Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Old 11th October 2008, 13:59   #1096
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
6th Jan?? you mean 26th jan for the republic day rally eh!! Also, my Delite should also be spick and span by then!!
I thought you bought that Delite to sell it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Rather silly. Classic cars around the world have their own clubs and at the same time they take part in rallies organised for all sorts of vintage and classic cars.
But, he'd rather have cars that are not even close to being classics participate in a rally for vintage and classic cars.
Bang on Addy, who brings a modern RR, a Hummer to a vintage car rally?

Last edited by moralfibre : 11th October 2008 at 14:00.
moralfibre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2008, 14:11   #1097
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Bang on Addy, who brings a modern RR, a Hummer to a vintage car rally?
This Happens Only In INDIA .
By the way Moral these come under Modern Classics according the VCCCI. Next we shall have the ATOM also for the rallies.
speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2008, 14:25   #1098
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
This Happens Only In INDIA .
By the way Moral these come under Modern Classics according the VCCCI. Next we shall have the ATOM also for the rallies.
What on earth are "Modern" classics? Have they defined what cars could fall under "Modern Classics"? LOL, next we see a Zen Estilo as a modern classic just because a famous collectors wife has one in pink. How stupid.
Old 11th October 2008, 14:37   #1099
BHPian

Default VCCCI issues

Quote:
Rjvora and Cyrus it is not the first time this issue has come up with VCCCI. He did have an issue with my brother and friends meeting up for drives to Lonavala in their classics, so this is is a club formed not under VCCCI wing.
The bigwig you talk of Cyrus is not against Fiats joining VCCCI but is against the lacs of fiat owners (Taxi) also joining in. Ronny used to take part in the rally's with his LHD if i remember right. The problem here is no one stood up to the bigwig and put their point across, so it was just taken as random talk. If you guys are series i ask my Father to put the point across. This will be so much better for the deserving cars than haveing modern cars and bikes for the Rallys.

Aditya if i drive a fiat to the rally there would be no issues, but if you drive your car there you would be asked to take your car out and be a spectator. Thats the difference made. Take note of the owners of the modern cars and you shall get your answer.
Speedy! I have taken part in almost all the rallies organised by VCCCI in my 1964 ITALIAN Left Hand Drive FIAT eversince 2002, including the PUC Introduction Rally at Marine Drive, the Dukes Retreat Rally from Nariman Point, Rotary Rally at Nariman Point and all the other VCCCI event Rallies. I am a member of the VCCCI eversince. My car was very welcomed by the chairman and I think the registration has got something to do with the MAKE, MODEL, HISTORY and CLASSIFICATION of the vehicle. If not, as you mentioned there would be more FIAT Taxis participating than the actual Vintage and Classics. I myself own a couple of FIATS manufactured in India, that I would like to participate with at the VCCCI Rallies, but I will stay restricted to what I am allowed with keeping egoes aside.

Last edited by President : 11th October 2008 at 14:46.
President is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2008, 14:43   #1100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What on earth are "Modern" classics? Have they defined what cars could fall under "Modern Classics"? LOL, next we see a Zen Estilo as a modern classic just because a famous collectors wife has one in pink. How stupid.
No defination is given for it but it started with a few influential people getting their cars and bikes. If i remember right is says 1980 onward.
So you have the four categories. Vintage, Classic, Post Classic and Modern Classic.
I called my biker friends for the second rally after this was introduced. Thats when the Valkery was there. I was told to ask them to leave but i pointed out the certain persons bike to leave as well so the guys were allowed to stay.

@ President, the Rallys were were i had seen your car for the first time. I agree the EGOS are big and atleast some if not all the cars should get to be a part of VCCCI. I can find out which ones would be able to participate. According to me the pre 65 models (sucide door models) should be allowed. President i had spoken to the concerned person at one point on this issue but i did not recieve any support from anyone else, so the topic was brushed off saying that why are you interested when fiat owners are not.

Last edited by speedy : 11th October 2008 at 15:02.
Old 11th October 2008, 14:48   #1101
Team-BHP Support

While we all would love to see more and more of our FCCC members take part in larger common events, practicalities must be considered. Space constraints are always an issue, so entries have to be selective. VCCCI has no anti Fiat policy, Rony, Gogi and me have participated in the past, as have 3-4 other cars as recently as last year. Entry is clearly on organizers discretion, and they naturally will only select the few really nice cars. As much as I hate to accept it, allowing an ordinary late 60s/70s Fiat/Premier to participate would mean accepting dozens and dozens of lacklustre entries. Untill our car is fully restored, fully original and in perfect condition we should not even want to participate in a competitive event.

Regarding modern supercars being a part of the event, I never used to like the idea but now I have a change of heart. They are crowd pullers, they add flavour to the event, and there is no harm if they join, is there? We rarely get to see them anyways.

So before using such an aggressive tone on an open forum, can we please think a little harder on both sides of the story?
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2008, 14:51   #1102
Team-BHP Support

Karl, do you think having a crowd puller event is more apt than an enthusiast grabber?
Old 11th October 2008, 14:56   #1103
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Karl, do you think having a crowd puller event is more apt than an enthusiast grabber?
The events are to celebrate unique, collectable cars that we don't see on the roads everyday. The crowds lining up the streets is a big part of the festivities. And wouldn't you say most (if not all) supercars are anyways an enthusiasts car?
Old 11th October 2008, 18:53   #1104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
The events are to celebrate unique, collectable cars that we don't see on the roads everyday. The crowds lining up the streets is a big part of the festivities. And wouldn't you say most (if not all) supercars are anyways an enthusiasts car?

with Moral Karl. You say Unique collectable cars, so they should be cars in limited production (Porsche GT/VEYRON) and not cars you can buy off the shelf.You dont see the ML everyday on the road so does that mean i can enter it for the Rallys.I agree they are crowd pullers but not at the cost of a deserveing classic not being allowed to participate in their own event. The crowd used to line the street even when i was 10yrs old riding with my father dureing the rallys, we did not have modern cars participating then, so why do we need modern cars to do this when our Vintage and Classic cars are enough to do this.
I do not like the idea of Modern cars being mixed with the vintages and the least said the better. I just feel the name should be changed from Vintage and Classic Car Club of India to Vintage/Classic and Modern Car Club of India, then i would be able to accept the modern cars too at Rallys. Come on Karl we all know we are just accepting what is thrown at us half heartedly.

Last edited by speedy : 11th October 2008 at 18:58.
Old 11th October 2008, 19:09   #1105
BANNED

Quote:
Rjvora and Cyrus it is not the first time this issue has come up with VCCCI. He did have an issue with my brother and friends meeting up for drives to Lonavala in their classics, so this is is a club formed not under VCCCI wing.
The bigwig you talk of Cyrus is not against Fiats joining VCCCI but is against the lacs of fiat owners (Taxi) also joining in. Ronny used to take part in the rally's with his LHD if i remember right. The problem here is no one stood up to the bigwig and put their point across, so it was just taken as random talk. If you guys are series i ask my Father to put the point across. This will be so much better for the deserving cars than haveing modern cars and bikes for the Rallys.

Aditya if i drive a fiat to the rally there would be no issues, but if you drive your car there you would be asked to take your car out and be a spectator. Thats the difference made. Take note of the owners of the modern cars and you shall get your answer.
My Sentiments Exactly. I remember roni taking part and even winning once. But, what you say is right, Only worthy cars should be allowed in the VCCCI. But ALL fiats are welcome in the FCCCI..

Also, Karl, I remember seeing a 1966 Delite in Grey owned by one parsi family in the 2007 event.

