Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Old 14th July 2007, 11:49   #1
BHPian

Default How I missed out on a Classic.

Guys am feeling down and out today. The reason being that I just missed out on a 1954 Hillman Second owner car by an hour or so. This is what happens if you spend more time on the main news and read the classifieds in your daily newspaper only at the fag end of your morning.

To elaborate, was excited when I read in the classifieds of the Deccan Chronicle today and read this ad which said "For Sale 1954 Hillman MkVI Original British Classic, Second owner useable as is" and the numbers. By the time I called them to enquire I heard this nice elderly voice just softly telling me "No Baba, the car is already sold na". Well, my heart sank when I heard this but mustered up the courage to enquire as to the price it sold for and was told it went for 30K. This figure was very much in my budget and would have loved to use this as my foray into vintages.

The moral of the story is: Check the classifieds first thing in the morning so that you aren't beaten by a mile by the time you reach your goal (in my case a classic car to restore/run).

Well, now yet another reason why I had started a separate thread on this is for people to relate their tales of woe or sagas of success for the rest of us to know. On doing this, the added advantage, would be that we would get a basic idea as to what would be a ball park figure to pay for these classics. This, by far seems to be a mystery for newbies like me.

So fellow BHPians please do list out the ball park figures for the rest of us to benefit.
suren181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2007, 13:50   #2
Senior - BHPian

poor dear.....!!
you have been on the look for a restoration job for quite a while now and this happened to you.

@stanher, i guess you can help suren find one. (OH!, he was thinking about a standard herald)
kkr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2007, 16:24   #3
BANNED

there is one in my compound in pune....bechara the thing is in the dumps....the owner is out of the country.....car tires are flat but has minimal rust and a good body line....dont know if she will ever start again....god bless her poor soul....
Cyrus43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2007, 16:37   #4
Senior - BHPian

hmmm... dats sad man!!! i know how u feel... i missed out on a landmaster in somewhat the same way, single owner-20,000!!!!
JayD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2007, 18:49   #5
Senior - BHPian

Suren, dont brood over it. You'll get another affordable classic to start with. Think of this as if it were not meant for you. Dont cry over spilt milk bud, cheer up!!
V-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2007, 20:12   #6
Senior - BHPian

There was a Triumph Herald that I used to see everyday on my trip to college. I saw that car for 5 years but didnt have the money. The day I could scrape enough money I went to the owner only to be told the car was sold 1 day back.

To add insult to injury he also told me that the car was equipped not with the 948cc Standard engine, but a 1300 cc unit fed by weber DCOEs, with a full header and freeflow exhaust, along with SAH limited slip differential.

The car was given away for 25k. Worst day of my life.
ananthkamath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2007, 22:11   #7
Team-BHP Support

No sweat Suren. Let me tell you right now, great cars will slip out of your hand time and time again. We cant have all of them now can we? I lost 2 original paint low milage single owner heralds, one for 17k, the other for 7! A great condition single owner Triumph Herald 1200cc for 17k (again!), but the one that pains me the most is I REFUSED a Lambretta LD shaft drive scooter for 2k... They move for near a lakh these days.

Just have patience, the right car will come to you. If you want it bad enough that is.
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2007, 00:19   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
....but the one that pains me the most is I REFUSED a Lambretta LD shaft drive scooter for 2k... They move for near a lakh these days.
do you mean 1 lakh indian rupees???
damn!!, i didnt knew they are so priced ones. Saw one few weeks back for 7k in a classifieds - blue white combination, but not sure about the model you are talking about. Will keep an eye on those from now on.
kkr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2007, 00:39   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
do you mean 1 lakh indian rupees???
damn!!, i didnt knew they are so priced ones. Saw one few weeks back for 7k in a classifieds - blue white combination, but not sure about the model you are talking about. Will keep an eye on those from now on.
Well, if you can recollect was this one the most common series 2 (looks like this

http://www.plvsc.co.uk/members_scoot..._Lambretta.jpg

Karl was referring to the much older (& rarer!) LD:

http://www.lambrettatradicionalbrasi.../lam150_57.jpg

Incidentally, even I regret having not gone ahead on a series 1 'centre headlight' Lambretta I saw at vizag 4 years ago....(you'll find a pic. of it i nthe rust in pieces thread) although it was a junked one, it could've been restored easily & the mechanic who had it sitting at his place sold it to the scrappers at 1k (& I believe the horncast itself of this model goeas @ 3k now! ) & I've recently heard the same scooter was rescued by a Sikh gent from Hyd. then itself & eventually ended up with another vintage bike colelctor here......no idea about its present status......

