Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Old 23rd December 2009, 00:05   #2476
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
On the air cleaner, please - someone respond - I have one of each, and need to decide which one..

@manish: There should not be any toggle switch in the circled area. Just the jewel light above, nothing else. To the left of the speedo, there should be a jewel light above and a toggle switch below.

BTW what is this left side toggle switch for ? In my SS, I've used it to switch on the electric fuel pump.
Yes, I too have the same opinion Ravi. I have observed so many cars, on the RH have not noticed any toggle switch, only one jewel light thats all and on the LH jewel light above and a toggle switch below just like in my 5655.
digamber_yadav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2009, 00:15   #2477
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Hello Digamber - So ----- it is you who has saved the car just in time from "there". Good. It came to you without wheelcaps, right? No points for guessing who has them now. By the way, the engine used to idle very badly. Hope it is sorted out now. Good buy. Start doing it up now.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Sirjee yes you have said it right, the engine used to idle very badly it had a choked slow jet which was cleaned by our great Adheesh and he is very seriously planning to tune it once I complete some minor works in the workshop.
digamber_yadav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2009, 09:56   #2478
Senior - BHPian

@ Digamber & Ravi:

The Left Side (near Ignition Key) toggle switch should be a spring loaded on one side and is the switch for the wiper actuation. I give below the picture of the Same, original Sepia make.

Having said that The other two switches (on the meter) one is for switching the Instrument panel Lights the other for switching Head and Tail lights. Now this I am not sure of. Can Any one confirm. Which one does what.

Cause All reference that I get is of American And European models Where they had 4 toggle switches. (one for the AC Fan).

Name:  Switch.JPG
Views: 3006
Size:  5.5 KB

Also can Gurus Confirm of the Cutout relay, is that original or is aftermarket from the pictures given. It reads PMP which I believe is an Indian Brand. Also Attached is a picture of relay from jay leno's car which sports the Brown relay the one that I have bought.

Name:  FiatMillecento_05.jpg
Views: 1665
Size:  34.4 KB

Last edited by manishalive : 23rd December 2009 at 10:07.
manishalive is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2009, 10:45   #2479
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamber_yadav View Post
Sirjee yes you have said it right, the engine used to idle very badly it had a choked slow jet which was cleaned by our great Adheesh and he is very seriously planning to tune it once I complete some minor works in the workshop.
The car was running on incorrect jet-venturi combinations. Things have been partly sorted out but a lot more has to be done !! I am sure this car is going to be a stunner once completely restored.

Best Regards,
Adheesh Parelkar
adheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2009, 10:56   #2480
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations Digamber, dont worry too much about getting everything right at this stage my friend abhi to sirf ek start hai. Its important to get the car up and running and reliable first, as time goes on I am sure you will get all the bits and pieces of the jigsaw puzzle Meanwhile drive the car and enjoy the ride.
the mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2009, 11:10   #2481
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
The Left Side (near Ignition Key) toggle switch should be a spring loaded on one side and is the switch for the wiper actuation. I give below the picture of the Same, original Sepia make.

Having said that The other two switches (on the meter) one is for switching the Instrument panel Lights the other for switching Head and Tail lights. Now this I am not sure of. Can Any one confirm. Which one does what.
In my car, and according to my mech the right switch on the meter is for parking lights AND headlights (which are further controlled by stalks), and the left is for the wipers..

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamber_yadav View Post
Digu, you're in good hands !!
SuperSelect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2009, 11:12   #2482
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
Congratulations Digamber, dont worry too much about getting everything right at this stage my friend abhi to sirf ek start hai. Its important to get the car up and running and reliable first, as time goes on I am sure you will get all the bits and pieces of the jigsaw puzzle Meanwhile drive the car and enjoy the ride.
Amol Saheba,

Any insight on the discussion about the air filters and the Cutout relay.
Old 23rd December 2009, 12:19   #2483
BHPian

Quote:
@ Digamber & Ravi:

Attachment 249969

Also can Gurus Confirm of the Cutout relay, is that original or is aftermarket from the pictures given. It reads PMP which I believe is an Indian Brand. Also Attached is a picture of relay from jay leno's car which sports the Brown relay the one that I have bought.

Attachment 249975
Manish, do you now realise why I advised you to pick up that very RARE brown Italian cut out that you casually came across and was hesitant to buy it? Such things are not found very easily nowadays and I was excited when you came across it. What a lovely find. Congrats!

And, BTW, PMP is aftermarket that someone earlier could have fitted. Also, AFAIK, (post Elegants) all Indian Selects, Super Selects and the earlier Delites had the same Air Filter assembly like Jay Leno's car and Kirloskar in India were OE manufacturers for the Filter element, which is discontinued and unavailable again, as of now. You may have to work hard to salvage some leftover elements from a remote shop, somewhere.

Last edited by President : 23rd December 2009 at 12:38.
President is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2009, 13:49   #2484
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
In my car, and according to my mech the right switch on the meter is for parking lights AND headlights (which are further controlled by stalks), and the left is for the wipers..

Digu, you're in good hands !!
The switch below or next to the ignition is for sure to actuate the wiper. The other two I am in Doubt. One thing is clear from shaym, you and others that there were only three toggle switches. And now we have clarity on Air filter by our great Guru Rony.

Quote:
Originally Posted by President View Post
Manish, do you now realise why I advised you to pick up that very RARE brown Italian cut out that you casually came across and was hesitant to buy it? Such things are not found very easily nowadays and I was excited when you came across it. What a lovely find. Congrats!

And, BTW, PMP is aftermarket that someone earlier could have fitted. Also, AFAIK, (post Elegants) all Indian Selects, Super Selects and the earlier Delites had the same Air Filter assembly like Jay Leno's car and Kirloskar in India were OE manufacturers for the Filter element, which is discontinued and unavailable again, as of now. You may have to work hard to salvage some leftover elements from a remote shop, somewhere.
WOW Rony Bhai,

Thanks a ton for that Valuable info. I am really happy cause of your suggestion I bought that very rare Italian Cutout. Some how the PMP one looked more period and therefore came the doubt.

And Shyam Garu now our doubts are Cleared regarding the Airfilter.

As for the filter element, the later model PP had the same assembly and thus the Lumax filters can be had in place of original Kirloskar ones.

Last edited by manishalive : 23rd December 2009 at 13:51.
Old 23rd December 2009, 17:07   #2485
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by President View Post
Also, AFAIK, (post Elegants) all Indian Selects, Super Selects and the earlier Delites had the same Air Filter assembly like Jay Leno's car and Kirloskar in India were OE manufacturers for the Filter element, which is discontinued and unavailable again, as of now. You may have to work hard to salvage some leftover elements from a remote shop, somewhere.
Quote:
As for the filter element, the later model PP had the same assembly and thus the Lumax filters can be had in place of original Kirloskar ones.
The Padmini air cleaner elements did not have the secondary intake over exhaust manifold. Also the profile of the front sphere is different (less protruding) on Padmini air cleaners.

I doubt if Lumax were ever OE even on Padminis (except for S1's). Since Kirloskar air filter elements are rare though not impossible to find, for the time being Purolator elements can be used for "kam-chalao" business though they are not as good as Kirloskar.

Regards,
Adheesh Parelkar
adheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2009, 17:48   #2486
BHPian

Default Purolator Air Filter Elements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adheesh View Post
Since Kirloskar air filter elements are rare though not impossible to find, for the time being Purolator elements can be used for "kam-chalao" business though they are not as good as Kirloskar.

Regards,
Adheesh Parelkar
Regarding the Purolater elements that are still available, I strongly recommend, that, whoever needs these should pick them up, before they go off production, like other FIAT parts.
President is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2009, 20:59   #2487
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adheesh View Post
The Padmini air cleaner elements did not have the secondary intake over exhaust manifold. Also the profile of the front sphere is different (less protruding) on Padmini air cleaners.

I doubt if Lumax were ever OE even on Padminis (except for S1's). Since Kirloskar air filter elements are rare though not impossible to find, for the time being Purolator elements can be used for "kam-chalao" business though they are not as good as Kirloskar.

Regards,
Adheesh Parelkar
Adheesh,

Thanks for the info. Yes I do know of the difference in the Fait and PP dry type air filters. How ever the dimensions of filter element is the same.

Lumax and Elofic both are also good brands and are OE for other manufacturers also.
Old 24th December 2009, 10:57   #2488
BANNED

Behram Sir and other Gurus.

What are the implications a Padmini will have on such a modification other than dust/rain and safety of the car?
Attached Images

Last edited by arun1100 : 24th December 2009 at 10:58.
arun1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2009, 11:36   #2489
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100 View Post
Behram Sir and other Gurus.

What are the implications a Padmini will have on such a modification other than dust/rain and safety of the car?
I have seen a similar car in Chennai recently. IMHO, the stability of the body / chassis will go for a toss.
I've always wanted clarity on this - Behram, where are you ?
Also, if one converts it into a 'two door', will there be a significant increase in the body's rigidity ?
SuperSelect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2009, 14:28   #2490
BHPian

Seen this ring type of steering on Mumbai Taxis after many days. It recollect those days when I used to ask my dad "why that other small steering is provided ??"
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Classic Car Club - Mumbai-hhd0009.jpg  

dhrishikesh is offline   Reply With Quote