Last edited by Cyrus43 : 11th October 2008 at 19:13.
Cyrus43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2008, 19:14   #1106
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
with Moral Karl. You say Unique collectable cars, so they should be cars in limited production (Porsche GT/VEYRON) and not cars you can buy off the shelf.You dont see the ML everyday on the road so does that mean i can enter it for the Rallys.I agree they are crowd pullers but not at the cost of a deserveing classic not being allowed to participate in their own event. The crowd used to line the street even when i was 10yrs old riding with my father dureing the rallys, we did not have modern cars participating then, so why do we need modern cars to do this when our Vintage and Classic cars are enough to do this.
I do not like the idea of Modern cars being mixed with the vintages and the least said the better. I just feel the name should be changed from Vintage and Classic Car Club of India to Vintage/Classic and Modern Car Club of India, then i would be able to accept the modern cars too at Rallys. Come on Karl we all know we are just accepting what is thrown at us half heartedly.
Well I see an ML everyday on the road, so that doesn't apply to me as my neighbour has one So it boils down to the definition of what is unique and collectible, which I cannot answer.

I doubt that a deserving classic will be refused in order to accomodate a supercar. Do you know of any particular instances?

Edit - Cyrus there was no grey 66 Delight entered in either 2007 kala ghoda rally, there was a 64 model, and it was Ronys. In 2006 there was a white 65 car entered by a Muslim gentleman.

Last edited by karlosdeville : 11th October 2008 at 19:16.
Old 11th October 2008, 19:34   #1107
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
This is exactly what I meant. If it's a Vintage and Classic Car event, keep it to oldies. Don't mix it with new cars. I agree about the entry into the club too. Restrict it to cars in original and good condition.
Just seems plain stupid that a current generation Merc SL or Hummer takes part in a Vintage Car rally.
Aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2008, 19:40   #1108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Well I see an ML everyday on the road, so that doesn't apply to me as my neighbour has one So it boils down to the definition of what is unique and collectible, which I cannot answer.

I doubt that a deserving classic will be refused in order to accomodate a supercar. Do you know of any particular instances?
Haha Karl it is not for you and me but For the less fortunate people who dont get to see the cars everyday. i see a Bentley almost everyday too .
There is no definition of what is unique and collectible Karl. There should be one. Like in My opinioun the 230c, 280ce come as unique compared to the regular 123's. Something like this. soon you would have the M5, S 500,63AMG,SL500, SLK 350 and the M3 etc at the events.

Like mentioned by you they have a certain number alloted for the rallys. i do know of two or three cars that were not allowed to participate stateing their cars were not upto the mark and the total number for the event was met. At the rally the modern cars were there. I would have prefered includeing those cars and leaving the moderns out. The less said the better, if certain peoples modern cars are refused they might stop bringing their vintages and sponsoring certain functions.

Last edited by speedy : 11th October 2008 at 19:44.
Old 11th October 2008, 20:07   #1109
Senior - BHPian

Guys Guys, I think if your car is fairly rare, original and well maintained no one will refuse your car entry to any concourse event, even at pebble beach there is a seperate showing for modern classics they never compete with the other categories but they pull in the crowds. Crowds are essential as they heighten public interest, increased public intrest means you get better facilities and better venues for your events. Which in my opinion is essential for events of this nature.

Now as far as allowing FCCCI cars to compete, I think FCCCI should themselves first encourage, restoration and maintainence of members cars, experts are available to guide and help members take their classics to good levels. We should have some annual competitive judging in various categories like original restration, performance based restoration etc. Once we have good stock of cars in our club we should have no problem competing at VCCCI.
the mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2008, 20:26   #1110
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
Now as far as allowing FCCCI cars to compete, I think FCCCI should themselves first encourage, restoration and maintainence of members cars, experts are available to guide and help members take their classics to good levels. We should have some annual competitive judging in various categories like original restration, performance based restoration etc. Once we have good stock of cars in our club we should have no problem competing at VCCCI.
There is absolutely no way we will have competitions amongst ourselves in the FCCC, it will only invite trouble. Firstly we need to be registered in order to compete. For that we need a registered office, a bank account, a treasurer, minutes to be recorded and so on. Competitions amongst us will just create bad blood, believe me, I speak from experience!