Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Old 5th June 2010, 12:49   #2221

volkswagen splitwindow for sale in delhi
Attached Images

raizada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2010, 13:25   #2222
BHPian

How much is the owner expecting? and are the papers there. and is it a delhi registeration(very important if you buy a car in delhi).
mycarhasablower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2010, 15:10   #2223
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raizada View Post

Car looks very restoreable but it will also depend on the asking price of the car. Could we have more details on that please ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycarhasablower View Post
And are the papers there. and is it a delhi registeration(very important if you buy a car in delhi).
The papers should be their but they don't have to be a delhi registration . Since its an old car the laws are abit more relaxed for it. Check the number of outstation classic cars that are in delhi today. There is no such hard and fast rule that it is very important.
IndrojitSircar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2010, 15:32   #2224
BHPian

Well in delhi the rules are different from the rest of india due to a supreme court ruling a few years ago. No cars from other states that dont conform to prevailing emission norms can be RE-REGISTERED here. Trust me, have done a lot of running around. This is the case with not only delhi but all of n.c.r. I would be the happiest if someone came and proved to me that i was wrong. At the max you can register a car in its original state with a temporary address from that state and your permanent address in delhi

Last edited by mycarhasablower : 5th June 2010 at 15:33.
Old 5th June 2010, 15:54   #2225
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
is it a delhi registeration(very important if you buy a car in delhi).
I'm guessing, going by the condition, that it would be a Goan regn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
The papers should be their but they don't have to be a delhi registration . Since its an old car the laws are abit more relaxed for it. Check the number of outstation classic cars that are in delhi today. There is no such hard and fast rule that it is very important.
Quote:
Well in delhi the rules are different from the rest of india due to a supreme court ruling a few years ago. No cars from other states that dont conform to prevailing emission norms can be RE-REGISTERED here.
At the max you can register a car in its original state with a temporary address from that state and your permanent address in delhi
While I'll have to agree with Indrojit that there are many outstation classics in Delhi, its also possible that they've been done the way you say- ie. use a temporary address in the other state and run them in Delhi. But then, getting things like fitness etc. done would be a pain!

Last edited by Stanher : 5th June 2010 at 15:57.
Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2010, 15:54   #2226
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How much is the owner expecting? and are the papers there. and is it a delhi registeration(very important if you buy a car in delhi).
Quote:

Quote:
Well in delhi the rules are different from the rest of india due to a supreme court ruling a few years ago. No cars from other states that dont conform to prevailing emission norms can be RE-REGISTERED here. Trust me, have done a lot of running around. This is the case with not only delhi but all of n.c.r. I would be the happiest if someone came and proved to me that i was wrong. At the max you can register a car in its original state with a temporary address from that state and your permanent address in delhi

Your posts look confusing to me. But what i could gather quite a bit from it.
Anyway you don't need to RE-REGISTER or transfer your car here in delhi. You can use the existing registration and drive the car with out any problems.However i am aware of the supreme court ruling and have also seen cars here with out station numbers belonging to very close friends of mine. The car is used regulerly and without any problems.This only applies to vintage and classic cars and not reguler cars. On this forum and speacially this section you will see many delhi threads with cars having out station registration.

On the other hand what you are saying is true that you cannot RE-REGISTER but hardly the cops stop any classic car here.If it was a Honda city or something like thing then you would have had loads of problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post

While I'll have to agree with Indrojit that there are many outstation classics in Delhi, its also possible that they've been done the way you say- ie. use a temporary address in the other state and run them in Delhi. But then, getting things like fitness etc. done would be a pain!
Sir most of the cars in india just have registration numbers but most owners do nto have any papers in true sense. The cars are being used on a reguler basis and apart from that even if you give a temp delhi address in another state it wouldn't really matter. Apart from that hardly anyone gets the fitness done for such cars.Most of them would be unfit to run due to the emissions.

Last edited by IndrojitSircar : 5th June 2010 at 16:09.
Old 5th June 2010, 16:28   #2227
BANNED

Quote:
Thats the 1967 Split bus,1500cc LO series engine and a RHD

Would request you to assist us with further more details, one photo teaser you give is not enough,Price with or without papers,

Any one of us here would be more than happy to rescue that car.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2010, 18:13   #2228
BHPian

Well i like my cars papers in order. Its a peace of mind thing. What else can be a proof of your ownership.Also the relaxation in rules for classics is a rule that is there in delhi too, including emissions, just that cars from other states can be brought in. AFAIK there is no exception for classics from other states. But i have never got definite clear answers on these questions. I think ill file an RTI if i have extra time on my hands sometime soon

@stanher: clearing fitness test is no problem for a fully restored car AFAIK

Last edited by mycarhasablower : 5th June 2010 at 18:16.
Old 5th June 2010, 18:18   #2229
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, but I meant for a car from another state, say MH or even from the south, which is based in Delhi.
Old 5th June 2010, 18:37   #2230
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well i like my cars papers in order. Its a peace of mind thing. What else can be a proof of your ownership.Also the relaxation in rules for classics is a rule that is there in delhi too, including emissions, just that cars from other states can be brought in. AFAIK there is no exception for classics from other states. But i have never got definite clear answers on these questions. I think ill file an RTI if i have extra time on my hands sometime soon
Liking is one thing and something being very important is another thing. The world and other people don't work according to our likes. I know the rules and regulations in delhi and other metro cities and what works and what doesn't work. If there is no exception for classic cars then how do classic cars in delhi ply with out station numbers. Do you know the number of classic cars that are in delhi and how many of them are registered in delhi?

