Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Old 10th June 2008, 14:01   #601
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
I made mom read it and she coudnt stop smiling too. Gogibhai, i heard granny telling my grandfather about your cars today. She really likes the Merc. Ohh and i hope the next time you meet her will be at our place when you come for some delicious DHANSAK!!!!
Take a hint and invite me then. Some great Dhansak and later Choi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
You all don't know one thing about my mother (I wonder why she has not told). Her MOST FAVOURITE MERCEDES is the one which Amol has (BML8988) with round headlights. It's the most elegant Mercedas ever and that's why it's my favourite also. There used to be a BMC numbered white car in Dadar Parsee Colony owned by Mr.Bejan Karai (my father's friend) years back when I was in college and I used to eye it ever since. I still wish I could buy one and take her for a ride. Karl / Gogibhai - how much will a round headlight car cost ?
Yes she did tell me that, I just forgot to put it in my post.
Behrambhai, with crazy prices today, I really cant put a finger on the cost. Of course like all cars it will depend on the condition. I was offered a beat up car needing full work in all quarters for 2.75. Needless to say I declined. I would suggest wait and jump on an opportunity in the rains. Thats the only time you will see cars like this get on sale, probably at a reasonable cost.

Quote:
....She told me, "He has only modern cars? How come he doesnt have real vintages yet?? An old car with those big running boards and rouns headlights in the front?? Now he should buy those cars." I laughed and told her that next time you meet him, tell him that!!
Yes she also reprimanded me for only owning classic cars. I remember telling me how she loves old beauties with huge wooden wheels and running boards.
If i do lay my hands on one ill get it to show her. In fact when my friend gets his cars next ill let you know. We can show her the cars then.
V-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2008, 14:28   #602
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Take a hint and invite me then. Some great Dhansak and later Choi.

If i do lay my hands on one ill get it to show her. In fact when my friend gets his cars next ill let you know. We can show her the cars then.
cheers:
Hint taken!! You are invited!! Lets take her to the VCCCI rally next time in one of the old cars. She has always wanted that.
Cyrus43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2008, 20:14   #603
BHPian

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by boeuff View Post
Dear Behram,

Of late my padmini has developed a strange surging/hunting problem when it is between say 35-50 km road speed in top gear.
This occurs in a corresponding engine speed in third gear as well.
The surging disappears after it crosses 50 km and does not reappear at any speed after that. I just came back from a trip to Mysore (sustained speeds over 100 kmph). and the car had faultless running except for this problem
The engine does not have any starting issues and fires in half a crank. It is quite powerful and does not have any sluggishness and has excellent response while climbing hills. The carburettor has been recently cleaned, tappets adjusted and new filter/castrol gtx engine oil replaced.
It feels as though vacuum collapse is occuring at this speed because if I modulate the throttle a bit, the surging reduces.
The engine has done 93000 km from new and has never been overhauled.

It happens when cold as well as hot.
Plugs were cleaned, It runs on 102 jet size.1976 model no vacuum advance mechanism.
Temp sits at the 80-90 deg range ( it has the small metal fan)
How much water does the car consume every morning?
Absolutely no water at all ( it has coolant and an expansion bottle)
Have you checked for water contamination in the engine oil?
Engine oil is perfect, infact changed the filter and oil last week (routinely change every 5000 km)
Does the oil level remain constant over time?
Does not drink oil at all.

Maybe something to do with the fuel supply, one thing that I have noticed is if i do not start if for 3 days or so then I have to use the choke and it fires only after a few cranks. if it is one day, it fires in half a crank.
Checked the brakes and they are normal working temperature.
Any thoughts on this

Cheers,
Dear all,

Guess what I found the culprit. On a hunch I wanted to check the wheel balancing before I touched the carbs, and guess what, the rear left tyre bead was not seated in the rim properly. This caused the tyre profile to vary.
Released the pressure and reset the beading and now she is as good as new.

Cheers,
boeuff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2008, 20:30   #604
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I didnt know that. Amol, Next time its your turn to show her the car..After it comes out of hibernation that is. Another thing that happened while coming back was this.She told me, "He has only modern cars? How come he doesnt have real vintages yet?? An old car with those big running boards and rouns headlights in the front?? Now he should buy those cars." I laughed and told her that next time you meet him, tell him that!!
Anytime dude, the car wil be back around Diwali time, but if she will settle for a ride in my rover once the monsoon eases a little bit, she's more than welcome. all said and done even the Queen has the same car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
You all don't know one thing about my mother (I wonder why she has not told). Her MOST FAVOURITE MERCEDES is the one which Amol has (BML8988) with round headlights. It's the most elegant Mercedas ever and that's why it's my favourite also. There used to be a BMC numbered white car in Dadar Parsee Colony owned by Mr.Bejan Karai (my father's friend) years back when I was in college and I used to eye it ever since. I still wish I could buy one and take her for a ride. Karl / Gogibhai - how much will a round headlight car cost ? I really wish I had parking space in Mumbai but alas ----- it's been 16 years and 9 months now. I don't feel like saying anything further. I do hope that one day God will make me realise my dream. I will never lose hope and I will never quit trying.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Well Mr Dhabar till you get your own ponton, i can offer you my chauffer driven Ponton, with me as the chauffer no seriously she will be back at diwali time. But till then when the monsoon eases out should your mom want a ride in the rover do let me know that comes with me as the chauffer as well.
regards
Amol

Last edited by aah78 : 11th June 2008 at 21:13. Reason: Multiple posts merged.
the mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2008, 21:40   #605
BANNED

Amol, i just told Granny and her face lit up!! She said, "Ohh this is the same car that Mr.Karai had isnt it?"

edit-Now she is talking about Standard 10s!!
Old 11th June 2008, 22:26   #606
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
edit-Now she is talking about Standard 10s!!
Ahaaa......now this I'd surely like to hear! 'bet she would vividly remember the black standard 10/Pennant (BMC ****?) that your grandpa had for a couple of years!
Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2008, 01:44   #607
BANNED

As announced, The Fiat Classic Car Club-Mumbai is organising a drive to Lonavala on the 6th of July.

Last edited by aah78 : 2nd July 2008 at 01:33. Reason: Redundant link removed.
Old 2nd July 2008, 01:27   #608
BANNED

Please check the following post in the Team BHP & FCCC Mega Drive to Lonavala- 6th July thread for meeting schedule.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/886263-post60.html

Last edited by aah78 : 2nd July 2008 at 02:39. Reason: Edited -> Post #: 60 - Team BHP & FCCC Mega Drive to Lonavala- 6th July.
Old 3rd July 2008, 00:16   #609
BANNED

Here is the final Schedule. As per decided last meet, We will be going to Lonavala for brunch/lunch and coming back.

07 30 AM- Meet at Pritam Hotel Dadar.
07 45 AM- Leave from Pritam Hotel
08 15 AM- Meet at Palm Beach Road just after the entry point ( vashi)
08 30 AM- Leave from Palm Beach road

We will stop at the Food Court just sfter the first tool plaza on the expressway or at McDonalds before the expressway

We will not be going to Amby valley as it could be dangerous with the amount of reported accidents taking place.

We will mostly be having Lunch/ Brunch at either ElTaj (Kamats) or at Sunny da Dhaba.
Old 3rd July 2008, 09:59   #610
BHPian

Default FCCCI drive to Lonavla

I am IN! Confirmed!

And hopefully as planned Rohan, Karlosbhai and Adheeshbhai will join me.

@Karl : Any confirmations from The Mole?

Last edited by President : 3rd July 2008 at 10:03.
President is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2008, 18:04   #611
BANNED

Mole is feeling unwell. He went to germany for some work and ever since he is back he has been feeling uneasy. But he will come (health permitted..). Lets hope for the best!! I think he had too much beer in germany!!
Old 3rd July 2008, 19:53   #612
BHPian

Guys check out this Fiat Millicento, it had ( DOKER FIAT 1955 ) Yes i spelt it right DOKER written in white radium on the rear.
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Classic Car Club - Mumbai-image000.jpg  

egangsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2008, 21:05   #613
BANNED

What the hell has he done!!! ED, Shoot him!! Also, please put this in the wierd mods section.
Old 3rd July 2008, 21:26   #614
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by egangsta View Post
Guys check out this Fiat Millicento, it had ( DOKER FIAT 1955 ) Yes i spelt it right DOKER written in white radium on the rear.
Wow, that sure is a piece of work! Also note the bootlid is modified and the rear glass is from a later model. Unless its a later model with a dukkar bum grafted on.
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2008, 01:11   #615
Senior - BHPian

Yukkk .
What has he done to a fiat ?!? Edward, mereko uska naam aur pataa bol.
I will do to him what he has done to that pretty 1100. Then he'll be the one to be called Dukkar !!
SuperSelect is offline   Reply With Quote