Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2009, 10:36   #1741
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: IXE
Posts: 575
Thanked: 77 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by john a milne View Post

Anyone know where it is located?
The telephone number given is from Delhi
girishpv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2009, 11:00   #1742
BHPian
 
john a milne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto / Calcutta
Posts: 907
Thanked: 396 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishpv View Post
The telephone number given is from Delhi
Thanks.

I had a VW bus a long time ago and always wanted a camper, came very close a few years back but my garage was full.

We are flying through Delhi next month on our way to Calcutta, would love to drive down and see some of the country rather than fly over it. Would this be practicable and safe?
john a milne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2009, 11:06   #1743
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: IXE
Posts: 575
Thanked: 77 Times
Default

It shouldn't be any problem for driving, but all depends on the condition of the vehicle.
By photo it looks nice, but unless you drive it....never know

Asking price is 2.5L or best offer , as per the advertiser.

All the best
girishpv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2009, 13:19   #1744
Senior - BHPian
 
Spitfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Panaji - Goa/Bangalore - Karnataka
Posts: 3,240
Thanked: 599 Times
Default

Pardon my ignorance. But how is a 82 VW Camper a Classic?

PS: Please don't give the analogy of the M800.
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2009, 14:59   #1745
Senior - BHPian
 
wasif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Abu Dhabi (for now)
Posts: 2,927
Thanked: 332 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Pardon my ignorance. But how is a 82 VW Camper a Classic?

PS: Please don't give the analogy of the M800.
Well it is over 25 years old so technically it can be looked at as reaching classic status.

The funny part is that when the Ford Model A's vere to be found on all street corners nobody wanted to buy them and now when they have all but dissapeared there are people lamenting about their high prices.

Its better to get this at a reasonable price now and look towards its appreciation in the future than to let it go and one day feel bad that we did let it go.
wasif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2009, 15:44   #1746
Senior - BHPian
 
V-16's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: mumbai
Posts: 4,566
Thanked: 819 Times
Default

i think the vans worth it!! if i had place in my garage i would have contacted the owner
V-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2009, 18:39   #1747
Senior - BHPian
 
wasif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Abu Dhabi (for now)
Posts: 2,927
Thanked: 332 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
i think the vans worth it!! if i had place in my garage i would have contacted the owner
Maybe that "shuffling" of your protfolio may create some desired space and get you membership VW Campers Club
wasif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2009, 18:47   #1748
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Stanher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hyderabad, AP
Posts: 6,196
Thanked: 1,309 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
The funny part is that when the Ford Model A's vere to be found on all street corners nobody wanted to buy them and now when they have all but dissapeared there are people lamenting about their high prices.
Hmmm.....doesn't this sound familiar? Oh yeah, it is the same case with Heralds!
Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2009, 19:14   #1749
BHPian
 
john a milne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto / Calcutta
Posts: 907
Thanked: 396 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Maybe that "shuffling" of your protfolio may create some desired space and get you membership VW Campers Club
-Is there a VW campers club in India?
-Do many people travel around in their Campers or Trailers for vacations or a "walk about" here.
-I mentioned the possiblity of a camper bus to a Bengally friend here in the US
and he strongly advised against even touring with our Fiat 1100.

Would appriciate some comments.
john a milne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2009, 03:04   #1750
BHPian
 
allana13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Maidenhead
Posts: 541
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

VW campers are classic models. The later models are very expensive

Would be good to know if there are any VW clubs In india.

Around the world there are loads of VW clubs
allana13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2009, 10:32   #1751
Senior - BHPian
 
wasif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Abu Dhabi (for now)
Posts: 2,927
Thanked: 332 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by john a milne View Post
-Is there a VW campers club in India?
-Do many people travel around in their Campers or Trailers for vacations or a "walk about" here.
-I mentioned the possiblity of a camper bus to a Bengally friend here in the US
and he strongly advised against even touring with our Fiat 1100.

Would appriciate some comments.
John.

I am surpriesed that your Indian friend has given you such a negative reply regarding touring India in a car.

Be assured this would be the ideal manner to be used to tour India. I have always driven myself around and this frees you to go and do as you please.

Its gonna be even more fun in a Camper as it opens up endless possibilities. You will have to be carfull wher you park for the nights but with due care exercised it would be great fun.

I am not aware of any VW camper clubs that exist in India. Maybe you could start something on these lines there.
wasif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2009, 11:03   #1752
Senior - BHPian
 
canonball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,463
Thanked: 181 Times
Default

The only issue with this Particular camper is that it is LHD not the BEST travel companioin on our RHD complicated roads. Albiet she could be easly converted with so many similar model scrap/defunct cars lying around. All you need is the dash and if you are very particular you need to change the headlights at best rest is pretty interchangable etc
canonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2009, 14:03   #1753
Senior - BHPian
 
V-16's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: mumbai
Posts: 4,566
Thanked: 819 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Maybe that "shuffling" of your protfolio may create some desired space and get you membership VW Campers Club
Not likely ill shuffle my portfolio for a camper. Maybe for something more desirable ..ifffffff it exists and iffffff i can affoard it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
John.

I am surpriesed that your Indian friend has given you such a negative reply regarding touring India in a car.

Be assured this would be the ideal manner to be used to tour India. I have always driven myself around and this frees you to go and do as you please.

Its gonna be even more fun in a Camper as it opens up endless possibilities. You will have to be carfull wher you park for the nights but with due care exercised it would be great fun.

I am not aware of any VW camper clubs that exist in India. Maybe you could start something on these lines there.
I would agree completely with Wasif. I have been an ardent traveller by road and even now propagate it fully but due time constraints now and further due to my wife being very prone to motion sickness (read: car sickness) it has become more of a dream.

Moreover travelling in a camper should bring out the compulsive road junkie in one. Of course there being no actual facilities for camper parking in India, one would have to have the safety aspect clinically charted out. That being taken care of, i think it would be fun.

@-Jhon Jhon, why don't you take the initiative and form India's Campers Club, assuming one doesn't already exist.
I would like to enrol right now!!

SIGHhhhhhh...!! wanna travel!!
V-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2009, 15:53   #1754
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: mumbai
Posts: 1,101
Thanked: 82 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
For what its worth that camper looks good to me at that price. Look at it this way its all ready without any work required and its value will only go up in the future.

So if there is anyone interested then its a good medium term investment.
Wasif, Are you an Investor or a Collector with a Passion for Cars?
scooby05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2009, 16:58   #1755
Senior - BHPian
 
wasif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Abu Dhabi (for now)
Posts: 2,927
Thanked: 332 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby05 View Post
Wasif, Are you an Investor or a Collector with a Passion for Cars?

I am neither dear sir but I do have a certain passion for these machines and I can see the way the wind blows and what needs to be done to keep insulated from their effects
wasif is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Indian Apps that help you with the purchase / servicing of cars Rajeevraj The Indian Car Scene 28 27th November 2016 19:13
Help required: Electra or TBTS or Classic 350 or classic 500 shailu Motorbikes 66 21st March 2016 23:29
Enfield Bullet : Classic 350 versus Classic 500 zaks Motorbikes 173 1st June 2015 18:19
what's the difference between a grey market purchase and a B&W purchase wannabelean In-Car Entertainment 99 3rd June 2009 16:54
Is the Ford Ikon Owners Manual available to purchase? InternetUser Technical Stuff 11 15th January 2008 13:41


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 10:29.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks