Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Old 30th September 2010, 12:08   #3166
BHPian

Default Select Fiats

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
In a phased manner, of course.
But they'll all be eventually gone :(
I wish they restore a few for posterity, and keep them on the roads as Mumbai's symbols - don't we have the London Taxi, or NY's Checker Cab ? Why not our own 'Kaali-Peeli" ?
News is that they are also planning to change the black and yellow clour scheme to something 'new' and 'fresh'. Like brown and cream.
>>>

How about petitioning the Maharashtra Government to restore say a hundred Fiats (take your pic of the models/years/engines et. al) and utilise them as tourist taxis with a higher fare structure?

These can have a limited driving area - say South Bombay only- for tourists/locals who wish to have a 'select' drive through Bombay's architecturally/culturally significant areas.

Can the Fiat Classic Car Club initiate this? Can we write down a well crafted petition comprising the technical details of the Fiats, the suggested areas where they can ply, the drivers' uniform, the fare/metering system, the service cycles for these cars and so on and so forth?

I think Bombay as a city, need these symbols of its past, to remind the future of its glorious past.

Please consider this.

Regards
issigonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2010, 12:26   #3167
BHPian

The black and yellow colour of the Mumbai Cabs is symbolic not only to the cabs of Mumbai but the city itself. It is just what black cabs mean to London and the yellow cabs to New York. Its a part of Mumbai. Ask any visitor or folks in the city for the colours they can associate with, black and yellow is one. I have proof and seen it in many focussed group discussions. I guess we should fight against it. Hope as a Fiat Club we could do something.
Had met AL Quadros for a project, I wanted to undertake sometime back, felt sorry for the situation, how the taxi union had been marginalized to give rise to private cabs. He was feeling helpless as the cab drivers/owners are not the breed they used to be. Feel numb as I type this, change is important but the value and identity should be maintained, thats integrity.

Last edited by kavesh55 : 30th September 2010 at 12:28.
kavesh55 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2010, 15:45   #3168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavesh55 View Post
Feel numb as I type this, change is important but the value and identity should be maintained, thats integrity.
Well said. We need to do something. Can someone take the lead on this. Is it possible.

Man i really don't want to see them Fiats gone from the streets of Bombay....
allana13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2010, 16:21   #3169
BANNED

Just a point to think about: How many of us choose a Fiat cab to a Wagon R or an Omni cab? As much as I love the Fiat, and I sure Do love it alot, some of these cabs are in pathetic condition and they should be scrapped. On the other hand, the Tourism Dept should have a few Fiats in immaculate condition (this though will never happen)
Cyrus43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2010, 16:26   #3170
BHPian

@superselect
we should definitely have our symbolic taxis but the problem is that politicians get more money from private taxi firms so hence they enforce on scrappin the old taxis.
And other problem is that the majority of PP taxis are very badly maintained and are also a hazard or risk to the people traveling in it.
jatinpatel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2010, 19:29   #3171
BHPian

Guys,
Took a ride today in this very cab. Had a chat with the driver Mr. Abu Razzaq. He doesn't own the cab but has been driving it for the past decade or so. He was pleasantly surprised to see his cab's pic on T-bhp (showed him from my cell).

He said that he personally had no problems sharing those O REE GEE NAL bits with interested people but unfortunately he doesn't own the cab so he can't do much.

And many Fiatians have made offers to buy the original parts (must be Rony, Ravi or Cyrus ) but he can't do much because of the above mentioned reasons. :(

Quote:
Mumbai gets ready to do a final adios to her beloved symbol - the Fiat Taxi.

My heart goes out to the hundreds of Taxis with nice, original, period fittings - To those lovely whitewalled wonders, who now look "all dressed-up with nowhere to go" (except probably the scrapyard !)
My heart goes out to these Fiats, who soldier on bravely, their very souls ravaged by commercial compulsions.

For a few days, I'll post pictures of cabs with interesting / nice looking stuff on them. Please do follow up with any interesting pictures you see !
(pictures have been taken with permission)

I'll start with a "Delight"ful relic of a bygone era !
salilpawar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2010, 20:59   #3172
BHPian

Why can't some one start manufacturing original quality fiat parts ??!! This way the existing cabs will not be scraped and our fiats will get a new life !! I really envy those who have RD 350s and RXs. Yamaha have stared remanufaturing parts for them.
rutwij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2010, 21:22   #3173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis View Post
>>>

How about petitioning the Maharashtra Government to restore say a hundred Fiats (take your pic of the models/years/engines et. al) and utilise them as tourist taxis with a higher fare structure?

