Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Old 24th February 2011, 16:58   #2866
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Default re: Classic Cars available for purchase

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinephraim View Post
Vintage car fiat 1956 elegant ( millecento italy ) - Kochi: Cars in Kochi at Quikr Kochi

Fiatians! I guess the price quoted is what it will take to bring it back to original spec!
Yes, but why restore to orginal spec? Yes the value of the car goes up exponentially in original spec and so does its appearance to most, but wouldn't grudge a classic car owner if he wants to take the easy way out and put in new age radials, bucket seats, seat belts, tubeless tyres etc to modernise his ride in a retro form.

It's finally what the owner wants to do with his vehicle, if someone really wants to use the Fiat 1100 milicento regularly or even on weekends rather than just as a show car then bucket seats, alloys, tubeless radials, external rear view mirrors, a decent audio system do make sense.

Mine is more original that this one (but still with bucket seats to accomodate my hulky bulk), and presently is not in great shape, but wouldn't sell mine even for much more than than the expected 2L that this one has as the asking amount. It is finally about what the car means to you.

Last edited by ACM : 24th February 2011 at 17:00.
ACM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2011, 01:41   #2867
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunishsamuel View Post
Heard tvm, cochin, thrissur and kottayam got couple of W126 and W 123 300D 5 speed gearbox models but the agents seem to be hiking up prices crazily. Found a poor condition 240D but agent wants an upward 6L for the car
Doesn't sound too hard to believe. I've been looking for a well kept W123 in Bombay for the past year. Haven't had any luck.

Just took a TD of a 240D Automatic today. Sadly, it needs alot of work - A/c has been changed, tranny is not shifting correctly, lots of rust spots on the repaint, gauge cluster is cracked etc etc.

Is it worth salvaging? Probably. But only at the right price
Screwdriva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2011, 12:02   #2868
BHPian

Congrats! Please post the pics so that we can suggest you. But being a true Tesm-BHPian, I would request you to salvage it but keeeping the cost in mind please take a call appropriately. 240s are very hard to get in India. you can get 200s & 300s in W123.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwdriva View Post
Doesn't sound too hard to believe. I've been looking for a well kept W123 in Bombay for the past year. Haven't had any luck.

Just took a TD of a 240D Automatic today. Sadly, it needs alot of work - A/c has been changed, tranny is not shifting correctly, lots of rust spots on the repaint, gauge cluster is cracked etc etc.

Is it worth salvaging? Probably. But only at the right price
wartikars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2011, 13:56   #2869
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wartikars View Post
240s are very hard to get in India. you can get 200s & 300s in W123.

240D's are the most common 123's seen in Kerala, and TN, followed by the 200D's. The 300D's are lesser in number and the 5speed variety, even more so. Then again, petrol 123's are as good as extinct these days.

Last edited by JayD : 28th February 2011 at 13:57.
JayD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2011, 10:42   #2870
BHPian

Jay thanks for the information w.r.t. to the 240's. I was not aware about it as they are very uncommon in Maharashta (correct me again if I am wrong as I have not seen them here). The 300D's with 5 speed Manual Gear Box are rare. I luckily own a 300D with 5 Speed Gear Box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
240D's are the most common 123's seen in Kerala, and TN, followed by the 200D's. The 300D's are lesser in number and the 5speed variety, even more so. Then again, petrol 123's are as good as extinct these days.
Old 2nd March 2011, 12:27   #2871
Senior - BHPian

V W Beetle - Bhopal - Cars
beetle with gypsy engine.
as usual, no comments on asking price
ajay99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2011, 17:48   #2872

Quote:
Jay thanks for the information w.r.t. to the 240's. I was not aware about it as they are very uncommon in Maharashta (correct me again if I am wrong as I have not seen them here). The 300D's with 5 speed Manual Gear Box are rare. I luckily own a 300D with 5 Speed Gear Box.
I beg to differ on this. Most W123s I saw during my visit to maharashtra were 240Ds. especially in south bombay and Poona. And strangely i saw a very limited number of colors too. black, a light green and white were the common ones!
Vickyb18b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2011, 19:03   #2873
Senior - BHPian

I dont think 240D s are rare. I have personally seen many 240s, actually till the 300D was introduced, the 240 was the choice of most ppl.

Screwdriva, wass the one you saw a dark blue, LHD? If it is, id forget it!!
V-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2011, 19:20   #2874

Ahh gogiji, Isnt that your car? The one with the 'D' sticker at the back which is parked outside Mani's Lunch home!
Vickyb18b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2011, 20:14   #2875
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
Thats a extremely wonderful combination.
Whether the Gypsy engine came into the Beetle engine bay first or the VW buying of stake in Suzuki Motor Corporation preceded it?
anjan_c2007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2011, 21:50   #2876
Senior - BHPian

Aah... i think i remember this car, was with somebody living in Indrapuri/Raisen Road area in Bhopal near BHEL. I think then it had a stock engine.I think i had talked about this car in some threads about beetle population.
agspins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2011, 23:21   #2877
BHPian

Quote:
I second it Wartikar, its the same in Hyderabad too. I have seen a lot 240D's both LHD and RHD but a very few 300D's are available. Moreover here in Hyderabad the W 123 were fitted with a Matador 307 engine.

Regards
Muzzammil
Amaan_urs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2011, 11:10   #2878
BHPian

Quote:
The asking price for the car is also very high without the original Beetle engine.

And thanks to all my pals for giving thier inputs on the 240s. Thats the reason why I am always connected to Team-BHP.com. Its the best place to get the correct information about the beauties.
Old 3rd March 2011, 12:35   #2879
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But then .

The Jeeps without 4WD are called peeps.

Beetle with wrong engines/modifications/etc should be called Belittle.
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2011, 21:22   #2880
BHPian

I have now made up my mind to sell my W123 - 1983 - 300D model white in colour - Mumbai regd . Facing severe parking constraints in the society and unfortunately this one will have to go as would never want to park the same on the road. This is my daily driver and in very original condition including the original upholstery.

If anyone is interested do PM - serious inquiries only. Would love to sell it to an enthusiast who can take care of the car just the way I do.
67Bug is offline   Reply With Quote