Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Old 23rd May 2008, 12:24   #496
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by egangsta View Post
Searching boss, searching, did you make the trip to kurla that day ??

Yes i did nothing worth it.
kavesh55 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2008, 12:41   #497
Distinguished - BHPian

HaHaHa Kavesh, you are really getting desperate now. Tera number bhi aayegaa.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2008, 23:51   #498
Senior - BHPian

Thanks a lot for the rousing welcome, guys I truly feel like one of you ! Egangsta, my first thanks should go to you, as you put me on to MRX 6839 thru Vinay. And to Karl, who's the inspiration ! And of course Aditya, for letting me take her home. No Cyrus, I'm not from Pune, I stay in Mahim. Behram sir, I've heard so much about you and read your posts, I'm really looking forward to meeting you sometime soon. Now coming to the car.
What more can I say, Dippy's right, she really is very special - in the first week of having her home, she's become the love of my life !! (the wife's starting to get insecure.) Whatever time I get home in the night, I make sure I take her for a spin.
I've managed to get hold of a whole lot of parts - Dashboard, speedo (kmph), thin steering wheel, headlight rings, side patties, logo, and now new quarter glasses.
Guys I need a very good chrome guy. Anyone know ?? Need to get the bumpers, grille etc in order asap, perferably before the rains. And I'm dying to get work started on her soon. Any reason to wait till after the rains, Edward ?
Would also value any odd bits of advice, please keep the posts coming.
And now for the memories -
All this reminds me of MRW 5248, my dad's '59 select which he had from 1967 thru 2001, and in a weak moment gave it away to someone. Some of my best childhood memories are in MRW 5248 - travelling to and from school, getting driving lessons, taking her to college without dad's approval, having wild races (with selects, belonging to two more pals), even banging her a couple of times !! Old times I guess, never come back - they are only to be relived through new means...
And MRX 6839 is my new baby, for a new future !!
SuperSelect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2008, 01:46   #499
Senior - BHPian

Welcome aboard Ravi.
Addy you sold your beauty??
Anyways thank God its with an avid enthusiast. Take care of her well Ravi.
We will help you in any way we can.
V-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2008, 19:58   #500
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adheesh View Post
Sure.
The Problem Before: The car had a major hunting problem which was 'solved' by some Mr. XYZ by adding washers and foam piecies in the carburetors venturi. Even then the problem wasnt fully solved and his method could have ruined my rarely used 15K km run engine.

The Problem Solved: On 11th of May I met a very technically sound person for the second time and requested him to look into the matter. He devoted an hour of his holiday and tuned my car to perfection. However the hunt continued and we concluded that the car needs a new carburetor. So, on 16th May the same person personally came to my house with a perfect carburetor from one of his own cars. This is a stop gap arrangement till I get my new carb which would be by this weekend. The car was finetuned again. It was late in the night and I went to sleep soon after the that.

The results: The next day when I started the car, it started in half a second and within the next ten seconds. After revving the car a bit it started spitting out water and eventually the 200ml bottle which I was holding at the tail pipe was almost full ! Now thats a perfectly tuned car. I am really thankful towards the good soul who perfected my car.

By now most of you would have guessed who the great person is. Any guesses?

Regards,
Adheesh Parelkar

Dear Behram,

Of late my padmini has developed a strange surging/hunting problem when it is between say 35-50 km road speed in top gear.
This occurs in a corresponding engine speed in third gear as well.
The surging disappears after it crosses 50 km and does not reappear at any speed after that. I just came back from a trip to Mysore (sustained speeds over 100 kmph). and the car had faultless running except for this problem
The engine does not have any starting issues and fires in half a crank. It is quite powerful and does not have any sluggishness and has excellent response while climbing hills. The carburettor has been recently cleaned, tappets adjusted and new filter/castrol gtx engine oil replaced.
It feels as though vacuum collapse is occuring at this speed because if I modulate the throttle a bit, the surging reduces.
The engine has done 93000 km from new and has never been overhauled.

It happens when cold as well as hot.
Plugs were cleaned, It runs on 102 jet size.1976 model no vacuum advance mechanism.
Temp sits at the 80-90 deg range ( it has the small metal fan)
How much water does the car consume every morning?
Absolutely no water at all ( it has coolant and an expansion bottle)
Have you checked for water contamination in the engine oil?
Engine oil is perfect, infact changed the filter and oil last week (routinely change every 5000 km)
Does the oil level remain constant over time?
Does not drink oil at all.

Maybe something to do with the fuel supply, one thing that I have noticed is if i do not start if for 3 days or so then I have to use the choke and it fires only after a few cranks. if it is one day, it fires in half a crank.
Checked the brakes and they are normal working temperature.
Any thoughts on this

Cheers,
boeuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2008, 21:52   #501
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Welcome aboard Ravi.
Addy you sold your beauty??
Anyways thank God its with an avid enthusiast. Take care of her well Ravi.
We will help you in any way we can.
Hey Guys,
Don't take off on Addy, he's more "gifted" the car to me than sold ! It's just that in the circumstances, I would've probably given her more time, or something like that. Anyways what matters is that she's still among us.
Karl, I got an almost brand new pair of quarter glasses from Abdul Rehman at chor bazaar. Hey the guy's loaded with stuff.
Any '59 select owners out there, head straight for him. He also mentioned a full set of select side patties (drool.. slurp !)
Also, Maulana's just got a consignment of Delight side indicators (ooh those lovely rounded ones). Any bookings ?
Ravi.
Old 25th May 2008, 22:22   #502
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
Karl, I got an almost brand new pair of quarter glasses from Abdul Rehman at chor bazaar. Hey the guy's loaded with stuff.