These can have a limited driving area - say South Bombay only- for tourists/locals who wish to have a 'select' drive through Bombay's architecturally/culturally significant areas.
I think this is a fantastic idea - a project whose time has come.
When we talk about heritage and heritage precincts in Mumbai, we can surely look beyond just buildings !!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavesh55 View Post
The black and yellow colour of the Mumbai Cabs is symbolic not only to the cabs of Mumbai but the city itself. It is just what black cabs mean to London and the yellow cabs to New York. Its a part of Mumbai. Ask any visitor or folks in the city for the colours they can associate with, black and yellow is one.
Precisely !!
Quote:
Originally Posted by allana13 View Post
Can someone take the lead on this. Is it possible.....
Let US, the FCCCI, take this up as a project. What say ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
Just a point to think about: How many of us choose a Fiat cab to a Wagon R or an Omni cab? As much as I love the Fiat, and I sure Do love it alot, some of these cabs are in pathetic condition and they should be scrapped. On the other hand, the Tourism Dept should have a few Fiats in immaculate condition (this though will never happen)
I say keep 10 or 15 of them, in MINT condition. Scrap the rest..
Quote:
Originally Posted by jatinpatel View Post
@superselect
we should definitely have our symbolic taxis but the problem is that politicians get more money from private taxi firms so hence they enforce on scrappin the old taxis..
I will say, let the Kaali peelis be economically viable too - let this be positioned as a high end sort of a "Heritage Taxi".
No competition with the regular or AC cabs at all..
Quote:
Originally Posted by salilpawar1 View Post
Guys,
Took a ride today in this very cab. Had a chat with the driver Mr. Abu Razzaq. He said that he personally had no problems sharing those O REE GEE NAL bits with interested people but unfortunately he doesn't own the cab so he can't do much.:(
Why parts ? Preserve the entire Taxi !!

Let's get this project moving, guys !
SuperSelect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2010, 22:23   #3174
Senior - BHPian

Default Meet the President !!

Guys, feast your eyes on this "President" taxi.
I'm sure Rony's seen this cab time and again !!

Mods: sorry for the back-to-back posts, but my editing time had already passed.
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Classic Car Club - Mumbai-taxi-4.jpg  

Fiat Classic Car Club - Mumbai-taxi-5.jpg  

Old 30th September 2010, 22:57   #3175
BHPian

@superselect

Why people or even tourist prefer sitting in a Fiat taxi when they would get more comfort and A/C in private cabs at cheaper rates?

I too like fiats as they are our symbol of Mumbai..they should be kept
Old 30th September 2010, 23:30   #3176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatinpatel View Post
Why people or even tourist prefer sitting in a Fiat taxi when they would get more comfort and A/C in private cabs at cheaper rates?
Hey Jatin, the idea is not about using Fiats as regular Taxies..

You see, when all Fiats have been phased out, a few of them would be retained, just to give a unique experience to the tourist / user. These taxies would be there more as Mumbai's symbols, and not for the regular office commute !
Don't you see tourists shelling out fancy money for Victoria / Tonga rides near the gateway of India ?

This may sound far fetched, but a "classic car taxi ride" can be a unique experience, and may not necessarily be stopped at Fiats - think about it - If we have other classics too, as very expensive, but limited run taxies - say for a run from The Taj to Marine drive, and back..

Last edited by SuperSelect : 30th September 2010 at 23:32.
Old 30th September 2010, 23:33   #3177
BHPian

In that way its a nice idea..But i still prefer taking a ride in a well maintained Fiat taxi as comparo taxi omni or santro,etc.

I feel if given a second chance with stringent maintainence schedule Fiat taxis can still live on.
Old 1st October 2010, 07:38   #3178
BHPian

Nowadays I am seeing many a taxis making a rectangular hole above the petrol / diesel filling point at the back and also just behind head lamps (on the sides). I thought it was a one off thing but many a taxis carry this rectangular cutting on their sides (30 cms x 15 cms) - without opening the hoods engine bay or dickey one can see what is kept inside.
gururaj r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2010, 14:55   #3179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis View Post
>>>
Can the Fiat Classic Car Club initiate this? Can we write down a well crafted petition comprising the technical details of the Fiats, the suggested areas where they can ply, the drivers' uniform, the fare/metering system, the service cycles for these cars and so on and so forth?
I think Bombay as a city, need these symbols of its past, to remind the future of its glorious past.
Please consider this.
Regards
Sounds like an idea, which might just about work.

Quote:
Hey Jatin, the idea is not about using Fiats as regular Taxies..
You see, when all Fiats have been phased out, a few of them would be retained, just to give a unique experience to the tourist / user. These taxies would be there more as Mumbai's symbols, and not for the regular office commute !
Don't you see tourists shelling out fancy money for Victoria / Tonga rides near the gateway of India ?
This may sound far fetched, but a "classic car taxi ride" can be a unique experience, and may not necessarily be stopped at Fiats - think about it - If we have other classics too, as very expensive, but limited run taxies - say for a run from The Taj to Marine drive, and back..
Agree with you on all the above.

Just a few queries:
When you talk of the restoration of the "KAALI PEELI" there has to be some criteria in place for making it as original as possible.
The first thing that comes to mind is the engine. The CNG engine, in my opinion has to go! Are there original engines still available in the second hand market? Besides that all the original parts, trims, etc. Considering the difficulties faced by most of the restorers here, I guess none of the existing premier/ fiat taxi owners would want spend their money and time trying to find and source these parts. So in that case would the car be still a "Classic Car"? And if it isn't, do you think someone would want to pay extra for a "classic car taxi ride"? I wouldn't mind paying extra for a heritage ride, but then again, the car has to be upto the mark, like the cars of the FCCCI members.
If this has to be taken forward all the fiat lovers will have to be actively involved in the project!
BolBolero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2010, 15:47   #3180
BHPian

I agree the CNG has to go
but its not a engine, its actually a KIT that can be removed.
Even if needed the engines would be available in Kurla so would the original bits i suppose.
The best Kept Taxis are generally outside 5 Star Hotels.
allana13 is offline   Reply With Quote