in Marine Lines?
ariesonu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2011, 10:39   #832
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
The blue one should be a 115, just a small possibility of being a 114. But not a 108.
And why does he keep the tyres flat?

Cheers harit
harit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2011, 12:14   #833
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

I have also seen a Rolls Royce at that same place along with the Range Rover and the blue Merc. One of the guards there mentioned that the cars are owned by a Parsi guy named Shroff.
v12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2011, 14:32   #834
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
Not used to, but still have infact we had one two weeks ago.

Anyways I met the owner of the 220S and 250S the other day while filling petrol at the pump at Ballard estate. Nice car the 220S quite original but due for restoration, which he informed me he would be going for soon.

Do keep your eyes on the Classic car drive thread, and also do inform Mr Guzder if he'd like to participate.
I had spoken to him last year, but it was monsoon already. So told him post monsoon. Will keep an eye on the thread anyways.

Quote:
Gogi- The rear lights are similar to the W123.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesonu View Post
@Kavesh: Is the Range Rover same one, that was parked on the road beside IT office in Marine Lines?
Yes, it was there for some work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
The blue one should be a 115, just a small possibility of being a 114. But not a 108.

Cheers harit
@Harit- He must have inflated the tyres but seeing the time the cars are used, guess must have got deflated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
I have also seen a Rolls Royce at that same place along with the Range Rover and the blue Merc. One of the guards there mentioned that the cars are owned by a Parsi guy named Shroff.
They are (current and previous) Parsi owned cars
Old 25th April 2011, 17:12   #835
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Cheers harit
I thought so at first also Harit but look at the rear lights. Surely you of all people would recognize the difference in the rear lights of a W108 and a W114/115. Else, it could be the angle at which the pic is taken. But i doubt the angle will make the bigger W114/5 lights appear smaller like the w108.

W108 rear lights

Classics being restored in India-w1081.jpg

Classics being restored in India-w1082.jpg

Looks suspiciously like a W114/5 if you dont have the rear S class double bumper doesn't it?

W115 rear lights

Classics being restored in India-w1151.jpg

Name:  W1152.jpg
Views: 1638
Size:  55.1 KB

Quote:
Gogi- The rear lights are similar to the W123.
No No No No No sir..... they are not W123, if anything else.

These are W123 rear lights

Name:  1984_Mercedes_Benz_280e_AMG_Rear_1.jpg
Views: 3702
Size:  107.3 KB

The only possibility i said is maybe the angle and the fact that the rear bumper is missing, so the lights look smaller but then that is the case in the W108 also, without the bumper and at a certain angle, it looks like a W114/5 But from here, in this particular pic, these dont look like W114/5 lights to me. Also the exhaust pipe on the RHS makes this a LHD W108 car. 114/5 never had the exhausts on the RHS they were always on the LHS. Of course i stand to be corrected.

Last edited by V-16 : 25th April 2011 at 17:18.
V-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2011, 17:49   #836
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I thought so at first also Harit but look at the rear lights. Surely you of all people would recognize the difference in the rear lights of a W108 and a W114/115. Else, it could be the angle at which the pic is taken. But i doubt the angle will make the bigger W114/5 lights appear smaller like the w108.

W108 rear lights
Looks suspiciously like a W114/5 if you dont have the rear S class double bumper doesn't it?

W115 rear lights
No No No No No sir..... they are not W123, if anything else.
These are W123 rear lights
The only possibility i said is maybe the angle and the fact that the rear bumper is missing, so the lights look smaller but then that is the case in the W108 also, without the bumper and at a certain angle, it looks like a W114/5 But from here, in this particular pic, these dont look like W114/5 lights to me. Also the exhaust pipe on the RHS makes this a LHD W108 car. 114/5 never had the exhausts on the RHS they were always on the LHS. Of course i stand to be corrected.
Sirjee, you have presented your case very well. If that bumper was not missing we would know for sure. Now I am not. Maybe someone can get up closer.

Cheers harit
Old 25th April 2011, 17:54   #837
Team-BHP Support

I'm pretty certain it is a 108, not 114/5. Closely examine the great pics Gogi has posted, you will see the differences.
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2011, 18:04   #838
BHPian

So much fuss for the tail lamps

Would have been easier, had I called up, but have changed phones so lost some nos.

Gogiji, please pardon my knowledge on merc's

Nevertheless, I repeat it has a horizontal headlamp with two circular lamps. The one below, being yellow in colour.

It has a double bumper like the W116. Registration is MRA something.
Old 25th April 2011, 18:36   #839
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So much fuss for the tail lamps
Nevertheless, I repeat it has a horizontal headlamp with two circular lamps. The one below, being yellow in colour. It has a double bumper like the W116. Registration is MRA something.
Hi Kavesh,
The fuss is about the model, not the tail lamps. They are being used to indicate the model.

If the registration is MRAxxxx, then it must be a 108. In that case the headlight must be vertical, glass slightly bulging. These headlights also came with two round ones stacked upon each other. The first Merc with Horizontal headlights were the 123 and 116, which this is not. I doubt that a modification would have been attempted.
Maybe someone can have a looksy again? And see if it is a 250 or a 280.

Cheers harit
Old 28th April 2011, 11:27   #840
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Kavesh,
The fuss is about the model, not the tail lamps. They are being used to indicate the model.

If the registration is MRAxxxx, then it must be a 108. In that case the headlight must be vertical, glass slightly bulging. These headlights also came with two round ones stacked upon each other. The first Merc with Horizontal headlights were the 123 and 116, which this is not. I doubt that a modification would have been attempted.
Maybe someone can have a looksy again? And see if it is a 250 or a 280.

Cheers harit
I guess i was too zonked with work during the last conversation. Yes, you are right, the lamps are vertical, but they have no glass lens, as I had mentioned just two round lamps. The bumpers in the picture are removed but they were the double bumpers, as Gogi mentioned.

No modification attempted, the owner is a stickler for original stuff.
For his Range rover, he even asked the garage fellow if needs to call for parts from the UK.