You could maybe post your questions on the appropriate thread -

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...-classics.html (RTO Documentation for Vintage/Classics)

Quote:

I think you would like to check that out once again and then say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Yes, but I meant for a car from another state, say MH or even from the south, which is based in Delhi.
No it isn't if you really want to get it done then you can take the car down to which ever state get it done and bring it back. But how many get it done?

Last edited by IndrojitSircar : 5th June 2010 at 18:42.
Old 5th June 2010, 19:19   #2231
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
if you really want to get it done then you can take the car down to which ever state get it done and bring it back. But how many get it done?
Which exactly was my point!
Incidentally, this reminds me of a conversation I had with a collector from Pune once, who has a vintage car with a Mysore state (MY) series regn. I asked him how he still has the old regn. and he replied that it was never transferred to MH, so regn. never changed. So then I asked him how would one in that case, manage with the fitness renewal etc. and he said "Who would check all that? For these cars?"
Old 5th June 2010, 19:42   #2232
BHPian

Well as you said a large number of classic cars in delhi ae registered in other states, maybe they dont have papers at all an the numberplates adorn them for authenticity purposes, but there could be some that have complete papers as well. It is a known fact that in most states you will be given a hard time if your car doesnt have a registration plate from that state. Delhi is one of the only places in the country where cops dont fuss over this issue. Well illl say i am lucky to be living in delhi but having complete documents is part of the authenticity of a classic. That the car is no less than it was in its haydays. People like to keep the original reg. no. of the car for authenticity purpose, you could say i like to go the extra mile and i like to keep the papers complete as well.

To each their own. Some collectors may never drive their cars anywhere except rallies, but i prefer to keep my options open, and want to be able to drive the car whenever i want to where ever i want to.

Ps: Last year i had a major crash with a police gypsy in wich both cars were totalled. I am thanking my stars for my obsession with keeping the documents complete otherwise i would have been in a much bigger mess than i am in now. And for this reason i dont want to compromise on the legality bit of owning a car
Old 5th June 2010, 20:56   #2233
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

it is welcome to see people like you prefering to have cars with clear documents/papers.
as you may have noticed some people are really excited when they see a vintage/classic are available without papers/documents.
that is really a disturbing trend
ajay99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2010, 21:09   #2234
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
it is welcome to see people like you prefering to have cars with clear documents/papers.
as you may have noticed some people are really excited when they see a vintage/classic are available without papers/documents.
that is really a disturbing trend

A rare car not having document does not demerit the car from being restored, I consider it "Sacrilege" to abandon rare cars because there are no documents

Just like we get a spare engine for a car, you can as well search for the document and attach them. Also a heavy percentage of lovely exotic cars across India with many collectors dont have proper documents.

When a Classic is Available, it is Classic Available, whatever condition it maybe in, it might also serve as a Donor car.

There are different ways a true restorer has to look into such cars.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2010, 21:39   #2235
BHPian

I completely agree with PAVAN, that a car just because it doesnt have documents has no value is so not right.But i have little money to spare , particularly cuz its not my money and i dont earn yet(i am in college) so i need to get maximum out of every penny. Thats why i asked if the vw bus has papers. that just applies to me, that if i take the bus ill need the papers, i am in no way discouraging others from taking it up as a project.

I being a hardcore automobile aficionado treat cars as if they were living like us; the same respect and care.

However i also agree with ajay on the need for complete documentation, it only increases the value of the car and saves you a lot of hassle. So if by any means (including getting papers from a scrapped car and etching the engine)it is possible to get the paperwork completed , id rather spend a month running around and get it done (and bask in the satisfaction of owning a truly priceless classic) than just give up without trying and just decide to be lazy.

Trust me whenever i see any classic rotting away i feel a verryyy strong urge to obtain it and restore it, but limitations like time and money just dont let certain things materialize.

Also restoring a car takes a lot more time for me than it does for most of you since i like to do pretty much everything myself. engine, bodywork, suspension, painting.

So what may not be a sensible project for me mayb a gold mine for another.In the end we all together are just trying to save these classics, it isnt one mans job.

@ajay: i must reiterate the fact that i dont support the idea of scrapping cars just cuz they dont have documents. there are collectors that keep their cars like museum exhibits and these are never driven, such cars make perfect aquisitions for these collectors. And you never know if how the law changes tomorrow, cuz if they allow re registration of these cars tomorrow you might end up kicking urself for wanting to scrap them. (How I wish that team bhp can be reason behind a change in the laws that makes life easier for all vintage and classic car collectors in india. If one supreme curt ruling can make things difficult for us , another can make laws that make owning classics a cakewalk)

Last edited by mycarhasablower : 5th June 2010 at 21:49.