Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Old 7th August 2007, 12:51   #16
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech View Post
I believe Cuba is another place just bursting with vintage treasures. And I think they have similar restrictions there as well. Have you ever explored that option?
True but a lot of them are now powered by Lada transplants
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2007, 01:22   #17
Senior - BHPian

yes ajmat its a sad state of affairs. what a waste of the originality of the cars. some real nice cars gone to waste
speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2007, 08:37   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
True but a lot of them are now powered by Lada transplants
Besides many other local adaptations....:(
But then of course its not them to blame but a result of the US embargo they've had since 1959.
Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2007, 13:29   #19
Senior - BHPian

but stanher could'nt the people have gotten parts for their cars. i'm sure they could have managed something.
Old 8th August 2007, 15:32   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
but stanher could'nt the people have gotten parts for their cars. i'm sure they could have managed something.
Belive me, import/export laws are worse than what we suffered in the 1970's. Communism at its most stringent. Only cars that came in were Lada's and other east european cars. Add to that US sanctions and there is very little forex. Limited japanes cars and some others came in for tourism and bureaucrats though. Hence the common man had to improvise
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2007, 15:52   #21
Team-BHP Support

Not all the cars there are lost causes. Take a look at these: Linky
Rtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2007, 16:26   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Belive me, import/export laws are worse than what we suffered in the 1970's. Communism at its most stringent. Only cars that came in were Lada's and other east european cars. Add to that US sanctions and there is very little forex. Limited japanes cars and some others came in for tourism and bureaucrats though. Hence the common man had to improvise
ok thank you for the information ajmat. so i guess i know where to get body shells from.
Old 7th October 2007, 23:10   #23
BHPian

The guy who wants to take the Bentley out of the country will be unable to do so as the car is a rare model.

I think that he should spend time trying to find someone to keep the car running till he returns.
supercars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2008, 06:26   #24
BHPian

Please refer to one of my earlier posts on this issue ...
[quote] Hi,
I had contacted the customs department in Kochi to clarify the present rules regarding import of cars under Transfer of Residence ( T.R) and regarding import of spares (used and new ), engines ......I am posting the reply I got from the customs dept here...

Customs Help Centre Query No.252

Import of vehicles to India is restricted and subject to conditions. In the case of individuals, a car owned by him abroad at least for one year prior to import only shall be allowed, on his return to India for permanent settlement after continuous two year stay abroad, provided the vehicle has right hand steering and controls.

1)There is no restriction on age / C.C etc., if above conditions are fulfilled

2). Depreciation shall be @ 16%, 12%, 10%, 8% and so on, maximum depreciation shall be 70%

3) Import of used items (including Engine) is restricted and hence, shall be imported only under specific licence. However, there is no restriction for import of new items. Total duty works out to 34.3%I hope this will throw some light on the issue..
Cheers !!

Regrds...
Peeve
peeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2008, 05:17   #25
BHPian

Interesting, could the guy provide us with the last word on export laws so as to make this thread complete.
Advocatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2008, 23:43   #26
BHPian

I am being offered a BMW R 90 S of 1976 make. The present owner is in Chile(South America).
I had requested the forum for guidance into getting the bike to India, after which I was diverted to this thread.
My question still remains the same, as to, what is the procedure required to import the bike to our country? I feel that there would be a way out.
susan3004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2008, 13:16   #27

Default Import of Vintages

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan3004 View Post
I am being offered a BMW R 90 S of 1976 make. The present owner is in Chile(South America).
I had requested the forum for guidance into getting the bike to India, after which I was diverted to this thread.
My question still remains the same, as to, what is the procedure required to import the bike to our country? I feel that there would be a way out.
Hello .
I have wanted an R90S for years and years so if you manage it cheers: and please tell me how you did it . Firstly from whatever I have found out, one cannot import a vehicle to India that is more than 3 years old - period ! Another huge problem would be EURO II - our cities will not register the bike at the RTO's unless it is EURO II or III. The only route I see possible is if you are on TR or know someone on TR who has owned the vehicle for a minimum of one year before arriving in the country. Then he can bring it in but still has to pay close to 182% of the assessed (ad-hock) value of the bike (valued on Cost Insurance and Freight ).
Now there is always a way out - and one of them is to say "BINDAAS" and import it. When it lands here, be prepared to go and pay fines and penalties . They will first ask ridiculous values and you have to play the great game of ping pong back and forth. FINALLY, if you mutually settle a price, you pay the fines, penalties AND BRIBES, and then clear it through customs . STAGE 1. Ok that done, then I am told comes the new challenge of registering at the RTO. No Indian papers, RTO is under no obligation to register it. They will put you through the grind. They will extract their kilos of flesh and then perhaps you may get it registered .

So, the road is not easy for sure. Can it be done ? i am sure it can....but at what cost to self, budget and peace of mind ?

I am an Airhead fan for the past 20 years and have been examining the import regulations very closely lately. The above is the crux of my findings and I wish you luck. Do tell me more about your interests - one does not find too many R series fans about in India.
OceanBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2008, 13:26   #28

[quote=peeve;724766]Please refer to one of my earlier posts on this issue ...
Quote:
Hi,
I had contacted the customs department in Kochi to clarify the present rules regarding import of cars under Transfer of Residence ( T.R) and regarding import of spares (used and new ), engines ......I am posting the reply I got from the customs dept here...

Customs Help Centre Query No.252

Import of vehicles to India is restricted and subject to conditions. In the case of individuals, a car owned by him abroad at least for one year prior to import only shall be allowed, on his return to India for permanent settlement after continuous two year stay abroad, provided the vehicle has right hand steering and controls.

1)There is no restriction on age / C.C etc., if above conditions are fulfilled

2). Depreciation shall be @ 16%, 12%, 10%, 8% and so on, maximum depreciation shall be 70%

3) Import of used items (including Engine) is restricted and hence, shall be imported only under specific licence. However, there is no restriction for import of new items. Total duty works out to 34.3%I hope this will throw some light on the issue..
Cheers !!

Regrds...
Peeve
Does this not contradict reason ? The Custom's stud says there is no restriction on "Age....." What if the car is NEW ? Age = under 1 year . So how can you own it for one year prior to import ?!?!?! This is the problem - their heads are so full of wool they cant even write one passage without contradicting themselves .....

If one could buy any age bike and import it - then that means 0 days old or 1000 days old or 20000 days old. So one line they say it has to be minimum 365 days old (...has to own for one year etc) and another line they say "no restriction on age..."
Dumb *****S !!!!!!
OceanBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2009, 20:36   #29
BANNED

Importing Vintage cars.
As i have found out ,India does not allow the Import of Vintage and Classic cars.You can only bring it on a Carnet for 6 months.To get a Vitage car imported to India ,to keep it here permanantly you will have go through a lot of HOOPLAHS.
Sunil Som is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2009, 12:56   #30

Default Custom regulations

Dear Oceanbreeze,
the custom gentleman's reply is somewhat similar to the one I got out here in Calcutta when I was planning to import a chevy on my back from America.What I've understood is that if you're an individual, i.e, you're not importing on behalf of a hotel or a car dealership etc, you have to reside there for at least 2 years and the car you're importing must be atleast a year old and preferably bought by you atleast a year back.In other words, you go to US in June 2007, in july 2008 you buy a new pontiac and in August 2009 you come back with the pontiac.This is a very simplistic example of what is permissible.By age no restrictions,in the above case, it would mean that instead of buying a new pontiac in 2008, if you had bought an old pontiac that would be ok too by the customs people.There are some complex subsections and loopholes which people do use when they import vintage cars which actually involves under the table transactions
coomar is offline   Reply With Quote