Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Old 25th August 2011, 22:27   #3766
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Fiat Classic Car Club - Mumbai

The tiny lane off Chowpatty, Mumbai - which falls behind the Dadajee Dhackjee building opposite BCMA seems to have a nice treasure trove.

Two delights - seem to be well maintained daily runners.

And one wreck.
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Classic Car Club - Mumbai-dsc00429.jpg  

Fiat Classic Car Club - Mumbai-dsc00430.jpg  

Fiat Classic Car Club - Mumbai-dsc00428.jpg  

Fiat Classic Car Club - Mumbai-dsc00427.jpg  

Fiat Classic Car Club - Mumbai-dsc00431.jpg  

SuperSelect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2011, 23:24   #3767
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
Well-maintained yes, good to see them so...but sadly neither have anything 'Delight'ful left in them! Both seem to be Dieselised too. Only way of identification are the numbers. I bet the owners too think of them as padminis!
Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2011, 11:05   #3768
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Well-maintained yes, good to see them so...but sadly neither have anything 'Delight'ful left in them! Both seem to be Dieselised too. Only way of identification are the numbers. I bet the owners too think of them as padminis!
Shyam i am unable to figure out any signs of Dieselization. Can you point me towards it. I hope the judgement is not based on them being a daily runner. Even the car's stance looks like of a petrol model. I may be wrong though.
Would like to add one more word here : I bet the owners too think of them as FIAT padminis!

Last edited by samsag12 : 26th August 2011 at 11:06.
samsag12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2011, 16:07   #3769
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
Shyam i am unable to figure out any signs of Dieselization. Can you point me towards it. I hope the judgement is not based on them being a daily runner. Even the car's stance looks like of a petrol model. I may be wrong though.
I may be wrong too but I was reckoning that based on the vent holes cut in the front panel below the grille in case of both the cars. I thought these came only on the 137D? Did your S1 too come with them as OE?
Old 26th August 2011, 18:34   #3770
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I may be wrong too but I was reckoning that based on the vent holes cut in the front panel below the grille in case of both the cars. I thought these came only on the 137D? Did your S1 too come with them as OE?
Ha haa Shyam bhai it seems you need to learn a lot regarding later Fiats. These vents under the grill very much came on S1 and mine too had it as OE. These vented panels are very popular among a few older cars as they facilitate that extra air flow to the radiator and were proudly suggested by most mechanics along with a bigger radiator .Same must be the case with these cars too and they don't seem to be fabricated.
The panel constituting 12 vents can be fitted on any Padmini shape Fiat be it a Diesel or a Petrol.

PS: I have stocked a couple of them taken from scrapped cars as they are hard to imitate.

Last edited by samsag12 : 26th August 2011 at 18:41.
Old 26th August 2011, 18:38   #3771
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Ha haa Shyam bhai it seems you need to learn a lot regarding Fiats.
The panel constituting 12 vents can be fitted on any Padmini shape Fiat be it a Diesel or a Petrol.

PS: I have stocked a couple of them taken from scrapped cars.
*ahem* Make that regarding LATER FIATS...or PADMINI FIATS!! I'm not sorry to say I was too busy amassing gyaan on the older fiats all these years!

Yes I'm aware those vented panels are available separately. Especially fitted to cars that are Dieselised.

Yes I suppose the bigger radiator in the S1 resulted in this model also getting such vents.
Old 26th August 2011, 18:51   #3772
Senior - BHPian

Great so you do know about older Fiats. In that case i have edited/corrected my previous post.
Just for their basic property, Dieselized cars must have had them fitted. BTW i personally don't like this type of front panel on Fiats. They give the cars a sort of ugly look.
Old 26th August 2011, 18:56   #3773
BHPian

I would love to buy the original 137d
Trouble is its difficult to find a unmolested one at the right price.
allana13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2011, 20:55   #3774
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
BTW i personally don't like this type of front panel on Fiats. They give the cars a sort of ugly look.
I second that. One reason why I wasnt too fond of the later Fiats (viz. the 137D etc.)
Apart from the fact that some of them (viz. the S1) came with those oh-so-ugly plastic wheel discs!!
But in that case, why have you collected those 2 vented panels??

Last edited by Stanher : 26th August 2011 at 21:07.
Old 26th August 2011, 21:47   #3775
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I second that. One reason why I wasnt too fond of the later Fiats (viz. the 137D etc.)
Apart from the fact that some of them (viz. the S1) came with those oh-so-ugly plastic wheel discs!!
But in that case, why have you collected those 2 vented panels??
The main reason to this is that the one on my car got bent, straightening it was difficult so bought one from a used car, scrapper not willing to lower the price so took the other one (of course from another car) too. Result 1 original + the other used but perfect one. Thought they would come in handy if needed in future. Hope this clears the point.
Old 27th August 2011, 01:23   #3776
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well-maintained yes, good to see them so...but sadly neither have anything 'Delight'ful left in them!
Yaa - I agree ! The only saving grace is, that despite Mumbai weather, both seem to have relatively nice bodylines. With some effort and the right 'brightwork', these can be "Delighted" again.
Old 27th August 2011, 09:55   #3777
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes I suppose the bigger radiator in the S1 resulted in this model also getting such vents.
Dear Shyam - the "slotted" front panel came into existence in February 1985. I am the originator of this panel. The first car was MMY5038, a white Deluxe car which was a 1221 cc engine R&D prototype with 72 mm diameter Italian pistons with a siamesed cylinder block, means that the water jackets between adjacent cylinders were removed to accommodate the bigger bore, the second car was MMY5039, a white car which incidentally was also the second 137D car ever made (the first one was MRH9072), the third car was MMY6465, a polynesian biege car which was the 995 cc Padmini R&D prototype, progressed to get the advantages in duty levied on cars below 1000 cc. Subsequently, we also fitted a 1008 cc engine in it because the rule changed from 1000 cc to 1050 cc. The front panels also went on all S1 cars which had the cross flow radiator, the electric fan, the 3.9:1 rear axle ratio and 155/80R14 tyres on 4J wheel rims (rationalized driveline).

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2011, 12:04   #3778
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
The tiny lane off Chowpatty, Mumbai - which falls behind the Dadajee Dhackjee building opposite BCMA seems to have a nice treasure trove.

And one wreck.
The gold car MRG 900 - long term ownership with a Gujrati gent who uses it regularly. The car stands close to Babulnath I think.
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2011, 13:36   #3779
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
The gold car MRG 900 - long term ownership with a Gujrati gent who uses it regularly. The car stands close to Babulnath I think.
Righto !! At Chowpatty, to be precise. In the lane next to the Mahindra showroom. Nice car, overall..
Old 28th August 2011, 15:07   #3780
Senior - BHPian

Guys!

Saw a Prussian Blue LHD Premier padmini near Yerwada ( PUNE ) with number 9992 being driven by a middle aged lady.Was a well maintained one.
silverado is offline   Reply With Quote