Oh, and yeah.......I too missed out on 2 very original Heralds, one of them a RARE early (1962) model here which went @40k (I went upto 35k last) around 2 years ago...I was discouraged from paying that much for it then, while ironically, I heard of a less-rare & less-original (converted to soft-top rather crudely!) example here that was done up & went for 1 lakh odd a few months ago....!

Last edited by Stanher : 15th July 2007 at 00:43.
Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2007, 15:25   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
I heard of a less-rare & less-original (converted to soft-top rather crudely!) example here that was done up & went for 1 lakh odd a few months ago....!
What?!

omigawd
v1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2007, 21:12   #11
BHPian

1 owner family Rolls silver ghost, 1913... 4 lakhs!!! even though it was 1989 and 4 lakhs was a decent sum. took too much time to think it over. car still there but will never be sold.
several post war rolls/bentleys,under 2 lakhs, a PAIR of MarkV jaguars for 1.5 lakhs... 70 Plymouth Cuda AAR, asking 70k... 47 Studebaker Commander conv. 80K 46 Lincoln V12 Conv. asking 3 lakhs... 34 rover 12 sporstman saloon, asking 25k .1 parsi owner Citroen Traction Avant, sold for 4k (yes Rs 4000)!!!
very recently, 64 Buick Riviera, asking 2 lakhs.missed 1970 Mercedes 600 SWB at STC auction by 3k!!
in most cases documents were not complete/correct/existing or owner ship disputed, so better to steer clear. but i have no regrets, i did get hold of a 1939 Lagonda V12 Rapide roadster. (it was not cheap though) :-)
awini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2007, 23:21   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, I got my 1962 Herald ('as is where is' condition) by giving the owner a roadworthy '90 fiat/padmini bought for 18k (he'd wanted a Standard Super 10 but couldnt find one then!) + a topping of Rs. 10k....and now to go for a complete "nut & bolt" restoration....papers all present with signature of the last registered owner (before the previous owner), regn. expired more than 10 years ago though! I believe the penalty here for re-registration is Rs. 450/year...hmm......is it all worth it??
I'd say YES......considering that this happens to be NOT just ANY Herald (as most people would take it for) but a RARE, EARLY Herald, with features unique to that model year (1962) only! VERY few original examples left....
Only, as I'd earlier stated, I'd missed out on a similar model, a 2-owner 100% complete/original example here in Hyderabd itself, which went for 40k that I was reluctant to pay.....am I now paying the price for my earlier analytical stubbornness?? I couldnt say.....!
Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2007, 12:50   #13
BHPian

SUREN, if you still interested? dont lose heart theres one up for grabs on ebay..HILLMAN MINX SALOON 1951 BICOLOUR FULLY RESTORED PETROL, take a look, car is in Goa, with Mumbai plates..
TRANSAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2007, 12:44   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Well, I got my 1962 Herald ('as is where is' condition) by giving the owner a roadworthy '90 fiat/padmini bought for 18k (he'd wanted a Standard Super 10 but couldnt find one then!) + a topping of Rs. 10k....and now to go for a complete "nut & bolt" restoration....papers all present with signature of the last registered owner (before the previous owner), regn. expired more than 10 years ago though! I believe the penalty here for re-registration is Rs. 450/year...hmm......is it all worth it??
I'd say YES......considering that this happens to be NOT just ANY Herald (as most people would take it for) but a RARE, EARLY Herald, with features unique to that model year (1962) only! VERY few original examples left....
Only, as I'd earlier stated, I'd missed out on a similar model, a 2-owner 100% complete/original example here in Hyderabd itself, which went for 40k that I was reluctant to pay.....am I now paying the price for my earlier analytical stubbornness?? I couldnt say.....!
Are any of these still available shyam??
R32_GTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2007, 12:58   #15
BHPian

Thanks a ton V16, Stanher, Awini, kkr, karlosdeville, ananthkamath, JayD, Cyrus and others for the kind words and confidence that you guys have instilled in me for my quest. TRANSAM: Thanks for the info bro am visiting ebay.in for further info.

It was sad to note that there are people who have missed out much more opportunities to own these beauties... The tales related by awini, karlos, JayD, Stanher and the rest has just made me realise that it takes loads of patience in the wait for luck to smile upon you. Am going to be patient as ever and quick at the draw when the opportunity strikes. So please do keep the info of classics pouring in, this would help me and fellow bhpians.

Thanks to all of you who have mentioned figures, it really helps as a guideline for me and others. So, please keep them coming.
suren181 is offline   Reply With Quote