Also, Maulana's just got a consignment of Delight side indicators (ooh those lovely rounded ones). Any bookings ?
Ravi.
Remember new quarter glasses means you will also need new side windows in order to fit them. If you cant find them they can be cut being flat glass.

I hope you picked up a set of those side indicators, as they are correct for your car as well. Give us some nice pics once these bits are fitted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavesh55 View Post
All i need in this big wide world is a well maintained column shift Premier padmini S1.
There is a powder blue S1 column shift at CST road for sale at the moment. MH 12 W regd (pune). These places usually have great exchange schemes.

Last edited by Technocrat : 25th May 2008 at 22:51.
karlosdeville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2008, 22:22   #503
BHPian

Great Ravi, looks like you have been snooping around for parts already ..
egangsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2008, 23:05   #504
BANNED

Hey ravi, i really have to meet you now man!!! And ADDY..You just wait!!!
Cyrus43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2008, 00:50   #505
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville
Remember new quarter glasses means you will also need new side windows in order to fit them. If you cant find them they can be cut being flat glass.

I hope you picked up a set of those side indicators, as they are correct for your car as well. Give us some nice pics once these bits are fitted.
Yup, I've 'booked' a pair of side indicators. He's going to buff them, polish them, (whatever that is !) and have them ready next week.

Egangtsa congrats, I read the "tribal instincts" article in the TOI on saturday. Hey we're in it man !

Cyrus, I too am hoping to meet you soon sometime. At the next meet, I guess.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 26th May 2008 at 10:08. Reason: Edited quote
Old 26th May 2008, 12:42   #506
BHPian

Quote:
There is a powder blue S1 column shift at CST road for sale at the moment. MH 12 W regd (pune). These places usually have great exchange schemes.
Thanks for the information Karl.

But i would require a car with clean titles & preferably a MH01 reg.

lets see if i can get lucky.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 26th May 2008 at 13:01. Reason: Quote edited
kavesh55 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2008, 22:35   #507
Senior - BHPian

Fiat Spotting:
Hey Karl, this one's for you - I was always a fiat spotter, trying to guess the model, vintage, and life story of these cool classics one comes across parked here nad there. Your observations and inputs have made me an even more determined (and talented) fiat spotter, and now I find myself honing my skills more than ever.
Just this evening I saw a very original and almost complete black select on S.V. road at santacruz. The car's regularly parked there, and regularly used, for short drives. However, I think the owner's not spent a penny on her since 1962 !!
The number is MRX 61-- (forgot ! - need to carry that camera around, buddy). Bodyline is beautifully straight and original, but starting to rust very heavily at several ends. Wheels - beautifully original, with clips but no caps. Grille - super select, but looks very old, probably original. Headlight rings - absolutely original. Speedo - original, kmph. Steering - beautiful black, unblemished, and thin rimmed. Inner door knobs and window winders - original. Even the rear number plate lights seem original - they have a slight crease on the top surface. Boot hinges are open type, even these look very old and original.
This is a car to watch. The owner may never sell it, but chances are it may rust in pieces very soon, and is a great source for parts.
Watch this space.
Old 30th May 2008, 11:35   #508

Dear Behram Sir

Thanx for the mesage.

Let me give brief discription of my Car.

I was looking out for second hand car for the price range of RS 40000/-. Luckily I visited A second hand car showroom a andheri east near Gurudwara.

He showed me a white 118 ne with A/c for 35000/-. The vehicle was of Dec 1995 (reg no MH01 S 4821). It was owned by Hindustan Lever as 1 st owner and then by Mr. surti from santacruz. I took a test drive and on the spot said yes to the car.

It is so soft to run even my 12 year old son can drive, change gears, apply brakes and control.

Now something technical. -- The only change the preowner has done is that Iit has a Muruti 800 carburettor. I checked the average on the highway, I went to vajreshwari (60 kms to & fro) from Virar. I filled with petrol (normal unleaded) worth Rs. 250.00 I went came back and still the indicator is showing above red mark.

Sir pls advice me of regular maintainence of the vehicle.

And for all I am from Virar and not from Thane.

Sanjeev

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Mr.Sanjeev Phadke - welcome to the club - I am Behram Dhabhar (Cyrus's father). I guess I can call you Sanjeev. We will definitely contact you for the next club event. Do keep posting in till then. If you need any help with your 118NE, please do not hesitate to contact me anytime.

Dear all - A certain gentleman from Thane has been very resourseful in purchasing the carburettor for his car. I appreciate his resilience and perseverence.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
sanjeevphadke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2008, 22:43   #509
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
Hey ravi, i really have to meet you now man!!! And ADDY..You just wait!!!
Hey Cyrus, it was really great and a pleasant surprise bumping into you today. And Behram sir, meeting you was like a wish fulfilled !! Thank you so much for your invaluable tips, and for driving my beauty. And of course, your cars are mind blowers, both of them. This has doubled my enthusiasm. Guys, let's have a meet very soon, looking forward.cheers:
Old 2nd June 2008, 14:00   #510
BANNED

FIAT CLASSIC CAR CLUB MUMBAI meet on this sunday. 8th of JUNE. venue will be the same. Five gardens, Dadar. Please come latest by 10:30 or so.

looking forward to seeing everyone there. Cheers. Cyrus.
Cyrus43 is offline   Reply With Quote