Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Old 27th March 2009, 15:40   #31
Senior - BHPian

Not to mention you end up paying a duty of close to 200% (including penalty for cars older than 3 years) where as a car of upto 3 years old attracts something like 135% or so which is where the under the table bit comes in but then with DRI these day confiscating cars for underassesing car values whilst paying duty I think that to is out the window so in effect your vinatage pontiac will be prohibitively expensive I think.
canonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2009, 16:21   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Bug View Post
Yes bhai. Accident and guess who was responsible? My then 3 year old old son..who moved the auto trans from "P" to "D" whilst his dad had just stepped out to close the garage door. The car banged into a wall and luckily not a scratch on my son's body....but the vehicle damaged beyond repairs and had to be scrapped and with it all my hopes of getting the car to India under TR
Dude can you explain this TR process to me, my Brother in Law is moving back to India next year from Australia, can he buy a W107 (or something else intresting) now and move it back with him next year?
the mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2009, 16:51   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
Dude can you explain this TR process to me, my Brother in Law is moving back to India next year from Australia, can he buy a W107 (or something else intresting) now and move it back with him next year?
Let us talk in the evening, mate.
67Bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2009, 22:37   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
The rules are clear. Car not older than 3 years? Must be in your name, i. e. the importers for what, 6 to 12 months? must be RHD.
If you do not comply, then it is a lottery

Cheers harit

Last edited by harit : 10th August 2009 at 22:43.
harit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2009, 23:33   #35
Team-BHP Support

I think cars older than 3 years are exempt for TR only thing is that you should have actually owned it
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2009, 10:07   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
I think cars older than 3 years are exempt for TR only thing is that you should have actually owned it
Well here is the TR process as per my understanding:
  1. The person importing must have had a continous stay of atleast 2 years outside of India.
  2. The car MUST be registered in his name (with all taxes paid) for alteast 1 year prior to importing in India.
  3. It must be RHD vehicle
  4. Maximum depreciation allowed would be 70% on orginal purchase value of the car.
  5. Duty is leviable on CIF and works out to between 110%-130% of CIF value.
  6. The importer cannot sell the car for 2 years post registering it in India.
Old 12th August 2009, 13:17   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
The rules are clear. Car not older than 3 years? Must be in your name, i. e. the importers for what, 6 to 12 months? must be RHD.
If you do not comply, then it is a lottery

Cheers harit
Not too sure about the 3 yr old limit. What i've heard from agents is can get any RHD car provided the person bringing the TR has owned it abroad for atleast a year.
The catch however is that customs people will not necessarily believe your price for calculating the duty. They may charge you duty on any price they think is right. Thats where the 'negotiation' process comes in.

Last edited by manishk123 : 12th August 2009 at 13:21. Reason: missed out something
manishk123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2009, 13:45   #38
BHPian

Check here - Rules for Importing cars

Import of Car

Embassy of India, Copenhagen -- Rules for importing cars into India

Import of Car by NRIs

All the best
girishpv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2009, 14:12   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Quote:
Well here is the TR process as per my understanding:
  1. The person importing must have had a continous stay of atleast 2 years outside of India.
  2. The car MUST be registered in his name (with all taxes paid) for alteast 1 year prior to importing in India.
  3. It must be RHD vehicle
  4. Maximum depreciation allowed would be 70% on orginal purchase value of the car.
  5. Duty is leviable on CIF and works out to between 110%-130% of CIF value.
  6. The importer cannot sell the car for 2 years post registering it in India.

Do these same rules apply to classic cars ?
IndrojitSircar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2009, 14:33   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
Do these same rules apply to classic cars ?
Sir,

This topic was discussed couple of times here and no correct answer for Importing Classic cars.

RULES

(II). The import of second had or used vehicles should be subject to the following conditions:-

* The second hand or used vehicle shall not be older than 3 years from the date of manufacture;
* The second hand or used vehicle shall:
* Contain right hand steering, and controls (applicable on vehicles other than two and three wheelers);
* Contain speedometer indicating the speed km / h; and
* Contain photometry of the headlamps to suit “keep left” traffic.

* (c) Additionally, the second hand or used vehicle should conform to the provisions of the Motor Vehicle Act, 1988 and the rules made therein, as applicable, on the date of import.

* (d) Import of second hand vehicles shall be permitted only through the customs port at Mumbai.

* (e) The second hand or used vehicles imported into India shall have a minimum roadworthiness for a period of five years from the date of importation into India with assurance for offering service facilities within the nation during the five year period. For this cause, the importer shall, at the time of importation, submit a declaration indicating the period of roadworthiness in respect of every individual vehicle being imported, supported by a certificate issued by any of the testing agencies, which the Central Government may notify in this regard.

* (f) The vehicle has to be submitted for testing to Vehicle Research and Development Establishment (VRDE), Ahmednagar, of the Ministry of Defence or the Automotive Research Association of India, Pune or the Central Farm and Machinery Training and Testing Institute, Budni, Madhya Pradesh, and such other agencies as may be specified by the Central Government, for granting a certificate by that agency as to the compliance of the provisions of the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988 and any rules made thereunder

Check here for new car imports

Vehicle Import: Rules & Regulations for Importing Cars in India

If any fellow members have friends in Indian Customs, can they get more information on importing Classics cars or bikes ?????

regards
Old 12th August 2009, 21:34   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishpv View Post
Sir,

* The second hand or used vehicle shall not be older than 3 years from the date of manufacture;
Well if thats the case then I've seen quite a few cars being imported that are past 3 years from the date of manufacture.

For example if you go on the Super car imports section and check the Kerela imports section, you'll see that an R34 Nissan Skyline GTR has been imported, which is definetely not less than 3 years of manufacture.

Don't mean to sound rude or anything, just wanted to point that out.
krazyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2009, 22:22   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazyking View Post
Well if thats the case then I've seen quite a few cars being imported that are past 3 years from the date of manufacture.

For example if you go on the Super car imports section and check the Kerela imports section, you'll see that an R34 Nissan Skyline GTR has been imported, which is definetely not less than 3 years of manufacture.

Don't mean to sound rude or anything, just wanted to point that out.
Yes,
The rules says so.......
Then I think under the table dealing...........or pay more fine ????

cheers
Old 13th August 2009, 10:04   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishpv View Post
Yes,
The rules says so.......
Then I think under the table dealing...........or pay more fine ????

cheers
I don't think the 3 year rule applies to TR. It does for normal course of import (Non-TR) related ones.
Old 13th August 2009, 10:34   #44
BHPian

Quote:
I don't think the 3 year rule applies to TR. It does for normal course of import (Non-TR) related ones.
Ohh. Are you sure about that?

Because I was planning to import my Jag to Mumbai on TR basis, but it seems soo complicated and then I saw the rule of it had to be 3 years within date of manufacture. But if thats not the case, I might consider it again.
krazyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2009, 12:26   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazyking View Post
Ohh. Are you sure about that?

Because I was planning to import my Jag to Mumbai on TR basis, but it seems soo complicated and then I saw the rule of it had to be 3 years within date of manufacture. But if thats not the case, I might consider it again.
I am almost certain on this one. One of my friends acquaintances recently imported a 98 Mini Rover under TR to India from UK.