Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Old 25th December 2012, 20:22   #4111
BHPian

Default Re: Fiat Classic Car Club - Mumbai

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkat kumar View Post
Dear Mr Rony,Mr Karl
I am Venkat Kumar from Coimbatore and I am in the process of restoring my 1976 Premier Padmini.I had the pleasure of meeting Mr Behram when he was in Coimbatore last week and it was he who mentioned to me that you were very knowledgeable about Fiats and Premiers.He told me that the 1976 Padmini came with a black plastic grill and I would be grateful to you if you could let me know as to where I could try to procure one.I being a newbie I am not able to pm you and hence this post.
My no is 9363123964.Any help would be highly appreciated.
With warm regards
Venkat Kumar
Hi Venkat,

Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to the FIAT owners community. Regarding the black plastic grill which I remember came on the 'economy' model of the PADMINI, I will keep my eyes open for a used one that may be possible to procure with time. Have never inquired for a new one but will do so at the next available opportunity and intimate you, if available. Chances are dim but lets keep our fingers crossed. However, I am confident that the plastic chrome quality of Sweet trade may still be available, which obviously is not required by you.
All the best and wish you a happy ownership experience.
President is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2012, 23:19   #4112
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkat kumar View Post
the 1976 Padmini came with a black plastic grill and I would be grateful to you if you could let me know as to where I could try to procure one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by President View Post
Regarding the black plastic grill which I remember came on the 'economy' model of the PADMINI, I will keep my eyes open for a used one that may be possible to procure with time.
Is this by any chance the one with the 'honeycomb' design? I had one lying at home.
Stanher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2012, 23:48   #4113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Is this by any chance the one with the 'honeycomb' design? I had one lying at home.
Yes Shyam, in fact it is the honeycomb design black grille. I'm sure Venkat is going to be excited on reading your post.
President is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2012, 10:11   #4114
BHPian

Dear Mr Rony
Thank you for such a prompt reply.I have seen Stanhers post and i will try to get in touch with him.I would like to inform you that my car has an aluminium grill,an ashtray at the rear of the front seat but it has no provision for the indicators on the front mudgaurds.My car is a1976 model Padmini and kindly let me know as to what are the changes that i have to make to the above three aspects to get the car to its originality.I will be in Bombay for the next 3 days and if you could pm me your number and the time convenient to you i will call you.I am really confused and would greatly appreciate your help and advice.
With Regards
Venkat Kumar
venkat kumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2012, 11:06   #4115
BHPian

Dear Mr Shyam
This is regarding the honey comb grill which Mr Rony was mentioning about.In case you have no use for the grill i would like to buy it or if you require the same and your are able to locate one which is unbroken please do let me know.If you could pm me your contact no and the time that would be convenient to you i will call you.Any help would be highly appreciated.
With Regards
Venkat Kumar
venkat kumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2012, 12:39   #4116
Team-BHP Support

As far as I know, the early Padminis did have the aluminium grille, and you mention your car still has it. I don't think the Economy version was available in 76, so your car in all probability has the original grille (very hard to find BTW).

Also I think the ashtrays that fit in the rear doors fit into a cavity cut into the doors. Does your car have the cavities? If not, they wouldnt have been fitted original I would think. Do share some images of your car. Good luck for the restoration.
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2012, 14:08   #4117
BHPian

The black honey comb grill came in the Economy version of the padmini in 1986
kishorelal is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2012, 17:13   #4118
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kishorelal View Post
The black honey comb grill came in the Economy version of the padmini in 1986
Dear Venkat Kumar - I have enquired with one of my old Premier Automobiles R&D colleague. He is quite sure of the following two specifications:

Rear ash trays - Deluxe cars with bucket seats had two ash trays with door inner panels cut to accommodate them. All cars with bench seats (yours included) had the ash tray fitted in the center of the rear of the front seat. This ash tray was black in color. So, please do not cut the door inner panels.

Grille type - honeycomb grille was introduced in 1986 in Sabbia / Ellora and Pale Lilac Economy model cars, so it did not exist in 1976 (thank you Kishorelal, you are correct). In that year, as per my colleague, standard cars had black grilles but with horizontally oriented openings, Deluxe BE and Deluxe cars had chrome grilles with horizontal oriented openings. Black grille is extremely hard to find these days.

Hope this clarifies.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2012, 18:57   #4119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
As far as I know, the early Padminis did have the aluminium grille, and you mention your car still has it. I don't think the Economy version was available in 76, so your car in all probability has the original grille (very hard to find BTW).
Karl was that Grill on earlier Padminis the same as President ones? I guess the PAL monogram was trapezoid shape one though. Please correct me if wrong.
samsag12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2012, 20:38   #4120
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
Karl was that Grill on earlier Padminis the same as President ones? I guess the PAL monogram was trapezoid shape one though. Please correct me if wrong.
Yes you're right- the President grille with the 'normal' PAL badge. There is even one in the Olive colour (known as Elkhart Yellow?) with a tbhpian in Bangalore...cant find pics. of the car here for now, but might be in FCB thread.
Stanher is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2012, 20:43   #4121
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Yes you're right- the President grille with the 'normal' PAL badge. There is even one in the Olive colour (known as Elkhart Yellow?) with a tbhpian in Bangalore...cant find pics. of the car here for now, but might be in FCB thread.
Thanks for clearing the doubt. BTW is this the car you are referring to

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vbpicg...do=view&g=2143
samsag12 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2012, 21:40   #4122
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
Thanks for clearing the doubt. BTW is this the car you are referring to

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vbpicg...do=view&g=2143
Spot on! You're right again sagar bhai!

The 'thanks' was for helping find the pic. and making it easy for me BTW!
Stanher is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2012, 10:36   #4123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by President View Post
Time for another FCCCI - Mumbai Drive from Bandra side of sea-link to 'Cafe Mondegar' via the sea-link on Sunday, December 30th, 2012.

Meet up at 8.30am just before the Sea-link toll (as usual) and after a photoshoot, head for Cafe Mondegar, Colaba.
Please pour in your confirmations for the drive on another Super Sunday.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bharat malaviya View Post
Can't wait till Sunday!! Count me in with my father, hope to get them clean and ready by Sunday.

1) Fiat 1100d (grey & white)
2) Fiat 1100d (green)
And here are the confirmations as of today:-
1. Cyrus - any 1 Fiat from his collection
2. Rony - Super Select
3. Sonu - Millecento
4. Pramod Mallaviya - '65 Two tone Delight
5. Bharat Mallaviya - '71 Delight (new entry) looking forward to seeing it in person
6. Surinder - Elegant
President is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2012, 10:19   #4124
Senior - BHPian

URGENT - URGENT - URGENT

BROWNIE UPDATE: One of the metal straps holding the fuel tank broke from holding end. Any place to get ready-made metal strap?

Raab rakha.
ariesonu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2012, 23:35   #4125
Senior - BHPian

I'm in, guys!! Be seeing you all after what seems like ages..

1. Cyrus - any 1 Fiat from his collection
2. Rony - Super Select
3. Sonu - Millecento
4. Pramod Mallaviya - '65 Two tone Delight
5. Bharat Mallaviya - '71 Delight (new entry) looking forward to seeing it in person
6. Surinder - Elegant
7. Ravi - Probably hitching a ride, as 'Nakhrewaali' is upto her 'Nakhraas'.
SuperSelect is offline   Reply With Quote