Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Old 9th November 2012, 22:58   #901
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Unidentified Vintage and Classic cars in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Khan View Post
Another one awaiting restoration...
Is this one somewhere near Putli Bowli? There was one in a similar metallic blue colour lying in a corner of a garage there (they also had a green mk4 Amby fallen to pieces outside the garae plus a Studebaker rotting inside in another corner)
Its engine had seized as per the garage guys and they couldnt find a replacement.
Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2012, 23:15   #902
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Is this one somewhere near Putli Bowli? There was one in a similar metallic blue colour lying in a corner of a garage there (they also had a green mk4 Amby fallen to pieces outside the garae plus a Studebaker rotting inside in another corner)
Its engine had seized as per the garage guys and they couldnt find a replacement.

Yes,It could be the same car which was at putli bowli X roads had APQ ____ registration, then it was diesel but had got back it petrol engine back and now being done up close to curewell hospital.
Mohammed4rmhyd is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2012, 01:30   #903
BHPian

Quote:

No, this was in a lane before Regal & Shyam Talkies...belongs to the Cure well collector...the other one was @ putli bowli @ Samad Autoworks... that's now ready i am told.
Vintage Khan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2012, 22:44   #904
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
No, this was in a lane before Regal & Shyam Talkies...belongs to the Cure well collector...the other one was @ putli bowli @ Samad Autoworks... that's now ready i am told.
You mean Curewell Hospital at LK'pul? That reminds me- he had this lovely unrestored white Herald that was formerly a Dharampur Raja ownered car, run only 1500+ kms then! Did you see if its' still there with him?
Old 10th November 2012, 23:38   #905
BHPian

Quote:
You mean Curewell Hospital at LK'pul? That reminds me- he had this lovely unrestored white Herald that was formerly a Dharampur Raja ownered car, run only 1500+ kms then! Did you see if its' still there with him?
Yes, the same people...but i cant recall seeing any Heralds in their house which is next to Curewell...may be kept elsewhere...but tht's Herald a with some pedigree then, any idea abt its no. plate?
Vintage Khan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2012, 04:41   #906
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Here is a Dharampur Herald, featured previously on TBHP:

Classics being restored in India-dharampur-herald-frt-3q-med.jpg
travancore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2012, 20:25   #907
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, the same people...but i cant recall seeing any Heralds in their house which is next to Curewell...may be kept elsewhere...but tht's Herald a with some pedigree then, any idea abt its no. plate?
Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
Here is a Dharampur Herald, featured previously on TBHP:
This is not the one I was referring to, this is another one that has been in Hyd. since 1998, I saw it just after it had been brought here then- twas in fact the first Herald I ever sat/rode in!

Incidentally, this pic. was taken by yours truly at the HAIG show @ Secunderabad club in 2009.

The white one with the Curewell owners was this, the red DHARAMPUR plates are still intact under the MEV plates:

Classics being restored in India-img_0555.jpg
Old 28th March 2013, 00:38   #908
Distinguished - BHPian

Just sent to me recently a snap of a 1947 Oldsmobile being restored somewhere in Mumbai. I think this was grey earlier.

Cheers

Name:  image129552184.jpg
Views: 927
Size:  603.6 KB
kasli is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2013, 10:45   #909
Senior - BHPian

Default Morris minor Tourer

This Morris minor tourer is currently being restored in a garage in Bangalore.As per my info it belongs to a Bhpian from Bangalore.
It was previously being restored by another Tbhpian .
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-w...-set-go-7.html
Attached Thumbnails
Classics being restored in India-mm1.jpg  

Classics being restored in India-mm4.jpg  

ajay99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2013, 11:32   #910
BHPian

Default Re: Morris minor Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
This Morris minor tourer is currently being restored in a garage in Bangalore.As per my info it belongs to a Bhpian from Bangalore.
It was previously being restored by another Tbhpian .
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-w...-set-go-7.html
There is a lovely red beetle in front of it...might be a super beetle going by the tail lights, bumpers, bumper guards etc
67Bug is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2013, 11:46   #911
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Bug View Post
There is a lovely red beetle in front of it...might be a super beetle going by the tail lights, bumpers, bumper guards etc
It is indeed a Super beetle, but sadly LHD.
Old 28th March 2013, 12:31   #912
BHPian

Quote:
What is so sad about LHD Cars? I have always believed that LHD vehicles are overall better than RHD ones as they were meant mostly for US market where the safety regulations were more stringent than countries where RHD vehicles were sent.
67Bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2013, 12:45   #913
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Classics being restored in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post
Just sent to me recently a snap of a 1947 Oldsmobile being restored somewhere in Mumbai. I think this was grey earlier. Cheers
Is this in that filmwallahs bungalow compound in Andheri?
If this was grey earlier, then he has two more, one was once painted as a taxi in black + yellow for a shoot.

Cheers harit
harit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2013, 13:18   #914
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Bug View Post
What is so sad about LHD Cars? I have always believed that LHD vehicles are overall better than RHD ones as they were meant mostly for US market where the safety regulations were more stringent than countries where RHD vehicles were sent.
I mentioned so in the context of INDIA where using an LHD car in the roads is very cumbersome.Moreover I understand that in some places re registering LHD cars is being discouraged.That is why LHD cars of the same marque have lesser value than RHD version eg:an LHD W123 will usually be valued much less than an RHD W123
Regarding LHD vehicles are better than RHD ones,I dont believe that surmise. Your point regarding safety regulations is a valid one.But one doesnt rate a car/model based on its safety features alone,if that was so then VOLVO cars would have sold much more than its competitors!!
Old 28th March 2013, 15:33   #915
BHPian

Quote:
Would you have a full photograph of the Beetle, please, especially of the nose?

Quote:
I mentioned so in the context of INDIA where using an LHD car in the roads is very cumbersome.
Talking of the steering orientation, I used to quite enjoy driving LHDs here. Overtaking slowcoaches trundling along in the fast lane on the right was easier in a lefty (and I'm one too myself, btw!!), transforming irritation caused by the roadhog into a pleasurable, opportunistic manoeuvre!

Quote:
Your point regarding safety regulations is a valid one.But one doesnt rate a car/model based on its safety features alone,if that was so then VOLVO cars would have sold much more than its competitors!!
True that! Moreover, any management (especially marketing) guru who can accurately work out what exactly will make a vehicle sell well in our market, has surely got women all figured out well too! Any way, the performance of new Volvo passenger vehicles in our market currently notwithstanding, I can assure you that it caused me a fair amount of consternation to sell my 244 at a quarter of what an Isuzu Aska was fetching in Delhi in the late 80s! But then, I replaced it with yet another Volvo. Only, the second time around, I too now bought it used!!
Prabal is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote