Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Old 9th September 2010, 15:48   #3136
BHPian

This car can be seen at the kala ghoda parking lot. Its a floor shift diesel. Wanted to click a picture and send to Cyrus long time back, thanks Ravi.
kavesh55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2010, 18:11   #3137
BHPian

Thanks, Jatin for sharing the pictures. That PP would look even better if the colour combo would have been inverted, i.e. black is where white is and white should have been where black is ! wat say guys?
rutwij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2010, 04:58   #3138
Senior - BHPian

Dear members of Fiat Classic Car Club-Mumbai,
Fiat India has directed to FCCH the contact of a Fiat owner in Nagpur who wishes to restore his 1960 Fiat 1100.Below is his contact details:
Mr .C N Koyal - Nagpur
0712 2226179/9421778008
FIAT 1100 - 1961 make

I would request one of you to speak to Mr.Koyal in Nagpur and extend help to him.Thanks
hillram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2010, 22:49   #3139
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear all - I once again found hidden treasure in a shop in Nasik today evening. I purchased a brand new Lucas TVS distributor suitable for the Premier Padmini S1. Although a Padmini distributor is still not too hard to find in Mumbai, what is most remarkable is that I got the "65B" specification piece, that too lying for many years in a shop in Nasik. This distributor is a very rare model. It was was calibrated to provide optimized advance characteristics. The calibration of the centrifugal advance mechanism springs is very critical to the difference a "65B" distributor assembly makes to the car's performance. The springs were imported from Lucas England specifically for this purpose only and less than 1000 distributors were made. I now have 2 nos of "65B" distributor assemblies. One of them is fitted in BLL4919. This one will go on MH01YA3238, my left hand drive as it has the original S1 engine which will benefit from this advance curve. I was on the lookout for a brand new "65B" for a long time, I got it today. I also bought a brand new original combination switch, the one having two sleek chrome levers with flat plastic ends on them. Very hard to find and very rare now. I had to pay through my nose for these parts. Be careful, prices are going up.

In order to optimize this distributor on the S1 engine, I had worked under the guidance of my the then boss in PAL, the late Prof.S.N.Srinivasan (Dy.GM - R&D). I still remember his words of wisdom, delivered to me in a typical Tamilian drawl - MR.DHABHAR, THERE ARE MANY PEOPLE, WHO DO NOT UNDERSTAND THE IMPORTANCE OF THE FIRST VERTICAL LINE OF THE CAPITAL LETTER "E" OF THE WORD "ENGINEERING". DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME WITH THEM. WHAT'S THE USE? So true!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2010, 14:45   #3140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
The springs were imported from Lucas England specifically for this purpose only and less than 1000 distributors were made.
Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
That's great news. Bye the way in earlier days there used to be kits for repair of Distributor which also included springs for the centrifugal advance. 99% of mechanics over look this aspect, I learnt about all this from my guru. I wanted to know was there any such kit available for our PP and Fiats.
manishalive is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2010, 22:37   #3141
Senior - BHPian

Mumbai Fiatians: One TBhpian needs help. Someone guide him please.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/2074492-post350.html
funkykar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2010, 22:39   #3142
Team-BHP Support

Here is a great shot of TBHPian President's 1964 LHD Delight. This was taken around 10 years ago at a rally in Mumbai. Behind it is Gogi's Special when with previous owner, and in front is our dear Pheroze's 57 which he unfortunately then sold. Im told it was one of the best Dukkars in town. The original wheelcaps were at the time safely stored at home (and now adorn his Super Select).

Fiat Classic Car Club - Mumbai-image_80.jpg
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2010, 00:05   #3143
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Here is a great shot of TBHPian President's 1964 LHD Delight.
This car belonged to Naval person, and he bought this car from Washington, America. When a previous owner, a so called enthusiast bought the car, the paint was still original though there were big patches required on the door. The monogram of the Washington dealer was still on the car!
Where is she now?

Cheers harit
harit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2010, 01:21   #3144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
This car belonged to Naval person, and he bought this car from Washington, America. When a previous owner, a so called enthusiast bought the car, the paint was still original though there were big patches required on the door. The monogram of the Washington dealer was still on the car!
Where is she now?

Cheers harit
Rony had maintained the car in beautifully original condition, with the original paint. The current owner has unfortunately chosen to paint it in a rather bright shade..
Nevertheless, she still looks lovely - Madhubala, in any outfit, is still Madhubala !!
SuperSelect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2010, 10:55   #3145
BHPian

Default MRY 9501 - My ex-LHD 1964 ITALIAN FIAT 1100

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Where is she now?

Cheers harit
Yes, I had bought MRY 9501 in 98-99 when the car was in OH REE G NAL paint and interiors, but there was surface corrosion picking up all over the door bottoms, running boards etc. So, in order to preserve the Italian body, I chose to restore her which I did meticulously, to extend the body life and make her look good.

I will never forgive myself for parting with her and I can only say that I must have been in a bad state of mind due to parking and maintenance problems prevalent at that time. I cared for her like a baby and she had never seen the rains whilst in my possession.

The POHANKA Washinton DC, monogram is still on the Dicky and the car has changed two hands by now.

With the present owner, the car has been frequently seen parked outdoors.
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Classic Car Club - Mumbai-image-41.jpg  

Fiat Classic Car Club - Mumbai-image-83.jpg  

Last edited by Amartya : 22nd September 2010 at 11:45. Reason: Edited as per request
President is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2010, 11:27   #3146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by President View Post
Yes, I had bought MRY 9501 in 98-99 when the car was in OH REE G NAL paint and interiors, but there was surface corrosion picking up all over the door bottoms, running boards etc. So, in order to preserve the Italian body, I chose to restore her which I did meticulously, to extend the body life and make her look good.

Remember MRY 9501 as the benchmark for a Fiat 1100, looked great, ran beautifully, sometimes amazed us as it zoomed by. Roni could we have pics of the car in the red avatar too. Had it kept for long as a reference point.
kavesh55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2010, 12:31   #3147
BHPian

Default MRY 9501 LHD pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavesh55 View Post
Rony could we have pics of the car in the red avatar too. Had it kept for long as a reference point.
Hi Kavesh, the present shade is some custom made metallic orange with white top. Here are a few pictures that you can see.
and of course you've seen it in person with the new avatar.
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Classic Car Club - Mumbai-lhd-1221cc-sold.jpg  

Fiat Classic Car Club - Mumbai-lhd-1221.jpg  

Fiat Classic Car Club - Mumbai-cimg6171.jpg  

President is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2010, 17:38   #3148
BHPian

Rony even i will not forgive for selling her

Try and buy her back and give her the respect she deserves.
allana13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2010, 14:46   #3149
BANNED

Specially for all Fiat lovers:

Cyrus43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2010, 04:25   #3150
BANNED

So What are you guys planning for the 1st sunday of October?
Cyrus43 is offline   Reply With Quote