Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Old 10th February 2010, 05:42   #1981
BHPian

Default Morris Minor in Kerala

This ad I came across when searching the internet. The owner quoted a price 3.5lacs ! He claims it has been restored and in real good condition.

There is another in Karnataka in Belgaum, for which the price is 2.75lacs.

Recently I saw the advertisement of FORD MECURY MONTEREY MARAUDER 1965 in the olx website. No mention on the price.
okvinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2010, 13:46   #1982
Senior - BHPian

Suren, is that Mustang your car?
V-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2010, 13:51   #1983
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
@rjalihal: Hi, the car you mention can certainly be classified as a collectible classic. Please do post detailed pictures to gauge her overall condition. Whether you can get her back in mint condition or not, depends on how much is missing in terms of parts, trim, engine, etc, as I believe most would be difficult to source in India.
Is this how the car looks ?
Yes this is what it looks like, colour is sky blue. Will post the pics when i go to Belgaum for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
This car is not a collectible, just because old, not many seen, some may like to collect. If you like the car, there is a complete car for sale. Send me a PM and I will put you on to the broker.
You will not get spares easily, the glasses will have to be made, an expense. Better to buy the complete car.
The car should look like what SuperSelect has posted.

Cheers harit
Thanks for the info. Will let you know if i am interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
Hi dude, I visit Belgaum often for work and will be there in a week or two if you want I can take a look at it and help you make a decision. But as Harit has said its not worth breaking your back to get it restored as you are likely to find one in a better condition.
Hey! Nice to know that you go there frequently. Well, i may be going lowing weekend (19th/20th). Well let you know definitely! We can take a look at it for sure. Its in the industrial estate just off the Goa highway. Will keep in touch!
rjalihal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2010, 17:15   #1984
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Suren, is that Mustang your car?
Yes , i had a 1971 and a 1973 mustang to sold it about 3 yrs ago
LandSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2010, 17:47   #1985
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandSpeed View Post
Yes , I had a 1971 and a 1973 Mustang too sold them about 3 yrs ago
Would you believe that BOTH these Mustangs are now Bangalore!
And how is your 'Prowler" doing?

Cheers harit
harit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2010, 19:19   #1986
Senior - BHPian

Hey landspeed always find your cars in the 12 to 20 year bracket i.e black/blue? Supra, and now this pony car over priced. Saw your supras and they looked no where close to 22 lacs being quoted leave alone the teens. The only reasonably priced car I saw with you was the SL (R129). What gives?
canonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2010, 01:06   #1987
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonball View Post
Hey landspeed always find your cars in the 12 to 20 year bracket i.e black/blue? Supra, and now this pony car over priced. Saw your supras and they looked no where close to 22 lacs being quoted leave alone the teens. The only reasonably priced car I saw with you was the SL (R129). What gives?
Unfortunately the way the Indian market works i have to quote real high due to these dealers roaming around and trying to negotiate and also the buyers at times - for example the supra i quoted 22 and i am willing to sell it for 17 with a paintjob / the mustang to the price in negotiable also have a lexus ls 400 for 3.75 - the sl went for 7 lakhs so u can imagine -

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Would you believe that BOTH these Mustangs are now Bangalore!
And how is your 'Prowler" doing?

Cheers harit
the 1973 went to banglore and the 1971 indore thn not sure where it went from there -

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Last edited by Technocrat : 11th February 2010 at 21:37. Reason: Pleas read the note in your post, thanks
Old 11th February 2010, 12:03   #1988
Senior - BHPian

I like your candidness you seem professional but the Supra is still overpriced at 17 . Yes the red one indeed looked great on the outside but I preferred to pass up on checking her out. Let me know when you get any other SL's R129. cheers
Old 11th February 2010, 18:13   #1989
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandSpeed View Post
the sl went for 7 lakhs so u can imagine -
Was this a Red SL R129?
the mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2010, 19:03   #1990
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonball View Post
I like your candidness you seem professional but the Supra is still overpriced at 17 . Yes the red one indeed looked great on the outside but I preferred to pass up on checking her out. Let me know when you get any other SL's R129. cheers
Price is a relative thing buddy. What is expensive for one may be a bargain for another. Especially if there are not many such models for sale. It would be difficult to put a price on any classic now a days.

I know of R-129 SLs which were available for 5 and 9 and then others which are available for 18. Cant really put a price to that. I bought my R-129 1991 SL 300-24 for 15.5 and spent another 2 on perfecting it, many thought i was nuts.
Suddenly there were guys lining up to buy it off from me, some quoting ridiculously less than what i had originally paid for it...crazy. Now from those same guys, I am getting some crazily high offers and am tempted to sell. Who knows if they can convince me...maybe

Just mentioned the above coz i wanted to emphasize that in classics, condition matters more than in the newer breed. I know of a 1993 SL 500 which went for 7.5 a year ago, the buyer is still crying.

So just because a particular type is sold for a certain price, it does not make that price a benchmark, similarly a similar bad car sold for a low price does not make that price a benchmark either.

Last edited by V-16 : 11th February 2010 at 19:06. Reason: Add
V-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2010, 19:38   #1991
Senior - BHPian

Thx for the wisdom V16. Best of luck on the sale of your SL.
Old 11th February 2010, 21:57   #1992
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Price is a relative thing buddy. What is expensive for one may be a bargain for another. Especially if there are not many such models for sale. It would be difficult to put a price on any classic now a days.

I know of R-129 SLs which were available for 5 and 9 and then others which are available for 18. Cant really put a price to that. I bought my R-129 1991 SL 300-24 for 15.5 and spent another 2 on perfecting it, many thought i was nuts.
Suddenly there were guys lining up to buy it off from me, some quoting ridiculously less than what i had originally paid for it...crazy. Now from those same guys, I am getting some crazily high offers and am tempted to sell. Who knows if they can convince me...maybe

Just mentioned the above coz i wanted to emphasize that in classics, condition matters more than in the newer breed. I know of a 1993 SL 500 which went for 7.5 a year ago, the buyer is still crying.

So just because a particular type is sold for a certain price, it does not make that price a benchmark, similarly a similar bad car sold for a low price does not make that price a benchmark either.
i completely agree - but when one wants to sell it out in the market and is making a quote out to the lay man he has/she has to be practical about these prices they put out - i have seen ppl quoting me 50k for my mustang mach1 at times and i have seen ppl saying they want to sell a mustang mach1 for 30lakhs and they both r wrong cause alot goes into deciding the price of the vehical , the condition , the restoration how difficult it is going to be , etc etc etc - so if any1 wants any kind of help in knowing the realistic price is welcome to msg me would be glad to help and NO sl's on me nymore
Old 11th February 2010, 22:48   #1993
BHPian

Default Vintage & Classic Cars for Sale

FOR SALE
Vintage & Classic cars and motorcylces will on display for sale on the 21st, February, 2010. For further details you may follow the post below:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...ml#post1726833 (HMCI -National Autojumble -2010)
S.B.Jatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2010, 12:58   #1994
Senior - BHPian

Landspeed you hit the bulls eye I find a lot of people quoting crazy prices for cars not worth anywhere near their real value, can't comment on the prices being offered like 50K example you stated as I have not intereacted with buyers, but I can imagine and believe what you are saying but in the final candid evaluation I am sure you will agree in current circumstances there are more of the former than latter.

I think even the dealer community is getting pretty crowded and there is want for logical & objective professional guys like you, I mostly meet dealers who are either in denail that they are dealers - A Very Dangerous Lot some even maskerading as collectors on tbhp, then those who think everyone is a sucker and they know it all, and some old foggies who are stuck in 1974 raj a sad lot.

I called a reputed import dealer in khar/bandra to sell a car he quoted half of what he qouted some else looking to buy the same car for sale with a veiw of 100% margin on a 8+ year old car. I think again your 50K example smells like an investors/dealer or vinatge car speculator offer prices.

Last edited by canonball : 12th February 2010 at 13:02.
Old 12th February 2010, 13:12   #1995
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.B.Jatti View Post
FOR SALE
Vintage & Classic cars and motorcylces will on display for sale on the 21st, February, 2010. For further details you may follow the post below:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...ml#post1726833 (HMCI -National Autojumble -2010)

What cars and bike are for sale sir?

No details yet on the link.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote