Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Old 21st August 2009, 19:38   #1951
BANNED

Default Premier 118NE

SORRY

I always wondered why nobody restores a Premier 118NE?? Isn't it a lovely car of old times. Or at least just own one. Fiat lovers like Mr. President and Behram Dhabhar Sir own so many Fiats buts not an NE.

I expected Behram Dhabhar Sir to own one as he worked for PAL.

In Bangalore i find daily two to three NEs' broken. Few look really good.

Any particular reason why nobody uses this car any more???
arun1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2009, 19:53   #1952
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100 View Post
SORRY

I always wondered why nobody restores a Premier 118NE?? Isn't it a lovely car of old times. Or at least just own one. Fiat lovers like Mr. President and Behram Dhabhar Sir own so many Fiats buts not an NE.

I expected Behram Dhabhar Sir to own one as he worked for PAL.

In Bangalore i find daily two to three NEs' broken. Few look really good.

Any particular reason why nobody uses this car any more???
Well Arun the 118NE's had a bad tendency to rust away, so very very few good cars survived the Mumbai weather, my neigbour had one. had only 12,000 kilometers since new was mostly garaged and hardly ever used, last year it was scrapped. The body work needed was so extensive that no one wanted the car even for free. And all this just sitting in the garage for 17yrs or so. Compare this with another car say a Maruti1000 I have one from 1992, till today the car is solid.
the mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2009, 20:29   #1953
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Arun - well, there are 2 very good 118NEs in Pune. I asked both owners. One Parsi lady said that "it will go with me to my grave" and another South Indian gentleman did not remember me after some time (poor fellow seems to have a medical condition), so I gave up. Then there is a very good car in Nasik but the owner just does not want to part with it. As Amol said, you must start with a fairly good car otherwise its of no use. It is a fantastic car, I was its project design engineer and test engineer. I have covered 1171 kms (New Delhi to Navsari, my hometown in Gujarat) in one day in 1988, 10 days before my son Cyrus (Cyrus43 on the forum, now 21 years old) was born. It drives like a bomb. The Nissan aggregates are wonderful. One of my test cars MZM7256 covered 3.5 lakh kms on the same engine and transmission but the body had to be changed 2 times. It was a test car so it was OK. However, it has has 3 very bad defects. 1 - corrosion beyond imagination. 2 - front suspension collapse. 3 - transverse rod mounting bracket on the body breaking. 1 and 2 are tolerable but if 3 happens on the road, you will lose control completely. It has happened to me 2 times in my test cars, once on the VRDE high speed track and once on the Thane creek bridge. If I ever buy one, I'll first reinforce the transverse rod mounting bracket. I know how to do it but nobody would listen.

Therefore, the best car would be a Padmini with the Nissan engine and Nissan transmission. We did all the engineering, even made prototype parts and sub frame but it never saw light of day. Sad but true. However, some part of the system was introduced in Padmini production around 1996. The steering tie rods were moved back by 15 mm by modifying body tooling in this area, to be ready to recieve the Nissan engine when needed. I suggest you look for a 1996 / 97 Padmini which has this engineering change done and then use it as a starting block to change the engine to Nissan. I've got this at the back of my mind. I must get a car with the engineered parts first. I am attaching a photograph of a Padmini S1 having these engineering changes.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Attached Images

Last edited by DHABHAR.BEHRAM : 21st August 2009 at 20:41. Reason: add info
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2009, 20:47   #1954
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Arun -

Therefore, the best car would be a Padmini with the Nissan engine and Nissan transmission. We did all the engineering, even made prototype parts and sub frame but it never saw light of day. Sad but true. However, some part of the system was introduced in Padmini production around 1996. The steering tie rods were moved back by 15 mm by modifying body tooling in this area, to be ready to recieve the Nissan engine when needed. I suggest you look for a 1996 / 97 Padmini which has this engineering change done and then use it as a starting block to change the engine to Nissan. I've got this at the back of my mind. I must get a car with the engineered parts first.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Tears almost rolled out of my eyes when i read about plans of Padmini with Nissan engine fitted in factory. Wish it had happened. I was so impressed when i drove a Padmini S1(superb condition, 30000 kms driven). It was so smooth and sounded very pleasant. Padmini with a Nissan Engine would be a dream for Padmini lovers.
arun1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2009, 22:18   #1955
Senior - BHPian

Default Some club cars in action

Some more flickr shots of our club cars.

The Elegant is "the presidents"
the Fiat 600 "67 bug"

mirror mirror on the wall who is the most elegant of them all.
Attached Images

Last edited by the mole : 21st August 2009 at 22:20.
Old 21st August 2009, 22:39   #1956
BHPian

and........I just got amazed seeing the pic of our Elegant posted here by Amol in black and white, so thought of sharing the coloured version that I had with you guys.

Name:  000.jpg
Views: 1110
Size:  164.0 KB
President is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2009, 22:57   #1957
BANNED

As Ravi said, on the last page, Let us all meet up. If you guys remember, last year, we did a meet in the parking lot opposite Regal Cinema. Do you guys want to meet there again?? And then Breakfast at Mondegars??...
Cyrus43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2009, 22:59   #1958
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by President View Post
and........I just got amazed seeing the pic of our Elegant posted here by Amol in black and white, so thought of sharing the coloured version that I had with you guys.

Attachment 178541
The sight of 2171 racing down in full livery makes me droool.. !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
As Ravi said, on the last page, Let us all meet up. If you guys remember, last year, we did a meet in the parking lot opposite Regal Cinema. Do you guys want to meet there again?? And then Breakfast at Mondegars??...
Mondegar ! I'm in guys. Yum yum ! Sometimes I wonder what makes us drool more ? Fiats, or Food !
SuperSelect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2009, 23:25   #1959
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
Mondegar ! I'm in guys. Yum yum ! Sometimes I wonder what makes us drool more ? Fiats, or Food !
I was just surfing Team Bhp and suddenly read about Mondegar, Food and FIATS being mentioned by Cyrus and Ravi. Mouth started watering. Cannot wait till Sunday for breakfast. So thought of posting this pic in the meantime of the last trip we had there and get everyone ready for this Sunday 23rd August. JAMVA CHALO JI!!!!
Fiat Classic Car Club - Mumbai-cimg5039.jpg

Fiat Classic Car Club - Mumbai-cimg5040.jpg
Old 21st August 2009, 23:31   #1960
BANNED

This Sunday?? ISnt that a little too early? I dont mind..afterall, its food!! But maybe a few other members may not be able to make it.
Old 21st August 2009, 23:35   #1961
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
However, it has has 3 very bad defects. 1 - corrosion beyond imagination. 2 - front suspension collapse. 3 - transverse rod mounting bracket on the body breaking. 1 and 2 are tolerable but if 3 happens on the road, you will lose control completely.

Therefore, the best car would be a Padmini with the Nissan engine and Nissan transmission.
Behram Dhabhar sir,

1. when the 118 NE came under Peugeot control did it stopped rotting as advertised (though it was almost end of an era). Those will be good cars.

2. mid way through her life the engine and carb setup was changed, you must be knowing why?? I had very nasty experience running the nissan engined car on alternative fuels, no issue with the later models with mikuni carburettor.

3. Are you aware of the concept Premier Padmini. The engine designed by AVL Australia, don't remember who built the dody (was shown years ago in Auto India). the exterior was more rounded with new front and rear lights. the green house remained the same. the interiors put to ashame even current generation maruti . I have lost all my collection of books .

4. How about a dukkar fiat with 118 NE set up, though lacks originality but rides like a bomb.
manishalive is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2009, 23:37   #1962
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This Sunday?? ISnt that a little too early? I dont mind..afterall, its food!! But maybe a few other members may not be able to make it.
Your right this Sunday is Ganapati, so I am not sure too many folks can make it. There will also be lot of rush in the street and I dont eat meat on that day, so whats the use?
Old 21st August 2009, 23:52   #1963
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by President View Post
I was just surfing Team Bhp and suddenly read about Mondegar, JAMVA CHALO JI!!!!
No fair, there're non-Mumbaikars fond of Mondy too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
Yum yum ! Sometimes I wonder what makes us drool more ? Fiats, or Food !
That's two of the essential effs taken care of!

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
3. Are you aware of the concept Premier Padmini. The engine designed by AVL Australia, don't remember who built the dody (was shown years ago in Auto India). the exterior was more rounded with new front and rear lights. the green house remained the same. the interiors put to ashame even current generation maruti.
Well I remember who built that body; 'twas an American co. Let the gurus fill in the rest of the details!
Prabal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2009, 00:03   #1964
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
Your right this Sunday is Ganapati, so I am not sure too many folks can make it. There will also be lot of rush in the street and I dont eat meat on that day, so whats the use?
Oh! I'm soh sorry. Didn't realise its gonna be Ganpati this Sunday. Not a problem though. We'll postpone for some other Sunday and unfailingly meet up.
Old 22nd August 2009, 00:09   #1965
BANNED

Lets Plan this for the 6th of September. It will be Brilliant. Also, it will be our monthly meet too.